BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-02-13 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1208490

User image

DC
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS CANDACE, 2nd Pl AG!!
kerryleigh5 - 2008-02-12 9:48 PM

Thanks for the ab article--it inspired me to do some ab work after my run tonight. Is any one else too lazy to log stuff like that in the appropriate way though--it would take me as long as I spent doing it I feel :-)

Haha- definitely! I just write "abs class" or "hardcore BT workout". Logging each individual motion is wayy too much for me.

2008-02-13 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1208575

User image

Regular
wyndswept - 2008-02-12 10:45 PM

Hmm.. maybe a Deadhead. I did go to a bunch of shows back in the early 90's. And I still listen to them and go to see the bassist, Phil Lesh, at least once a year.

HA! I knew it!! Maybe we went to the same shows...
2008-02-15 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Regular
What do people have planned for the weekend?

I am thinking about running and biking.
2008-02-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1214037

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well, I gotta half mary in Pensacol, FL on Sunday.  Looks like we'll have temps in the 60s!  With rain and 20mph winds

No worries, though.  This is the last half mary of my 'run base' training.  Guess I'll just HTFU, get my shirt and medal, then go drink some Pale Ale while looking at the Gulf.  I'll also be stuffing myself with some raw oysters and watching cars turn left the rest of the day.  Ahh... gotta love that post race refueling plan.  Oh, and Miss. State plays Arkansas on ESPN Satruday at 3:00 (CT).  I should be in Starkville for that game, but I guess I'm too dedicated to my training (hard to type without busting out laughing).

Also my birthday on Sunday, which makes me wonder if I put the right age down on the entry form. 

Grace, you should probably get in the pool if you want to catch me.  I eased up today to give you a chance

2008-02-15 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Good luck on the half mary!

I'm hope to get in a 16-miler at some point this weekend, plus hit the pool for the first time in nearly two weeks.  Signed up for a spin class tomorrow too.

I bit the bullet and just signed up for the first tri I'll ever race -- an indoor, simulated sprint-distance at the end of march! Its not the real deal with transitions and whatnot, but I figure it'll help me understand a little more what "raceday" may be like -- and it'll get me hyped for spring training!

2008-02-17 7:30 AM

User image

DC
I'm painting all weekend. If I get back early enough today I'll try to swim but I have made reading to do. Good luck in your half mary Bill

2008-02-18 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS BILL PR and B-Day!!
Bill ran a 1/2 marathon over the weekend and according to his blog may have PR'd. It was also his birthday (that is more for sure). CONGRATS BILL!!
2008-02-18 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1218343

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
pshorty - 2008-02-18 10:09 AM

Bill ran a 1/2 marathon over the weekend and according to his blog may have PR'd. It was also his birthday (that is more for sure). CONGRATS BILL!!

Way to go bill!!! Sounds like you are having a great weekend!
2008-02-18 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

And the best part?  32 miles of beach front biking this morning.  Nice cap to a long weekend.

Ok, the best part was actually the beer and seafood after running on Sunday. 

2008-02-18 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
way to go Bill, congrats
2008-02-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1219110

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
sesh - 2008-02-18 6:58 PM

Ok, the best part was actually the beer and seafood after running on Sunday.

Congrats on the PR -- and into the wind!

I've got to agree with you, and runner Tom Flemming's appreciation for the post-race meal: "It used to be that I'd eat to run-and the more I ran, the more I needed to eat. But now I run to eat. I love to eat."

Had a burger and  a shake at the Toll House in Slingerlands yesterday, then as my penance ran back to the scene of the crime to work it off. Somehow, the food is more satisfying if you eat if after the run.

http://www.metroland.net/guides/best_of_2002/food_drink.html 

2008-02-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1220056

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-02-19 9:36 AM

I've got to agree with you, and runner Tom Flemming's appreciation for the post-race meal: "It used to be that I'd eat to run-and the more I ran, the more I needed to eat. But now I run to eat. I love to eat."

No kidding.  I've actually dropped two pounds since my last weigh in, and I've been stuffing myself.  Ah, the wonderful benefits of training.

So, who is on the clock for the next race?  March 15th looks to be my next one, and it's a 40km Time Trial. 

2008-02-19 11:46 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Oh, and that swimplan.com site is kicking my butt.  The drills make the workout seem to go by much faster, and I think they're improving my fitness in everything else.  I've written down all the workouts I've done so far, so if anybody wants them, feel free to ask.  I think I've put them in my training logs, too, if ya want to look there.  If you want to adjust them, you can add or subtract distance from the untimed parts, or add or subtract time from the timed drills. 

