BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed?

I think this was my biggest month for run volume. Looking back I probably could have run another 6 times. So 50miles.  Oh well. Another time to hit 200miles.

2010-01-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #2644457

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-30 1:24 PM

I think this was my biggest month for run volume. Looking back I probably could have run another 6 times. So 50miles.  Oh well. Another time to hit 200miles.

Your last two weeks have been unreal.  How are you feeling given the increase?
2010-01-30 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2644481

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-30 1:51 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-01-30 1:24 PM

Your last two weeks have been unreal.  How are you feeling given the increase?

This morning I was a bit tired, but I also had two beers last night. Left knee felt a bit off, like I banged it. Run was great. I feel like a slacker because the month starter slow, even though I got great volume and work in.  Its something I struggle with always feel like I should have done more.

{edit}

Ice baths, compression, elevation, and decent sleep have done wonders.

{/edit}

Edited by aarondavidson 2010-01-30 12:58 PM
2010-01-30 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2644342

User image

NH
mdfahy - 2010-01-30 12:03 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your warm welcomes into the group.  I feel very lucky to have such awesome mentors, you all are great!

We are snowed in here in Virginia, supposed to get up to twelve inches.  They close everything in this town when snow is forecast.  Nice to just chill and spend some time with my daughter and wife.

Serena just smoked Henin in the last set in Australian open final. 

Have fun with the family.  Pretty unusual for you down there I'd guess, certainly that amount. 

Go for a run if you get a chance - it's kind of magical to be out when the world is white and snow is falling.

It's great to have you in here and we look forward to following your races since you're doing so much early season stuff.
2010-01-30 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2643125

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-01-29 3:22 AM Seeing that everyone else is willng to run outside in the cold, and since I'm getting bored with running on the treadmill, I just invested in a pair of long fleece running/biking pants.  I probably won't get them for a few days, and wouldn't think of going outside for a run this weekend... Highs of about 20 with windchills in the single digits.  But I'm starting to feel like a wimp with my "50 degree rule" (won't run outside if it's below that).  So I'm going to suck it up up and lower my "threshold temperature" to about 35-40 degrees.  See you out on the frozen tundra!

I have my threshold set at 20 degrees - so I wouldn't make it outside in your neck of the woods this weekend either! I have heard that you feel like it is 20 degrees warmer (once you start running) - and I don't wear a coat unless it is less than 40 normally...It's tough on really clear crisp days to not get out, regardless of the temp because it is so beautiful out. Just be careful of the wind chill and try to protect your skin.
2010-01-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2643549

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
RunRene - 2010-01-29 6:24 AM

1.  While training, for the BIKE is it necessary to ride over 50 miles and for the RUN is it necessary to run over 13.1 miles?  I didn't plan on doing so, but seeing that Ray went beyond the race distances while training got me thinking.

For me - it is all mental. If I know I can do the distance, I won't become anxious about doing the distance during the race. I make myself do the complete distance (on the actual course if possible) at least once before the race - not necessarily back to back (swim, bike, run).

I got some pictures together for my biking and running routes. I have posted them in an album titled "Torture Chamber". Things really do look very different in the spring/summer so as we get warmer here, I'll update the pics.

Ray - I loved the pictures of the ice - as dangerous as it is, trees covered in ice are really beautiful.

2010-01-30 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2644517

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-30 2:13 PM
billsorg - 2010-01-29 3:22 AM Seeing that everyone else is willng to run outside in the cold, and since I'm getting bored with running on the treadmill, I just invested in a pair of long fleece running/biking pants.  I probably won't get them for a few days, and wouldn't think of going outside for a run this weekend... Highs of about 20 with windchills in the single digits.  But I'm starting to feel like a wimp with my "50 degree rule" (won't run outside if it's below that).  So I'm going to suck it up up and lower my "threshold temperature" to about 35-40 degrees.  See you out on the frozen tundra!

I have my threshold set at 20 degrees - so I wouldn't make it outside in your neck of the woods this weekend either! I have heard that you feel like it is 20 degrees warmer (once you start running) - and I don't wear a coat unless it is less than 40 normally...It's tough on really clear crisp days to not get out, regardless of the temp because it is so beautiful out. Just be careful of the wind chill and try to protect your skin.

My threshold is around 20 as well all depending on the wind. Sunny and no/low wind is fine. That wind starts to pickup, no thanks.

