Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-07-01 12:42 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Welcome Gary - I peeked at your Sprint and I see it is in a lake. Make sure that once you've had some lessons go and get some practice in a comparable lake. Your swim background should help you but make sure you're comfortable in open water. I'm looking forward to hearing how your race goes.

Rebecca - Hang in and keep working towards your HIM. You'll do the best you can and you'll learn a lot. It won't be a waste of time. I looked at your log for this week and you're about as fast a runner as me, decent in the pool and not too bad on the bike (we all want to be faster). So you just need to work on your endurance (I'm not an expert by any means). You'll need to get some open water practice as well (I'm way faster in my wetsuit than in the pool) and the hardest thing to overcome is running off the bike so practice riding then running afterwards with as short a break as possible. If you're training to a plan keep at it. If not I've been following Gale Bernhardt's book for HIM triathlons to give you an idea of where you are in your training or where you should be.

Mike - I like the match book analogy it is very appropriate isn't it. I'd also like to see the calorie formulas if you get a chance to find them.

2013-07-01 8:26 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

George,

Thanks for the idea. Lake swims in South Florida are hard to come by, given the concern about gators. I did ask the race folks about gators and they said they never have problems for races. I'm sure race day, with hundreds of participants, is different than a lone swimmer! There are ocean swim possibilities here near that shore. That may be something I try at some point. I am still going to look into the lake swim possibility -- maybe I'll just add some jui-jistu or other martial arts into my training, so that I can handle the occasional gator if I run into one!!!

Gary
2013-07-01 8:38 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers
Mike,

I just joined the group. Read your intro, and I can relate. Have 3 kids, 9 - 8 - 5. Only one dog, though! I'm really impressed by your weight loss progress and goals. Wow! I'm totally new to triathlon, so I'm trying to get up to speed on the lingo! HIM = half ironman. Got that. What is 70.3?

Good luck with the training.

Gary
2013-07-01 10:33 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

Mike,

I just joined the group. Read your intro, and I can relate. Have 3 kids, 9 - 8 - 5. Only one dog, though! I'm really impressed by your weight loss progress and goals. Wow! I'm totally new to triathlon, so I'm trying to get up to speed on the lingo! HIM = half ironman. Got that. What is 70.3?

Good luck with the training.

Gary

1.2 mi. Swim + 56 mibike + 13.1mi run.
2013-07-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by PsyTri Mike, I just joined the group. Read your intro, and I can relate. Have 3 kids, 9 - 8 - 5. Only one dog, though! I'm really impressed by your weight loss progress and goals. Wow! I'm totally new to triathlon, so I'm trying to get up to speed on the lingo! HIM = half ironman. Got that. What is 70.3? Good luck with the training. Gary
1.2 mi. Swim + 56 mibike + 13.1mi run.

Also a half ironman, ironically.

2013-07-01 8:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Mike - I like the match book analogy it is very appropriate isn't it. I'd also like to see the calorie formulas if you get a chance to find them.

I've done a couple blog posts about nutrition, here is the link to one of them http://blog.ransick.org/2010/10/fueling.html. A lot of nutrition companies, like Hammer, have nutrition handbooks or FAQs. Most of the ones I read recommend taking in about 1/3 of the calories you burn, take in electrolytes and drink to thirst.

The burn rate numbers I use (which I got from someone on BT) are

Swim - 100 Cal / 400m 
Bike - .35 Cal / kgkm 
Run - 1 Cal / kgkm 

or

Bike - .26 Cal / lbmile 
Run - .73 Cal / lbmile

I have a spreadsheet I'll try to attach.

Attachments
----------------
calories_bike_run.xlsx (11KB - 18 downloads)

2013-07-01 10:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Welcome Gary - I peeked at your Sprint and I see it is in a lake. Make sure that once you've had some lessons go and get some practice in a comparable lake. Your swim background should help you but make sure you're comfortable in open water. I'm looking forward to hearing how your race goes.

