BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-05-12 6:08 AM
in reply to: #2144899

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy

JeepFleeb - 2009-05-12 2:59 PM
Bill - 2009-05-11 8:56 PM
I don't think there's any good evidence to support any benefit from hydrating more the week before a race. But not dehydrating is a good goal, so in your case it will help to get extra fluids. Whatever is palatable is a good start... any flavor Gatorade/Powerade/sports drink with electrolytes is fine.

If anything, people tend to over hydrate before races.  Have you seen the guy carrying the gallon jug of water around the expo the day before the marathon?  Yeah, he's drinking so much that he's flushing sodium and other minerals out of his system.  He's also the one who cramped up with 10K to go.

General rule: if your urine is clear you're over hydrated.  Pale yellow should be the goal and race week is no different.

I can vouch for this. I was placed on diuretics by my doctor to combat a fluid retention issue I had. The diuretics made me 'pee like a racehorse' and a side-effect was a loss of elements like sodium and potassium, which led to severe cramping. You need to ensure that you don't flush your system of these minerals and other elements or you will suffer the consequences!

2009-05-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Bill et all, I have a question regarding training routine, or more to the point, a break in routine. I will be traveling interstate next week for business and I cannot take my bike and the hotel I am staying at does not have a (suitable) pool. I guess I will be limited to running and other strength exercises I can manage in my room (no gym either). Is it okay to just pound the pavement each day for the week I will be away or is there something else I can do to vary things up a bit.

I am concerned that I will a) over-eat b) eat the wrong things c) not do enough exercise to maintain the weight-loss trend and maintain what little fitness I have developed. Am I being too concerned or is there something that I am missing?

I look forward to your suggestions.....

2009-05-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2145029

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Iron_Gus - 2009-05-12 6:16 AM

Bill et all, I have a question regarding training routine, or more to the point, a break in routine. I will be traveling interstate next week for business and I cannot take my bike and the hotel I am staying at does not have a (suitable) pool. I guess I will be limited to running and other strength exercises I can manage in my room (no gym either). Is it okay to just pound the pavement each day for the week I will be away or is there something else I can do to vary things up a bit.

I am concerned that I will a) over-eat b) eat the wrong things c) not do enough exercise to maintain the weight-loss trend and maintain what little fitness I have developed. Am I being too concerned or is there something that I am missing?

You are voicing the same concerns I had a couple of months ago, in preparation for my HIM.  I travel a lot for work.  I'm fortunate that I can usually pick my hotel, and the first thing I look at is whether it has a decent fitness room or access to a gym.  I don't find it to be comparable to working out at home because I absolutely love being outside, so the gym environment isn't ideal.  But I try to set my routine based on my work commitments -- sometimes I have to get up very early to get a workout in.  But that's better than no workout at all!

I also invested in a swim leash.  That's another thing that isn't ideal, but at least you don't have to swim teeny, tiny laps!

But if none of this stuff works for you, running is a great workout!  A few days of laying off other activities won't kill you, and running does wonders for your fitness. 

Restaurant eating is a challenge.  Be strong, make good choices, and remember that you don't have to finish everything they serve you.  In fact, sometimes what they serve can be two meals.  I never feel obligated to eat all of my meals with the people I travel with.  I'm sure they get just as tired of being around me as I get being around them.    So keep it up and come back just as strong as when you left!!!

2009-05-12 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I am looking at 4 1/2 to 6 months of living, at a 'residence inn' by mariott, 4 Km from the Toronto Pearson airport. I am little worried about my training as well. There is a pool and from the picture it looks fairley long and narrow, so fingers crossed on that. There is a 'small' fitness room according to the sales associate I was speaking too. Also there is a possibility I will be able to still bike to work!

The more unfortunate thing is that because I do not know my course schedule yet I can't comit to a triathlon yet, as I don't want to schedule it on a weekend before and important evaluation.

So traveling make take its toll, but in the long run I think that any kind of physical activity will keep you sharp and feeling good on extended time away from home.

As for eating healthy, I am lucky because the unit I am staying at will have a kitchen, but even when eating out now I find myself being cautious. I am proud of the good I am doing for my body and feel a stronger urge not to sabotage that, then the urge for deep fried anything, or triple chocolate desert!
2009-05-12 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Cheri - please elaborate on your 'swim leash' please.
steve
2009-05-12 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2147192

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

EvenOlder - 2009-05-12 8:31 PM Cheri - please elaborate on your 'swim leash' please.
steve

Sure, a swim leash is an elastic band that attaches to a stationary object below the water line (like a ladder), then on the other end has a band that fastens around your waist.  Then you just swim and swim and swim until you are bored to death, but you never go anywhere!   Not exciting, but at least you get some swimming in!

