BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-14 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Congrats on the bike!!

As was said above, take it slow, and have fun!

2011-01-14 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3298862

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mike_D - 2011-01-14 6:01 AM Congrats on the bike!!

As was said above, take it slow, and have fun!

Thanks Mike!  I will take it easy and enjoy.

I hope you have an excellent Friday!  Smile

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-14 7:06 PM
2011-01-14 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Well I'm hoping for a long bike ride tomorrow.  For those that are indoors.  Here is a workout with your bike training.  I did this in my HIT class last night.  Have a good weekend!!!!

Spin 50 to 110 rpm.  Increase 5 rpm every minute.  Use easiest gear.
Spin 70 to 130 rpm.  Increase 5 rpm every 30 seconds.  Easiest gear.
Spin 70 to 140 rpm.  Increase 5 rpm every 15 seconds.  Easiest gear.

ILT (Individual leg training/torture)50-60 rpm.  3 minutes.  Moderate gear.
ILT 80 rpm.  3 minutes.  Easy gear.
ILT 50-60 rpm.  3 minutes.  Slightly harder moderate gear.

Standing climbing tempo.  50-60 rpm.  15 minutes.  Big gear.
HR increasing to about 75% of max at the end of the standing.

Spin 5 minutes 100+ rpm.  Easiest gear.

Rest 1 minute between each exercise on a new line.
Rest 2 minutes between each exercise group (paragraphs)
Rest 3 minutes between individual and group exercises when your heart rate gets to 80+% max.

2011-01-14 11:13 AM

User image

Athens, GA

Hello I am back! We got 8.8 inches of snow on Sunday PM/ Monday AM, then 3-4 inches of rain on top of that.  Then no temps above freezing for a few days. Plus Athens has no plows (why would they) so no road clearing of any kind.  I love at the bottom of a hill that is all in shade, so walking was the only way out for a few days. Work opened back up at noon on Thursday and late again today. As you might imagine I have not been able to get much of a workout in these pat few days. I did do some long walks around town to just get out and play in the snow. I think I am one of the few people here that was happy/had the appropriate cloths/ and had a good time. Nothing quite like being paid for work when there is no work. Plus I got to do some stuff from home via the internet in my sweatpants, wowo!

So I am back to a somewhat normal schedule, so this may be kind of long as I catch up on the comments.

Dan- Welcome to the group

Itzia –Actually I do not work from home officially, but the power stayed on so I did do some work so as not to be too slammed when we went back. Your bike looks sweet, congrats, what color did you decide on?

MikeD- How bad was the storm for you?  Some of my family in RI and Wenham got pretty slammed, 12+ up in NH as well. How are you likeing the trainer? I think I want one, but do not want to just have it sit there, but after this storm maybe it is time to bit the bullet and get one…..

Marcus- yes the storm was quite bad. Some of the roads are just ice rinks parading as roads at this point. Low gears are your friends.

Alex- Glad you are getting to ramp it back up, WoWo

Dan- Hope the surgery went well and that you are having a fun time as nurse!

So here is my question of the day for the group. I have access to some amazing facilities, being that I work for UGA, and our athletics, well it is important here in the SEC. That combined with some money from the students and the Olympics when there were here, well I am quite spoiled I think. (On the flip side working for the state does not pay much).  However if I had any reason to complain it would be to say that all they have for indoor cycles are LifeFitness and a few Expresso.net bikes. There are no spin bikes out on the floor. BUT they do have spin classes. How do you guys feel about spin classes? I would have to drop about $100 for the semester, but that would give me access to about 13 classes a week that are not during work hours. Now I have never taken a spin class. I don’t get out on the road much in the winter, not due to the cold, but lack of daylight hours. So do you guys think a spin class would be better than just time logged on a regular fitness bike? Or to break up the monotony?

