BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-02-11 8:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: swim building endurance
so, any recommendations for building endurance on the swim? right now, I'm doing shorter distances with rests (see below), but I know I need to build up to a longer swim for even a sprint tri. It's hard to do 100m swimming for me right at this moment without stopping. Here's what I did today:

100 free warm up
200 (4X 50m, 30 sec rests between)
25 fast, 25 breast
200 (50m, 30 sec rests)
25 fast, 25 breast
200 (50 free, 25 breast, 25 free, 30 sec rest. repeat)
25 fast, 25 breast
25 fast, 25 breast
100 cool down- slow free.
rests about 1 minute after every line.

thanks!

Edited by el penguino 2014-02-11 8:15 AM

2014-02-11 10:28 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: swim building endurance

Originally posted by el penguino so, any recommendations for building endurance on the swim? right now, I'm doing shorter distances with rests (see below), but I know I need to build up to a longer swim for even a sprint tri. It's hard to do 100m swimming for me right at this moment without stopping. Here's what I did today: 100 free warm up 200 (4X 50m, 30 sec rests between) 25 fast, 25 breast 200 (50m, 30 sec rests) 25 fast, 25 breast 200 (50 free, 25 breast, 25 free, 30 sec rest. repeat) 25 fast, 25 breast 200 (50 free, 25 breast, 25 free, 30 sec rest. repeat) 25 fast, 25 breast 100 cool down- slow free. rests about 1 minute after every line. thanks!

While it may seem intuitive to swim 500 yards at a time to build endurance, you're better off swimming 10x50 or 5x100 rather than 1x500.  As you fatigue, your form changes and you may reinforce bad habits in the last half of those long sets.  Keep each swim short and focus on form (probably instead of "fast" even).  You're getting 1200 yards a workout when you add it all up.  How long is the swim for your target race?   You may find that slowing down just a very small amount lets you swim for a much longer time without feeling winded.  If you swim 100 yards in 2:00 and then rest for 30 seconds before swimming another 100, try slowing down to 2:15/100 and doing 200 straight. 

2014-02-11 10:44 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

While it may seem intuitive to swim 500 yards at a time to build endurance, you're better off swimming 10x50 or 5x100 rather than 1x500.  As you fatigue, your form changes and you may reinforce bad habits in the last half of those long sets.  Keep each swim short and focus on form (probably instead of "fast" even).  You're getting 1200 yards a workout when you add it all up.  How long is the swim for your target race?   You may find that slowing down just a very small amount lets you swim for a much longer time without feeling winded.  If you swim 100 yards in 2:00 and then rest for 30 seconds before swimming another 100, try slowing down to 2:15/100 and doing 200 straight. 

I t really does seem counter- intuitive! Not like running at all. The target for my race is like 700, I think? OWS on a local lake. I do focus on form during my laps, my swim coach suggested including a little fast each workout just to keep it in mind and to work on that too, a little, It's tricky to swim slow, I have to admit, and remember all the different aspects I'm working on at the same time. I'll keep going, it doesn't sound like I'm too far off where I should be and try to slow down more. I do eventually want to be comfortable swimming the longer distances, so I'm trying to build on my swims. I'll get there, I guess!
2014-02-11 1:00 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by el penguino I t really does seem counter- intuitive! Not like running at all.

Thats because swimming is like 75% technique so its obvious to spend most of your time doing smaller distances with as good technique you can do instead of doing longer distances and, like Mike said, let your technique get worse every training. Oh you will be able to swim longer distances this way too in the end, but at what cost? A very slow time and a lot of unnecessary fatigue.

Originally posted by el penguino It's tricky to swim slow, I have to admit, and remember all the different aspects I'm working on at the same time.

That's because you need to learn how to float and glide through the water. Floating without speed is hard if you don't have the natural feel for it.

Originally posted by el penguino I'll get there, I guess!

I'm sure of it!

