BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-01-09 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

175.6 today. Almost back to where I was before I went on vacation, 174-175. Little more to go, but should be back by next week after a couple tough workouts this weekend.

Kyla, sorry to hear about the injury. I had bursitis in my knee before and was back playing football in less than a month with PT, so I didn't think it was that bad. Stay positive!!

2009-01-10 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1899035

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

hughes411 - 2009-01-09 10:32 PM I have a question about loading a profile picture. Every time I try to load one it tells me it is to large. I have cropped and reformatted several times. Any tips?

I have an account on photobucket for free.  I upload the pic to their site and then I hit what size I want it (I think small...).  Then I save it to my desktop and can put it on BT from there.  That is the only way I could figure out to make pics small enough.  It is a pain but if you just do it once, it isn't too bad.

I weighed 157.2 lbs this morning.  That is not too bad.  I was 159 on Monday.  I realize the water weight loss thing...as long as I am not gaining!

Last night I was sick of being hungry and made some healthy oatmeal raisin bars.  I ate way too much but at least it was better than junk.  I think I am going back to calorie counting where I can eat more than I was trying to.  I used to do the bodybuilding / figure competition thing and whenever I lower my calories and get REAL hungry I have flashbacks about how I used to torture myself.  So I think I would rather lose weight slow and not be so hungry.

2009-01-10 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

Crappy day today.  Met up with my local running club for a 5 mile run, and about 1.25 into it my left calf locked up on me, tried to stretch it out, but could barely walk, much less run.  Had a long limp back to my car.  It's still sore, but I'm hoping it was a bad cramp.  I did a spinervals technique workout on my trainer last night, and it included some 1-legged drills.  I'm hoping the cramping today was a result of last night's training and the running, and I didn't actually pull anything.  Has me bummed out, I was planning to start an 8-week 1/2 marathon plan this week to get ready for Little Rock, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

On a good note I think I'm really making good progress with my swimming, still no Michael Phelps, but it's feeling better. 

2009-01-10 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1899518

User image

Expert
matt_d - 2009-01-10 12:15 PM

Crappy day today.  Met up with my local running club for a 5 mile run, and about 1.25 into it my left calf locked up on me, tried to stretch it out, but could barely walk, much less run.  Had a long limp back to my car.  It's still sore, but I'm hoping it was a bad cramp.  I did a spinervals technique workout on my trainer last night, and it included some 1-legged drills.  I'm hoping the cramping today was a result of last night's training and the running, and I didn't actually pull anything.  Has me bummed out, I was planning to start an 8-week 1/2 marathon plan this week to get ready for Little Rock, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

On a good note I think I'm really making good progress with my swimming, still no Michael Phelps, but it's feeling better. 

I hope your calf feels better soon. I checked out your logs- it looks like you are really dedicated to working on your swim! I'm glad it's paying off for you.

2009-01-10 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL

3 BIG reasons I'm dedicated to my swim:

1.  I'm new to swimming, and I was HORRIBLE, now I'm just sub-par, so making improvement

2.  It's freakin' cold outside, and mid-to high 80's in the pool 

3.  It's new, so progress is fast, and the newness makes it more fun.  Running can be a drag this time of year, and the bike trainer is, well, the bike trainerCool

I knew right after starting swim training that I was doing ALOT wrong, so I bought the total immersion book and the Tri Swim Coach DVD.  They're basically teaching the exact same things, with slightly different names for drills, and subtle varations.  But the techniques are working for me, just need to also build some swim endurance at some point.  Probably next month I'll start working on that.

2009-01-10 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1899518

User image

Master
matt_d - 2009-01-10 11:15 AM

So sorry to hear that!! Take some advil and ice it if you haven't already.

And congratulations on your swimming success and improvement. That is great!!

Hope the leg feels better soon!

2009-01-10 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Matt - I hope your calf improves and that it was just a one time thing.  And congrats on the swimming!  It is an accomplishment to improve at that!