Thanks and I will try to not be gone so long anymore……

2011-01-14 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Itzia, thanks for asking, my wife is getting much better, learning to walk again and negotiate stairs, hoping to come home tonight.Don't worry about failing in anyones eyes, do what you feel is right for you and your family! The only failure is not attempting to do the things we want!. I on the other hand am going stir crazy, I need to get out and do some form of exercise! Hopefully tomorrow I will get out for a run or at least some snow shoeing!
2011-01-14 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3299583

User image

Veteran
Ails - I thinking spin class are one of the best thing you can do to better your biking (beside riding outside) and overall conditioning.  Its 10x better than riding a fitness bike for an hour.  For me I like the group setting and if you get a good instructor.  They can motivate the group to push hard.  I had some of my best workout in the spin class.  Come spring time, you'll be much stronger when you get on your bike. 

2011-01-14 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Sterling -- That workout sounds like torture!!!!
2011-01-14 5:21 PM

Veteran
I like the spin classes because they are easier to adjust as far as tension and they motivate you to continously pedal at a high rate which is something I have a hard time doing on the road. So, they are the next best thing to the real thing.

As far as cost, you have to figure each session on average is 3-3.50 depending on where you go.( I found that to be standard.) So figure from that whether its worth it or not.

We had a couple inches here in Michigan and are expecting 1-3 tonight. Should be fun tomorrow morning racing in the 5k. Winter hasn't been to rough here, yet.

Go Pats!
2011-01-14 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3299599

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mountaindan - 2011-01-14 11:17 AM Itzia, thanks for asking, my wife is getting much better, learning to walk again and negotiate stairs, hoping to come home tonight.Don't worry about failing in anyones eyes, do what you feel is right for you and your family! The only failure is not attempting to do the things we want!. I on the other hand am going stir crazy, I need to get out and do some form of exercise! Hopefully tomorrow I will get out for a run or at least some snow shoeing!

Dan,

Thank you for your wise and kind words.

It's good to know that your wife is improving.  There must be so much to do at home and you playing nurse… I was at the other end not long ago.  I can understand your frustration at not being able to do your own thing.  But be patient, because it most probably will last for a few more weeks. I hope you manage to find at least a few minutes each day for yourself so that you keep your spirits up.

Have a nice weekend!  Smile

2011-01-14 7:44 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been on the site in a few days. I'm looking to do a long bike ride tomorrow and possibly one on Sunday. My trainer should be coming in the mail in a few days, so hopefully I can put in some sessions in the evenings. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2011-01-15 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Hello all,
just did the first 32 km of the Ironman Lake Placid on the computrainer this morning ! Challenging but very nice to do a group ride at my club when it's snowing outside
Just bought aerobars and a new saddle as well for my bike. Can't wait to put these on my bike and to try them
Tomorrow, a nice little run

Have a good week end all ! 

2011-01-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3297423

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
utahrunner - 2011-01-13 1:10 PM Marcus- most swimmers will have a weak side.  I notice on your swim log that you do catch up drill. Catch up drill are good drill to  work on.  You actually can watch & feel your arm coming out of the water with a high elbow, your  fingers bearly above the water.  Seeing your finger & arm slice threw the water as it enters into the water and feeling your hand & arm pulling you threw the water.  On your breathing without see you swim.  I want to say just swim more.  Like you said with runnning you fix it by breathing back into a rhythm (when I'm running I take two short inhale & one long exhale).  As you swim more your body will get use to exhaling/inhaling differently than when your running or biking.  Pretty soon your be able to control your breathing.  I dont know if you breath one side only or both side, but here is a set I do to help my breathing.
4 x 2 5.  first 25 breath every two stroke, second 25 breath every third stroke, third 25 every fouth stroke, last 25 every fifth stroke.  Your not going fast, it should be a easy to moderate swim, your controling your breath.  I would rest for 10-15 after each 25. 

Bill - I don't know about getting sponsorship without being a pro triathlete.  One way I was able to get discount on races, clothing, shoe, gym membership, bike equipments, wet suit & etc. Joining my local tri club with a small fee.  I got tons of discount to all of the things I mention.  Also you get to know everyone in your area who are triathlete as well training groups for open water swim, long bike rides & run workouts - this help alot as these workout are boring & can be dangerous and maybe meeting someone who have some connection to other things as well as getting alot of informaton about race events and things you need to do triathlon (you still get alot of inform here as well). 

