BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-06-05 7:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: The Week Ahead
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Great Chesapeake 4.4 Swim is this Sunday . I did 2 miles in the pool in 75 minutes, it is hard to maintain a pace that is slower than your normal workout pace. I'm planning to have an average between 37-41 minutes per mile, just don't want to go out to fast on the first 2 miles and have nothing left for the last 2.4 miles and have to take a boat ride to the finish . Rest of this week is easy maybe a short bike ride tomorrow. TNT will do its silent mile on Saturday morning will stop in Virginia Beach on way up eastern shore to join the team and run just 2 miles out and back. Swim has an early start this year , buses start leaving for star at 5:30 AM wave 1 is off at 8 AM.

Tsvi - really looking forward to hearing how it goes this weekend. 4.4 miles will be quite an accomplishment! Also looking forward to seeing you up here next month at Chris Greene Lake!

Welcome Charlotte - look forward to reading your bio :-)

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2013-06-05 7:46 PM

2013-06-05 8:24 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I am entered in the Muncie Sprint Triathlon on Saturday.  Reluctantly I have decided not to compete.  When I entered back in January, we called Terre Haute, Indiana home - about 90 miles from the venue.  Then in February I signed several new clients, all in California, and my wife was laid off.  It was like someone was telling us we should move back to California, which we did over late February and March.  As I still have clients in Indiana, I have been telling myself for the past several months that I could justify flying out for the race.  The unfortunate reality is that it will cost over $1,000 dollars between air fare, hotel, a car, transporting my bike, etc.  I just can't justify that expense so that I don't 'waste' the entry fee - more accurately, my other half can't justify the expense (although I have to agree with her).  She was more than happy to point out however, that when I qualify for Kona, she is planning on three weeks in Hawaii and has no problem with whatever amount needs to be spent.  Surprised  Go figure.

Anyway, this weekend I will go down to the beach and go through the motions of a Sprint - couldn't do that in Indiana.  Grand-kids will be happy, they get a day at the beach out of it and I am happy cause I got out of the honey-dos since it's a "race weekend!"

Edited by k9car363 2013-06-05 8:30 PM
2013-06-05 9:34 PM
in reply to: k9car363

Subject: RE: about me
About 5 years ago,I completed my first sprint triathlon. Prior to that i had completed a century bike ride the year before i turned 50. I consistently trained for triathlons for about 3 years when family tragedy occurred last year that made training very difficult.

Prior to the century ride, i had never competed or participated in any other organized endurance event. Over the past 5 years, i have completed about 4 sprint triathlons and 2 olympic distance triathlons. My last race was a sprint triathlon in August 2012.

Family: Married for 21 years this month with 3 teenagers (18 years old (Benjamin) + 15 year olds X 2 (Samuel and Emma)).

Current Training: Today, i started training for an olympic triathlon on September 1, 2013.

Weight: My weight has remained between 130 and 150 pounds since my 2 pregnancies. I believe my optimal triathlon race weight is about 125 lbs. Most recent weight = 145.

My goal: To maintain consistency training and get faster in all 3 activities - S/B/R. I am very slow in all 3. Of most importance, is to enjoy training and continue to improve and make PR over the next several years. I would love to still be participating in triathlons when i am in my 80s.

Thank you for allowing me to join this mentoring group. I wish everyone a fun and successful triathlon season.

2013-06-05 10:11 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by k9car363

I am entered in the Muncie Sprint Triathlon on Saturday.  Reluctantly I have decided not to compete.  When I entered back in January, we called Terre Haute, Indiana home - about 90 miles from the venue.  Then in February I signed several new clients, all in California, and my wife was laid off.  It was like someone was telling us we should move back to California, which we did over late February and March.  As I still have clients in Indiana, I have been telling myself for the past several months that I could justify flying out for the race.  The unfortunate reality is that it will cost over $1,000 dollars between air fare, hotel, a car, transporting my bike, etc.  I just can't justify that expense so that I don't 'waste' the entry fee - more accurately, my other half can't justify the expense (although I have to agree with her).  She was more than happy to point out however, that when I qualify for Kona, she is planning on three weeks in Hawaii and has no problem with whatever amount needs to be spent.  Surprised  Go figure.

Anyway, this weekend I will go down to the beach and go through the motions of a Sprint - couldn't do that in Indiana.  Grand-kids will be happy, they get a day at the beach out of it and I am happy cause I got out of the honey-dos since it's a "race weekend!"

Seems like a smart decision to me. For the same money it will cost to travel to Indiana you could enter Sprint Tri's all summer long in California, sleep in your own bed and be much better off in terms of training and actual race experiences. I've done a number of out-of-state triathlon events that required air travel. Shipping your bike, getting it reassembled, finding a rental car that can haul your bike case, getting a hotel near the race, trying to get a decent night's sleep and figuring our the meal plan can generate a lot of stress that you just don't need for a race that was at one time convenient but now is not.

Good call.

Steve
2013-06-05 10:13 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

About 5 years ago,I completed my first sprint triathlon. Prior to that i had completed a century bike ride the year before i turned 50. I consistently trained for triathlons for about 3 years when family tragedy occurred last year that made training very difficult.