2010-01-31 12:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I'm hesitant to post pictures of my running area...no snow or ice or anything. I feel bad...warm...but bad ;-)

Welcome Matt. Awesome milestone, Warren. Aaron, dude, don't hurt yourself, but 200 would be beyond impressive...unthinkable more like.
2010-01-31 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2645267

User image

NH
bfoyle - 2010-01-31 1:10 AM I'm hesitant to post pictures of my running area...no snow or ice or anything. I feel bad...warm...but bad ;-)

Welcome Matt. Awesome milestone, Warren. Aaron, dude, don't hurt yourself, but 200 would be beyond impressive...unthinkable more like.

Post away.  We'd love to see some warm surroundings, you'll be giving us a great gift.  It keeps us going through these 0 degree nights!
2010-01-31 7:44 AM

User image

Elite

Two great articles on running technique.

Running Faster
More on Running Faster

These are long term process improvements and not something to jump into too quickly.

2010-01-31 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2645361

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Aaron for the articles and pointing to Joe Friel's blog.  I have his Training Bible book, but I wasn't aware of his blog.  It also helped reinforce the strides workout which I have sometimes not followed to the tee and understand better why that is important to stay true to the workouts. 

Any other web resources you use/follow or favorite triathlete websites?

Edited by mdfahy 2010-01-31 5:46 PM

2010-01-31 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2642239

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Warren - the 100 mile man, awesome!
2010-01-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2643549

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I would also be curious to hear thoughts on Nutrition.

For my marathon I kept it fairly simple, looked at what the race provided, Powerade, and trained with it, tracked my sweat rate and did a fairly simple carb load and prerace meal.  I didn't use any special nutrition supplements for the marathon or ever. 

Now for triathlons, I am thinking more for HIM than anything especially since it could be 90 degrees with high humidity at Florida 70.3.  A past year racer called the FLA 70.3 last year was a Death March due to the heat/humidity.  Also, I have heard of salt tablets, hammer gels, etc.  and a past FLA 70.3 racer suggested using Endurolytes during the run.  I have no experience with any of these and don't think I have enough time to practice with several possible supplements so my current plan is again to see what the race offers and train with that.  Maybe look into salt tablets or endurolytes and try them in training.

Thoughts/Resources? 

Edited by mdfahy 2010-01-31 3:09 PM
2010-01-31 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2645867

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-01-31 3:59 PM

I would also be curious to hear thoughts on Nutrition.

For my marathon I kept it fairly simple, looked at what the race provided, Powerade, and trained with it, tracked my sweat rate and did a fairly simple carb load and prerace meal.  I didn't use any special nutrition supplements for the marathon or ever. 

Now for triathlons, I am thinking more for HIM than anything especially since it could be 90 degrees with high humidity at Florida 70.3.  A past year racer called the FLA 70.3 last year was a Death March due to the heat/humidity.  Also, I have heard of salt tablets, hammer gels, etc.  and a past FLA 70.3 racer suggested using Endurolytes during the run.  I have no experience with any of these and don't think I have enough time to practice with several possible supplements so my current plan is again to see what the race offers and train with that.  Maybe look into salt tablets or endurolytes and try them in training.

Thoughts/Resources? 

Try to stick with what is on course. Hammer is simply a brand of gel, nearly all are basically the same. Caffeine or no caffeine. Different flavors, but all basically the same. No reason for salt tablets unless you find you need them. Really try to keep it simple.

2010-01-31 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I was hoping you would say that, simple is better.  I also prefer to use more natural sources for nutrition.  Thanks.
2010-01-31 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2646378

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-01-31 9:47 PM I was hoping you would say that, simple is better.  I also prefer to use more natural sources for nutrition.  Thanks.

I think many people tend to over-complicate. Trying to create their own concoctions, buying special powders. Why make it more difficult? Some people have legitimate issues, many what some see as real issues are really just pacing or improper nutrition. You go to hard and your body can not absorb carbs, they will sit in your stomach, so an inexperienced athlete will continue to take more and more in, not absorbing anything, get bloated, gassy,sick and be done.

Do the same thing while running and it all may come back up.

Dont take in enough, then some may try to make it up and cram extra calories in.

End up at a porta-potty.

Your best bet is to stick to water, gatorade, gatorade endurance, and whatever brand gel is cheapest or tastes the best.

Nuun is awesome, InfinIT is awesome, UCAN is great, enduralytes are ok, at the end of the day why complicate? I use nuun and have used salt/enduralytes but mainly in training. I know come race day I have an iron stomach and can tolerate just about anything.

2010-02-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2646570

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-31 11:49 PM

mdfahy - 2010-01-31 9:47 PM I was hoping you would say that, simple is better.  I also prefer to use more natural sources for nutrition.  Thanks.