Thanks for the tip Sterling.  I will give the breathing drill a go. 
2011-01-15 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3298554

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
itziaol - 2011-01-13 9:38 PM

I paid for my bike today.  I may get it next week or maybe in a few weeks’ time.   Yet, I’m facing a dilemma.  Training with the team is expensive not only because of their annual fee and uniform, but because the place they swim at is a nice gym and there is also a fee for each bike trip.  The reason is that a van takes the team to where the ride will take place and then follows the platoon.  That is important for many reasons you must already be familiar with, but in Mexico security is a big issue.  I couldn’t possibly train on my own.  But can I afford this?  Will I be able to keep up?  Will my ankle improve?  Will I have the drive needed to train 3 rides, 3 runs and 5 swims as the coach demands?  Will I be able to cope with everything I have to do i.e. work, children, house?  Many eyes are on me… I’m afraid to fail, I’m afraid to disappoint.

Congratulations on the bike. 

Those are some tough questions and decisions..like others have said go at your own pace..
2011-01-15 6:58 PM

Ok, I hope I’m doing this right. Thanks for your warm welcome.

NAME: Dan Navarro

STORY: I’m a 47 year-old who’s never participated in a triathlon, but always have wanted to.  I’m more of a runner. I started running seriously four years ago when my cholesterol was out of control and needed to run to get it back on line. Swimming has never been my thing, but I’m ok in biking.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, father of three, and grandpa of one 2-year old grandson.

CURRENT TRAINING: I need to get back on the road. My training slowed down due to the cold winter and icy sidewalks/roads. Need to get back in the swimming pool again.

2010 RACES:  I ran my first 10K in my life. Finished 4th in my age category, and 19th of 400 overall runners. Running is my thing.

2011 RACES: Havent signed up for any, but I’m committed to running my first triathlon this year

WEIGHTLOSS:  Right before the Holidays I was were I needed to be, yet gained 6-7 lbs I need to lose. I tend to lose weight rather easily thru exercising.

WHAT WILL MAKE A GOOD MENTEE:  I listen. I’m committed. I’m a fast learner and very competitive. I’m doing this for my health.

2011-01-15 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3299583

Thanks Ail. I'm excited to join the team!
2011-01-15 7:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Sterling - I don’t understand much of the training but I agree with Curt, it does look like torture!  You must be very good at spinning.

Ails – It's nice to have you back!  I chose the Satin Cristal Pearl, I just hope they do bring me that one.

Chris – I hope the race went well today!  Go Steelers!

Mike – How is your arm?

Jackie - I’m glad that you are back!

Alex - That computrainer sounds great.  Could you explain what it is? 

Marcus – Thanks!  I will do.

DN – I was beginning to think you had disappeared.  Glad to see that you posted your bio.  Have you had a look at the BT training plans?  One may suit you.

There’s a new video about fitness and leanness.  It’s both very interesting and compatible with the diet I’m doing because it’s based on the idea that we should balance protein, carbohydrates and fat in every meal.  This makes the body seek for stored fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates in the bloodstream and muscles. Fat is to carbs as fuel, like turbosine is to gasoline. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1145

I’ve decided to join the Aspid triathlon team.  I mean, when you have the best team in the country just down the road and you need someone to train with, you just have to join!  I'd be too silly not to.   But I must to be clear about my priorities.  I appreciate the head coach’s enthusiasm, no wonder he has 4 national champions, but he’ll have to be patient with me.  Besides, I will obviously be training with team B. LOL  Thank you all for your good advice!  Smile

Have an excellent weekend!  Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-15 8:27 PM

2011-01-15 8:09 PM

Veteran
Thanks Itzia. I was pretty pleased. I finished 3rd in my division and missed my secondary goal by 44 sec. We had 2-3 inches of snow last night (this morning) so it made running fun. (I don't want to hear it from you New Englanders, we get our share of snow too. lol)

Hope everyone is having a productive weekend.

Stay Healthy,
Chris
2011-01-16 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Itzia -- It's always good to formalize training.  And it's also always good to be around folks that are stronger athletes / more experienced.  The higher level of competition forces you to raise your game.  Just be sure to balance the hard work with the enjoyment of the experience.

