Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 140

2024-09-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: robertChiefsFan

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by robertChiefsFan

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

In today's homeowner fun story, we have yellow jackets that have taken residence in a little crack in our brick facing just under a box bay window on the front of our house.  They weren't there (or weren't doing anything) Monday, then yesterday dozens (hundreds?) of them flying in and out yesterday.  A call to the exterminator was made, and now it just appears that there are dozens of homeless YJs flying around banging into the house (I presume trying to figure out another way into the hive).  We didn't seal it as that is a bad idea until all are confirmed dead (they might work their way INSIDE to get out). 

I HATE yellow jackets.  Little F#*Ks.  We can't use our front porch at all right now and we're stealthily leaving through the garage. 

Oh no!! I have a legit phobia of stinging insects, and yellow jackets are mean little things. Good luck with that!!!

Did you move into my house, Mike?!?! That totally sounds like something we would have...except, not the nice box bay window. :D

Good luck with that. Yellowjackets are just @55holes...mean for the sake of being mean.

2024-09-05 2:07 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Easy 2 miles on the treadmill today. The Achilles appears to be agreeable so far, even walking around the house barefoot (well, with socks on because my toes get cold easily). I'm happy that nothing is sore after running!

@Gretchen, I wish I had your enthusiasm for tonight's game. I don't think I've ever seen the Chiefs blow out an opponent that early with Andy Reid as HC. I expect a close game, unfortunately, with the Chiefs coming out on top with some Mahomes magic to win 34-31.
- Also, do you carry pepper spray on you when you run, just in case? While you're probably able to handle yourself just fine...a little extra help could be useful. I see lots of ladies carrying pepper spray when I'm on the trails in the morning, and I give them a wide space as I pass them...just in case. A couple of them were actually holding it in their hands while running!

@Mike - take care of that ankle. Rest up and let it heal (I seem to recall someone on here giving me some similar advice recently...)

No pepper spray here. I used to run with the dog (a pit mix--sweet as can be, but looked mean when she wanted to), but then she got old and died. I rarely see anyone when I run in the early morning, because I live on the outskirts of what used to be a large town/small city and is now much more like a village. Ain't no one around to pepper spray! I've also heard horror stories about people spraying themselves accidentally, whether while trying to spray an attacker or not. It has to be one of the perks of living here.
2024-09-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

@Andrew--I have SEARCHED for a sports specific dietitian who knows anything about post-op bariatric patients. I went to the other side of the world--she's Australian! It was super hard to find her, but she has had success with a few other bari patients, so I'm hoping this is just growing pains. It is only day three! She has flat out told me that if I need to, I can simply eat candy to meet my carb goals because it is super low volume, but that she would prefer we try to do things with whole foods first, a philosophy I agree with! After 35+ years of diet culture being programmed into my brain, it is gonna take me a hot minute to wrap my brain around the idea of eating candy to meet nutrition goals though!

Yup, bariatric op Ironman athletes are definitely a niche market in the world of nutritionists, I can totally see how it's hard to find the right one. Sounds like you've done your research (no surprises there ) It'll be interesting to see how it's all going after a few weeks.

Eating candy for nutrition is a key triathlon skill! It doesn't matter what your brand of preference is, pretty much all our on course nutrition is sugar, with maybe a bit of sodium
2024-09-05 8:22 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat. Nice job on your 10k. 55:12 is a heck of a lot faster than the 'sub 60' you were hoping for. Nice job!

@Robert. Positive signs continue for your achilles. Good to see.

@Mike. Rest that ankle! I agree a homemade zero gravity treadmill harness is a disaster waiting to happen (If you did try one, please film ) But 4 days latter, still feels terrible? Not so good. Rest it up. And in the meantime, good luck for your infestation.

@Gretchen. Looks like a nice balanced maintenance plan. But, as you say you want to improve your run, have you given any thought to dropping 1 or 2 of the swim/bike workouts and increasing your run volume. Take it from someone who did a run focus, and is running the best I have in a decade (prior to the patella issues) running volume pays dividends. I know you like the structure a plan gives you, but the off season isn't just a time for maintenance, it's a time to work on our weaknesses, maybe do a single sport focus at the expense of the others and come back a stronger athlete overall.

@Me, My week is ticking along, doing the opposite of what I told gretchen and getting into a more balanced training load as my tri season nears (less than 6 months till Ironman). 2 runs, 2 zwift bikes, 1 swim and 4 S&M sessions so far. Coming up, Sunday is Mrs Bullfrogs final 5k walk. A bit of a hillier course than the last one, so not sure back to back PBs are on the cards, but we will try. She's already talking about graduating from walking and trying to do a couch to 5k program. So that's something to encourage

Have a good weekend everyone.
2024-09-06 5:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Easy 2 miles on the treadmill today. The Achilles appears to be agreeable so far, even walking around the house barefoot (well, with socks on because my toes get cold easily). I'm happy that nothing is sore after running!

