General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-17 5:12 AM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

My particular version of taper madness...

Yesterday morning, I dropped off my bike for transport.  Driving to work, I wondered if there wasn't a particular gear that I should have left my bike in.  Big Ring or Small Ring and where in the cassette.

Also, I pulled the suitcase out 3 days ago at 11:00 PM.  Every time that I walk by it, I toss something in there.  I need to tape my checklist right next to it.  My wife said, "What are you doing?" I snapped, "I need to start getting my stuff together."  If she wasn't already slated for sainthood before, she certainly is now.

So far, I have thrown in my tri-onesie, tri-shorts, tri-top, bottle cages, bike computer and several random rubber bands.  Now I am going to throw in my bike shoes and pedals.

2011-06-17 5:51 AM
in reply to: #3553595

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
sarahk - 2011-06-17 1:26 AM

Alright, y'all.  Now I'm getting the sore throat thing.  Tea, emergen-C, theraflu, lozengies...  Argh!

I know this has been covered, but who is racing on latex tubes?  I rode on them last week in training with no issue.  And then while airing up my tires right before entering transition at the local olympic tri on Sunday, POP!  The tube blew.  The 2 side-by-side holes were an obvious pinch flat.  So now I'm a bit freaked about using them for CdA.  I'm going to be VERY close to the bike cut off.  A blown tire could make or break the day.  On the flip side, a little free speed could help things out.  Thoughts?

Did you "pinch flat" as in hit a pothole or something hard enough to get a snakebite... or was the tube pinched between the tire bead and the rim.

If it was the former, then a butyl tube would have flatted too... and probably even easier than latex.  If the latter, that is very common with a tube that wasn't meticulously installed.  Two install problems are pinching the tube between tire and rim, and having rim tape inproperly installed (because latex is so flexible, when it is inflated it will find any little gap where a spoke hole isn't covered or where the valve stem has a little metal burr on it, etc).

IMHO there is no downside to using a latex tube, if properly installed.  If you are nervous about the install (latex is a little stickier so can be a minor pain to get seated properly) an LBS will do it for a couple bucks.  Make sure to ask them to carefully check your rim tape, particularly the valve stem hole, when they do it. 

If DIY my advice is a bit of talcum powder... inflate the tube a couple pumps while putting the tire beads on the rim... you may have to deflate for the last little bit of the beat on the second side.  Then run your thumbs around both sides making sure there (visually) there is no latex tube showing... then re-inflate a couple pumps and do the same thing... essentially you are pulling the tube up into the tire by thumbing the beads so you can see the rim tape.  After you inspect both sides, inflate fully and you should be good to go. 

With tires, in general the faster they are the more of a gamble you are taking (a reasonable gample imho, but that's another discussion).  With tubes, latex is not a gamble... just get it installed right and it is as, if not more, flat-resistant than a butyl tube... and faster (and more comfortable) 100% of the time.

PS - your spare tube should be butyl (for ease of install, and because latex tubes do not hold CO2 very well.

Edited by JoshKaptur 2011-06-17 5:52 AM
2011-06-17 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3553170

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
3Aims - 2011-06-16 5:54 PM

tamason - 2011-06-16 12:05 PM Current lake temp 54.5 degrees.  10-day forecast for Sat is 65 and rain.  Are we all going to have fun or what!!?

I could do without the rain.  Cold temps, bring them on.  It was 101 when I ran on Tuesday.  Almost 95 today.  My body will be loving the cooler temps. 

Amen.  Last night at 6PM the heat index was 102.  I only ran 6 miles but it felt like 20.

2011-06-17 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Any one have any experience with the MyAthlete GPS and an iPhone?  I tried using their tracking system last night to track some of the RAAM athletes and it appears to use Flash (which we all know does not work with the iPhone).

I wrote them and they said the iPhone app is coming out in July.  However I have sworn I've seen people say they used iPhones to track athletes before. (I did ask them to clarify if people can use an iPhone for CdA)

Besdies their website says "At the race they can use any web enabled cell phone or handheld device such as an iPhone, Blackberry, or Treo for example."

2011-06-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3553628

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Its gonna change a thousand times between now and probably next week sometime. Seems to be sort of nature's way of tormenting tapering weather obsessed athletes.

