BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-02-08 10:35 PM
in reply to: colleengt

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Originally posted by colleengt

Sorry I haven't posted on here much. To be a bit honest, I am somewhat intimidated here and sometimes feel like I am too "beginner" for you all. Anyway, my actual BT training plan doesn't start until March 3rd, but I am going to use Feb. to build up some running endurance. I have never been a runner so this is all new to me. I worked out at 9round this morning and then went directly to the gym and got on the treadmill. My plan was to do a quick warmup walk and then run but I ended up power walking for 10 min, running for 5, walking for 2, running for 2 and then walk for 1. There is no rhyme or reason for that, just what I did.

I was on the stationery bike earlier this week for about 20 min and I felt pretty good. I'm guessing most of you don't train on a stationery, but if you do, what can you do to make it not so uncomfortable seat-wise? I am going to go to a bike store tomorrow to get an idea of what kind of bike I will need and the cost. My husband says our budget is $200-$300 for a bike. Is that even reasonable? Would a Schwinn hybrid bike from Target work? I know nothing about bikes, obviously, I'm just not wanting to spend a lot of money on one until I find out that I really like riding.

Colleen you shouldn't feel intimidated if anything I think this group has a great range of first timers, some where in the middler's and experts, just get involved and ask away, we all have to start somewhere!

I did my first Triathlon on an old mountain bike that I bought 2nd hand from a friend for $80, as long as it gets you to the run. Once you know you like riding and Triathlons then work out how much you want to invest the price range is huge!

Seat wise I haven't found an overly comfortable one on a road bike but again if you are comfortable and it gets you to the finish go for comfort rather than speed. Plus some bike shorts with padding in!

2014-02-09 2:37 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Sorry I haven't posted on here much. To be a bit honest, I am somewhat intimidated here and sometimes feel like I am too "beginner" for you all. Anyway, my actual BT training plan doesn't start until March 3rd, but I am going to use Feb. to build up some running endurance. I have never been a runner so this is all new to me. I worked out at 9round this morning and then went directly to the gym and got on the treadmill. My plan was to do a quick warmup walk and then run but I ended up power walking for 10 min, running for 5, walking for 2, running for 2 and then walk for 1. There is no rhyme or reason for that, just what I did.

I was on the stationery bike earlier this week for about 20 min and I felt pretty good. I'm guessing most of you don't train on a stationery, but if you do, what can you do to make it not so uncomfortable seat-wise? I am going to go to a bike store tomorrow to get an idea of what kind of bike I will need and the cost. My husband says our budget is $200-$300 for a bike. Is that even reasonable? Would a Schwinn hybrid bike from Target work? I know nothing about bikes, obviously, I'm just not wanting to spend a lot of money on one until I find out that I really like riding.

it sounds funny but we are all here for the same reason colleen because we all find it difficult to train alone, I am definitely motived when I log on and got to everyones training log to see what they have been doing, I have already made a good friend (rival) in Tridimi.

for your running we all start in different ways, I think I just went outside and said today I am going to run. yes my wife sometimes thinks I mad.

it sounds silly but sit on your bum when cycling I have this thing when I scotch forward and end up on my crotch which is most painful

maybe you can take a look on ebay for a bike, most cyclist are selling last years bike as long as you don't mind a few scratches.
2014-02-09 2:39 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Chelmsford, England
2014-02-09 2:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Lanne

one other thing can we upload photo's to our posts, I am thinking it has something to do with the attach file after posting button at the bottom- Joe you seem to be the technical expert in our group

if you tick the attach file after posting button

then choose the picture

BTW, absolutely loving the new profile pic Lana, Awesome

Edited by Jynxy 2014-02-09 2:47 AM

(pic.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
pic.PNG (11KB - 4 downloads)
2014-02-09 10:07 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by colleengt Sorry I haven't posted on here much. To be a bit honest, I am somewhat intimidated here and sometimes feel like I am too "beginner" for you all. Anyway, my actual BT training plan doesn't start until March 3rd, but I am going to use Feb. to build up some running endurance. I have never been a runner so this is all new to me. I worked out at 9round this morning and then went directly to the gym and got on the treadmill. My plan was to do a quick warmup walk and then run but I ended up power walking for 10 min, running for 5, walking for 2, running for 2 and then walk for 1. There is no rhyme or reason for that, just what I did.

Colleen, always set your own goals. No matter how hard you train, there will always be better people than you. We are here to get motivated about triatlhon and going out and just do that run/swim/bike training! And for that running, I have a running plan for starters to get you going from 0 to 5km in 10 weeks in a healthy way. About every training the first 5 weeks consist out of running and walking. I used this 2 years ago to start running.

As far for the stationary bike, it's pure evil I tell you!! I have been riding my bike for 8-ish years and allthough I never had problems with my bottom but a stationary bike is always uncomfortable to me.

