Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-02-05 7:55 PM
in reply to: #1944834

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed

I had to giggle to myself because I believe all three 10k races I ran in were in 15 degree weather (lower if you factor in windchill).  I hear we're getting into the 40s on Saturday and I CAN'T WAIT!!! I might run in a bathing suit!

TriRSquared - 2009-02-04 9:40 AM

Actually I have a trainer but I think I'd rather watch paint dry.  Ugh... soooo boring..

So last night went for a run (have not logged it yet) and it was COLD!  OK so it was only 46 but to us in Florida that's COLD.  My lungs were burning the whole time.

I'm not sure who you Yankees can run in 30deg or below weather... Yikes!

2009-02-05 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Alright, another night at the pool and more swimming questions. 

I feel like I have remedied drinking half the pool when taking a breath.  But I have a couple more questions.  I feel like my legs are too far below the water, hence I am swimming more uphill than downhill.  I think part of my problem with that is my kick tends to be more from the knee.  Anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to help remedy this?  Do you think getting some swim fins might help?

My second question.  I had never really given it any thought until tonight.  I have been swimming in a regular baggy type bathing suit.  I noticed tonight that my pockets turn inside out when I swim.  Is it possible that this is causing me a lot of drag and slowing me down?  Not that it matters that much right now but just curious what people's thoughts are.   

Thanks

2009-02-05 9:10 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
For me the key to getting my legs up was to look down.  Don't look forward at 45 degrees but straight down.  It's hard to do but once you do it your legs will magically come to the surface.
2009-02-05 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Garmin 305 question...

Can you set it to do laps at a specified time interval (I know you can do distance)?  If you look a my log today for my spin class it's all one lap.  I'd like to see more data points.

2009-02-05 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
That's one of the drills we worked on today in the pool.  He had me put a small ball under my chin and swim, putting my head down far enough to hold the ball there even when I breathed (actually it resembled drinking more than breathing, but you get the idea).  I do know it lifted my butt and legs much higher.
2009-02-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1948261

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
TriRSquared - 2009-02-05 9:12 PM

Garmin 305 question...

Can you set it to do laps at a specified time interval (I know you can do distance)?  If you look a my log today for my spin class it's all one lap.  I'd like to see more data points.

Not sure how to set laps by time.  You can push the lap key any time you want but that's probably not going to be a very constant distribution. 

I don't know what you mean by more data points.  Doesn't your 305 record every second?

By the way, your heart rate is fantastic.  My max rate ever on the bike is 169.  At 163 to 165 I start to go anaerobic.

2009-02-05 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1948170

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-05 8:55 PM

I had to giggle to myself because I believe all three 10k races I ran in were in 15 degree weather (lower if you factor in windchill).  I hear we're getting into the 40s on Saturday and I CAN'T WAIT!!! I might run in a bathing suit!

TriRSquared - 2009-02-04 9:40 AM

Actually I have a trainer but I think I'd rather watch paint dry.  Ugh... soooo boring..

So last night went for a run (have not logged it yet) and it was COLD!  OK so it was only 46 but to us in Florida that's COLD.  My lungs were burning the whole time.

I'm not sure who you Yankees can run in 30deg or below weather... Yikes!

Too bad the lakes are froze over or you could probably get in an OWS!

2009-02-05 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1948232

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CraigT - 2009-02-05 9:42 PM

I feel like I have remedied drinking half the pool when taking a breath.  But I have a couple more questions.  I feel like my legs are too far below the water, hence I am swimming more uphill than downhill.  I think part of my problem with that is my kick tends to be more from the knee.  Anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to help remedy this?  Do you think getting some swim fins might help?

My second question.  I had never really given it any thought until tonight.  I have been swimming in a regular baggy type bathing suit.  I noticed tonight that my pockets turn inside out when I swim.  Is it possible that this is causing me a lot of drag and slowing me down?  Not that it matters that much right now but just curious what people's thoughts are.   

Thanks

You should probably look to get some jammers, you are basically pulling a parachute now!

I have to focus on this myself, but try pushing the chest down along with keeping your head down.  When I focus on this I can feel my hips and legs level out!   

2009-02-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1948261

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
TriRSquared - 2009-02-05 10:12 PM

Garmin 305 question...