Rebecca - Hang in and keep working towards your HIM. You'll do the best you can and you'll learn a lot. It won't be a waste of time. I looked at your log for this week and you're about as fast a runner as me, decent in the pool and not too bad on the bike (we all want to be faster). So you just need to work on your endurance (I'm not an expert by any means). You'll need to get some open water practice as well (I'm way faster in my wetsuit than in the pool) and the hardest thing to overcome is running off the bike so practice riding then running afterwards with as short a break as possible. If you're training to a plan keep at it. If not I've been following Gale Bernhardt's book for HIM triathlons to give you an idea of where you are in your training or where you should be.

Yo Bro

Regarding Calories burned.

Do you use a Garmin Triathlon watch (FR310XT or FR910XT) ? They are reallly useful in determining calories burned. They come with HR monitors and measure the increase in your heart vs. the workout done to give you a good estimate of calories burned. They can also be used
for multisport activities like triathlon it even measures your transition time.The FR310XT is the model before and come cheap now you can find one brand new at $150.

Cheers man

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-01 10:44 PM
2013-07-01 10:53 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys

Any of you tried using a snorkel while practicing on swim form and technique. The way I see it practicing in swimming form is one thing breathing is another. Being used to running and biking where naturally your respirations are elevated to cope up the increase in HR. In swimming i noticed you dont have the luxury to breathe as you want.Breathing should be syncronous to your strokes and its fast inhalation and long exhalations. Therefore its hard for the trainee while the HR is increasing and your breathing is slower, panic starts to erupt. I am wondering if the snorkel could be good tool for a while until technique and stamina in swimming is established ,then breathing can be factored in afterwards.

Let me know your feedback and insights on this.

Thanks

Carl
2013-07-02 5:31 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Here are the June end of month stats as of this morning for those that I have access to:
      SwimBikeRunTotal Time 
Wenceslasz22994.86342.1152.3443:19:39Great job, buddy.  Way to rock it.
iLOVEwaffles25300 455.90 64.00 39:10:06Great month!  2/4 bold ain't bad
miche033 15490239.7369.24 39:02:328 more minutes and you'd have had him!
strykergt 2825 201.83 84.46 31:08:17Hey, you got in a pool!   Awesome run total!
knighton 18044.19 218.22 66.70 29:51:20 
mbehr1983 16505 205.87 39.88 28:01:51 
Fresno_Joe 6000 237.34 74.05 27:37:12 
oriolepwr--238.7073.43 27:25:54 
superclydesdale 700 318.39 20.23 24:00:08 
TRIal_of_miles 3200140.90 -- 15:08:46 
cayrip --64.47 57.0014:53:21 
lesandtj 2693.61 194.8111.71 14:07:31 
cadnams --128.94 29.8913:23:06 
ransick --26.4 68.4 13:01:35 
Jax --94.4 52.98 12:39:53 
TomsTri-ing 2400 67.0912.00 10:22:32 
Sarah73135069.0433.06 9:51:23 crickets since 6/6
PsyTri430060.007.38:28:00 
kent2233------5:40:00 
johnthecat--34.2915.165:39:30 
Ybeal55025.728.184:03:41 
alishaarrr--------start logging!

Great job everyone!  There are quite a few who weren't logging the whole month for one reason or another, be it because they just joined the group or whatever, so I expect more competition for July.  My HIM is 8/11 so July will be a big training month for me as long as I can stay healthy.

