BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-06-24 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2086538

Corona, California
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people

I have been riding my new road bike  , but I am having some problems.  First of all, my feet go numb (they fall asleep) when I ride.  I don't know how long I ride before this happens.  It's usually my whole left foot and part of my right.  I notice that when I move my feet around in my shoes, it feels better.  I hope that it is not because of my shoes.  I love them and they don't hurt in any other way (I forgot socks one time and I didn't blister at all).  What could be causing this?  Secondly, I have a question about shifting.  I am not sure how to phrase this so hang in there with me.   Do I want to be in the highest gear in the back before I shift the front?  I think that I rely heavily on the back gears, do I want to do this?  Any advice on shifting would be greatly appreciated.  If I am on a flat route, what gears should I be in?  (I have Fuji Roubaix- I don't know what gearing I have).  Finally, about every other ride, my right knee hurts the next day.  While I am riding, it feels like it needs to pop, and then sure enough, it hurts the next day.  I do have bad knees, but I think its the way that I am riding since it doesn't happen all the time.  How should my legs be "moving" through the pedaling?

By the way, my husband bought us both bikes and we have been riding with a club 3 times a week.  He couldn't figure out why I wanted to get in shape, but for what ever reason, now he wants to, too.    Time together w/o the kids.  Things are much better now. 

2009-06-25 12:38 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Jessica, will let others comment on bike gearing.  Andrew/Lisa/Dan are far better qualified to help you with this.  I would suggest that you invest in a professional bike fit.  If you bought the bike at a lbs (local bike shop) they should include that in the purchase price. 

Glad to hear the hubby is on board!!!
2009-06-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2241585

Corona, California
Thanks, Kim.  When we bought the bought the lbs did do a fit.  They said to come back after I ride it for a couple of weeks if something is sore.  I will be going back there soon.  I had a few other questions so I thought I would get some of your opinions.  Thanks.
2009-06-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2241358

User image

Expert
Ontario
JessRod - 2009-06-24 10:05 PM

I have been riding my new road bike  , but I am having some problems.  First of all, my feet go numb (they fall asleep) when I ride.  I don't know how long I ride before this happens.  It's usually my whole left foot and part of my right.  I notice that when I move my feet around in my shoes, it feels better.  I hope that it is not because of my shoes.  I love them and they don't hurt in any other way (I forgot socks one time and I didn't blister at all).  What could be causing this? 

I don't know about the numb feet but try searching the forums, I know it's been discussed here before'

Secondly, I have a question about shifting.  I am not sure how to phrase this so hang in there with me.   Do I want to be in the highest gear in the back before I shift the front?  I think that I rely heavily on the back gears, do I want to do this?  Any advice on shifting would be greatly appreciated.  If I am on a flat route, what gears should I be in?  (I have Fuji Roubaix- I don't know what gearing I have)

Your goal is to keep a comfortable efficient cadence, 80 - 100rpm is usually the suggested range (an often debated subject among the forum 'experts').  I personally like a cadence around 90. If you have a bike computer it should tell you what your cadence is.  Otherwise you would count how many times you are turning the pedal in one minute (or count for 15 or 30 seconds and do the math).   You use your gears to maintain your goal cadence.  Most of your shifting will be the 'back gears'.  On a flat route you won't be shifting as much.  On hills you will probably need to shift to the smaller ring in the front and then shift the back into lower (the bigger cogs) on the back as you climb the hill - you won't be able to keep up that 90 RPM cadence on big hills but try to be in the lowest gear you can so you 'spin' up the hill.  When you get to the top of the hill shift into higher gears on the way downhill so you can catch your pedaling up to your speed at the bottom.   Most of your shifting will be of the back gears.  I like to be in the middle at the back when I shift the front.... if you are in the highest gear at the back and shift the front you will be in your highest gear and for me I could only do that on a steep downhill where I was going fast, I don't often use my highest gear  but I do use my big ring at the front/middle at the back on flat stretches to ride fast.  Hope this makes some sense and I'm sure someone else can explain things more clearly

Finally, about every other ride, my right knee hurts the next day.  While I am riding, it feels like it needs to pop, and then sure enough, it hurts the next day.  I do have bad knees, but I think its the way that I am riding since it doesn't happen all the time.  How should my legs be "moving" through the pedaling?

The sore knees and numb feet may be related to your shoes, the position of your cleats, the float of your pedals or your bike fit.  I would talk to the LBS about it.

By the way, my husband bought us both bikes and we have been riding with a club 3 times a week.  He couldn't figure out why I wanted to get in shape, but for what ever reason, now he wants to, too.    Time together w/o the kids.  Things are much better now. 