I am definitely a swim drill convert.

2008-02-20 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
I have to agree with you about that swim site. I enjoy my swimming much more now that I have a plan to follow.
My next race is 30km run at the end of March
2008-02-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1222902

User image

DC
natebs - 2008-02-20 8:17 AM

My next race is 30km run at the end of March

Yo' crazy.
I am looking for a good spring race...10k or so...but I'm trying not to die run-training before bay swim. Running's really hard for me and I need that energy for the pool
2008-02-20 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1222902

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

natebs - 2008-02-20 8:17 AM I have to agree with you about that swim site. I enjoy my swimming much more now that I have a plan to follow. My next race is 30km run at the end of March

One more vote for the excellence of the swim site. My workout went by like a flash today -- diversified, structured, with goals, and, therefore, fun. Thanks!

I signed up for a simulated indoor sprint tri, my first; its on March 30th.

2008-02-20 10:56 PM

User image

DC
Anyone figured out how to get longer workouts? The longest I could get it to generate was 2800 yards.
2008-02-21 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

This may not matter much for you in the the southern or Californian climes, but for us here in the hinterlands it may be a saving grace: one month 'till spring!

Earlier this week, tho, it hit 50 degrees here in upstate new york, and I was able to go to the local bike shop to road test some wheels. I'm probably going to buy used, so if you hear of anyone offering something in the 52cm range, please feel free to pass it on . . .

2008-02-21 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1225423

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-02-21 8:27 AM

This may not matter much for you in the the southern or Californian climes, but for us here in the hinterlands it may be a saving grace: one month 'till spring!

Earlier this week, tho, it hit 50 degrees here in upstate new york, and I was able to go to the local bike shop to road test some wheels. I'm probably going to buy used, so if you hear of anyone offering something in the 52cm range, please feel free to pass it on . . .

On my short list of things that I probably won't do again is a spring marathon (as long as I live in the North). It has been absolutely freezing this year with frequent snow. I don't really mind running in the cold and snow but I do run slower in cold and snow and I have no idea how my training is going really. Yesterday I ran mile repeats on 6:30 shooting for 10k pace (which would be 6:10). I was 20 seconds slower (at the right HR) but there was 3-4 inches of snow at times with a lot of ice, I was wearing a lot of clothes (12F), etc. Those could be real excuses or maybe I am just slower. I could run a real race but there aren't many around right now and plus they start at 8:00am which is fricking cold here. When I run marathon pace runs sometimes they feel good, sometimes they feel like I am sprinting so I really don't know where I am. I am running a half-marathon in Indianapolis three weeks before Boston so that will give me a better idea of where I am, but I would rather more to base some goals on than one race. Maybe, just maybe, it will warm up before then.

I actually grew a beard to protest the weather. It didn't work. Nothing changed and it just became something else that I had to clean everyday so I got rid of it. It then got colder. WTF!?!?

Anyhoos, that's just and I need to suck it up or start running in the princess division.

Chris--have you checked out roadbikereview.com for bikes? They have a pretty good classifieds with a good amount of road bikes with pics, etc. I will keep looking for you. I have seen your ads here on the BT classifieds. Not many choices yet.

-Paul

2008-02-21 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
CHRIS-YOU HAVE A PM
2008-02-21 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
have you tried "craigslist"?
I see bikes on there all the time.
I found my bike through the web page of a local tri-racing series

2008-02-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1226449

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

natebs - 2008-02-21 2:45 PM have you tried "craigslist"? I see bikes on there all the time. I found my bike through the web page of a local tri-racing series

I've begun to branch out to the local triathlon club sites, but began my search in the classifieds here. Have been a bit wary of ebay because of seemingly commonplace bike schemes -- and haven't had the time to research sellers to see who's dependable and who's not. I'm caught between wanting to do another months worth of heavy research in order to find something that is more likely to have the best "fit", really doing my work learning about the different frame brands and the unique angles of each.

Craigslist is a good suggestion -- will be trying there next. I'm beginning to err on the side of patience; I don't want to jump at something that won't suit my needs or may turn out to be a poor fit, particularly because I'm just beginning to learn about the equipment . . . your bike, however, seemed to be a really nice find, Nate . . .  Thats the kind of deal I'm looking for.