2013-07-02 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Guys Any of you tried using a snorkel while practicing on swim form and technique. The way I see it practicing in swimming form is one thing breathing is another. Being used to running and biking where naturally your respirations are elevated to cope up the increase in HR. In swimming i noticed you dont have the luxury to breathe as you want.Breathing should be syncronous to your strokes and its fast inhalation and long exhalations. Therefore its hard for the trainee while the HR is increasing and your breathing is slower, panic starts to erupt. I am wondering if the snorkel could be good tool for a while until technique and stamina in swimming is established ,then breathing can be factored in afterwards. Let me know your feedback and insights on this. Thanks Carl
Hopefully one of our resident fish can provide more insight, but personally I'd be careful with the snorkel.  I think it can become a crutch, which really is what you're trying to use it for.  Can be more harmful than good.  A major part of the form and technique of swimming *is* the breathing, and the balance that comes with it.  Kind of like the difference between doing a pushup or using the bench press and using the machine that mimics the motion.  Take the balance completely out of it, being good at the machine doesn't mean you are good at bench press or pushups.  Bad analogy, but it's all I can think of.  If your form is bad enough to where you are not able to breathe, you really need to get some sort of coaching.

Although if your race director is cool with snorkels, and you want to use a snorkel during your tri, that changes the answer.  If you just want to become a better swimmer, I'd avoid the snorkel.  If you're looking for a tool, I think the pool buoy might be a better answer.  Help you stay upright so you can focus on breathing.  Learn the breathing then learn to become faster and more efficient, not vice versa.  That's just my $.02 and I'm definitely no fish, so take that for what it is.

2013-07-02 6:32 PM

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
That sounds good in text, but the problem is that breathing technique is a HUGE part of swim form. The biggest waste of speed/energy in my opinion is poor breathing technique. However if you have your heart set on using a snorkel use it for only a few sets in your workout, but like Joe said, don't let it become a crutch because if you use it for your full practice you'll be hurting come race time.

2013-07-02 8:00 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Carl,

I've never tried using a snorkel but have heard of people doing that to work on form.
2013-07-02 11:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I love snorkeling in clear water for recreation but I know nothing about training with a snorkel. The only thing I'd add to what has already been said is that in my local pool I almost never see anyone using a snorkel. If snorkels were a useful training tool I think you'd see them more often.

Just a thought.
2013-07-03 12:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by wenceslaszI love snorkeling in clear water for recreation but I know nothing about training with a snorkel. The only thing I'd add to what has already been said is that in my local pool I almost never see anyone using a snorkel. If snorkels were a useful training tool I think you'd see them more often. Just a thought.
There is one guy in my Masters group, must be in his sixties, he sometimes warms up with a snorkel. I think he might have a neck issue? But he only ever warms up with it. It should be noted I will never be as good a swimmer as this guy. I'd like to think I could outrun or bike him, but in a pool I might as well be standing still compared to him.
2013-07-03 5:22 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Did the same 40 mile 1400 ft climb ride today that I did Sunday.  Had finished a masters swim workout only an hour before starting, and I got started a couple hours later in the day than I did Sunday so it was even hotter.  By the time I finished it was 104.  Went much much better.  Didn't have any of the stomach issues.  Drank more than twice the amount I did on Sunday.  Ran out of skratch so I picked up some gu brew, I liked it.  Skratch is on the way though.  The blueberry and orange gu brews were delicious, the lemon/lime one was warm by the time I got to it and it tasted like lysol.  Anyways, the ride went well.  Went slower on the uphills and all in all took it at an easy pace, but finished more than 5 minutes faster than I had on Sunday, and felt much better throughout.  I'm left to assume I was sick on Sunday and probably would have ended up throwing up whether or not I went for the bike ride.  Which is a good thing.

Oh and I flatted at about mile 30, so I got to change a flat at 103 degrees.  Woohoo.

I burned a half a vacation day to do all this this morning, the swim and the long bike ride (well long for me anyways).  Totally worth it.