That's good news, together time is good.
2009-06-26 12:29 AM
in reply to: #2243149

Corona, California
Thank you for all that information.  I followed those explanations perfectly.  My husband is ordering us some "gadgets" as we speak (Garmin 305- Forerunner for me and Edge for him).  We have been talking non-stop about how to ride/shift correctly/better and we were talking about cadence so thank you for the range of RPMs.  We did a TT today and that was a blast.  I don't have my official time, but I think my time was about 10:25 for 3 miles.  Not bad...I hung in there with most of the group.    We went for about a 10 mile ride after that and this group loves to climb hills (I dread doing it but I know how much better of a rider it will make me.)  They are all super nice waiting for us.  One guy got a pic. of us going up a hill with my husband and I way back zig-zagging up.  Its funny.  I have to get it and post it for you. 
2009-06-26 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

I have been riding my new road bike  , but I am having some problems.  First of all, my feet go numb (they fall asleep) when I ride.  I don't know how long I ride before this happens.  It's usually my whole left foot and part of my right.  I notice that when I move my feet around in my shoes, it feels better.  I hope that it is not because of my shoes.  I love them and they don't hurt in any other way (I forgot socks one time and I didn't blister at all).  What could be causing this?  Secondly, I have a question about shifting.  I am not sure how to phrase this so hang in there with me.   Do I want to be in the highest gear in the back before I shift the front?  I think that I rely heavily on the back gears, do I want to do this?  Any advice on shifting would be greatly appreciated.  If I am on a flat route, what gears should I be in?  (I have Fuji Roubaix- I don't know what gearing I have).  Finally, about every other ride, my right knee hurts the next day.  While I am riding, it feels like it needs to pop, and then sure enough, it hurts the next day.  I do have bad knees, but I think its the way that I am riding since it doesn't happen all the time.  How should my legs be "moving" through the pedaling?

For gearing I use the hardest gear I can while being able to maintain cadence or speed when riding flat or small rollers.  I like to spin at 90-100 but my coach had me doing specific cadence workouts to build leg strength (harder gear lower cadence). 

For climbing I guess I do the same thing, try to stay in the hardest gear I can while still being able to climb strong. 

If you are in too easy a gear you end up spinning out and have no power which translates to less speed.  You'll get this down with personal preference and experience.  What works for one doesn't necessaly work for the next.

As to the numb feet.  I had this problem when I first started riding long distances.  Would happen anytime I hit 30 miles.  Problem turned out to be shoes that were too small and too narrow as well as cleat position and float.  I use the Look KEO pedals and they have different cleats with different float.  The ones I use are the red ones and they have the most movement/float.  ON the shoes btw, you may try tri specific shoes as opposed to road shoes as they have less strapping on top and for me this equals looser shoe and way more comfort.

For the knee - bike fit - go back sooner rather than later before it becomes chronic. 

2009-06-28 3:16 PM

User image

New user

Vancouver
Question: Whenever I run for more than half an hour continuously in warm weather, I get red in the face. I've noticed this when I run races because I push myself not to stop instead of taking a break. I feel completely fine - my lungs feel ok and I'm not dying. Maybe fatigued, but that's it. I can feel the flush in my face, and when I look in the mirror after, it looks like I should feel more winded than I look. I don't train with a HRM, because I'm not really a gadget fan. Is this something I should worry about?
2009-06-29 6:33 AM
in reply to: #2248525

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
roadcarver - 2009-06-28 4:16 PM Question: Whenever I run for more than half an hour continuously in warm weather, I get red in the face. I've noticed this when I run races because I push myself not to stop instead of taking a break. I feel completely fine - my lungs feel ok and I'm not dying. Maybe fatigued, but that's it. I can feel the flush in my face, and when I look in the mirror after, it looks like I should feel more winded than I look. I don't train with a HRM, because I'm not really a gadget fan. Is this something I should worry about?

You are fine.  As you run, your body's temperature rises and the blood flows to places to cool it off.  You are experiencing blood flow to your face...which is normal, even if you are the only red face out there.  I wouldn't be concerned unless you start feeling dizzy or nauseous.  It might help to occassionally splash some water onto your face or carry a rag to cool down the skin.  Just be sure to hydrate properly when you are done.   
2009-06-29 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Everyone else did a great job with this.  I will add just a few more things

1.  Numb feet--often a result of shoes being the wrong size, strapped too tight or cleat position being off.  Loosen the shoe to start and make sure that when you are riding that the bottom of your foot is flat, not tilted to the side that goes numb

2.  I NEVER wear socks on the bike.  Well...except in the winter when I need the extra layers.  I did IM FL sockless and didn't think twice about it.  Your feet will be fine. 

3.  Shifting--the key to shifting is that you want a smooth transition between all the gears.  As mentioned, it is ideal to keep your cadence between 80-100.  I tend to race solidly at 92.  There are things you can do to change your cadence but in most instances, your cadence is like your run form...you just go with what you have in life. 