Likely going to take an "off" day today.  We're visiting family and then have to take my daughter back to the University.

Hope everyone has a great day training or relaxing.
2011-01-16 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I made it through my crazy time.  Just in case anyone was wondering, I am responsible for getting all the investment performance on 401k statements and employer websites, and it has to get done in a certain amount of time.  So, the 2 weeks after the end of the quarter are absolutely nuts for me.  Nothing exciting, but it's a job.  

Anyway, I am thrilled to see that you guys have been holding on without me.  I will follow up with each of you guys in the next day or so.  I only have a limited time before the Patriots game today, I do have priorities.  I did manage to get a workout in yesterday.  I am disappointed to say that I almost gained all my pre IM training weight back.  I can tell you that you lose it quickly when you sit on your butt for 2 months.  Time to get back at it. 

Keep up the good work everyone.

Have a great weekend. 

2011-01-16 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Josh, good to see you survived - welcome back.

I must confess to all I have had a week of  a big fat do nothing. Storms/electrical outages/family get aways, have left me with zero workouts since last Tuesday. I DO plan on getting my long run in tomorrow, and resuming normal schedule this week. I guess I'm a bit bummed about it since the first week of january was a great one for me. C'est la vie. 6 days won't kill me, althought the volume of really tasty food i've consumed the past few days has certainly tried

Go Pats!!!
2011-01-16 6:55 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Itzia- Thanks for the video link. Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I did a 36 mile ride Sat and a 60 mile ride today. I know, I know, I'll stop talking about it to everyone who is buried in several feet of snow and can only do the trainer. But, I'm really luck to ride with a group that has been helping me out. They're not a formal riding group, but just a group of friends who have been riding for years who let a beginner like me tag along (I used to work with one of the guys in the group and when he heard I was doing a tri, he dragged me out to Red Rock). I'm trying to focus on my cycling this year, and I'm pretty happy with the improvements I've been seeing so far. Although, I will tell you that I was not a happy camper around mile 45 when I was hurting and all I could see was seemingly endless climbing in front of me. Watching a football game is sounding better and better. Why do I cycle again?

2011-01-16 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3303306

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
jpbis26 - 2011-01-16 6:55 PM Itzia- Thanks for the video link. Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I did a 36 mile ride Sat and a 60 mile ride today. I know, I know, I'll stop talking about it to everyone who is buried in several feet of snow and can only do the trainer. But, I'm really luck to ride with a group that has been helping me out. They're not a formal riding group, but just a group of friends who have been riding for years who let a beginner like me tag along (I used to work with one of the guys in the group and when he heard I was doing a tri, he dragged me out to Red Rock). I'm trying to focus on my cycling this year, and I'm pretty happy with the improvements I've been seeing so far. Although, I will tell you that I was not a happy camper around mile 45 when I was hurting and all I could see was seemingly endless climbing in front of me. Watching a football game is sounding better and better. Why do I cycle again?

Not the one I just watched....

Your rides sound awesome! I need to get moving on my bike (well, as much as I can "move" on a trainer)
2011-01-17 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

As if I wasn't in a funk already, that game put me over the top.  I try to keep the emotions of pro sports on an even keel, but it's hard to living around here.  It's in our blood.  It's a good thing we win around here.  

I am home with the kids today.  I will hopefully get some free time today to catch up on some things, then get to the gym later tonight when the misses comes home.  

Have a great week. 

2011-01-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3302091

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
crlarner - 2011-01-15 9:09 PM Thanks Itzia. I was pretty pleased. I finished 3rd in my division and missed my secondary goal by 44 sec. We had 2-3 inches of snow last night (this morning) so it made running fun. (I don't want to hear it from you New Englanders, we get our share of snow too. lol)

Hope everyone is having a productive weekend.

Stay Healthy,
Chris

Well done Chris!! 
2011-01-17 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3303306

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
jpbis26 - 2011-01-16 7:55 PM Itzia- Thanks for the video link. Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to watching it.

That is some serious riding...well done jackie! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38