I'm not sure either!  I'll play around with it some over the next couple of days.  I have set the alarm to go off on time, but never tried to lap with time.  But I can see the value in looking at this for inside riding.

2009-02-06 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1948274

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
snaproll - 2009-02-05 10:24 PM
TriRSquared - 2009-02-05 9:12 PM

Garmin 305 question...

Not sure how to set laps by time.  You can push the lap key any time you want but that's probably not going to be a very constant distribution. 

I don't know what you mean by more data points.  Doesn't your 305 record every second?

By the way, your heart rate is fantastic.  My max rate ever on the bike is 169.  At 163 to 165 I start to go anaerobic.

Yes it does but when I upload to the data log it only lists one lap with a start and end point.  We did intervals so I would expect to see my HR go up and down on the graph.  It looks as if it's just averaging it all across the entire workout.

Thanks.. it was about to jump out of my chest...

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-02-06 8:58 AM
2009-02-06 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
CraigT - 2009-02-05 8:42 PM

Thanks

I don't know if you saw it, but there was a good thread on this topic in triathlon talk recently: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Jammers will definitely reduce your drag; something like this: http://www.tyr.com/shop/neptune-splice-jammer-p-731-c-1_2_3_109.htm...

2009-02-07 3:21 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
What's everyone have going on this weekend?  It sounds like those of us in the north might be getting a little break in the weather, so take advantage of it if you can!!!
I'm heading south for the next week or so!  So I might not be on line as much, but I'll check in from time to time when I can!
Have a great weekend!!!
2009-02-08 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Just got home from a get away to Philly, hence the days off on Friday and Saturday.  Got on the indoor trainer for 2 hours since the roads in Binghamton hadn't melted as well as the ones in Philadelphia. =( Happy training this week!
2009-02-08 10:00 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

My husband can't get his feet to stay up either and I have PHYSICALLY kicked his legs/feet for him!  Have you tried a pull buoy just to get used to the rest of your stroke without worrying where your feet are?  Do you do any kicking with a kickboard so that you can focus only on your feet?  

I think it was Ken who mentioned your shoulders.  Try to "press" them towards the bottom of the pool to get your hips up (hubby pushes his head down with his shoulders which goofs up breathing...your body is flexible so think of it as a slinky-goofy, I know-so you CAN keep your head neutral while pushing your shoulders down and your hips up).

Keep in mind that you may also need to check a few other things: Are you pulling in your abs when you swim? That helps posture.  Are you tightening your butt when you kick? That helps, too.

Kicking with your knees bent too much will hinder your swimming.  Try a little vertical kicking (arms across chest and kick with head up and feet towards bottom of pool).  Try not let your body move around the pool (that means the foot kicking forward and the foot moving backwards will learn to kick the water properly).

You asked about fins.  They may be worth a shot, but not sure about how they'll help with getting your lets up.  I'd put them on and kick with a kickboard.  Break the water with each kick (I've caught swim instructors teaching kiddies to kick under water just to cut down on splashes that might interfere with other swimmers, pfffffffft to that!).

CraigT - 2009-02-05 9:42 PM

Thanks

2009-02-09 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hey folks...no issues from my long ride yesterday except when I hopped on the trainer today for just 45 minutes it felt like an eternity.  Yesterday I made it through reading magazines, watching tv and watching the husband play xbox.  Today none of it worked!
2009-02-10 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I must've goofed up my options somewhere because now I can't see anyone else's posts!!!

2009-02-10 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1953705

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-09 9:50 PM Hey folks...no issues from my long ride yesterday except when I hopped on the trainer today for just 45 minutes it felt like an eternity.  Yesterday I made it through reading magazines, watching tv and watching the husband play xbox.  Today none of it worked!

Some times I find it is a matter of expectations.  In other words if you know you have a 2 hour ride, you are mentally prepared for it, whereas when you only have an hour you are only prepared for an hour.  To me, the last 20 minutes or so are always a mental challenge regardless how long it is.

Good job sticking with it!

2009-02-10 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1954818

User image

Veteran
Houston
kenj - 2009-02-10 12:20 PM

WittyCityGirl - 2009-02-09 9:50 PM Hey folks...no issues from my long ride yesterday except when I hopped on the trainer today for just 45 minutes it felt like an eternity. Yesterday I made it through reading magazines, watching tv and watching the husband play xbox. Today none of it worked!