2014-02-11 4:15 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)

First training with the club. And it was the first resistance training I had in about 15 years. I forgot how hard swimming can be. I got cramps from my little toe to my pinkie. I'm broken. (Feels goooood)

2014-02-12 12:42 AM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Originally posted by Tridimi

If we compete in a tri, all you will ever see is the back of my head.

PMSL, at you two great competition it would be great to watch you two compete!

I picture nails on the road arrows turned the wrong way, what was that race around the world cartoon called ?, cant remember but i think the evil characters were Dastardly and Muttley.

We would'nt know who to cheer for - Joe or Dimitri!

2014-02-12 12:43 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Nice photo Joe! great that you had some reprieve in the weather and it was a great ride
2014-02-12 12:47 AM

User image

First training with the club. And it was the first resistance training I had in about 15 years. I forgot how hard swimming can be. I got cramps from my little toe to my pinkie. I'm broken. (Feels goooood)

Nice work Dimitri, it feels good doesn't!

Good on you for joining a club, I am a bit nervous about that
2014-02-12 12:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by el penguino

so, any recommendations for building endurance on the swim? right now, I'm doing shorter distances with rests (see below), but I know I need to build up to a longer swim for even a sprint tri. It's hard to do 100m swimming for me right at this moment without stopping. Here's what I did today:

100 free warm up
200 (4X 50m, 30 sec rests between)
25 fast, 25 breast
200 (50m, 30 sec rests)
25 fast, 25 breast
25 fast, 25 breast
25 fast, 25 breast
100 cool down- slow free.
rests about 1 minute after every line.

thanks!

Hey Nancy keep up the good work!

I am know expert but I find swimming in a 50 m pool easier I think the too much turning fatigues you and you lose your rythym if that makes sense, sometimes for me even in the 50m pool I feel i have an awesome lap like I could swim for days technique perfect and then I turn and lose it. May help if you have one near by or can swim in the lake you will do the Tri in.
2014-02-12 12:55 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Ok nerves have kicked in today for next Tri, just checked out the swim course for Sunday first long distance in the ocean,since last panic attack, I need some tips to get past this as my husband is doing this one with me and wont be able to paddle next to me

I am feeling really good about the run, I think my PT is paying off there.

And I am questioning if I should ride with cleats seeing as I haven't done that much practice, but I think it is more controlled in the race than just riding on the road so I might be ok, ahhhh, what to do?
2014-02-12 1:37 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by Lanne

Ok nerves have kicked in today for next Tri, just checked out the swim course for Sunday first long distance in the ocean,since last panic attack, I need some tips to get past this as my husband is doing this one with me and wont be able to paddle next to me

I am feeling really good about the run, I think my PT is paying off there.

And I am questioning if I should ride with cleats seeing as I haven't done that much practice, but I think it is more controlled in the race than just riding on the road so I might be ok, ahhhh, what to do?

you need to eliminate as much stress as possibly from race day, so if you are not 100% with your cleats don't risk it, it will come.

2014-02-12 1:45 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

If we compete in a tri, all you will ever see is the back of my head.

PMSL, at you two great competition it would be great to watch you two compete!

I picture nails on the road arrows turned the wrong way, what was that race around the world cartoon called ?, cant remember but i think the evil characters were Dastardly and Muttley.

We would'nt know who to cheer for - Joe or Dimitri!

ive seen Dimitris picture hes definitely a Dick Dastardly where as im more of a Rufus Ruffcut

(dick.png)

(rufus.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
dick.png (32KB - 5 downloads)
rufus.jpg (5KB - 11 downloads)
2014-02-12 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Lanne Ok nerves have kicked in today for next Tri, just checked out the swim course for Sunday first long distance in the ocean,since last panic attack, I need some tips to get past this as my husband is doing this one with me and wont be able to paddle next to me I am feeling really good about the run, I think my PT is paying off there. And I am questioning if I should ride with cleats seeing as I haven't done that much practice, but I think it is more controlled in the race than just riding on the road so I might be ok, ahhhh, what to do?

