BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-06 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3282040

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
_Deb_ - 2011-01-06 11:33 AM Since we're talking about nutrition and gels, at what point do you all find you need them?  I haven't used them at all yet, but the longest I've run for at this point has been about 1.5 hours.  I feel like that is borderline for not refueling while running.  When I go longer, I'm sure I should start thinking about it.

Also, what are your favourite brands and flavours?  I know that will be a personal thing, but I'm still interested in hearing preferences.

On my long bike rides I find that if I don't take any nutrition with me that I get fatigued right around the 2 hour mark depending on how tired I am that day.

I don't usually use Gu, but if I do, I like the "just plain" or orange.  I use Infinit pretty much exclusively now.  It's great because you can mix it as thick or strong as you want and never seems to go bad.  I think they have a 50% deal once a year.

2011-01-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
How's that leg feeling Deb???
2011-01-06 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3282094

User image

Regular
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-06 9:46 AM How's that leg feeling Deb???

Leg feels totally normal today.  And, that's considering I ran on it yesterday.    I probably jumped the gun in thinking it was more then post race aches, but it was a new and different pain, so I was concerned.  A couple more years of doing this, and hopefully I'll get better at knowing when to worry and when not to.

It's a rest day for me today and I'm already feeling kind of squirrely because of it.  I've become a fast addict to this thing and it keeps me balanced.  Taking days off makes me cranky, even though I know I have to.
2011-01-06 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3282314

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
_Deb_ - 2011-01-06 12:46 PM

Leg feels totally normal today.  And, that's considering I ran on it yesterday.    I probably jumped the gun in thinking it was more then post race aches, but it was a new and different pain, so I was concerned.  A couple more years of doing this, and hopefully I'll get better at knowing when to worry and when not to.

It's a rest day for me today and I'm already feeling kind of squirrely because of it.  I've become a fast addict to this thing and it keeps me balanced.  Taking days off makes me cranky, even though I know I have to.

that's great to hear!  and yes, you have to take days off.  So many people think they need to train more than they actually do.  So many people also rest incorrectly.  The body is an organic machine.  It's gotta heal.
2011-01-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3282089

User image

Champion
General nutrition rules (again this is general, paces/ weights/conditions all apply).

For the run. Assuming i've eaten normally, i wont eat anything on runs under 1:30/ 13mi.
over 1:30 it will depend on how much i've had that day/how hard i'm going. up to 2hr 1 gel if i need it.

Water is the same, unless its HOT out, i'm good up to 1:30 without anything, past that i can get to 2hr but i'd like to hit a drink stop if i can.

Biking,

up to 2hr nothing but water/electrolytes unless i'm doing another 2+ hour workout or i missed a meal.

2-3 hour normally 150-200 an hour.

over 3hours i move to race specific nutrition which for me is around 250-300 cal per hour.

If workouts are race paced nutrition starts a bit sooner.

As far as personal favorites:

Gels:

GU: pretty much any flavor, with tri berry, orange, jet blackberry, and vanilla being the best to me.
Hammer: raspberry, espresso, apple cinnamon
Powergel: NO WAY IN HE**
Cliff: most of the berry/fruit ones
some random others will work too, and if need be i can take almost anything.

Shots/blocks/chomps:

GU: blueberry pomagranet or apple cranberry
Cliff: black cherry
Powerbar: cola flavored (these are amazing)

Bars:

Cliff: (pick a flavor you like, they have tons)
Powerbar: Again, pick a flavor and style, they have a lot, and most are good. I like the fruit smoothie ones and the vanilla yougart ones
Snickers: marathon bars are best

Drinks:

Hammer: HEED (my drink of choice)
Outlast: vanilla
Nuun: Lemon-lime, citrus, tri-berry (electrolytes only).

Outside of those though i've used/can use most anything, its more a matter of finding what you can stomach at the intensities/temps you'll be racing at. Some things that taste goodwhen cold are AWFUL 3 hours into a ride and in 90 degree heat.
2011-01-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3282314

User image

Champion
_Deb_ - 2011-01-06 10:46 AM

You did the right thing though, and it's somthing i tell the kids every season:

If something hurts, tell me, if its nothing then we wasted 2 minutes talking about it, but if its an injury we can save days/weeks of time off later. Its better to check into it and have it be nothing than train through it and make it worse.

2011-01-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3282089

User image

I know Jon mentioned he relys on Infinit.  Until today, when I looked it up, I had no idea it was a custom nutrition mix.  I always thought it was something like Heed, and wondered why I could never find it at stores or at online shops.  I read so many race reports about how people use it, so it boggled my mind that I couldn't easily find it on the shelf.

So anyway...what's your experience with it?  I went to their website and they have a pretty cool survey to determine what mix is best for you.  And at roughly $2 per serving (about 250-300 calories) it's about the same price or cheaper than gels.