Thank you for allowing me to join this mentoring group. I wish everyone a fun and successful triathlon season.

Charlotte--welcome and thanks for posting!

Steve
2013-06-05 10:23 PM
in reply to: tkatzhyman

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tkatzhyman

Great Chesapeake 4.4 Swim is this Sunday . Swim has an early start this year , buses start leaving for star at 5:30 AM wave 1 is off at 8 AM.

Good luck Tsvi! Hope you have a great day.

Steve

2013-06-06 6:21 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Originally posted by k9car363

I am entered in the Muncie Sprint Triathlon on Saturday.  Reluctantly I have decided not to compete. 

I agree Scott, after all the complications with tri-travel that Steve brought up I think it was a very smart decision not to go. I am just starting to get into this also and I couldn't imagine doing one away from home. Have fun with your simulated sprint, it sounds like something I should plan on doing before my first tri. Good Luck!
2013-06-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
welcome Charlotte.

2013-06-06 8:57 PM

User image

New user
Welcome. We have a similar goal, I would love to still be writing my age on my calf when I am 80.
2013-06-07 4:48 AM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

thanks everyone for welcome to mentoring group. i would like to join weight challenge. today, my 56th birthday, i weigh 145.
My goals today are to attend crossfit class and complete training as planned for today - run + bike. I am hoping that in my 57th year i can have renewed enthusiasm for training and racing, and stronger adherence to healthy nutrition plan. Cheers, to everyone.

2013-06-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
Subject: The Weekend is nearly here
We've got quite a few in our group racing this weekend. Good luck to everyone who is putting their toe on a starting line. Most of all, let us never forget we are doing this because it's supposed to be FUN. So put a smile on your face while your racing. It's almost guaranteed to make it better.

Post up your thoughts and/or results so we can all learn from your experiences.

If you're not racing this weekend, please keep us up to date with your training.

Have a great weekend. Let's go out and pass somebody half our age!

Go get 'em!

Steve

2013-06-07 3:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by charlotte hobbs thanks everyone for welcome to mentoring group. i would like to join weight challenge. today, my 56th birthday, i weigh 145. My goals today are to attend crossfit class and complete training as planned for today - run + bike. I am hoping that in my 57th year i can have renewed enthusiasm for training and racing, and stronger adherence to healthy nutrition plan. Cheers, to everyone.

Hey Charlotte -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

2013-06-07 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

thanks everyone for welcome to mentoring group. i would like to join weight challenge. today, my 56th birthday, i weigh 145.
My goals today are to attend crossfit class and complete training as planned for today - run + bike. I am hoping that in my 57th year i can have renewed enthusiasm for training and racing, and stronger adherence to healthy nutrition plan. Cheers, to everyone.

Hope you had a terrific birthday!

I only do local races as well. As long as I can drive to my race, and stay overnight if need be, that's great. I can't imagine trying to get my stuff to a race halfway across the states.
2013-06-08 5:55 AM

User image

Welcome and good luck. My nutrition plan consists of getting everything out of the house that I shouldn't eat. If it's not there, I can't have it.
2013-06-08 1:32 PM

User image

New user

Happy Birthday Charlotte, sounds like it is going to be a fun one.
2013-06-08 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
Just finished tri number 4 for the season (sprint). Overall 8 th place! The new bike my wife bought me for father's day made all the difference in the world! On my old bike which is a tank, i was usually among the last finishers in the bike, today in the bike i was 3rd overall. I'm stoked, my best performance to date. Usualy after the bike ride i'm so spent I struggle through the run, not today....I can't wait for the Triangle Triathlon next month. While i was doing the tri, y wife was running the 10k, her first ever.

2013-06-08 4:13 PM
in reply to: Bull

Wow!! Congratulations to you and your wife!! What a nice way to spend a Saturday!
2013-06-08 4:16 PM

User image

I had been doing distance running and last year dabbled into triathlons. As I aged (currently 58) I found myself running less times per week because I seemed to get more injuries. Now, working up to my first sprint triathlon, I went from exercising 4 - 5 x per week to six and these last two weeks I've exercised every day. My rational is that since I'm not using the same muscles, I'm not going to hurt myself. Is this reasonable?
2013-06-08 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by Bull

Just finished tri number 4 for the season (sprint). Overall 8 th place! The new bike my wife bought me for father's day made all the difference in the world! On my old bike which is a tank, i was usually among the last finishers in the bike, today in the bike i was 3rd overall. I'm stoked, my best performance to date. Usualy after the bike ride i'm so spent I struggle through the run, not today....I can't wait for the Triangle Triathlon next month. While i was doing the tri, y wife was running the 10k, her first ever.