About your bike budget, there are two things you can do. One way is to buy a low budget bike, like the plan is now. The other way is to buy something decent, take good care of it and sell it for still a reasonable price after a year if you don't like biking.

2014-02-09 2:58 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by colleengt Sorry I haven't posted on here much. To be a bit honest, I am somewhat intimidated here and sometimes feel like I am too "beginner" for you all. Anyway, my actual BT training plan doesn't start until March 3rd, but I am going to use Feb. to build up some running endurance. I have never been a runner so this is all new to me. I worked out at 9round this morning and then went directly to the gym and got on the treadmill. My plan was to do a quick warmup walk and then run but I ended up power walking for 10 min, running for 5, walking for 2, running for 2 and then walk for 1. There is no rhyme or reason for that, just what I did. I was on the stationery bike earlier this week for about 20 min and I felt pretty good. I'm guessing most of you don't train on a stationery, but if you do, what can you do to make it not so uncomfortable seat-wise? I am going to go to a bike store tomorrow to get an idea of what kind of bike I will need and the cost. My husband says our budget is $200-$300 for a bike. Is that even reasonable? Would a Schwinn hybrid bike from Target work? I know nothing about bikes, obviously, I'm just not wanting to spend a lot of money on one until I find out that I really like riding.

Colleen, you are exactly why the mentor program is here.  When I started four years ago I knew absolutely nothing as well.  I'm still learning four years later!  Do not be intimidated--you are where you are and this is where you start.  I think you're smart to start off with a relatively inexpensive bike until you decide this is something you really want to commit to. 

As far as the bike seat issue, it's partly just something to get used to.  I imagine the stationary bike seats aren't the best, but if that's what you have to use to get some cycling in, your butt will get used to it.  When you get your own bike, you'll need to spend some time on it to really see how you'll adjust to the seat, but that will take some time on the bike.  Also, you'll want to invest in a good pair of tri shorts as well--there is some padding in the shorts and that helps.

Keep posting, keep asking questions, keep coming back.  We are all here for each other!

2014-02-09 4:44 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

today's run was hard- tell me it gets easier! I did 5.36 miles outside, it was cold, and I jsut never felt great during the run. Good, but not that feeling of "I can keep going forever like this". I know it'll improve, but I'm ready to go out and run without trying decide if I need 4 or 5 layers of clothing today. Come on Spring!!!!

2014-02-09 9:52 PM

Elkhorn, Nebraska
Thank you everyone! I know I will be fine and some day I will learn the lingo and know what you guys are talking about. My question today is what kind of questions should I ask somebody that is selling a bike? There is an ad on craigslist for a Marin Bridgeview 7 speed for $250. I'm guessing the seller means Bridgeway. It fits in my budget but I think I will want to have it tuned at a bike shop so that will be another $80. I think I could negotiate the price down a bit, but even if I go look at it, I have no idea what I should be looking for/at. That is where you all come in. Any advice?

Edited by colleengt 2014-02-09 11:16 PM
2014-02-10 1:01 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by el penguino

today's run was hard- tell me it gets easier! I did 5.36 miles outside, it was cold, and I jsut never felt great during the run. Good, but not that feeling of "I can keep going forever like this". I know it'll improve, but I'm ready to go out and run without trying decide if I need 4 or 5 layers of clothing today. Come on Spring!!!!

how was your build up to the run, was it first thing or afternoon run.

I often find my early morning runs are always great, whereas I have had to change to running in the afternoon and if I do not eat right through the day the training can be horrendous, but as I have heard many a times its the hard training sessions that build you for the races.

if it was easy everybody would be doing it

keep on going Nancy, just think of me right behind you and pushing you on.

Edited by Jynxy 2014-02-10 1:03 AM
2014-02-10 1:07 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Thank you everyone! I know I will be fine and some day I will learn the lingo and know what you guys are talking about. My question today is what kind of questions should I ask somebody that is selling a bike? There is an ad on craigslist for a Marin Bridgeview 7 speed for $250. I'm guessing the seller means Bridgeway. It fits in my budget but I think I will want to have it tuned at a bike shop so that will be another $80. I think I could negotiate the price down a bit, but even if I go look at it, I have no idea what I should be looking for/at. That is where you all come in. Any advice?

I think the main thing you should do is take it for a spin test all the components while your out make sure that everything works. then stop while you are out and alone with the bike and take a very good look at it, turn it over onto its seat and look for any cracks on the tubing. most of the time you can judge a genuine seller just be cautious.
2014-02-10 1:08 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
good morning all,

had a good last week didn't miss a session and even added in some footie (so technically no rest day, I know bad thing) this week is a recovery week so nice easy paces.
the week before last my weight showed a gain of 0.4kg which was acceptable as I had been ill that week and been out the night before my weigh in but this week shows a loss of 2.2kgs. (4.8lbs) I am not looking to lose that much each week I believe it is accumulative over the 2 weeks.