2009-05-12 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

How times, and attitudes, change! I wasn't comfortable in just accepting that I would not be able to do anything other than hit the pavement I called the Hotel I am booked into next week to see what they have available by way of exercise equipment. Turns out that they have an arrangement with the local Fitness First gym for hotel guests - that they don't advertise. Looks like I can use the gym for free as a hotel guest for the week. Also, there is a park two blocks away that has running / riding trails throughout.

This new attitude did not exist a few short weeks ago....

I feel better knowing that I can at least get to a gym and a running trail.

2009-05-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2147354

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-05-12 10:32 PM

How times, and attitudes, change! I wasn't comfortable in just accepting that I would not be able to do anything other than hit the pavement I called the Hotel I am booked into next week to see what they have available by way of exercise equipment. Turns out that they have an arrangement with the local Fitness First gym for hotel guests - that they don't advertise. Looks like I can use the gym for free as a hotel guest for the week. Also, there is a park two blocks away that has running / riding trails throughout.

This new attitude did not exist a few short weeks ago....

I feel better knowing that I can at least get to a gym and a running trail.

Sounds great Gus!

I'm potentially facing a similar situation as I consider a job that would have me spending half of my time on off-shore drilling platforms. I'm hearing that they have "fitness facilities" that include treadmills and stationary bikes. I'm trying to focus on the upside, which includes spending half my time at home with no work obligations and being able to train as much as I want/need.

2009-05-13 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2145029

User image

Veteran
Iron_Gus - 2009-05-12 6:16 AM

Gus

In most metropolitan area in the US one can go the YMCA or gym with a pool and pay a nominal daily fee to swim. Use the following website to help find a pool: http://www.swimmersguide.com.
2009-05-13 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2147699

User image

Veteran

I'm potentially facing a similar situation as I consider a job that would have me spending half of my time on off-shore drilling platforms.

Just think of all the OWS sessions you could get in!

Edited by dixrp 2009-05-13 9:07 AM
2009-05-13 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Towards the end of my swim workout this morning I was supposed to be doing 10 x 50 with 10 sec rest. On repeats 7-10 I was getting fatigued and my stroke was suffering. When you get in this situation do you extend the rest periods or just suffer though the workout? I slowed down and rested more keeping my stroke as best I could.
Your thoughts-

2009-05-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2147913

User image

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-05-13 9:07 AM
I'm potentially facing a similar situation as I consider a job that would have me spending half of my time on off-shore drilling platforms.

Just think of all the OWS sessions you could get in!

See... that was my first thought too. But I'm told that's not cool. Maybe no one has ever asked.
2009-05-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2147928

User image

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-05-13 9:13 AM Towards the end of my swim workout this morning I was supposed to be doing 10 x 50 with 10 sec rest. On repeats 7-10 I was getting fatigued and my stroke was suffering. When you get in this situation do you extend the rest periods or just suffer though the workout? I slowed down and rested more keeping my stroke as best I could. Your thoughts-

I always extend the rest period if I get in that situation. I'd rather do that than swim with poor form.
2009-05-13 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Good form done slowly is faster in the water than bad form done fast.
steve
2009-05-13 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2147928

User image

Extreme Veteran
dixrp - 2009-05-13 8:13 AM Towards the end of my swim workout this morning I was supposed to be doing 10 x 50 with 10 sec rest. On repeats 7-10 I was getting fatigued and my stroke was suffering. When you get in this situation do you extend the rest periods or just suffer though the workout? I slowed down and rested more keeping my stroke as best I could. Your thoughts-

Definitely extend the rest time. It's better to swim with good form than to get into bad habits while trying to swim fast.
2009-05-14 10:16 AM

New user
Gautier, MS
Well, it finally happened.  My first wreck on the tri bike.  I was riding on a paved road around the golf course by my house and there is a little dip in the road that acts as an overflow for a pond.  The dip is concrete.  As I was coming up to it I got out of aero and up on the horns.   Just as I crossed onto the concrete I noticed the road was busted up in my lane just past the concrete section.  I didn't want to hit that head on so I decided I would drift into the left lane and go around it.  As I eased to the left I didn't even notice that the concrete section had an expansion joint about 1" wide that ran parallel with me.  My front tire fell down into it and down I went.... hard.  My ankle, knee, hip, shoulder blade, elbow, and the side of my arm have some deep scrapes and road rash.  My knee and ankle are hurting pretty bad from the bone hitting the road so hard.  I can walk, but it hurts and I am pretty slow.  I am hoping this doesn't keep me inactive for more than a day or two.  Thankfully the bike doesn't seem to have any problems.