How did you determine what the right mix is for you?  I was thinking about trying a super concentrated mix so I could fit maybe 350-400 calories in one bottle, and just take small sips that I could chase with a separate water bottle.

Any flavor recommendations?  Is there a cheaper way to buy it than from their website?

Thanks

Edited by tri808 2011-01-06 2:29 PM
2011-01-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3282683

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
The cost per calorie is an interesting way of looking at it.  I didn't know that Infiit was available any place other than their website.  I have not tried it because I have had some problems with liquid calories in the past but I've been told that this formula is easily tolerated.

I know that I need to figure out something before the Gator Half at the end of March. 

A few weeks before the Beach2Battleship half, I thought that I had my nutrition nailed down.  I know what to eat for an Oly.  I know what to eat for a 100k.  I know what to eat for a half marathon.  Golden right.  Then I realized that adding them all up was not at all the same thing as doing them individually.  I freaked out.  I managed to get through it OK but I felt like I was muddling through more than that I had a good plan.  I also ended up eating what felt like a ton on the bike.  I'd like to revisit a nutrition plan for an HIM.
2011-01-06 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3282040

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

_Deb_ - 2011-01-06 11:33 AM Since we're talking about nutrition and gels, at what point do you all find you need them?  I haven't used them at all yet, but the longest I've run for at this point has been about 1.5 hours.  I feel like that is borderline for not refueling while running.  When I go longer, I'm sure I should start thinking about it.

Also, what are your favourite brands and flavours?  I know that will be a personal thing, but I'm still interested in hearing preferences.

Gu Espresso Love!!!!

2011-01-06 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3281963

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

inmyelement - 2011-01-06 11:13 AM

momo - 2011-01-06 9:46 AM
inmyelement - 2011-01-05 9:15 AM Anybody have any cures for chlorine rash?  I though I was just having really dry skin on my back from the chlorine but when my wife was putting lotion on my back she said it was covered in little red bumps.  Lotion and rash made for a very painful experience.  Seems to be a lot of solutions with mixed reviews online.  Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.
i use to have that problem.. I started to rinse off really well after swimming. rubbing skin with warm water. then i when i get home i shower.. i use thick lotions like coco butter or luberiderm . not so bad anymore.

I'm doing something similar and so far it seems to be helping some.  Before I swim I take a shower with soap and shampoo.  Then swim and another shower with soap/shampoo.  Then I lotion up.  I have all kinds of lotions for sensitive skin for various different body parts.  I have started using Olay soap.  I have very sensitive skin so this swimming isn't helping at all.  I still plan on seeing a Dermatologist but this is getting my by until then. 

I know with my own skin sensitivities, there seems to be a compounding effect wherein, once I have a reaction I start to have really bad responses to things that might not normally cause an issue.  So, I'm worried that using so much soap and shampoo both before and after your swim might just lead to more irritation.  I always make sure to rinse off well before swimming to saturate my skin and hair so they won't absorb as much chemistry.  Then, I use Dove soap and a shampoo specifically designed to remove chlorine.  My dermatologist has told me always to use "cream" rather than "lotion", because it is less likely to irritate.  Also, I wonder if it might help to apply a barrier to your skin prior to swimming--like Aquaphor.  Perhaps you might consider eliminating fabric softener from at least your shirts and sheets--that stuff can be really irritating.

I hope you get relief soon.

2011-01-06 3:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

Did my first-ever cycling threshold test today.  I hereby pronounce such tests to be decidedly un-fun.

2011-01-06 3:46 PM

User image

Champion
Infinit i think can only be had through their website. I've used it at a few races and on my own/racing for one summer.

I started with the heat/hot weather mix and adjusted my own mix as i needed. After using it, along with some other drinks, I personally didn't see much of a change aside from the cost (ie almost every energy drink ive ever used preformed about the same).

I can get heed MUCH cheaper and like the taste so no issues.

It is nice in that you can sorta make your own, but in the end outside of the totals in the drink most of these drinks are made from the same thing, so many are no better than the next.

2011-01-06 5:03 PM

Albany, NY
no training today... my legs are killing me and even my upper body abit.  Will be back at it tomorrow.  As far as nutrition goes, I am abit different than everyone else because I am a type I diabetic.  On a day when I start training with a normal blood sugar level, I can go about an hour running without any nutrition, 1.5 hours on the bike and swim for 45 minutes without anything.  I think I tend to take in abit too much some of the time as I try to protect myself against problems later (low sugar, etc..) especially during races.  I use mostly somewhat watered down gatorade and shot blocks
2011-01-06 5:07 PM

Albany, NY
One other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!
2011-01-06 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3283144

User image

Regular
Augusta
msrevi - 2011-01-06 5:07 PMOne other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!