Can you get in the water early?  Maybe the evening before the race, or a half-hour or hour before? 

Spend a lot of time visualizing a POSITIVE swim experience.  Start today...imagine swimming in a serene, blue, lagoon with a gentle breeze...how graceful and smooth and relaxed you feel in the warm water with colorful fish dancing over the coral below.  Now add a few waves, but keep the serene feelings...imagine how you feel as you come out of the water after a terrific swim...Now add some jostling from other swimmers, but you are still calm and relaxed...Spend a lot of time visualizing positive swim experiences and banish anxiety and panic from your mind.  Every time you recognize this, stop immediately and replace it with that calm, peaceful image. 

Prior to the race, get your mind aligned with that "happy place" like you've done all week.  If you get anxious watching earlier waves take off, turn around and watch the crowd cheering instead.  Keep yourself calm, and hopefully you had a chance to get in and swim a couple hundred meters to ease your mind. 

When the gun goes off, slowly count to 20 as your wave splashes ahead of you.  Let them go...watch the crowd for those seconds, and then start your swim in the relative calm behind the wave.  Chances are, you'll start catching others in your wave, but by then, the crowd will have thinned and you can easily swim around them. 

As for clipless pedals...do what is comfortable...If you aren't particularly comfortable with clipless pedals yet, skip them.  Your mind will be revved at light speed and it's easy to get distracted and have a hard time clipping in or unclipping and down you go.

2014-02-12 1:38 PM

User image

Elite

Love the trash talk guys!  We should have a McFuzz Triathlon--only you two race, the rest of us will be support crew!

Another super fast week here but have kept the training on schedule.  I had been doing an outside 8.25 mile hilly run every Wednesday morning before it got too cold out.  I had to switch to the treadmill in December and try to mimic the hills with incline work.  This morning I was able to get outside again for the first time in months--I crushed it!  I am always amazed that in my 40s I continue to get fitter and fitter.  I feel more fit now than I was a year ago.  I am just amazed that I continue to improve.  Training by heart rate has been a huge change and I believe that is why I'm improving.

Speaking of heart rate--a few questions.  First of all, the monitor itself.  I've never worn my monitor during an actual race.  Is it waterproof?  I'm not too concerned about heart rate in the swim but do want it for the bike and run.  Would I put the monitor on in T1? 

Another question--since I train predominantly in Z2--low to med, when I race do I want to push to upper Z2 or into Z3?  I'm thinking yes for my Olympic, but for the St. George HIM I would think I would want to keep that heart rate in Z2--it won't be so much about finishing fast but just finishing due to the difficulty of the course.  Any thoughts on these topics out there?

2014-02-12 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Great week for you Kim, and I'm glad that you're continuing to get fit and fast. 

Most HRM's are waterproof, but...if the watch has a plug to sync/recharge (like a Garmin 310) it ISN't usually waterproof.  Newer HRM's that charge inductively and link with Bluetooth are usually waterproof.  Look at your manual. If it isn't waterproof, go ahead and put it on in T1.  You may observe slightly higher heart rates during the race from the race-day stress and adrenaline. 

As for Z2/Z3...for shorter races, you'll probably be Z3/Z4.  For a HIM or IM, stay in Z2 when you can.  Obviously, you may have to get above Z2 on the hills at St. George. 

Edited by McFuzz 2014-02-12 4:55 PM
2014-02-12 5:25 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Love the trash talk guys!  We should have a McFuzz Triathlon--only you two race, the rest of us will be support crew!

Another super fast week here but have kept the training on schedule.  I had been doing an outside 8.25 mile hilly run every Wednesday morning before it got too cold out.  I had to switch to the treadmill in December and try to mimic the hills with incline work.  This morning I was able to get outside again for the first time in months--I crushed it!  I am always amazed that in my 40s I continue to get fitter and fitter.  I feel more fit now than I was a year ago.  I am just amazed that I continue to improve.  Training by heart rate has been a huge change and I believe that is why I'm improving.