Good news: I tried on my tri outfit I bought this fall.  It fit and my DD said I looked fine in it (she would of told me if I shouldn't be seen in public with it on...).  I almost had her take a picture but I thought that was a bit much! hehe  I measure myself to be at 22% body fat.  I was at 14% this summer.  I am happy around 18%.  That is not too far away...

I am going to have to do my long run on a treadmill tomorrow.  That makes me sad because I love to run outside.  Between the weather (snow) and my children, I will have to make a sacrifice and stay on the treadmill for eternity tomorrow!

2009-01-11 9:56 AM
in reply to: #1899035

User image

Montana

hughes411 - 2009-01-09 8:32 PM I have a question about loading a profile picture. Every time I try to load one it tells me it is to large. I have cropped and reformatted several times. Any tips?

Jon - You can download an image resizer from Microsoft which allows you to simply right click on any image on your computer and make it smaller. The link is here: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

Look for the "Image Resizer" download in the right hand column.

2009-01-11 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Alright guys... second week into the new year!  Everyone back into the swing?   Everyone have their plans laid out for workouts this week?

2009-01-11 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
SLow Turtle, hows the running going?  I know you asked us to keep you in check and accountable!
2009-01-11 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1901308

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-01-11 7:42 PM

Alright guys... second week into the new year!  Everyone back into the swing?   Everyone have their plans laid out for workouts this week?

Busy life week. So I will do my Jorge workouts MWF, all at 6am. M/F that's all I can do. W is a stair run with a friend. Tu/Th will likely be body shop, and I may do a dreadmill run for the 30 min. of strength work since my shoulder is out of whack. PT appt. Tues for shoulder.

And Kellie, I gotta say, your logs are truly inspiring!! Great work!

2009-01-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1901376

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
kkcbelle - 2009-01-11 8:10 PM
kellc09 - 2009-01-11 7:42 PM

Busy life week. So I will do my Jorge workouts MWF, all at 6am. M/F that's all I can do. W is a stair run with a friend. Tu/Th will likely be body shop, and I may do a dreadmill run for the 30 min. of strength work since my shoulder is out of whack. PT appt. Tues for shoulder. And Kellie, I gotta say, your logs are truly inspiring!! Great work!

Thanks.    And, keep us posted on that shoulder.   Will PT be a regular thing thrown into your training now?    I went through months of therapy with my shoulder, oyyyy    I feel for you.   Hopefully it helps though.  Does the jossling of running hurt it?    My shoulder still sucks, and when I havent ran in a while, it actually bothers me until I get the shoulder used to the bouncing around again!

2009-01-11 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1901384

User image

Master
I have a feeling the PT will be short-term... we'll see. I ran today and it was OK, and I could bike yesterday although the hoods were uncomfortable (no big deal on the trainer). After reading online I have learned that rotator cuff tendonitis is common in the over-40 crowd. Lovely. Anyway, it's also common to have sleep irritate it and I'm a major side-sleeper and had commented earlier to my hubby that sleep was irritating me. I'm convinced the push-ups put me into my immobile state, but I'm fine for the most part at the moment. A little nervous to swim before I talk to the PT person a bit more. Hope to get it under control very quick-like! Thanks for the sympathy!!
2009-01-11 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

THE PLAN:

Monday: AM yoga, PM swimming

Tuesday: AM running intervals 60min/weights, PM biking 45min (and meeting Kellie at the pool!! )

Wednesday: AM swimming 60min

Thursday: AM running 60min tempo run/weights, PM biking 45min

Friday: AM swimming 60min

Saturday: AM running 60 min/weights; noon swimming; PM biking 1 hour

Sunday: AM running 8 miles

That seems like a lot but that is what I aspire to do.

2009-01-11 8:31 PM

User image

Expert

No workout today-Snow on the ground and roads. Lots of family commitments and getting ready for a busy week. 30 minutes of shoveling, and that's it.