2013-07-03 5:50 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Guys

i am only thinking out loud using the snorkel as a training tool , but as per USAT rules is legal , but its still the rules of the program director. The event i am looking to attend to the director allows it check the link:

http://www.onurmark.net/#!faqs/ckpo

i am not looking to using one on the event day i am good with the wetsuit i dont want to look like this:

http://www.mediocreathlete.com/gear-and-equipment/what-is-this-i-do...

just finding this interesting:

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-03 5:56 PM

2013-07-03 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Guys i am only thinking out loud using the snorkel as a training tool , but as per USAT rules is legal , but its still the rules of the program director. The event i am looking to attend to the director allows it check the link: http://www.onurmark.net/#!faqs/ckpoi am not looking to using one on the event day i am good with the wetsuit i dont want to look like this: http://www.mediocreathlete.com/gear-and-equipment/what-is-this-i-do... just finding this interesting:
You were saying you would use the snorkel as a learn to swim aid and then take away the snorkel and learn to breathe.  Are you now considering just keeping using the snorkel and using it during your race?

2013-07-03 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Guys

i am only thinking out loud using the snorkel as a training tool , but as per USAT rules is legal , but its still the rules of the program director. The event i am looking to attend to the director allows it check the link:

i am not looking to using one on the event day i am good with the wetsuit i dont want to look like this:

I HAVE seen some peeps actually use a snorkel while racing. So yes they can be used. One had like a $900 wetsuit. He was also backstroking. So that can be done per USAT rules as well. Does not mean it's a good thing.

I also feel that it is a crutch As was said earlier, Breathing rhythm is so important. Snorkel would just get in the way of that. Best to avoid, if you don't REALLY need it. Just my opinion.

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-07-03 6:25 PM
2013-07-03 7:23 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by oriolepwr

Guys

I HAVE seen some peeps actually use a snorkel while racing. So yes they can be used. One had like a $900 wetsuit. He was also backstroking. So that can be done per USAT rules as well. Does not mean it's a good thing.

I also feel that it is a crutch As was said earlier, Breathing rhythm is so important. Snorkel would just get in the way of that. Best to avoid, if you don't REALLY need it. Just my opinion.

i am good with the wetsuit, but have to admit its funny to see one guy with a snorkel on raceday

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-03 7:24 PM
2013-07-03 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Fun thought: what are the funniest things seen at events.

I'll start with a couple:

Saw a person with their bib pinned to their wetsuit. It was funny to me later. When I saw it initially I felt really bad for him.

Aero helmet worn backwards- It does seem sort of to make sense.

I have seen three different versions of aero bars made out of plywood installed on bikes- racked up - YOU just might be a redneck.

Even more hilarity followed when I was passed by a guy with the plywood bars. Self -"Ok Redneck BUT a speedy one!"

Last year Chicago Tri- Me and "Q" were watching some of the age group waves, but in the midst of the swimming washing machine was this weird duck like bird. (I really don't know WHAT it was) He would dive under the swimmers then pop up like 30 seconds later int he midst of things. He did this again and again. Guess he was fishing. Anyhow NONE of the swimmers seemed to know he was there. It was really funny. I have video of this somewhere. It's as if the duck was saying " I don't give a sh$t!, this is MY fishing grounds and I'm just going to do my thing screw you all!"

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-07-03 8:01 PM
2013-07-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Veteran
Well gang, I think I've come to the conclusion that this will be only a training year. My job is stressing me out to the max and I don't feel like training. I do, here and there, but I'm just not comfortable. My swim hasn't improved much, well maybe some, and I really want to get better at it.

I am not quitting the group, just being realistic. I plan on going for a long bike ride on Saturday, and run later this morning.

I will volunteer for the NJ Tri and the NYC Tri this month so I can race next year. I am setting my sites on the NYC Oly next summer as my first Oly and I really want my swimming to improve before I jump into the Hudson River! (Yes, the same river the plane "landed" in).

I'm wishing everyone good luck in there races this summer and I am eyeing a 10K and or HM later this fall.

May the Legs be with You!

Tom

2013-07-04 10:43 AM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

Well gang, I think I've come to the conclusion that this will be only a training year. My job is stressing me out to the max and I don't feel like training. I do, here and there, but I'm just not comfortable. My swim hasn't improved much, well maybe some, and I really want to get better at it.

