BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-22 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2810128

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Hubby and I just signed up for races the weekend of 26/27 June.  He's doing Proud to Run 10K on Saturday then we agreed we would head up to Lake Geneva that evening and spend the night for my first OLY on Sunday...Bigfoot.  A sports weekend...how fun.  

We agreed we would cheer each other on and kid wrangle while the other one was racing.  

FWIW, Proud to Run is the Gay Pride weekend run, and it is a really fun run...we usually don't love runs on the lakefront (we can run on the lakefront anytime, if we are going to shell money out to run, we want to run places we can't normally run, like downtown, or our neighborhood (Bucktown 5k)) but this one is a fun atmosphere and they usually have fun entertainment afterwards.  

A personal fave is the R.O.T.C.- the Riotously Outrageous Twirling Corps...a very swishy precision rifle drill team...hilarious...

I'm also doing Batavia on the 13th of June...a sprint warmup for the OLY...work on transitions etc...

2010-04-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Not sure about the job.  We don't really need the money although the discount and training facilities would be nice.  Hubs and I are discussing.

Ryan, I'm doing a 62 mile charity ride on June 13 in Wheaton.  You're welcome to join our team if you're interested.  My first tri this year will probably be Pleasant Prairie (just a couple miles over the border into WI) which is June 27th I think.  It's a really nice course and well run.  The swim is in a man-made lake so not too choppy at all.  The bike course is fairly flat and fast.  The run wraps around the lake and is also flat but there's no shade so it can be brutal on hot days with the sun beating down.
2010-04-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2810186

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
That's great that you both can race on the same weekend Quincy.  I have heard good things about Bigfoot and have considered doing it myself. Maybe I will look into it too if it's not sold out. I think someone in my office did it last year and got a nice tri bag for their "goodie bag." Maybe I'll ask them about it too.  I am doing two 5ks at the end of May to start my official running/tri season. But at least 1 June and 1 July race would be good before my busy August
2010-04-22 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2810186

User image

Regular
quincyf - 2010-04-22 12:45 PM

FWIW, Proud to Run is the Gay Pride weekend run, and it is a really fun run...we usually don't love runs on the lakefront (we can run on the lakefront anytime, if we are going to shell money out to run, we want to run places we can't normally run, like downtown, or our neighborhood (Bucktown 5k)) but this one is a fun atmosphere and they usually have fun entertainment afterwards.  

This sounds like a BLAST!  I need to look into that for here or NYC
2010-04-22 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
May we talk about clothes a little?

What do you ladies wear?  I am looking at tri suits and a little overwhelmed, especially being a 'big girl'
2010-04-22 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2810842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I am keeping mum on this one and just observing  Especially since I obviously don't know much about womens clothing except for what the wife wears and she is not into tris...at least not yet   I am trying to get her to sign up for a supersprint at one of the races I am doing in August but we'll see.  There are also lots of threads out there too on clothing. 

Edited by blackledge 2010-04-22 7:16 PM

2010-04-22 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have tri shorts and am hoping to get a tri top for this summer.  Last year I swam in my shorts and a sports bra then threw a technical t-shirt on in transition for the rest of the race.  I was about 20lbs heavier last year and didn't want to make a big investment when I knew I'd be losing weight.

Personally, I hate the idea of a one piece suit.  I'm pear-shaped with a short torso and long legs.  Sizes that are the right length and a good fit on top are too small and short on bottom.  If it fits on bottom it's all saggy on top.  I have similar issues with swim suits.  Two pieces are perfect because I can get a bigger size for my more ample areas.
2010-04-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2810922

User image

Regular
blackledge - 2010-04-22 5:00 PM  There are also lots of threads out there too on clothing. 

Hold the phone!  There are other threads on these forums?  I think that the Manatee thread is all I need Wink
2010-04-22 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Oh wow I have a lot of catching up to do here... Our son's christening is this weekend so things will calm down for a bit for me and I can get back on track and read back on the thread.  No training today.  Was going to run at soccer practice for my daughter with the baby in the jogging stroller but thunderstorms came through and practice was cancelled.  So now I have tons to do after just getting them in bed and hubby is at a work function until late tonight.  Tomorrow is walk to school day for my daughter so I will take advantage and turn my return trip home into a short 2-3 mile run. (Feel bad though since I will be abandoning the grandma from across the street who will be walking her granddaughter to school with us...)  
Nite all!

Oh, not sure when my first race will be.... I am trying to find a sprint to do in June and want to do NJ State Tri oly in the end of July to see how on track I am for Timberman HIM.  

Laura 
2010-04-22 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
double post

Edited by elbi999 2010-04-23 9:13 AM
2010-04-22 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2810842

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kerryd - 2010-04-22 1:35 PM May we talk about clothes a little?

What do you ladies wear?  I am looking at tri suits and a little overwhelmed, especially being a 'big girl'

The first season I felt really awkward wearing tri shorts, so I'd throw on some stretchy board-like shorts (actually they were mountain bike shorts) on over my tri shorts for the run. But, now I really don't think about it much and I wear the tri short and a tri top over a quick-dry bra. I put on a long sleeve for the bike on colder races. The one piece tri suits don't work so well for my longish (I'm 5'10") torso and it's harder to get up and down for potty breaks, which I usually have at least one.

I've got some large tri shorts that have NEVER been worn before that are Tyr brand as well as a small top that matches. I didn't really know much about what I was buying that first season and the bottoms are too big and the top too small. If anyone thinks they are interested, they are yours. It would fit a pear shape. PM me if you're interested and I can give you more information. Don't think they'd work for you Ryan.

2010-04-23 4:55 AM
in reply to: #2811256

User image

Melon Presser
kerryd - 2010-04-23 9:41 AM
blackledge - 2010-04-22 5:00 PM  There are also lots of threads out there too on clothing. 

Hold the phone!  There are other threads on these forums?  I think that the Manatee thread is all I need Wink

This, I love.

If I ever get back to a fast Internet connection, it might have to make it into my signature line.

Yep, I think two-piece is the way to go. If you're strapped for funds it takes a little more time, but you can find REALLY cheap tri clothing out there.

One-piece can be an option if you're not using a wetsuit--sometimes the bigger tops of the two-pieces can drag, or the sports bra "scoops" the water and acts as a drag suit. I know some good onesie options for larger women.

Do you have a really good sports bra that immobilizes the girls? This is essential--everything else is actually pretty easy to get once you know what you're looking for.
2010-04-23 7:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Kerry, I am big.  I found a good deal on a pair of tri shorts a few months back, and I now wish I had gotten two pair!

Made by SkirtSports, and I bought them on sale ($29 down from $50+) on www.performancebike.com and I got the 2XL size.  They were one of the few brands that came in larger sizes....

Tri Shorts

THey have pockets on the back of the legs, which seem like they are in a weird place, but turn out to be a perfect spot to stash a few gels (and are accessible for run and bike).  I ran my 15K in these, and do spin class in them, and also did my OWS practice in them, and they were comfy all around.  They sell a matching tank.  I don't see this particular pair on that site anymore, but they do have others from this brand.

I plan on doing two piece for my race for the reasons others stated.   I will swim in these pants, a quick dry bra, and (I think) a tri tank.  I will then throw on a tech T shirt (my gals and I ordered "team" shirts, which I am very excited about!) over that at T1 for the rest of the race. 
2010-04-23 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2811518

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

We are almost the same height Lynn but are you saying that I am not pear shaped? Tongue out

And good point Kerry about this being the supreme and only thread for all questions and answers!

2010-04-23 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I was planning on swimming in my regular suit, then throwing the bike shorts and top over the suit. Bad idea? My first race is 9 days away, so I dunno if I'll have time to find tri shorts, a top, and a quick dry bra. I'm also tall with a long torso and pear shaped, so a one piece tri suit is out for me.

No training today as I'm running in a 5k tomorrow. I do, however, have 2 hours of rehearsal tonight and 2 hours tomorrow.
2010-04-23 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
Good luck on the 5 K tomorrow, Emily!

re: clothing, I think separates are the way to go for me too.  I have a small lower half and carry my weight in my torso.  Must go research and spend some money

Oh, I was SO cranky this morning and it took me a little while to realize that it was because I hadn't worked out!  Progress!

2010-04-23 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Happy Friday Morning All!

Glad to see everyone busy with training.  As far as clothing, I wear a one-piece tri suit.  I have a two piece, but I am kinda shaped like a fat pear.  I am bigger on the bottom, but I also have a bit of excess around my waist too.  Because of that, I am constantly tugging the top down, as it tends to roll up.  I also got a bit of sunburn on my lower back.  I am not too tall (5'8"), so a one piece fits well.

Thanks to everyone for the tips about riding standing up.  I do have a trainer, and it is so much easier there!!  I have yet to try it outside going up hill, but may try for the heck of it over the weekend.   It is not something I plan on doing a lot of, but at the  point I thought about it, I was really struggling and wasn't sure I was going to make it up!  But, I did!!  And I know all about that feeling that I could walk faster.  I feel like that when biking AND running at times.

Allison - that is so cool the bike store actually offered you a job!  Wow, you know so much more about bikes than me!  Whether you take it or not, Congrats.

Speaking of bikes, I do have a Zinn book which is great for helping me to figure out how to do things.  But, do you guys take your bike to the shop for like a spring tune up or something?  I know that sounds weird, but I don't know if the cables and brake pads and such are good.  How long do they last?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Karen
2010-04-23 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2812272

User image

Regular
gadgetlaw - 2010-04-23 11:45 AM

Speaking of bikes, I do have a Zinn book which is great for helping me to figure out how to do things.  But, do you guys take your bike to the shop for like a spring tune up or something?  I know that sounds weird, but I don't know if the cables and brake pads and such are good.  How long do they last?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Karen

My husband is a bike mechanic, so I have my very own shop at home.  Not much help, I know.  Before I had him, though, and I was doing a LOT of riding, I would take my bike into the shop every spring for a tune up.  Like clockwork.  And the earlier the better as they start getting a wait closer to summer.
2010-04-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2812298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I agree with Kerry.  Take it into the shop for a tune-up.  They can clean it and check everything over to make sure it is all working properly/efficiently.  It doesn't cost too much and is worth the investment in the long-run.
2010-04-23 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2811925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Emily -  I am not sure if I would put on bike shorts over a wet swimsuit. It could be hard to pull on and the thick padding in bike shorts does absorb a lot of water.  For my first sprint I did the swim and bike in jammers.  I put on a shirt in T1. I threw on shorts over my jammers in T2.  Now I race in tri bottoms for the entire time and a tighter shirt for the bike and run.  Maybe try it at home first and see how hard things are to put on when your swim suit is wet?  Just a thought.
2010-04-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2812298

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Good luck and have fun, Emily!!

2010-04-23 2:15 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I have a $30ish credit at Performance Bikes, so maybe I'll get over there this weekend and see if they have a pair of tri shorts on sale. I'm going to be in at least 3 tris this year, so I might as well bite the bullet and get a pair. My suit is a pain in the butt to get into and out of, so that's why I was thinking of keeping it on.
2010-04-23 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I would think wearing a suit under the shorts would lead to some chafing.  Also, if I tried it I know I'd end up with a mega-wedgie.
2010-04-23 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Hi Yanti, Lynn and Manatees!

I missed out on mentor sign ups this year....crazy busy on the ranch right now.   Wanted to say a BIG Hello!!!    I was a Manatee last year during my first tri season and these ladies are INCREDIBLE! 

Can I stop by now and then to say HI?

Sharie

p.s  Yanti you look FAB on your avatar!!!   Hope life has settled down some...keeping you in my prayers!
2010-04-23 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2810196

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-04-22 11:49 AM That's great that you both can race on the same weekend Quincy.  I have heard good things about Bigfoot and have considered doing it myself. Maybe I will look into it too if it's not sold out. I think someone in my office did it last year and got a nice tri bag for their "goodie bag." Maybe I'll ask them about it too.  I am doing two 5ks at the end of May to start my official running/tri season. But at least 1 June and 1 July race would be good before my busy August

Check out their website...the race schwag is a cycling jersey...I think it's pretty cool...I've had mixed luck with their goody bags...last year's bucktown 5k sweatshirt simply did not fit anyone right, and the hot chocolate 15K windbreaker is weird too, but DH likes his briefcase (?!?) from this years bucktown 5k so I am hopeful for the jersey...

Let me know if you sign up...there's a bunch of bt'ers doing the race, maybe we can meet up for chow afterwards or something...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60