Workouts for the week: M-W-F: Week 4 of Jorge.

Tues: Swim and run

Thurs: Run (I'll be out of town for work, so doubt I'll have access to a pool), Pilates.

Sat: Swim and Run.

I'm counting today as my rest day for the week, so if all goes as planned, I'll get 3 runs: 3 bikes and 2 swims in this week.

2009-01-11 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Plan for the week!

Monday- Supposed to be an off day. May do a lift after work depending on how I feel.

Tuesday- 1hr swim & 45min run (in the AM thanks to Kyla!)

Wednesday-  Brick: 30min bike to 15min run (lift if I don't do it Monday)

Thursday-  1hr swim & 45min ride (100+ rpm)

Friday- 1hr run & lift of some sort

Saturday- 1hr45min bike

Sunday- 1 hr run

8hr week of just tri work plus 2 hrs of lifting makes for a busy week...I like it!!

Keep up the good work everyone!!!!

On a side note, as I'm browsing, Planet Earth is on Discovery Channel. If anyone has not seen it I strongly suggest watching it. This is the second time around I've watched it. It is hands down one of the greatest mini-series ever, well from what I can remember in my 24 year life. Laughing

Edited by zee744 2009-01-11 9:10 PM

2009-01-11 9:56 PM

User image

Montana

Looks like everyone has good training goals for the week! Mine are:

Monday: run 3 miles, 30"swim

Tuesday: 45" trainer

Wednesday: run 4 miles, 30" swim, xc ski

Thursday:  45" trainer, 40" swim

Friday: run 6 miles

Saturday: off

Sunday: 55" trainer

General goals: healthy eating, try to get in at least one morning session and a little yoga

Edited by hollybushellehill 2009-01-11 9:57 PM
2009-01-12 2:10 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Monday- Run 5 miles / Swim 45 min

Tues - Run ( not sure on distance) / Ride 1 hr

Wed - Ride (outdoors)

Thurs- Run ( Long Run)

Friday - Swim / Ride

Sat- Duck Hunting (does all that walking count)

Sun- Run or Ride (depending on weather)
2009-01-12 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Monday: Cycling Power workout

Tuesday:3 mile run

Wednesday:5 mile run or bike if motel has decent cycle

Thursday:3 mile run

Friday:Cycling Power workout

Saturday:5 mile run and I need to get back in the pool!

Sunday:6 mile run

Will substitute and/or add weight training if schedule gets too messed up at my sales meeting this week in Chicago.

2009-01-12 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Everyone has some good training goals for the week!   I dont mind alot of winter training.  I have lived in MI all my life, and I have grown to not really like the snow and cold much anymore.  I used to ski and snowboard a lot, but thats quite a expensive sport to!  Plus, the hills around here get old.  So I dont do that much anymore.  Since I go into a funk in the winter, keeping up alot of training seems to help the winter months pass by!
2009-01-12 8:55 AM

User image

Expert

Question about missed/shortened workouts.

This morning I was planning to do Jorge's cycling program. It was a scheduled 50 minute workout. I had to stop at 30 minutes because my little guy woke up and was crying.

So, when that happens, what is the best thing to do? I can redo the whole workout tonite, or go to the Y for a run or swim after work. What is the best option? Tomorrows workout is scheduled to be a swim/run. I haven't run since Saturday, if that factors in.

In the past, I would have just called it a wrap, and let it go. But, now I'm at the point where 30 minutes on the bike,just doesn't feel like much.