You definitely will use your back gears (cassette) 100x more than your front gears (crank).  Keep the focus on making a smooth transition.  A rule of thumb is that when you shift in the front it equates to about two gears in the rear.  Hang with me here and think about what I am saying:

If you are riding in your big ring up front (53 or 50) and you are three gears from the top in your rear gears ( 21 ish), that is the equivalent of dropping to your smaller front gear (39 or 34) and then clicking down two more gears in the rear ( 17 ish).  This is kinda what Dan and I were explaining to Lisa early on in the thread with gear ratios.   If you are riding 90 rpm (cadence) in your 53-21 you will be going X mph.  You can obtain the same speed in your 39-17 at 90 rpm.  Ok...that is enough of the technical side. 

Point being...you want to make a smooth transition between the big gears.  If you are in your big ring up front...you don't want to wait until you hit your highest gear in the rear before shifting (mainly because you are stretching your chain too much).  If you anticipate needing the smaller front ring, get into it with a few gears to go.  Over time, you will learn to time it right so that your cadence won't drop.  I am a fan of sitting and spinning up hills in training.  No need to power up them unless it is workout specific.  Your hamstrings and hip flexors will get a good workout in the saddle being efficient...even if it is slow. 
2009-06-29 5:38 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Just stopping in to say hi.  Got my cast for the next 7 days put on today.  Next week they cut this one off and go with one below the elbow.  Also sounds like race season is over.  If you have any urge to see pics or xrays they're in my album.
2009-06-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2251539

User image

Expert
Ontario
Sprint_DA - 2009-06-29 6:38 PM Just stopping in to say hi.  Got my cast for the next 7 days put on today.  Next week they cut this one off and go with one below the elbow.  Also sounds like race season is over.  If you have any urge to see pics or xrays they're in my album.

WOW.. that's all I can say about those xrays !!!

2009-06-30 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2252589

User image

Davenport, IA
cathyd - 2009-06-30 8:22 AM
Sprint_DA - 2009-06-29 6:38 PM Just stopping in to say hi.  Got my cast for the next 7 days put on today.  Next week they cut this one off and go with one below the elbow.  Also sounds like race season is over.  If you have any urge to see pics or xrays they're in my album.

WOW.. that's all I can say about those xrays !!!

I'm hoping to get the xrays that were taken today at my visit next week.  They show all the screws (17) and plates (minimum of two on each bone.)
2009-06-30 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
OMFG.  That is more than just a break.  I have gone down on the bike twice and I don't have a clue how I didn't shatter something.  Hope you have a speedy recovery. 

(and you will have cool scars and pics for the future)
2009-06-30 8:56 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
And as an entertaining comparison, the damage to my bike:

(shifter.jpg)

(pedal.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
shifter.jpg (80KB - 14 downloads)
pedal.jpg (85KB - 11 downloads)
2009-06-30 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Holy crap those are some ugly x-rays.  It hurts just looking at them.  Yikes. That was one bad crash.   Hope your feeling better.
2009-06-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2252692

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-06-30 9:56 AM And as an entertaining comparison, the damage to my bike:

That's it????  Jeez - after looking at those pics I hope they have you on some amazing pain pills!

2009-06-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2253010

User image

Davenport, IA
Lisa B - 2009-06-30 10:31 AM
Sprint_DA - 2009-06-30 9:56 AM And as an entertaining comparison, the damage to my bike:

That's it????  Jeez - after looking at those pics I hope they have you on some amazing pain pills!

That's it.  And to be perfectly honest, tylenol is doing a good job of managing the pain.  I have vicodin, but I want to stop using it ASAP.
2009-07-06 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You all sure are quiet.  Just checking in with anyone.  I am here to help but I need to know what you need from me....
2009-07-06 8:19 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
Got a spare arm?
2009-07-07 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Andrew - is there a USAT rule about where you set up your transition - front or back of your bike?  And if not, can you talk about the pros and cons of each side?

Also, talk about nutrition for an Olympic (doing Chattanooga afterall this weekend).  I have only done a few and I think what I have done is gel before swim.  Infinit on the bike, gel last few miles of bike to get ready for the run.  And a gel during the run around mile 4 if needed.  This is what I do for a sprint as well except the gel on the run.

Thx
2009-07-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2267243

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa B - 2009-07-07 11:10 AM Andrew - is there a USAT rule about where you set up your transition - front or back of your bike?  And if not, can you talk about the pros and cons of each side?

Also, talk about nutrition for an Olympic (doing Chattanooga afterall this weekend).  I have only done a few and I think what I have done is gel before swim.  Infinit on the bike, gel last few miles of bike to get ready for the run.  And a gel during the run around mile 4 if needed.  This is what I do for a sprint as well except the gel on the run.