2014-02-10 2:43 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy

one other thing can we upload photo's to our posts, I am thinking it has something to do with the attach file after posting button at the bottom- Joe you seem to be the technical expert in our group

then choose the picture

Lol, thanks Joe, I normally hate my photo's but believe it or not this one is from the morning of my first triathlon at about 4.30am I was so excited!

I am getting used to all the tools available on this site, here goes trying to post a pic from morning ride it was beautiful! sorry to rub it in for everyone who has snow atm

(01a02217cade381d0f698cbabdaa1d832de179a95f.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
01a02217cade381d0f698cbabdaa1d832de179a95f.jpg (939KB - 3 downloads)
2014-02-10 2:48 AM

User image

good morning all,

had a good last week didn't miss a session and even added in some footie (so technically no rest day, I know bad thing) this week is a recovery week so nice easy paces.
the week before last my weight showed a gain of 0.4kg which was acceptable as I had been ill that week and been out the night before my weigh in but this week shows a loss of 2.2kgs. (4.8lbs) I am not looking to lose that much each week I believe it is accumulative over the 2 weeks.

Thats awesome Jynxy, I liek the accumulative its all relative to what goes on in other life besides training life!
2014-02-10 4:37 AM

User image

then choose the picture

Lol, thanks Joe, I normally hate my photo's but believe it or not this one is from the morning of my first triathlon at about 4.30am I was so excited!

I am getting used to all the tools available on this site, here goes trying to post a pic from morning ride it was beautiful! sorry to rub it in for everyone who has snow atm

Put me in the group of has snow and is most definitely jealous!! Looks beautiful.
2014-02-10 4:40 AM

User image

Originally posted by el penguino

how was your build up to the run, was it first thing or afternoon run.

I often find my early morning runs are always great, whereas I have had to change to running in the afternoon and if I do not eat right through the day the training can be horrendous, but as I have heard many a times its the hard training sessions that build you for the races.

if it was easy everybody would be doing it

keep on going Nancy, just think of me right behind you and pushing you on.

I hadn't thought about it, really. It was a late morning run- before lunch. But had pancakes and cereal for breakfast, and some wine the night before, so maybe all that really affected how I felt. I never really got into a good breathing rhythm. Hopefully today will be better! Planning a run and if I can fit it in, a swim. If not, I'll try out my new basic bike trainer
2014-02-10 7:02 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome back Colleen! 

Please don't be intimidated.  The mentor program is intended to provide support and encouragement, and is a place to ask questions.  I'm glad you got to the gym and are doing some workouts on the stationary bike and treadmill. 

Seat comfort.  As you ride more, it'll get easier to sit on the seat.  It takes time to toughen up the butt, even for me.  I haven't been riding much, so I can tell you I'd be pretty antsy after an hour on the trainer because it is soooo uncomfortable.  (I've done 6+ hour rides before, and I did 4 hour rides last summer, so an hour shouldn't be difficult, but it is.)  The wide seats may appear comfortable, but it's hard to set up a good position and ride efficiently.  Make sure your seat height is about right.  When set up right, much of your weight is supported on your feet, not on your butt.  Put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke and your leg should be almost straight.  If your knee is bent, you can't put a lot of weight on the pedals so it all goes into the seat. 

Road bikes at a bike shop start at about $700 (plus you'll want a helmet, pump or inflator, tool bag, spare tube, bike computer, etc.)  Do you have a bicycle already?  Even if you have an old mountain bike, clean it up, air up the tires, and start riding it.  I have seen people do a HIM (56 mile bike ride) on a mountain bike.  If you or your husband are mechanically inclined, you can look for used road bikes, but there is no such thing as a "cheap bike" if you have to take it to the bike shop for service.  Assuming you find a used bike for $100, a set of tires and tubes can run $60-80 and a tune-up (without replacing cables) $80.  You can easily get into $250 to have the bike shop replace brake pads (you can do this yourself) and cables and the rest of the tune-up.  Truing wheels (if they wobble when you spin them) can be $20-30 each.  When looking at used bikes, "late model" bikes (a 2-3 year old Trek for example) aren't usually much cheaper than a new bike (maybe $400 instead of $700).  You can pick up a "vintage" bike (steel frame, downtube shifters, etc.) in the $100-300 range, but you'll want some money set aside to clean it up and get it back into service.  For used bikes, it can be hard to find cracks or know what damage is a problem and what isn't. 