@Gretchen, I wish I had your enthusiasm for tonight's game. I don't think I've ever seen the Chiefs blow out an opponent that early with Andy Reid as HC. I expect a close game, unfortunately, with the Chiefs coming out on top with some Mahomes magic to win 34-31.
- Also, do you carry pepper spray on you when you run, just in case? While you're probably able to handle yourself just fine...a little extra help could be useful. I see lots of ladies carrying pepper spray when I'm on the trails in the morning, and I give them a wide space as I pass them...just in case. A couple of them were actually holding it in their hands while running!

@Mike - take care of that ankle. Rest up and let it heal (I seem to recall someone on here giving me some similar advice recently...)

No pepper spray here. I used to run with the dog (a pit mix--sweet as can be, but looked mean when she wanted to), but then she got old and died. I rarely see anyone when I run in the early morning, because I live on the outskirts of what used to be a large town/small city and is now much more like a village. Ain't no one around to pepper spray! I've also heard horror stories about people spraying themselves accidentally, whether while trying to spray an attacker or not. It has to be one of the perks of living here.

That is not nice. There may be a perfectly good explanation but it's not a nice feeling. Out of interest, what's your black belt in?

I had to give up karate a few years back (at 3rd kyu) due to my wobbly knees but I loved it- Never felt so strong before and since. Abs of steel...
I used to joke I was going to visit dodgy aeras at night "hoping" to be attacked to see if I could defend myself.

2024-09-06 5:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
duplicate

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-09-06 5:43 AM

2024-09-06 5:30 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Black belt is in Tae Kwon Do. I earned it many years ago, but still practice a bit when I’m feeling feisty. I’ve also have some pretty extensive self defense training (taught it for a bit) and some boxing training. I have lightening fast hands, but HATE getting hit in the head.
2024-09-06 5:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

HATE getting hit in the head.

Well, who doesn't? LOL

good training for the start of the swim though!
2024-09-06 7:47 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (carry on)
2024-09-06 9:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

HATE getting hit in the head.

Well, who doesn't? LOL

good training for the start of the swim though!

HAHAHA! These days there are so few mass starts triathlon almost seems like a safe sport!

I'm sure we've all been kicked a bunch, but my most memorable was a sprint in Danville, IL in 2016. My sister was coming to see me race. She was late and didn't see me go into the water, but did see me come out. I had gotten kicked in the face HARD and my nose was bleeding a lot (probably broken, but I never got it looked at). My whole face was covered with blood, as was my trikit, and both of my eyes were beginning to bloom really spectacular black eyes. I had only kinda registered the kick, because it knocked my googles loose and I had to pause to empty and reseat them. I wasn't a very strong swimmer at the time and I ended up doing backstroke. I realize now that part of my breathing issues was probably the bloody nose/swelling! Anyway, I come up the boat ramp out of the water toward transition and my sister is standing along the chute and she, being entirely incapable of handling even the slightest "emergency," starts screaming her head off "what happened to your face?!?!" and the like. I'm oblivious and just say I got kicked as I ran by her. She was not amused with me at all.
2024-09-06 9:18 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (carry on)

Ditto!!

You're estimate of the game was much better than mine. Although, to be fair, my estimate was based on absolutely nothing but the desire to rib Mike, so...

2024-09-06 9:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Andrew--yeah, I've thought about adding more running to my maintenance plan. The problem is that I like swimming and biking so much more than running!!!! Also...totally gun shy about too much volume after my injury this spring. And no...I have no unfinished business with the marathon distance right now. Ask me again in a week or so... Was thinking about maybe tacking on a 15-20' run after each bike (if not already scheduled on a day when I have a run) to bring running frequency up to 5 times a week, since I'm already dressed and sweaty. We'll see.

So far, 2500yds in the pool today. It felt pretty good, but then again, all we did was swim 25s hard, which is always fun. Later today I have a Z1 run, which is probably gonna be a power walk, because I'm not sure I can run with high cadence in Z1. I can barely run with high cadence in Z2!
2024-09-06 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by robertChiefsFan GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (carry on)

Great game - a little sloppy all-around but wow those teams play fast.  Officials had a horrible night, too, but that didn't determine the outcome.  Size 10 1/2 would have won it!!! (or at least had us bemoaning Harbaugh going for two and not making it instead of tying for overtime LOL). 

2024-09-06 10:57 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Great game - a little sloppy all-around but wow those teams play fast.  Officials had a horrible night, too, but that didn't determine the outcome.  Size 10 1/2 would have won it!!! (or at least had us bemoaning Harbaugh going for two and not making it instead of tying for overtime LOL). 

Had he gotten the TD, Harbaugh would be smarter trying it for overtime, but so it goes. Definitely sloppy, as the first games of the season are. Was a really fun game to watch!
2024-09-06 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So I'm almost a week post-trip-and-fall and my ankle has stopped progressing - still very sore, hard to walk down stairs, and a little swelling.  This isn't like it was 25 years ago LOL.  I'm also feeling really unstable up to the knee as well - gosh hoping this isn't the dreaded high ankle sprain...that would be the end of my running season for sure. 