2008-02-21 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1226213

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
pshorty - 2008-02-21 1:20 PM
TheMaz - 2008-02-21 8:27 AM

On my short list of things that I probably won't do again is a spring marathon (as long as I live in the North). It has been absolutely freezing this year with frequent snow. I don't really mind running in the cold and snow but I do run slower in cold and snow and I have no idea how my training is going really. Yesterday I ran mile repeats on 6:30 shooting for 10k pace (which would be 6:10). I was 20 seconds slower (at the right HR) but there was 3-4 inches of snow at times with a lot of ice, I was wearing a lot of clothes (12F), etc. Those could be real excuses or maybe I am just slower. I could run a real race but there aren't many around right now and plus they start at 8:00am which is fricking cold here. When I run marathon pace runs sometimes they feel good, sometimes they feel like I am sprinting so I really don't know where I am. I am running a half-marathon in Indianapolis three weeks before Boston so that will give me a better idea of where I am, but I would rather more to base some goals on than one race. Maybe, just maybe, it will warm up before then. I actually grew a beard to protest the weather. It didn't work. Nothing changed and it just became something else that I had to clean everyday so I got rid of it. It then got colder. WTF!?!? Anyhoos, that's just and I need to suck it up or start running in the princess division. Chris--have you checked out roadbikereview.com for bikes? They have a pretty good classifieds with a good amount of road bikes with pics, etc. I will keep looking for you. I have seen your ads here on the BT classifieds. Not many choices yet. -Paul

Yeah, its not fun training for a spring marathon if you live in the north. And then there's the whole possibility that we might have another repeat of last year's Boston Marathon Nor'easter, which makes the prospect of a spring marathon thats actually run in the north doubly complicated.

However, even though I came in after my midday run needing a half-hour shower just to warm up, I'm enjoying the idea that this heavy training will establish a better than average base going into my first season doing triathlons. I certainly would not be training this hard in February if it weren't for the spring marathon. But thats the way I'm built -- I need to get in over my head before I actually motivate to do the preparation.

I've run more on a freaking treadmill this winter than I ever thought I would. A half mary on the tready? I nearly popped blood vessels out of sheer boredom. The thing that worries me on these really cold days is that I tend to tighten up quite a bit at the end of long runs, especially when I save the hills for the end (as I did today). I too notice that not only do my times and RPE fluctuate greatly day-to-day based on the weather and road conditions, but the way my body feels changes drastically as well. At this point, I'm trying not to worry as much about times -- simply trying to work at the RPE appropriate for that day's plan. We'll see where I end up for my test races in mid-March.

Oh -- and thanks for the bike site, Paul -- I'll be checking that out...

Nate, how ar eyou handling the cold? 

2008-02-21 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1226513

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-02-21 3:10 PM

Yeah, its not fun training for a spring marathon if you live in the north. And then there's the whole possibility that we might have another repeat of last year's Boston Marathon Nor'easter,

i've been meaning to ask someone who would know, what the hell is a nor'easter anyways??

However, even though I came in after my midday run needing a half-hour shower just to warm up, I'm enjoying the idea that this heavy training will establish a better than average base going into my first season doing triathlons. I certainly would not be training this hard in February if it weren't for the spring marathon.

I am going on that as well. Run much now and have a good base. Then I can bike more when it actually gets nice enough to ride outside.

2008-02-21 2:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

It was 72 degrees yesterday when I ran. 

Just rubbing it in.  However, I don't think you'll be envying me when I'm trying to get outside in August in the midst of a Mississippi summer.  You take one step out the door and you need water.

I think I'm about to buy a forward seatpost for the bike.  The LBS is getting them in either today or tomorrow.  It's first real test will be in that Time Trial on March 15th, then I guess I'll do some bricks with it when the tri training plan kicks in.  I'll let y'all know if it's worth it or not.  I guess it's been to long since I bought my last bike toy, so here we go again. 

Chris, my recommendations are a road bike with clip on aero bars, Look pedals, and a Shimano 105/Ultegra mix component set.  I've never ridden a 105 rear derailleur, but The difference in shifting between Tiagra and Ultegra was unbelievable.  As for frame, Specialized and Trek are probably the two most common manufacturers and therefore will probably be the easiest to locate used or for a pretty good deal.  Great frames, too.

In fact, you almost have to really search for a bad frame, because in the end, a frame is a frame is a frame as long as it fits.  Well, unless you are Cat 1/2/3 or a budding star of a triathlete.  Then you start getting all bike weenie-ish and look for light and stiff.  A guy at the Y yesterday asked me if I still like my Masi.  I said yeah, but saw where he was going.  He said he hated his because it was too slow and it couldn't keep up in a pace line with Treks.  I listened to him ramble on, all the while wanting to say "Your bike is not slower than other bikes, you are slower than other riders."  The dude has been riding on the road for LESS THAN A YEAR anway.  What exactly did he expect?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33