Speaking of heart rate--a few questions.  First of all, the monitor itself.  I've never worn my monitor during an actual race.  Is it waterproof?  I'm not too concerned about heart rate in the swim but do want it for the bike and run.  Would I put the monitor on in T1? 

Another question--since I train predominantly in Z2--low to med, when I race do I want to push to upper Z2 or into Z3?  I'm thinking yes for my Olympic, but for the St. George HIM I would think I would want to keep that heart rate in Z2--it won't be so much about finishing fast but just finishing due to the difficulty of the course.  Any thoughts on these topics out there?

Hi Kim, sounds like you had a great morning even though you have been so busy, I hope I am as fit as you by the time I'm in my 40's. You can totally see how people get addicted!

I have a polar HRM not expensive it cant be plugged or blue toothed, probably did'nt really do enough research before i bought it, how ever it is water proof and i have wear it for races, but have had it not register during the swim so if your not fussed about the swim I would put it on at T1

2014-02-12 5:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by Lanne Ok nerves have kicked in today for next Tri, just checked out the swim course for Sunday first long distance in the ocean,since last panic attack, I need some tips to get past this as my husband is doing this one with me and wont be able to paddle next to me I am feeling really good about the run, I think my PT is paying off there. And I am questioning if I should ride with cleats seeing as I haven't done that much practice, but I think it is more controlled in the race than just riding on the road so I might be ok, ahhhh, what to do?

Can you get in the water early?  Maybe the evening before the race, or a half-hour or hour before? 

Spend a lot of time visualizing a POSITIVE swim experience.  Start today...imagine swimming in a serene, blue, lagoon with a gentle breeze...how graceful and smooth and relaxed you feel in the warm water with colorful fish dancing over the coral below.  Now add a few waves, but keep the serene feelings...imagine how you feel as you come out of the water after a terrific swim...Now add some jostling from other swimmers, but you are still calm and relaxed...Spend a lot of time visualizing positive swim experiences and banish anxiety and panic from your mind.  Every time you recognize this, stop immediately and replace it with that calm, peaceful image. 

Prior to the race, get your mind aligned with that "happy place" like you've done all week.  If you get anxious watching earlier waves take off, turn around and watch the crowd cheering instead.  Keep yourself calm, and hopefully you had a chance to get in and swim a couple hundred meters to ease your mind. 

When the gun goes off, slowly count to 20 as your wave splashes ahead of you.  Let them go...watch the crowd for those seconds, and then start your swim in the relative calm behind the wave.  Chances are, you'll start catching others in your wave, but by then, the crowd will have thinned and you can easily swim around them. 

As for clipless pedals...do what is comfortable...If you aren't particularly comfortable with clipless pedals yet, skip them.  Your mind will be revved at light speed and it's easy to get distracted and have a hard time clipping in or unclipping and down you go.

Thanks Mike, I will try the visualization, it is not the swimming part itself I am confident I can swim the distance. I'm not sure how much of our media you guys get over there but we have had so much media blow out over the recent shark attacks/shark culling it is causing wide spread hysteria! For example this morning I am at PT and all the girls were talking about where the drum lines are and how close they were to the shore because we can see them at the beach where we train and all I think is shark-swim- need the toilet.

That's why last time I did an Ocean swim I had my husband paddle for extra support, I know there are support crew out there it is just getting past that initial 200m-250m going out then once I am on the straight all I can see is the turn to the beach and I am good its just looking out to the Ocean that scares me.

Sorry being a bit whimpy!
2014-02-12 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I haven't seen much of your media, but I can certainly appreciate the sensationalism and that thought has been rattling around in my head the few times I've done open water swims (I did the King's Mile in Hawaii, a night time manta ray dive in Hawaii, and a swim at Tangalooma near Brisbane) knowing that I'm not quite the top of the food chain out there...