Going to give it a few more days to see if it improves and if not off to the ortho. 

2024-09-06 11:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

What do you mean sloppy? Three penalties on Stanley for having his butt too far back on the opening drive is sloppy to you?!?! :D :D :D

I have to add that I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the second quarter, so I don't know what I'm talking about...but that doesn't stop anyone else on the internet, so why should it stop me?

2024-09-06 12:48 PM

User image

What do you mean sloppy? Three penalties on Stanley for having his butt too far back on the opening drive is sloppy to you?!?! :D :D :D

I have to add that I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the second quarter, so I don't know what I'm talking about...but that doesn't stop anyone else on the internet, so why should it stop me?

Worthy and Rice are going to be amazing WRs this year!!! I'm so excited !!!
2024-09-07 10:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

So I'm almost a week post-trip-and-fall and my ankle has stopped progressing - still very sore, hard to walk down stairs, and a little swelling.  This isn't like it was 25 years ago LOL.  I'm also feeling really unstable up to the knee as well - gosh hoping this isn't the dreaded high ankle sprain...that would be the end of my running season for sure. 

Going to give it a few more days to see if it improves and if not off to the ortho. 

So you mean it takes longer to heal now we’re older? Who knew?

You’ll just have to be patient and take the time it needs.

Beautiful day here (up to 30 C all week, which is very unusual for this time of year), went for nice slow ride followed by a nice slow swim. The season is over so it’s nice and slow for at least a couple of weeks and no running at all, hoping to get rid of my achilles nagging pain once and for all.

Then we’ll start on the off season plan which will include some higher zone training.

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-09-07 10:52 AM
2024-09-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Off season is killing me. I made it almost two weeks!! Three times today alone people have asked me what’s next and not having an answer to that is driving me crazy! Partly it is because things are a bit up in the air with my Egypt trip (permit issues), but partly because I just don’t know what I want to focus on for the immediate term.

Gorgeous fall day here. I was up early to chat with a friend in Australia and then went to master practice. 2350yds of paying attention to my hand entry and I’m more mentally tired than physically tired. Schedule has a bike ride later, but I’m not enthusiastic about it. It may get moved to tomorrow, or I might get a burst of energy here when lunch kicks in. TBD…
2024-09-07 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So you mean it takes longer to heal now we’re older? Who knew? You’ll just have to be patient and take the time it needs. Beautiful day here (up to 30 C all week, which is very unusual for this time of year), went for nice slow ride followed by a nice slow swim. The season is over so it’s nice and slow for at least a couple of weeks and no running at all, hoping to get rid of my achilles nagging pain once and for all. Then we’ll start on the off season plan which will include some higher zone training.

Whatever...I'm still 25!!!!!  <<<  this coming from the idiot who hurt his back the first time (at 42 years old, so a spring chicken relative to now...) trying to physically overpower an inanimate object. 

I think I'm relegated to riding and swimming for a while - ankle and foot just really hurt.  Like touching it hurts a lot kind of thing.  Did get in a good 75' bike on the trainer and some core work....tomorrow going riding with the minion prepping her for USAT Nationals.  She's also kinda burned out right now, but we're going to make the race a blast for her.

2024-09-08 2:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN(

partly because I just don’t know what I want to focus on for the immediate term.

Maybe focus on not focusing on anything for a couple of weeks, just relax (not sure you are capable of that, maybe you should try)

Mike, I hurt my back at the age of 40+ running down a frozen slide on the kids playground.

Glad you can bike and swim though, that’s something.

2024-09-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: #5289799

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I feel seen. :D. Relaxing certainly isn’t my forte.
2024-09-08 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5289803

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I relaxed myself right into signing up for a century ride on Saturday! See what happens when I’m not distracted by monster training volume? :D

Honestly, it just looks like fun. It is a flat route, which plays to my kind of riding…just lower your head and pedal. No shifting. No thinking. Just fun speed!
2024-09-08 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Andrew--yeah, I've thought about adding more running to my maintenance plan. The problem is that I like swimming and biking so much more than running!!!! Also...totally gun shy about too much volume after my injury this spring. And no...I have no unfinished business with the marathon distance right now. Ask me again in a week or so... Was thinking about maybe tacking on a 15-20' run after each bike (if not already scheduled on a day when I have a run) to bring running frequency up to 5 times a week, since I'm already dressed and sweaty. We'll see.

All good points. And you're 100% right, more run volume = good. More run volume too fast = injury risk. Like everything triathlon, it's a tricky balance to find.

I think adding 2-3 short brick runs after your bike would be a great way to safely increase your volume. It's the same plan I did December/January when I did the same. Even starting with a 10 minute brick run, for a couple of weeks, just to form the habit.
2024-09-08 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

So you mean it takes longer to heal now we’re older? Who knew?

You’ll just have to be patient and take the time it needs.

I've seen a meme going around facebook the last few weeks, essentially says the secret to staying injury free running is to be 25.

Can't argue with that logic.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 140

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1053 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland