BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-15 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

Sorry to vent but now I have to go to plan B which is a 5 mile run and I'll do the OWS on Sunday.

Hope everyone had a great day!

2010-04-15 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2795201

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-04-15 6:52 PM Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

Sorry to vent but now I have to go to plan B which is a 5 mile run and I'll do the OWS on Sunday.

Unfortunately that seems like a very common theme in the workplace.  I've been there and there's no easy solution.  Luckily I have a new job and I couldn't be more happy with management.
2010-04-15 10:55 PM

Expert
phxphotog - 2010-04-15 9:52 PM Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

Im sorry to hear that! i know how excited you were about the OWS. Well hopefully the boss will realize how much extra time you are putting in not that that makes these things alright...
2010-04-15 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
phxphotog - 2010-04-15 7:52 PM Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

I know how frustrating it is when I miss a planned workout because I feel I need to stay at work. It must be so much worse when someone else is the cause. Sorry you missed out

Edited by Kath2163 2010-04-15 11:05 PM
2010-04-15 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

calimavs -  Your name wouldn't be referring to Mavericks would it?  I grew up right up the road in Pacifica.

Pretty good day for me, I went 31 miles and held a 17ish pace with some pretty serious headwinds going out...not blazing fast but I felt that I could have held close to that pace for 112; I also did a quick transition and was able to go a relaxed 9:30 pace for 3 miles; finished with a ton in the tank. 

I opted to cancel my swim tonite because I just didn't want to get sick again; last year I was sick, and the week after I did a century, and it relapsed even worse; something I don't need right now.

2010-04-15 11:06 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
phxphotog - 2010-04-15 7:52 PM Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

Maybe start telling your boss you need to leave 30 minutes before you actually have to.  Then you can try to get out at the time you actually want to?  It might seem "sneaky" but some people don't seem to understand that everyone doesn't live for their job.

2010-04-15 11:12 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
To all of you who are doing Ironman races this year. Would you mind just listing your race and date of race in the forum? I want to gather  a list so that I can follow your progress during the races. I watched some of them on the internet (live) last season and am excited for the chance to follow people I "know". Hopefully they will be broadcasting it again on universalsports.com and I can catch you crossing the finish line

2010-04-15 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2795435

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Kath2163 - 2010-04-15 10:12 PM To all of you who are doing Ironman races this year. Would you mind just listing your race and date of race in the forum? I want to gather  a list so that I can follow your progress during the races. I watched some of them on the internet (live) last season and am excited for the chance to follow people I "know". Hopefully they will be broadcasting it again on universalsports.com and I can catch you crossing the finish line

Ironman Arizona - November 21st.

I also wear a GPS tracker unit from http://MyAthlete.biz for all my races, so I'm easy to track. ;-)  So I'll be trackable for my HIMs and marathons all year long as well.
2010-04-15 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Ironman St. George -  May 1

Bib #1055

Which happens to be the year my ancestors, the Welsh, sacked the Saxon hordes of England.  Its a sign!

If my wife is there she'll be updating the race via twitter.

Edited by furiousferret 2010-04-15 11:19 PM
2010-04-15 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2795426

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
furiousferret - 2010-04-15 9:05 PM

calimavs -  Your name wouldn't be referring to Mavericks would it?  I grew up right up the road in Pacifica.

Mavs was an old nickname of mine from college, doesn't have anything to do with Maverick's, but now that you mention it that would be pretty cool!

My plan for this weekend is to actually take a rest day Saturday (oh the horror!) to drive out to Sacramento to visit some friends who just relocated from SoCal recently. Sunday I'll be riding about 35 miles with my husband and then doing a 55 minute run. And I'll be spending Friday night doing a much needed deep clean of my bike. Sort of crazy that I'm only a little more than 2 weeks out from Wildflower.
2010-04-15 11:53 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
I'm debating whether I should take my friend up on his offer to train with him.  Saturday he's doing a 10 hour training day and I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with him.  All he told me was he'd start off with about a 60mile road bike ride, then do a 10-15 mile run, then jump on the mountain bike.  He mainly does adventure races (used to race for Osprey Packs a year or two ago, but not sure of his status now that he just had a baby... well his wife did).  I went to support him during the 24 Hours of Triathlon last year that he did solo.  He won it by doing 1.8 Ironman distances, plus 2 extra swims (so 2 Ironman distance worth of swimming and 1.8 distances on the run and bike).  The guy who got second place did 1.6 distances.  He's a machine!  I've been scared to even attempt to train with him, but since he offered I'm thinking I at least try to stay with him for as long as I can.  I'm sure it'll be a huge learning experience training with someone like that.  But geez... talk about being intimidated.

2010-04-16 4:21 AM
in reply to: #2794967

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-04-15 6:57 PM OK, so what are the weekend training plans? Me? Hoping to run for 1 hour, swim for 1 hour and bike for 4 hours. You?

Supposed to a 2.5 hour ride and a 1 hour brick, plus a swim tomorrow and then an hour ride Sunday.  Between the forecasted crappy weather and a work meeting tomorrow, there may be some adjustment made.  But, I will make an honest attempt to get it all in!

2010-04-16 4:22 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

phxphotog - 2010-04-15 9:52 PM Update on OWS. As many of you know I work at the CNN affiliate here in Phoenix as a news cameraman. Today I had to edit a story that we did on a local musician that has a song on itunes. She claimed that she wasn't getting paid for all of the downloads. I had told my producer that I had to leave at 3:30 to make my OWS. She has known since the beginning of the week that this was my plan. Well she screwed me again today and I wasn't able to leave until 4:10. By the time I made it out the lake, they were almost done. It doesn't matter if it's track practice, swimming, doctors appt. She just doesn't care and I'm always late to everything. I think she's way in over her head with this job and I think the work speaks for itself. It wouldn't be a problem but people here in Phoenix want to work out around 5pm or earlier and I'm struggling to make this happen.

Thats too bad that you missed your OWS! 

2010-04-16 4:22 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-04-16 12:12 AM To all of you who are doing Ironman races this year. Would you mind just listing your race and date of race in the forum? I want to gather  a list so that I can follow your progress during the races. I watched some of them on the internet (live) last season and am excited for the chance to follow people I "know". Hopefully they will be broadcasting it again on universalsports.com and I can catch you crossing the finish line

IMFL - November 6th!

2010-04-16 4:42 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-16 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2795539

2010-04-16 4:45 AM
in reply to: #2795084

2010-04-16 4:47 AM

2010-04-16 4:49 AM
in reply to: #2795426

2010-04-16 5:19 AM

2010-04-16 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2795553

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-04-16 4:19 AM Lastly, my wife is currently out running. This of course alters my train in the morning routine, but we work together to get our workouts in. Anyone else have a partner that also trains?

My significant other did one tri last year and joins me and my friends for an occasional run or bike ride but he has no plans to do another.  However, he is a great supporter and photographer at the races and has gone above and beyond by living through more long mornings then he needs to. What is interesting is that after every race I have competed in, he is asleep on the couch before I have even finished rinsing out my wetsuit.  One time after a race (Olympic) I had to have him pull over on the highway during an 1.25 hour drive home so that I could take over the driving as he was falling asleep at the wheel.  Being a spectator isn't easy

Edited by Kath2163 2010-04-16 7:37 AM

2010-04-16 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2795544

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-04-16 5:43 AM
kenj - 2010-04-16 5:22 AM

Kath2163 - 2010-04-16 12:12 AM To all of you who are doing Ironman races this year. Would you mind just listing your race and date of race in the forum? I want to gather  a list so that I can follow your progress during the races. I watched some of them on the internet (live) last season and am excited for the chance to follow people I "know". Hopefully they will be broadcasting it again on universalsports.com and I can catch you crossing the finish line

IMFL - November 6th!

I have a good friend in town doing IMFL and a good BT friend is also doing it. Ken, what are your goals for IMFL?

There are a lot of BT'ers going, of course there always is anymore with all the major IM's!

At this point my focus is on Musselman with my training, but if I am successful in reaching my Musselman goal of 5:40 I think I can successfully hit my IM goal of 12:30.  The HIM goal is an hour PR and IM is 90 minutes, but last year I was in terrible bike condition and I am correcting that!  Between experience and the course I am comfortable with the IM goal at this point, but November is a long ways off.  With any luck it wont be a 140.6 mile swim either!

2010-04-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2795553

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-04-16 6:19 AM Lastly, my wife is currently out running. This of course alters my train in the morning routine, but we work together to get our workouts in. Anyone else have a partner that also trains?

My wife doesn't race (other than the occasional 5k) but she does walk a lot everyday!  Never a conflict though as my kids (they were with my first wife) are both grown.  I do enjoy getting on the trainer if she is on the treadmill during the winter, or I will ride along on my mountain bike if I don't have my own workout planned.  Good way to get some nice conversation time! 

2010-04-16 8:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Well, it turned into a pretty poor training week.  I had meetings after school, and a few other obligations came up.  I have a 5k race tomorrow, so hopefully this un-planned rest will help   The race starts about 3km from my house, so I'll probably jog over to get warmed up.  I'm really hoping for a sub 20 min (sub 23 might be more realistic) race, and a top 3 finish.  I don't expect a lot of competition, since most of the "fast" runners around here tend to do the 10k when the option in there, but I'd be happy to have someone to push me.

Less than 2 months until the official start of the multisport season for me, with a sprint duathlon.  I have my bike at home now, so it's time to get it on the road (and yes, I do still plan on posting pics for my bike fit... stay tuned).  Only about 2.5 months left of school, then I have my first summer off in... well, since 9th grade!
2010-04-16 8:53 AM

Master
Redlands, CA
My wife is slowly getting into endurance sports, but isn't quite yet there for tri's; she does walk a 5k a few days a week and does spinning with the occasional ride.

Good luck on the race Wooden Bell, If you think you can podium just try to hang with the guy in first; that's always worked for me when I was fast!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121