Some times I find it is a matter of expectations. In other words if you know you have a 2 hour ride, you are mentally prepared for it, whereas when you only have an hour you are only prepared for an hour. To me, the last 20 minutes or so are always a mental challenge regardless how long it is.

Good job sticking with it!

Amen to that Ken, so much of this sport is fighting the demons between the ears. The self talk can be uplifting, motivational even spiritual (usually early in a race/workout) then near the end whether its a 50 mile ride, a half mary or the last 5 minutes of an interval those sneaky demons come from outta the blue to try and sabotage your brain into a rear naked choke hold.
2009-02-11 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

OK, a few questions on swimming:

1. Who's stupid idea was it to include swimming in the tri?  Ping pong, sky diving, Russian roulette... all seem like better options.
  2. The big problem I have is getting enough O2.  I've gone from breathing every 4th stroke to every 2nd stroke (every right stroke) but I can't seem to get enough air.  I can't breath on my left side.  Is this a problem with technique or just a matter of sticking with it?
  3. I have no (that's ZERO) endurance in the water.  I can't go 75 yards without stopping to put my bulging eyes back in.  It's really pitiful.  I'm taking either 20 or 21 strokes per length (25 yards).  I'm trying to relax and glide, but I suspect I'm actually flailing and... well, just flailing.
  4. I'm trying hard to keep my head down, even when I roll to breath.  But I get a nose full of water every now and then.  Does anyone wear a nose clip?

Must.....   keep.....   trying.....

2009-02-12 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1958162

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
snaproll - 2009-02-11 11:34 PM

1. Who's stupid idea was it to include swimming in the tri?  Ping pong, sky diving, Russian roulette... all seem like better options.
  2. The big problem I have is getting enough O2.  I've gone from breathing every 4th stroke to every 2nd stroke (every right stroke) but I can't seem to get enough air.  I can't breath on my left side.  Is this a problem with technique or just a matter of sticking with it?
  3. I have no (that's ZERO) endurance in the water.  I can't go 75 yards without stopping to put my bulging eyes back in.  It's really pitiful.  I'm taking either 20 or 21 strokes per length (25 yards).  I'm trying to relax and glide, but I suspect I'm actually flailing and... well, just flailing.
  4. I'm trying hard to keep my head down, even when I roll to breath.  But I get a nose full of water every now and then.  Does anyone wear a nose clip?

OK, just my two cents.  If I was an expert I'd be doing this for a living

1.  Blame the Wikkikki Open water Swim guys.  Maybe the first event should be a beer drinking contest

2.  I have always breathed every 2nd stroke.  I have found when I get out of breath it usually means I'm stroking too fast.  When I slow down my strokes I can breathe better.  And my times usually go down too (totally counter intuitive).  Also be sure to exhale while under water and keep exhaling as you break the water.  You cannot get in enough new O2 if you have lungs full of C02 and old O2.

I practiced alternate breathing (every 3rd stroke) last year in anticipation of waves in my face at St. Anthony's.  It was very difficult but after a while I could do it no problem.  At the race I found that you just time your breathing and strokes ot the waves and never had to left side breathe.  This year I'm not even bothering with left side breathing.

3.  Again, slow.  Real slow.  I have to FORCE myself to go slow.  I find that I can force myself to do it if I keep my leading hand extended longer (until my retracted hand is exiting the water on the end of my stroke).  It forces you to "glide" a bit.  It may not be the fastest stroke but it works well for long swims.

4.  I look slightly back over my shoulder when breathing.  The shoulder creates this pocket that keeps water out of your face.  Make sure you keep blowing out as your face breaks the surface to clear the water out of your mouth and nose.

I have also noticed that I suck in more water as I speed up my strokes.  It churns the water more.  Again, I slow down, it's easier to breath, and my times go down.

All last year I wore a nose clip.  This year I decided to try to swim without one.  It was hard at first but you get used to it.

This was part of my motovation for getting rid of the clip.  I raced up to mile 4 of the run with this around my neck (this is me coming out of T2).  Had no idea it was there.  What a dork!