I think many people tend to over-complicate. Trying to create their own concoctions, buying special powders. Why make it more difficult? Some people have legitimate issues, many what some see as real issues are really just pacing or improper nutrition. You go to hard and your body can not absorb carbs, they will sit in your stomach, so an inexperienced athlete will continue to take more and more in, not absorbing anything, get bloated, gassy,sick and be done.

Do the same thing while running and it all may come back up.

Dont take in enough, then some may try to make it up and cram extra calories in.

End up at a porta-potty.

Your best bet is to stick to water, gatorade, gatorade endurance, and whatever brand gel is cheapest or tastes the best.

Nuun is awesome, InfinIT is awesome, UCAN is great, enduralytes are ok, at the end of the day why complicate? I use nuun and have used salt/enduralytes but mainly in training. I know come race day I have an iron stomach and can tolerate just about anything.

I've never done a 70.3 so take this only as observations.  From reading race reports, talking to long course athletes, and reading on the subject, I completely agree that Aaron has hit the nail on the head. 

It seems most problems are because athletes either:
1) take in too much or
2) are doing something new/different on race day (Rene?  Laughing).

Most training plans have a few long sessions devoted to figuring out nutrition, so I think using those and coming up with a personal strategy makes sense, and then test that strategy on a subsequent session to make sure it works for you.  What works for each person is largely individual as our tolerances are so different.  I've also heard plenty of people say that math skills go down after a few hours, so simple is better!

And as you are implying Matt, the weather can have an impact.  If you are one of us New Englanders, for instance, training all fall in cold wet weather, and then we go to FL or Arizona for an event, we may be shocked by the change. 

I'm not sure how to deal with the weather, but I'll be asking my "advisor" who has done IMFL.  And even people who have experience at this have off days - she DNF'd IMLP last year due to nutrition issues.
2010-02-01 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I can testify to not taking in enough during a HIM.  And it was because I didn't practice nutrition on the bike, so I got dehydrated and bonked on the run.  I finished the race but the run was torture with cramping.  Just find a brand and flavor you like and then practice nutrition & hydration during your long run & bike rides.

I hope everyone had a great weekend.  My wife and I finally got out to see Avatar... holy cow, what a great movie.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  And the 3D is amazing!
2010-02-01 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Interesting article on HR monitoring "What you need to know about training with an HRM"

Nothing really earth-shattering especially if you've read the big thread here on BT but some of the background information was interesting and new to me so I thought I'd link it.
2010-02-01 2:00 PM

User image

NH
I have a general question for everyone.  A few hours after a swimming workout, all I want to do is nap.  After run/bike workouts I really get energized.  I don't know if it's the heat in the pool, the chlorine, or what.

Does anyone else have this happen or is this yet another area where I am strange?
2010-02-01 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2648009

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Unfortunately, I can't say as I usually hit the pool after the kids get in bed so I'm going to bed after I get back from the gym anyways. I do, however, usually feel the need to nap after an early morning run or ride...15-20 minutes usually does the trick.

2010-02-01 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
For swim workouts that have intervals, is there a rest/recovery between intervals?  If so, how long?  Otherwise it just seems like it would be a continuous swim for the total distance.

Examples:
20 x 75 yds
5 x 50 yds
2 x 1000 yds

Edited by mdfahy 2010-02-01 9:17 PM
2010-02-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2648394

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-02-01 5:21 PM For swim workouts that have intervals, is there a rest/recovery between intervals?  If so, how long?  Otherwise it just seems like it would be a continuous swim for the total distance.

20 x 75
5 x 50

Yes. It depends. Depends on fast you can swim, how consistently you can swim, and how long you plan to swim for.

I have done 50x50 on 1:00, so that would be 50 reps of 50yards leaving on 1:00. If I do a rep in 45seconds then I get 15s of rest, if it takes 55s then I only get 5s of rest.

You want a rest interval that allows you to keep your form but gets you pushing.

2010-02-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2648009

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-01 3:00 PM I have a general question for everyone.  A few hours after a swimming workout, all I want to do is nap.  After run/bike workouts I really get energized.  I don't know if it's the heat in the pool, the chlorine, or what.

Does anyone else have this happen or is this yet another area where I am strange?

I wish I had that problem. When do you typically swim?

2010-02-01 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2648522

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-02-01 6:24 PM

wbayek - 2010-02-01 3:00 PM I have a general question for everyone.  A few hours after a swimming workout, all I want to do is nap.  After run/bike workouts I really get energized.  I don't know if it's the heat in the pool, the chlorine, or what.

I wish I had that problem. When do you typically swim?

Early morning.  I just die around 11 or so.  A quick walk outside (now that it's winter) usually helps.  I don't swim much yet, I'm just wondering.  I don't remember this during summer when my swims were all in a lake.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76