In the end, thunderstorms is about the only thing that will get me rattled. Lightning is not compatible with good running form and in any case, can really mess up a good swim.
2011-06-17 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3553592

User image

Veteran
Dallas
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 12:06 AM

Woohoo! Today I got the ok from my PT to cover the marathon portion of the race. Laughing

It's been a long road back from the ankle ligament rupture & tear, but I've been running for a while and now we're confident I can make it through without setting myself back. I'll probably only be able to run about a third of it because my running mileage the last couple months isn't enough to support running the whole distance.  I'll walk the rest and do my best to be a moving cheering section for all you folks running past me, if I'm actually in front of anybody at that point.  For me, it will truly be a case of just being happy to finish before the cutoff.  I'm psyched to not have to call it a day after the bike.

Now I have to figure out what to put in my T2 bag because I hadn't been planning on using that ...

Brad

That is fantastic news.......A friend of mine did Ironman Texas last month and she did the same thing.  She hammered the swim and bike knowing she would have to walk the run.  She said she saved her "slow jog" for passing the main crowd on each loop and for the last half mile.  She did a 13:30 or so.  You can still post a great time. 

2011-06-17 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Sorry if this has been asked already, but what all takes place at the award banquet? I'm driving and if it's not worth sticking around (assuming I'm not fast enough to even consider getting a rolldown spot), it'd be nice to get on the road a few hours earlier, maybe get home before sundown rather than just before sunrise the next morning. I'm not one for excessive back-patting so if it's just awards for the various podium spots I'd probably be best skipping it.

Edited by beanmj 2011-06-17 8:42 AM
2011-06-17 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3553767

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
WaterDog66 - 2011-06-17 8:47 AM

Its gonna change a thousand times between now and probably next week sometime. Seems to be sort of nature's way of tormenting tapering weather obsessed athletes.

In the end, thunderstorms is about the only thing that will get me rattled. Lightning is not compatible with good running form and in any case, can really mess up a good swim.

Ive raced in some pretty crappy conditions, and yes, it did make the day, dare I say, less fun. I can handle some rain (did Augusta 70.3 last year with a persistent rain) but high winds and possible thunder and I will start to get nervous.
2011-06-17 9:12 AM

User image

Seattle, WA

Brad-  That is awesome!!  You've been amazingly patient with the injury, and I'm really happy to hear you'll be crossing that finish line!

All- I see we have some talk of meeting up at dinner on Friday.  Just to clarify, are we talking about the athlete's dinner?

I'm trying not to think about it too much, but just out of curiosity, if there was a thunderstorm in the area on race day, would they cancel the swim?  That would be a major letdown

2011-06-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3553940

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
mango6383 - 2011-06-17 10:12 AM

I'm trying not to think about it too much, but just out of curiosity, if there was a thunderstorm in the area on race day, would they cancel the swim?  That would be a major letdown

Yes.  However about a month ago at FL 70.3 a wicked band of thunderstorms rolled thru that morning during transition setup.  Everyone thought they would cancel the swim.  But they delayed for 20 mins and the storm passed and all was good.  I heard the rule of thumb was no lightning for 30 mins and they would let the swim take place.

But there is no point even worrying about race day weather until race day.  If CdA weather is anything like FL it changes from day to day and the weather people are just taking an (educated) guess.

2011-06-17 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3553765

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
TriRSquared - 2011-06-17 8:45 AM

Any one have any experience with the MyAthlete GPS and an iPhone?  I tried using their tracking system last night to track some of the RAAM athletes and it appears to use Flash (which we all know does not work with the iPhone).

I wrote them and they said the iPhone app is coming out in July.  However I have sworn I've seen people say they used iPhones to track athletes before. (I did ask them to clarify if people can use an iPhone for CdA)

Besdies their website says "At the race they can use any web enabled cell phone or handheld device such as an iPhone, Blackberry, or Treo for example."