Think some about what kind of riding you want to do.  A road bike has the lowest rolling resistance and will be relatively light and aerodynamic, but you'll be riding bent over (even with your hands on the top of the handlebars).  Road bikes have delicate tires...(thin rubber for lower weight) so you'll spend a lot of time watching for glass and debris and fixing flat tires (unless you get something like Continental Gatorskin tires).  Mountain bikes have big, fat, knobby tires, heavier frames, and a more upright riding position.  Not as efficient or aerodynamic, but you'll spend less time avoiding glass or potholes.  You might look at the hybrid/city/fitness bikes (available at big-box stores as well as bike shops or the Schwinn you mention).  They're not as light weight as road bikes and the tires are in between road tires and mountain tires.  (Road tires might be labeled 700x23C.  700 is the wheel diameter, 23 is the tire width in millimeters.  Fitness bikes might have 700x35C tires.  Mountain bikes might have 26x2.125 tires.)  You can buy smooth tires for your mountain bike but may have to go online or visit your local bike shop.   If the Schwinn is what you can afford, buy it and ride it!  And ride it and ride it some more!  I use my mountain bike with a rack and paniers to run errands (go to the library, store, etc.).  It is still riding! 

2014-02-10 7:08 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
I saw that Colleen mentioned being intimidated that she was too knew and I know just how she feels but from an opposite perspective. I have been doing this for a while but there's so much stuff I don't know, I feel intimidated to ask a lot of the time as much of it is personal insecurities too. I think we're all here because we're at a stage of development where we need to have support - regardless of if we've raced before or never even ran.

So, here goes, I've been ill with a cold for the past week. It's not that bad and a lot of the time I'm not even treating it with anything but when I've done hard training (long runs or hard circuits) I'm getting a pain in my chest. It's hard to describe (and it's not a heart thing I don't believe) but it's almost like I've got sore lungs. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to treat?

This week is another busy one with work, last week was so called recovery and for the first time in ages I managed to stick to the plan so I'm super pleased at being able to do that. I'm working on increasing the mileage for the runs (1/2 marathon coming up in March) and the bike (I have a training camp booked in Mallorca and will need to get in some long rides to be able to cope with that). The super exciting thing is that next Sunday I'm taking my final accreditation at the Velodrome. It opened in Glasgow last year and I've passed staged 1 - 3 with only number 4 to go and it's really exciting to thing I'll be allowed on unaided if I pass.

Hope you're all having a good week.

Kate
2014-02-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

I'm not saying it is BUT the pain you feel in your lungs could be an infection of the airways. Most of the time an infection of the airways feels painfull and makes you cough a lot. The pain is more or less situated behind the breastbone and not actually in the lungs. This CAN get bad as it mostly doesn't gives you fever or a really ill feeling. It can't really be treated with antibiotics as it is a virus and and not a bacteria. Another possbility can be that you train so hard, you inhale a lot of very cold air in through the mouth. This can make your airways feel painfull too. But when in doubt, go see the GP.

@colleen

Forget about that 7 speed, not much materials are still made for it. 8-9-10 (or 11 speed) is still manufactured. Replacement parts for 7 speed can be hard to find.

2014-02-10 10:14 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Originally posted by Tridimi

I'm not saying it is BUT the pain you feel in your lungs could be an infection of the airways. Most of the time an infection of the airways feels painfull and makes you cough a lot. The pain is more or less situated behind the breastbone and not actually in the lungs. This CAN get bad as it mostly doesn't gives you fever or a really ill feeling. It can't really be treated with antibiotics as it is a virus and and not a bacteria. Another possbility can be that you train so hard, you inhale a lot of very cold air in through the mouth. This can make your airways feel painfull too. But when in doubt, go see the GP.

Thanks for the advice, it's not making me cough and only seems to come on after a long time or at the height of stressful exercise. If it's a virus then there's little that can be done so I'll just keep an eye on it for the next week and see if it resolves.

Thanks,
Kate
2014-02-10 1:53 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Well just to make you feel better it was a lovely day here today, rain pouring down with the sun out. My ride however was the best so far by far !!!

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1885KB - 4 downloads)
2014-02-10 2:45 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

2014-02-10 4:38 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Forget that rainbow, just give me that bike!

2014-02-10 7:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Kate,

Ask questions.  You may not be the only person interested in the answer. 

If you aren't feeling well, ask yourself whether you can accomplish a quality workout.  If not, skip the workout and rest.  If you can get a decent workout, or need the stability or "normality" provided by the workout, do something even if it isn't the whole workout as planned.  Chest colds are no fun whether you are exercising or not.  Avoid workouts if you are feverish.  If your symptoms are below the neck (chest congestion) avoid working out, but it is ok to do something if you have a sore throat or nasal congestion. 

Edited by McFuzz 2014-02-10 7:43 PM
2014-02-11 1:50 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Tridimi

Forget that rainbow, just give me that bike!

I might let you touch it as I go past.

(ill obviously be behind from the swim)
2014-02-11 1:55 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

If we compete in a tri, all you will ever see is the back of my head.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37450 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.