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-02-12 9:20 AM

(tri3.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
tri3.JPG (45KB - 8 downloads)
2009-02-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1958535

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
TriRSquared - 2009-02-12 10:18 AM
snaproll - 2009-02-11 11:34 PM

OK, just my two cents.  If I was an expert I'd be doing this for a living

1.  Blame the Wikkikki Open water Swim guys.  Maybe the first event should be a beer drinking contest

2.  I have always breathed every 2nd stroke.  I have found when I get out of breath it usually means I'm stroking too fast.  When I slow down my strokes I can breathe better.  And my times usually go down too (totally counter intuitive).  Also be sure to exhale while under water and keep exhaling as you break the water.  You cannot get in enough new O2 if you have lungs full of C02 and old O2.

I practiced alternate breathing (every 3rd stroke) last year in anticipation of waves in my face at St. Anthony's.  It was very difficult but after a while I could do it no problem.  At the race I found that you just time your breathing and strokes ot the waves and never had to left side breathe.  This year I'm not even bothering with left side breathing.

3.  Again, slow.  Real slow.  I have to FORCE myself to go slow.  I find that I can force myself to do it if I keep my leading hand extended longer (until my retracted hand is exiting the water on the end of my stroke).  It forces you to "glide" a bit.  It may not be the fastest stroke but it works well for long swims.

4.  I look slightly back over my shoulder when breathing.  The shoulder creates this pocket that keeps water out of your face.  Make sure you keep blowing out as your face breaks the surface to clear the water out of your mouth and nose.

I have also noticed that I suck in more water as I speed up my strokes.  It churns the water more.  Again, I slow down, it's easier to breath, and my times go down.

All last year I wore a nose clip.  This year I decided to try to swim without one.  It was hard at first but you get used to it.

This was part of my motovation for getting rid of the clip.  I raced up to mile 4 of the run with this around my neck (this is me coming out of T2).  Had no idea it was there.  What a dork!

Good advice! 

At least you didn't leave your goggles on!

2009-02-12 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Don,

Thanks for the great feedback.  I went to the pool again today and did a bit better.  I'm actually pretty happy with my stroke for the first 25 yards, then at the 50 mark it starts falling apart.  From 50 - 100 yards it all gets pretty ugly and is followed by a lot of huffing and puffing. 

Your input helped today.  Thanks again.

2009-02-13 7:47 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Glad some of the advice helped...

Well I had an interesting two days.

Last night went out for a run and at mile 2 my left foot went numb.  Pretty quick.  Stopped and relaced my shoe thinking it was too tight.  No help.  By mile 2.5 it was completely numb.  You know that pins and needles feeling.  Really started to hurt.  Had to abandon my run soon after.  Not sure what was happending.  Any thoughts?

Then today in spin class we did a MAF test to determine our max heart rate.  Mine came out to 195.  I think I probably had anothe 5 or so beats left in me but that's pretty close to what I thought it was.  Man I was wiped out after that...

-Sean

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-02-13 7:47 AM
2009-02-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1960233

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas
TriRSquared - 2009-02-13 7:47 AM

Then today in spin class we did a MAF test to determine our max heart rate.  Mine came out to 195.  I think I probably had anothe 5 or so beats left in me but that's pretty close to what I thought it was.  Man I was wiped out after that...

-Sean

195?  That's HUGE.  (Sean?  Where did I get Don??  Sorry about that.)

No help here on the foot.  ????

2009-02-13 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1960233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
TriRSquared - 2009-02-13 8:47 AM

Glad some of the advice helped...

Well I had an interesting two days.

Last night went out for a run and at mile 2 my left foot went numb.  Pretty quick.  Stopped and relaced my shoe thinking it was too tight.  No help.  By mile 2.5 it was completely numb.  You know that pins and needles feeling.  Really started to hurt.  Had to abandon my run soon after.  Not sure what was happending.  Any thoughts?

-Sean

Sean,
The only time I have ever dealt with a numb foot while running it was directly related to the shoes I was wearing.  I would find the same thing as you.  It was at that point that I decided no more trying to find something on sale that would kind of work.  I went to the local running store, dropped $125 on some new Sauconys and haven't had a problem since.  Any chance you are running in new shoes?  Also what kind of socks do you have?  I find the running specific socks really do help alot to give a little extra cushioning and comfort. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29