Just an FYI: They got back to me.  There is a non-flash webpage that iPhone can access.  Not as nice as the flash page but it'll work.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-06-17 9:56 AM

2011-06-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3553592

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
citaltfort - 2011-06-16 10:06 PM

Woohoo! Today I got the ok from my PT to cover the marathon portion of the race. Laughing

It's been a long road back from the ankle ligament rupture & tear, but I've been running for a while and now we're confident I can make it through without setting myself back. I'll probably only be able to run about a third of it because my running mileage the last couple months isn't enough to support running the whole distance.  I'll walk the rest and do my best to be a moving cheering section for all you folks running past me, if I'm actually in front of anybody at that point.  For me, it will truly be a case of just being happy to finish before the cutoff.  I'm psyched to not have to call it a day after the bike.

Now I have to figure out what to put in my T2 bag because I hadn't been planning on using that ...

Brad

Yes!  That's so fantastic!  Can't wait to see you there!

2011-06-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3553765

YES MyAthlete works on an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry etc.  We have been doing so since we started MyAthlete.  Every Shadow you rent (and soon to buy) has its own unique URL that is HTML based.  So any of your friends and family that go to track you at IM CDA on an iPhone, iPad, Droid, Blackberry will be able to do so just like they always have.  Those at home on PC's or MAC's will see you on our new event site which is Flash based.

The question in the e-mail last night specifically asked about RAAM and did not mention IM CDA so the answer was about RAAM. MyAthlete is a sponsor of RAAM and RAAM wanted our new Flash event site so they could imbed it into their site.  Also in the e-mail reply last night I asked which RAAM rider was trying to be viewed and we would provide the HTML link for that rider.  

Lastly yes we are developing apps for the iPhone, iPad and Droid to take full advantage of those platforms so you will be able to see the cool features we have our flash site and more.  Even then you will still be able to go to the HTML version if the viewer so chooses.

John

2011-06-17 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3554076

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
MyAthlete - 2011-06-17 11:10 AM

YES MyAthlete works on an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry etc.  We have been doing so since we started MyAthlete.  Every Shadow you rent (and soon to buy) has its own unique URL that is HTML based.  So any of your friends and family that go to track you at IM CDA on an iPhone, iPad, Droid, Blackberry will be able to do so just like they always have.  Those at home on PC's or MAC's will see you on our new event site which is Flash based.

The question in the e-mail last night specifically asked about RAAM and did not mention IM CDA so the answer was about RAAM. MyAthlete is a sponsor of RAAM and RAAM wanted our new Flash event site so they could imbed it into their site.  Also in the e-mail reply last night I asked which RAAM rider was trying to be viewed and we would provide the HTML link for that rider.  

Lastly yes we are developing apps for the iPhone, iPad and Droid to take full advantage of those platforms so you will be able to see the cool features we have our flash site and more.  Even then you will still be able to go to the HTML version if the viewer so chooses.

John

John, thanks for the clarification (scary how fast you found this thread ) I mentioned RAAM as this was the only event currently going on where I could test the functionality.  Whihc by the way works awesome on a PC/Mac.

The non-flash version works on the iPhone perfectly.  Thanks for the information.  Will be renting one for IMCdA.

2011-06-17 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'd love the link to the donation Twitter/FB update service

Also back in the day Multisports.com (PNF, Huddle, Frey, Fuhr etc) used to do camps and they had a ton of helpful tips for the last 2 weeks leading up to Race Day. I'm posting 1 per day on my logs if you're interested.
2011-06-17 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3553781

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
3Aims - 2011-06-17 5:55 AM
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 12:06 AM

Brad

That is fantastic news.......A friend of mine did Ironman Texas last month and she did the same thing.  She hammered the swim and bike knowing she would have to walk the run.  She said she saved her "slow jog" for passing the main crowd on each loop and for the last half mile.  She did a 13:30 or so.  You can still post a great time. 

Thanks for the example.  Nice to know it has worked out for others.  I must admit I have thought about giving it a little more oomph in the second bike loop than I normally would since I know I have to walk most of the mary anyway.  There is a certain amount freedom in that.

2011-06-17 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Now comes the hard part of tapering for an IM. I am dropping my bike off at the LBS today for the trip out to CdA. 

We have spent ~114 hours this year and have raced 2 IM events together and I am already getting a serious case of separation anxiety.  I put more miles on my bike than my car and spent more time sitting on it than my couch. I hope TBT takes good care of my little friend

2011-06-17 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3554222

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
citaltfort - 2011-06-17 8:58 AM 

That is awesome news. I have to say that I don't think you will be the least bit disappointed with the time you spend out on the marathon. You are going to meet some really awesome folks out there and will certainly make a few friends along the way. 