I had been wondering if my feet were going to stay in or pop out if I ever got in a wreck.  I have confirmed that my feet will come out.

2009-05-14 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2150504

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

cole18msu - 2009-05-14 10:16 AM Well, it finally happened.  My first wreck on the tri bike.  I was riding on a paved road around the golf course by my house and there is a little dip in the road that acts as an overflow for a pond.  The dip is concrete.  As I was coming up to it I got out of aero and up on the horns.   Just as I crossed onto the concrete I noticed the road was busted up in my lane just past the concrete section.  I didn't want to hit that head on so I decided I would drift into the left lane and go around it.  As I eased to the left I didn't even notice that the concrete section had an expansion joint about 1" wide that ran parallel with me.  My front tire fell down into it and down I went.... hard.  My ankle, knee, hip, shoulder blade, elbow, and the side of my arm have some deep scrapes and road rash.  My knee and ankle are hurting pretty bad from the bone hitting the road so hard.  I can walk, but it hurts and I am pretty slow.  I am hoping this doesn't keep me inactive for more than a day or two.  Thankfully the bike doesn't seem to have any problems.

I had been wondering if my feet were going to stay in or pop out if I ever got in a wreck.  I have confirmed that my feet will come out.

Oh geez!  Take it easy, and don't push your knee and ankle for a couple of days.  Make sure you are healthy before training hard again.  Good luck!

2009-05-15 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sounds like you had a pretty gnarly wreck there Cole, but now you can show everyone just how tuff you are by showing off your newly acquired bruises and scrapes. Just be like yeah it was nothing really just hopped back on the bike and headed home. I'm glad you and your bike are ok, just take it easy for a couple days. If this happened yesterday my guess is that you'll feel the worse on Saturday. I just started training in clipless pedals back in March so I know that you definitely come unclipped once you fall which is a good thing. I always had visions of myself lying on the ground and still stuck to my pedals grant it, it's pretty funny in my visions but probably wouldn't be as funny if that were actually the case.
2009-05-15 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Does anybody here have a swim I pod? I am going to get one and just want to see if you liked yours!
2009-05-15 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2153264

User image

Regular
Jacksonville
dixrp - 2009-05-15 12:19 PM

Does anybody here have a swim I pod? I am going to get one and just want to see if you liked yours!

I didn't even know they made those.

But I much prefer the sounds of me gasping for air as I train wreck my way through the water
2009-05-15 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I like catching 1 second clips of the MUZAK playing over the swim loud speakers when I breath.

" I wear my sunglasses at night ......"

pumps me up!

2009-05-15 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't have one but a couple of people I swim with do and are pretty attached to them.
2009-05-16 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Hey guys sorry I've been MIA. My son and I are trying to decide which one of us is supposed to be taking care of the other as we're both down hard with viral junk. The girls are in West Texas at a wedding so we're here tearing up the house, lounging around in our underwear (boxers/diapers) and watching movies.

I'm going to shuffle my training plan back a couple of weeks and try to pick back up with some light stuff tomorrow or Monday.
2009-05-16 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Hey Bill, isn't the son a little young for diapers!?!  

2009-05-18 9:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Hello everybody!
FEEL BETTER BILL!

New Topic:
What to wear for sprint distance?
I've been wearing my thigh-length speedos throughout the whole thing, and putting on a simple tight/wicking nike shirt for the bike/run.

I'm ready to cut my four minute T1/ two minute T2 down a bit.

So-
1. I've got bike shoes mounted to the bike and i practice once a week to just hop on, and slide in the bare feet as i go.

2. I'll get a race belt for the number

3. I'm looking at the Yankz! laces.  Anyone with other brand experience?

4. What to wear:
TOP:  I'm not racing courses that need wetsuits, so I'd like to wear the lightest/low drag top i can that i can wear through the S/B/R.

BOTTOM:  I'm only riding 13.1 mi or less, so NO PADDING.  I just haven't found any "tri" specific shorts without fleece/chamois.
Stick with the speedos?

Any ideas are appreciated,
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2009-05-18 9:16 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26