Very cool! Congratulations! What kind of bike do you have? Did your wife enjoy the 10k?
2013-06-08 11:39 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Bull

[/QUOTE

Great news! Congratulations on a great performance.
2013-06-08 11:45 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
Originally posted by b2run

I had been doing distance running and last year dabbled into triathlons. As I aged (currently 58) I found myself running less times per week because I seemed to get more injuries. Now, working up to my first sprint triathlon, I went from exercising 4 - 5 x per week to six and these last two weeks I've exercised every day. My rational is that since I'm not using the same muscles, I'm not going to hurt myself. Is this reasonable?

I think it's very reasonable to think you can exercise more often without the same injury risk as running 4-5x per week. I'm in the same boat as you (58). As a runner I was really struggling with constant injuries because my legs just could no longer handle the stress of running that much. As soon as I switched to triathlon, my injury problems pretty much went away...even though I'm now working out six days a week, sometimes with 2 sport days.

There is a great book called "Run Less, Run Faster." It was written by a couple of exercise physiologists at Furman University. What they concluded is that as long as you have the right running program (intensity, duration, tempo) you can actually run faster on 3 workouts per week and drop in other sports on the off days to build your aerobic capacity. But the run workouts really have to be focused. It's pretty good book and you can probably pick up a used copy pretty cheap on Amazon.

Steve

2013-06-09 6:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by b2run

I think it's very reasonable to think you can exercise more often without the same injury risk as running 4-5x per week. I'm in the same boat as you (58). As a runner I was really struggling with constant injuries because my legs just could no longer handle the stress of running that much. As soon as I switched to triathlon, my injury problems pretty much went away...even though I'm now working out six days a week, sometimes with 2 sport days.

There is a great book called "Run Less, Run Faster." It was written by a couple of exercise physiologists at Furman University. What they concluded is that as long as you have the right running program (intensity, duration, tempo) you can actually run faster on 3 workouts per week and drop in other sports on the off days to build your aerobic capacity. But the run workouts really have to be focused. It's pretty good book and you can probably pick up a used copy pretty cheap on Amazon.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll look into it.
2013-06-09 7:30 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: The Weekend is nearly here
Race Report for Lakewood Valley Triathlon in KY

Good/Best news first, I was the Overall Female Winner. Not the fastest time recorded for the overall winner in the 11 year history of the race, not the slowest time either. Haven't seen the official results but around 200 individual participants and I would guess around 40 females.
Race Report:
Beautiful weather for a triathlon with temperatures in the low 70’s.
SWIM – water was cool and felt great, did have some difficulty spotting and swimming through the crowd starting in a back wave. Second Female out of the water. Distance 880 – time 15:35.
BIKE – this bike course is challenging with all types of hills, curves and turn arounds. Average pace 19.7, time 45:1. First female off the bike with over a 5 minute lead.
RUN – Was told first female when I left transition. Survival is all I did here. Course is hilly and only about half the run is on pavement. I counted my steps to keep fast feet when I could, relaxed and recovered on the steeper climbs, then back to counting steps. The last hill is very steep and long; most participants walk up this hill. I could not let myself walk, in my heart if I got passed at the end I would never forgive myself if I walked. Time 28:00 – longer than 3.1, most people had 3.5 as the distance. They moved the transition over the years but have never moved the finish line.
POST RACE – All smiles –I love my 50’s.
2013-06-09 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Anyone looking for motivation today?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/diana-nyad/diana-nyad-cuba-swim_b_340...

"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Kay - 1st overall - WOAH!!!!!! And Congrats to Bull! 8th overall is fantastic!! And happy birthday to Charlotte :-) Dang, us old folks are making news!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2013-06-09 7:35 AM
2013-06-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: The Weekend is nearly here
Originally posted by Kay Ewing

Race Report for Lakewood Valley Triathlon in KY

Good/Best news first, I was the Overall Female Winner. Not the fastest time recorded for the overall winner in the 11 year history of the race, not the slowest time either. Haven't seen the official results but around 200 individual participants and I would guess around 40 females.
Race Report:
Beautiful weather for a triathlon with temperatures in the low 70’s.
SWIM – water was cool and felt great, did have some difficulty spotting and swimming through the crowd starting in a back wave. Second Female out of the water. Distance 880 – time 15:35.
BIKE – this bike course is challenging with all types of hills, curves and turn arounds. Average pace 19.7, time 45:1. First female off the bike with over a 5 minute lead.
RUN – Was told first female when I left transition. Survival is all I did here. Course is hilly and only about half the run is on pavement. I counted my steps to keep fast feet when I could, relaxed and recovered on the steeper climbs, then back to counting steps. The last hill is very steep and long; most participants walk up this hill. I could not let myself walk, in my heart if I got passed at the end I would never forgive myself if I walked. Time 28:00 – longer than 3.1, most people had 3.5 as the distance. They moved the transition over the years but have never moved the finish line.
POST RACE – All smiles –I love my 50’s.

How great is this!? Spectacular result Kay. Congratulations on a really great race. Hopefully you had family and friends around to help you bask in the glow of a big win.

Who can't get enthusiastic when looking down a sheet of race results and seeing somebody in their 50's beating on the 40, 30 and 20 year olds?

Well done, Kay. I hope the pleasure of your race yesterday will continue to inspire your for fitness for many days, months and years to come!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37