2011-06-17 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

So I'm at work grabbing some files and my laptop.  Because I'm getting sick and the right thing to do is stay at home, not infect others, and get some rest.  One of my direct reports walks into my office, coughing without covering her mouth, and asks me some questions.

Me: "Are you sick?"
Her: "Yeah, I had a 101 degree fever last night."
Me: "WTF are you doing here?  STAY HOME if you are sick."

Seriously, why is this so hard for people to understand?!?  We have had this discussion MANY times with the entire team.  I re-emphasized this a few weeks ago before heading into taper.  I find this incredibly disrespectful.  If I'm sick on race day, this will certainly not help when it's time for reviews...

2011-06-17 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Yesterday I jumped in a local lake for my first OWS this year.  One thing I had forgotten is how buoyant wetsuits are.  Relative to the pool swims, I felt like a cork sticking halfway out of the water!  That took more getting used to than the temperature.  It was definitely cold and although I'm sure the water temp was warmer than CdA, at least it was something.  Might go again in a couple of days to get a little more used to it.  

Brad

2011-06-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3554280

Master
, California
Brad - very awesome!  And yeah - save those legs and plan on light jogging with walk breaks the whole way.  Believe me, you won't be the only one.

2011-06-17 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3554243

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
sarahk - 2011-06-17 9:06 AM

So I'm at work grabbing some files and my laptop.  Because I'm getting sick and the right thing to do is stay at home, not infect others, and get some rest.  One of my direct reports walks into my office, coughing without covering her mouth, and asks me some questions.

Seriously, why is this so hard for people to understand?!?  We have had this discussion MANY times with the entire team.  I re-emphasized this a few weeks ago before heading into taper.  I find this incredibly disrespectful.  If I'm sick on race day, this will certainly not help when it's time for reviews...

I feel ya! My counterpart had a 101+ degree fever for like 4 days and then didn't go to the doctor after being gone from work for almost a week. Once he went it turned out he was contagious and had to stay home another 3 days. Sooooo that meant me being exposed to germs plus having to do all his work and mine and our boss's who is vacationing in the Caribbean for the last 2 weeks. Geesh!
2011-06-17 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3554301

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
leopard8996 - 2011-06-17 9:32 AM

I feel ya! My counterpart had a 101+ degree fever for like 4 days and then didn't go to the doctor after being gone from work for almost a week. Once he went it turned out he was contagious and had to stay home another 3 days. Sooooo that meant me being exposed to germs plus having to do all his work and mine and our boss's who is vacationing in the Caribbean for the last 2 weeks. Geesh!

What is wrong with people?  She is not working on something so terribly important that requires her to be here while sick.  I just called her into my office, reminded her that it's incredibly disrespectful to be at work and expose coworkers to illness, and that she needs to go home.  I of course got the look like I'm the queen of the evil empire.

On the upside, after a few hot cups of tea, I'm feeling fine.  I think it's just the Taper Gods tapping me on the shoulder saying "hey you stupid triathlete, take it easy this week, okay?"

2011-06-17 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3554076

MyAthlete sounds cool. I am using it for the first time here.
2011-06-17 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3554323

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
sarahk - 2011-06-17 12:41 PM
leopard8996 - 2011-06-17 9:32 AM

What is wrong with people?  She is not working on something so terribly important that requires her to be here while sick.  I just called her into my office, reminded her that it's incredibly disrespectful to be at work and expose coworkers to illness, and that she needs to go home.  I of course got the look like I'm the queen of the evil empire.

On the upside, after a few hot cups of tea, I'm feeling fine.  I think it's just the Taper Gods tapping me on the shoulder saying "hey you stupid triathlete, take it easy this week, okay?"

I posted this earlier here but your story reminded me of it.  About 2 weeks ago I sent out this email...

Subkect: Sickness

"I know everyone right now is OK but there is something going around.  With less than 2 weeks till the big race I cannot affordto get sick.  So, if you are not feeling well... stay the f**k home!"

(I did not censor it in my email however)

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-06-17 1:04 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171