I am not quitting the group, just being realistic. I plan on going for a long bike ride on Saturday, and run later this morning.

I will volunteer for the NJ Tri and the NYC Tri this month so I can race next year. I am setting my sites on the NYC Oly next summer as my first Oly and I really want my swimming to improve before I jump into the Hudson River! (Yes, the same river the plane "landed" in).

I'm wishing everyone good luck in there races this summer and I am eyeing a 10K and or HM later this fall.

May the Legs be with You!

Tom

Hey Tom, you can join me in the not racing category. My job became much more stressful and started requiring frequent travel last fall and I decided I wasn't racing this year either. Racing is stressful for me and work is too and I decided to on,y do the one that pays the bills. That's why I've been mostly just running. It's the simplest of the three disciplines though I should probably throw some cycling in to save my knees.
2013-07-04 12:28 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Tom

Dont quit yet, since you will be on a break why not focus on swimming first. Try to get help from a swim instructor. I was hesitant at first because i find it expensive.I first tried to get help on my bike when i dropped $300 on a pro fitter it made a whole lot of difference. Therefore i decided next help i need is with a swim instructor for someone who is a state swimmer,10 yrs swim team coach and two time IM, she only charged me $50.00 per session and $20.00 per group session. I would say thats a steal. Maybe an instructor will make it more fun.

Good luck man.!!!

@Mike
"running. It's the simplest of the three disciplines"

Very True!!

2013-07-04 2:15 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by oriolepwr

Fun thought: what are the funniest things seen at events.

I'll start with a couple:

Saw a person with their bib pinned to their wetsuit. It was funny to me later. When I saw it initially I felt really bad for him.

Aero helmet worn backwards- It does seem sort of to make sense.

I have seen three different versions of aero bars made out of plywood installed on bikes- racked up - YOU just might be a redneck.

Even more hilarity followed when I was passed by a guy with the plywood bars. Self -"Ok Redneck BUT a speedy one!"

Last year Chicago Tri- Me and "Q" were watching some of the age group waves, but in the midst of the swimming washing machine was this weird duck like bird. (I really don't know WHAT it was) He would dive under the swimmers then pop up like 30 seconds later int he midst of things. He did this again and again. Guess he was fishing. Anyhow NONE of the swimmers seemed to know he was there. It was really funny. I have video of this somewhere. It's as if the duck was saying " I don't give a sh$t!, this is MY fishing grounds and I'm just going to do my thing screw you all!"

A couple signs I've seen we're pretty funny. My favorite is "run like her husband just got home" :-)
2013-07-04 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by oriolepwr Fun thought: what are the funniest things seen at events. I'll start with a couple: Saw a person with their bib pinned to their wetsuit. It was funny to me later. When I saw it initially I felt really bad for him. Aero helmet worn backwards- It does seem sort of to make sense. I have seen three different versions of aero bars made out of plywood installed on bikes- racked up - YOU just might be a redneck. Even more hilarity followed when I was passed by a guy with the plywood bars. Self -"Ok Redneck BUT a speedy one!" Last year Chicago Tri- Me and "Q" were watching some of the age group waves, but in the midst of the swimming washing machine was this weird duck like bird. (I really don't know WHAT it was) He would dive under the swimmers then pop up like 30 seconds later int he midst of things. He did this again and again. Guess he was fishing. Anyhow NONE of the swimmers seemed to know he was there. It was really funny. I have video of this somewhere. It's as if the duck was saying " I don't give a sh$t!, this is MY fishing grounds and I'm just going to do my thing screw you all!"

Last race I did there was a guy about 1/3rd mile from the finish line in a brown robe with a sign: "The end finish line is near!"

I have never seen aero bars made out of plywood! Hilarious! Love the bird. Was it a loon?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41