2009-01-12 10:42 AM

User image

Elgin, Ok
As long as it does not happen every day, I would say it is no big deal. Think of it as a easy/rest day. The only problem would be if you are looking for a reason to stop your workouts short. (ex. stopping because you need to return a dvd to the movie store) It sounds like it was a totally unforseen and inexpected interruption. Sometimes breaks are just as beneficial (sp?) as workouts.
2009-01-12 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1901409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

kkcbelle - 2009-01-11 9:26 PM I have a feeling the PT will be short-term... we'll see. I ran today and it was OK, and I could bike yesterday although the hoods were uncomfortable (no big deal on the trainer). After reading online I have learned that rotator cuff tendonitis is common in the over-40 crowd. Lovely. Anyway, it's also common to have sleep irritate it and I'm a major side-sleeper and had commented earlier to my hubby that sleep was irritating me. I'm convinced the push-ups put me into my immobile state, but I'm fine for the most part at the moment. A little nervous to swim before I talk to the PT person a bit more. Hope to get it under control very quick-like! Thanks for the sympathy!!

My shoulder started bothering me when I was doing the 100 pushup challenge. It is sad that we have the desire to do physical things but that the body does not always cooperate!! My BF keeps telling me that I am asking for it with all this training and that one day I won't be able to do this.  The thought of that makes me sad. 

2009-01-12 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1902286

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-12 11:10 AM

kkcbelle - 2009-01-11 9:26 PM I have a feeling the PT will be short-term... we'll see. I ran today and it was OK, and I could bike yesterday although the hoods were uncomfortable (no big deal on the trainer). After reading online I have learned that rotator cuff tendonitis is common in the over-40 crowd. Lovely. Anyway, it's also common to have sleep irritate it and I'm a major side-sleeper and had commented earlier to my hubby that sleep was irritating me. I'm convinced the push-ups put me into my immobile state, but I'm fine for the most part at the moment. A little nervous to swim before I talk to the PT person a bit more. Hope to get it under control very quick-like! Thanks for the sympathy!!

My shoulder started bothering me when I was doing the 100 pushup challenge. It is sad that we have the desire to do physical things but that the body does not always cooperate!! My BF keeps telling me that I am asking for it with all this training and that one day I won't be able to do this.  The thought of that makes me sad. 

Well thats why it is beneficial to stick to your plans, to stick to easy days when your plan calls for easy, and listen to your body when its telling you it doesnt like what your doing, etc.   When your emotions are involved, it is easy to lose sight of the big picture.   If something is hurting, we think "oh, I cant miss two workout days this week!"  so we push through.  Instead of saying to ourselves "it would be good to rest this knee for 2 days instead of missing 2 months if I injure it"  

Where it can get twisted is distinguishing between soreness and pain.  If your working out insensely enough, soreness will happen..    pain still should not.  

The fact is, you do any sport long enough, your going to go through peaks and valleys.  One year you may be injury free, then next it may seem you cant do anything without a injury popping up.  Talk to anyone who has done a sport for a long time, professionals included, and they will have war stories, injury stories, etc.  It happens.     It happens to sedentary people to though.    Ask insurance companies and they'll tell you who costs them more... sedentary people, not active individuals (as a whole obviously, there will always be exceptions)

Now if your doing more than your body is prepared to handle, then yeah, your asking for it unless you are so genetically gifted that you can hold up to anything, which is less than 5% of the population!  

2009-01-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1901972

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2009-01-12 8:55 AM

Question about missed/shortened workouts.

This morning I was planning to do Jorge's cycling program. It was a scheduled 50 minute workout. I had to stop at 30 minutes because my little guy woke up and was crying.

So, when that happens, what is the best thing to do? I can redo the whole workout tonite, or go to the Y for a run or swim after work. What is the best option? Tomorrows workout is scheduled to be a swim/run. I haven't run since Saturday, if that factors in.

In the past, I would have just called it a wrap, and let it go. But, now I'm at the point where 30 minutes on the bike,just doesn't feel like much.

If you can hop back on the bike today and steady ride out the last 20 minutes that would be ok.  Or else a swim or run would be fine to finish up your day to.   But, dont sweat it.  it will happen every now and then.  If you dont have time to make it up tonight, dont worry.   As long as that doesnt happen very often it wont make a difference in the big picture and the extra rest wont take away from your fitness

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30