Thx

1.  I don't know the exact rule but the 'rule of thumb' is this:  must rack within designated space.  This is usually blocks of 5-10.  At bigger races, you may have a specific spot.  You can rack a bunch of different ways.  Most commonly, you can use your saddle with your front wheel down.  Other ways include using your handle bars with your rear wheel touching  Bikes should alternate directions (wheels down)  Your transition should be set up on the side of your bike where the wheel is touching.  So if you and I are racked next to one other we wouldn't be fighting for space.  We would be on opposite sides. 

I know this sounds really anal but rules are rules.  Sometimes they are enforced, sometimes they are not.  At Indian Springs, I saw the race official walking through transition before and after noting problems.  And it can be a time penalty.  IIRC, 2-3 years ago, Gulf Coast had some controversy where the winner was assessed a racking penalty and ultimately lost the race (there is more to the story but that is the gist of it).  The key is that if you have a question, find the ref and ask. 

Personally, I rack by the saddle.  One of the things to look out for is the height of the rack IF I am carrying bottles in my xlab.  I have seen it happen too often...racks aren't high enough and bottles get knocked out.  I would say that only about 25% of the time do I find racks not high enough. 

2.  Nutrition--I think your nutrition plan is what I do too.   Definitely 100 cals before race.  Infinit + gel will give you around 350 cals for a bike that will probably take your 80-90 minutes.  If needed (and you probably will need it), I would try to take the gel before mile 3.  I think it takes a gel about 15-20 to hit the system and begin working.  You will be done if you wait until mile 4.  Another thought would be to take the gel first on the bike and then switch to Infinit..but I don't know what your stomach can handle. 

Given the notorious conditions of Chattanooga, I might suggest carrying an extra water bottle on the bike.  It looks to be hot.  Given that the race will take you 2:45 ish, I think shooting for 600-800 calories should work.  You probably could do it on less...but you know your body's needs better than anyone

2009-07-07 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
So if you rack your bike by the seat (which I do too) and front wheel is down, you set your transition up by your front wheel and then you take your bike off the rack from the front, correct?  I know this is nit picky but I'm trying to get this down - if I run my bike standing on the left side of it which side of my wheel do I want to set my stuff up on - other side so it's not in the way?  At Iron Girl I had the very end by the fence so I was able to set up stuff up by the fence (which was to the right of my front wheel) but pull my bike from the left.  I know this was a luxury that I won't usually have.

Other than these questions you answered me right on - thanks!
2009-07-07 4:14 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Ok, am ready to play again.  I have my first OLY in a couple weeks.  It will most likely not be wetsuit legal (I didn't know this when I signed up.)  Fortunately it is in a lake, but I'm still a bit rattled from my recent rip-current dnf experience.  Interestingly, what I've started really fretting over (and it's ok to tease me about this being a "girly" thing) is what to wear.  I've always raced in a wet suit over my two piece tri-suit.  I've lost a bit of weight since last year and the two piece is getting a bit baggy and will definitely drag in the water.  So, I'll need something new....should I order a two piece or one piece?  Andrew, you really are a good sport for taking these things with a sense of humor.  Did you ever think that you'd be asked for fashion advice? Lisa/Cathy, any personal experience?
2009-07-08 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2267634

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Lisa B - 2009-07-07 1:02 PM So if you rack your bike by the seat (which I do too) and front wheel is down, you set your transition up by your front wheel and then you take your bike off the rack from the front, correct?  I know this is nit picky but I'm trying to get this down - if I run my bike standing on the left side of it which side of my wheel do I want to set my stuff up on - other side so it's not in the way?  At Iron Girl I had the very end by the fence so I was able to set up stuff up by the fence (which was to the right of my front wheel) but pull my bike from the left.  I know this was a luxury that I won't usually have.

Other than these questions you answered me right on - thanks!

I have never really thought about it but I probably set up to the right of my wheel.  Of course, this all depends on everyone else following the rules too.  After I hop in my shoes and put on my helmet, I likely grab my bike by the top tube, push it back (to get the saddle off the rack) and bring it forward to me.  I run with my bike in my right hand either way.  It is my dominant and most stable hand. 

If you run with your bike on your left it may help to set up to the left of the bike but you might be overthinking things   A quick doe-see-doe around the rear wheel takes a fraction of a second and you are on the left. 

Next time we are at Columns, I can show you what I mean (if this doesn't make sense)
2009-07-08 6:32 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
You're all lucky with options on how to rack your bikes.  I can only rack from the front and I hate that, always worried that someone will run into my bike and break a brake lever or something.

Also, good news for me...was cleared to exercise and went out for a short run last night.  Unfortunately the length of the run was determined by the swelling in my arm, but hey, it was a run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  

of 15