The commotion of kayakers and earlier waves should scare away any preditors.  (Easy for me to say half a world away...)

2014-02-13 5:54 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Allthough I have no problem swimming in open water, I have some weird fear of swimming over or between seaweed. I always have this feeling a snake or other preditory water animal will come out and attack. Meanwhile, swimming in filthy brown riverwater (yes, thats how our waters look here) doesn't scare me at all. And the weird thing is, I just KNOW i'm being irrational because as far as I know, there aren't any lethal water animals to be found in Europe. (Some nasty biters we do have).

2014-02-13 6:04 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Hi Kim, sounds like you had a great morning even though you have been so busy, I hope I am as fit as you by the time I'm in my 40's. You can totally see how people get addicted!

I have a polar HRM not expensive it cant be plugged or blue toothed, probably did'nt really do enough research before i bought it, how ever it is water proof and i have wear it for races, but have had it not register during the swim so if your not fussed about the swim I would put it on at T1

from my research, the HRM are mostly waterproof (but please do check first) there is only 1 I know of that will work during the swim (Polar T-31 coded straps due to the ANT+ signal) also if your wearing your watch as normal it will not record your swim as it will not be abe to fix a satellite under the water. (most people now wear them in their swim caps)

I don't see why everyone else should get out of a Mcfuzz Tri that easy !!!
2014-02-13 10:10 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jynxy  I don't see why everyone else should get out of a Mcfuzz Tri that easy !!!

Where would we all meet for a race? 

Given we'd have people coming from around the world...it should be a destination with interests beyond a race...Orlando?  (Relatively easy to get to with lots of vacation activities.

For a sprint, everyone should compete.  We can negotiate how much time to spot one another...

Meet up before the race, and a celebratory dinner after? 

2014-02-13 11:44 AM

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy  I don't see why everyone else should get out of a Mcfuzz Tri that easy !!!

Where would we all meet for a race? 

Given we'd have people coming from around the world...it should be a destination with interests beyond a race...Orlando?  (Relatively easy to get to with lots of vacation activities.

For a sprint, everyone should compete.  We can negotiate how much time to spot one another...

Meet up before the race, and a celebratory dinner after? 

as long as there is beer, I'm game. I'd also prefer something a little more outdoors for a locale- maybe we could have a Yellowstone tri? The lake is pretty nice. Or Yosemite?
2014-02-13 1:14 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Though i'ld love to meet up, my finances doesn't allow me to just go to the US and da a tri. At least not in the first few years.

@Joe

though you see me more as dick dastardly, I see myself more like this: (woman optional, though strongly advised)

conan

2014-02-13 2:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino as long as there is beer, I'm game. I'd also prefer something a little more outdoors for a locale- maybe we could have a Yellowstone tri? The lake is pretty nice. Or Yosemite?

I'll buy the first round of drinks if we meet up. 

Yosemite is relatively close to SF (spent a few days there after Vineman in 2011).  Yellowstone?  Beautiful, but a pretty good haul from any major airport.  (SLC is about 6 hours away).  I wouldn't want travel to the venue to be the endurance event even if it would be to my advantage.   

2014-02-14 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

That's why last time I did an Ocean swim I had my husband paddle for extra support, I know there are support crew out there it is just getting past that initial 200m-250m going out then once I am on the straight all I can see is the turn to the beach and I am good its just looking out to the Ocean that scares me.

Sorry being a bit whimpy!

I don't think it's being wimpy at all, we've all got things that scare us and they are many and varied!

Assuming that the course is going to be buoyed then you may find that when you get in there you'll only be focussing on the buoy and not really have to look out to the ocean. You'll see the others in front of you (unless you're a super fast swimmer!!) and you'll see how badly some people sight () ). Try to practice some sighting drills and if you have the time try to swim in the pool with your head down not sighting to see how 'off cours' you go before the race. That way you'll know how many times you need to sight to stay on track. It's lots for me and I still get it wrong at times.

Kate
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37183 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.