Holy Triple Post batman!  Internet out here stinks...takes a while to load a page, and I get impatient.  So when I hit enter before it's completely finished loading, it submits the reply....before I can type anything.  lol  Hence the Triple Trouble Posts here.

Edited by Dagwoodz 2011-01-06 5:30 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta
msrevi - 2011-01-06 5:07 PMOne other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!

Double post

Edited by Dagwoodz 2011-01-06 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta
msrevi - 2011-01-06 5:07 PM One other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!

You should ask the resident tech geek on the board, dcrainmaker.  He routinely does reviews of products which are extremely detailed and oriented towards the multisport/endurance athlete.  Not sure if he's done one on the Finis Swimsense yet.  I know he was saying in one of the threads how he was planning on getting one, and was GOING to write a review. 

I'm sure if you sent him a quick PM asking if he's had time to use it and review it, he'll let you know a quick rundown.  I know that any techie gadget that I'm getting in the future I'm going to bounce my ideas off of his reviews before I really get down to deciding anything, they're that thourough.

Edited by Dagwoodz 2011-01-06 5:27 PM
2011-01-06 6:26 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-01-06 2:53 PM

I know Jon mentioned he relys on Infinit.  Until today, when I looked it up, I had no idea it was a custom nutrition mix.  I always thought it was something like Heed, and wondered why I could never find it at stores or at online shops.  I read so many race reports about how people use it, so it boggled my mind that I couldn't easily find it on the shelf.

So anyway...what's your experience with it?  I went to their website and they have a pretty cool survey to determine what mix is best for you.  And at roughly $2 per serving (about 250-300 calories) it's about the same price or cheaper than gels.

How did you determine what the right mix is for you?  I was thinking about trying a super concentrated mix so I could fit maybe 350-400 calories in one bottle, and just take small sips that I could chase with a separate water bottle.

Any flavor recommendations?  Is there a cheaper way to buy it than from their website?

Thanks

I would agree with Newbz previous post....but....here's my opinion anyway:  I have been using it for two  seasons.  I only use it on long rides and runs.  The best thing you can do is schedule a phone interview with them.  They will call you and work out your formula over the phone.  They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee also.  I had them send me a new mix three times until they got it right.  It isn't too costly because I figured out how much I need and buy it during their 50% off sale.  Basically becomes much cheaper right there.  I like it a lot and haven't had any problems with it.
2011-01-06 7:08 PM

User image

Jonathan,

Did they just send you an individual packet to try until you liked it...or did you have to keep sending the whole package you ordered back to them and request a new one?  I'm too lazy to do the latter.

Do you recall when this 50% sale usually occurs?

2011-01-06 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3283334

User image

Champion
tri808 - 2011-01-06 6:08 PM

Jonathan,

Did they just send you an individual packet to try until you liked it...or did you have to keep sending the whole package you ordered back to them and request a new one?  I'm too lazy to do the latter.

Do you recall when this 50% sale usually occurs?

follow over on ST, they pop up now and again.

I like i said used the heat mix and just added caffiene and cal to it. I knew what i wanted vs what was in it.

I'm not sure how the refund/return stuff works, but if you do go with them, and dont buy stock, its worth just calling them. Mike, the owner is a great guy and will help you.

2011-01-06 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
So, I'm planning on doing an early morning run tomorrow.  I ran early all the time in the summer, but I haven't done it since it's gotten cold out.  It won't be any colder then it's been a lot of the time during my daytime runs lately.  Do I have it in me?  If I wimp out on it, I'll have to do it in the evening after my husband is home, and then I'll do it at the track...

2011-01-06 8:52 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm getting rid of a powertap Pro+ on a DT swiss rim for $675 shipped if anyone is interested.  
2011-01-06 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3282832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
jtrezza - 2011-01-06 4:56 PM

Gu Espresso Love!!!!

x2

I also like chocolate and tri berry, but defintely like the Espresso Love the best.  What does the "just lain" taste like?  I saw it one day and didn't know what to expect of "plain" gel...
2011-01-06 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I just found a pair of used SPD pedals (shimano PD-M520), which will be my first clipless pedals.  Any reccomendations on spd shoes?
2011-01-06 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3278989

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
silentcs42 - 2011-01-05 8:26 AM Still running.  I'm really enjoying this run every day approach.  I think I'll start working the bike in here slowly.

Since a buddy of mine decided to do a local race instead of Door County (we were going to do it together) my schedule got cleared.  I think I'm going to do Rhode Island 70.3 and visit my dad in RI at the same time.  Destination race for me!

I have family out in RI as well as was thinking about doing this race too (I have heard great things about the race as long as you don't mind the split transition) but couldn't make it last year, and I have a wedding that I will be standing up in this year here in Wisconsin the day before. However, I did find a small sprint triathlon about 10 miles away from the site of the reception the following morning...I may just give that one a shot! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57