of 17

2011-05-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Hi Everyone,

Brett- Congrats on not letting anything hold you back!!! That will be an awesome race for you! I do not have any tips about clipless, but can't wait to hear your first oops! story. Oh not that I want you to fall but it is inevitable!Wink

Sean, man I hope you feel better and at least it is a taper week right? Trying to stay positive for you, and maybe your competition is under the weather too! Good Luck!

Well this week is CRAZY and I am making good use of Roy's signature My father-in-law is getting married, there is also a Welcome Home party, and a 4yr old Bday party all I am attending and making Cut Out decorated Sugar Cookies. Champagne glasses-wedding, Yellow Ribbon-Welcome home, #4 cookies-bday, Whew! Anyway, I have been getting in some Boot Camps and Strength Training won't be able to swim until maybe tomorrow night! Oh well, at least I doing something.

Happy Training Everyone!!!!

Courtney

2011-05-11 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3493843

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

tri/tbay - 2011-05-11 2:11 PM Alright last one for the day, ran the Mayfaire 5k on Saturday night. Felt I would have a good opportunity to get a best time. Well came withing 8 seconds(23:26) of an all time best time, but I did get an event best time by about 14 seconds. This is a tough 5K as 5ks go. It is a bit hilly and you can push way out of your red line zone real easy, but based on my run time I think maybe I'm getting close to breaking 22 min. on a flat 5K. So maybe I'll get the opportunity to do one this summer.

I got a little down time for this week and then I'll get back to it for a Father's Day sprint in Sebring.

Congrats Roy! Shoot I would be happy breaking 25 mins

2011-05-12 8:20 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Roy -

Thank you very much for your advice. I got a little chuckle about your bumper sticker comment. I pretty much knew it that my problem with the aero bars was the angle... you are right I can not get my hips open up enough to get totally comfortable in the aero position.

I am going to play the 1/2 iron by ear and decide at the last minute. I am pretty sure right now I will do at least the aquavelo, and if I can get up to 10 miles running in the next 30, then I will do it. Thanks for the motivation.

This weekend is my first race of the season. A hometown sprint - should be a fantastic event and I am totally psyched to get out there.... its the trirock series and should be a good party after the race.

Brett - good luck this weekend. Kick some butt.

Courtney, good luck with the rest of your week. I want one of those cookies.

2011-05-12 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Good Luck to you Vin! Can't wait to hear all about it! I will post the Pics of the cookies :0) Never tried shpping them, I guess there is a first time for everything!:0)
2011-05-13 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Okay here are the ones I have finished so far. Looks like I get to go riding in the morning, my first group ride. Downtown to the beaches and back.  Wish me luck :0)

(Celeste's Cookies.jpg)

(Yellow Ribbon Cookies.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Celeste's Cookies.jpg (64KB - 7 downloads)
Yellow Ribbon Cookies.jpg (61KB - 8 downloads)
2011-05-14 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

Courtney,

Those cookies look awesome!  I am hungry just looking at them.  Sounds like you have a very busy weekend ahead of you.

I was able to go on a 16.1 mile ride this morning.  Perfect weather for the ride.  No wind and temp in the low/mid 60's.  I was able to ride with two other friends which is a plus.  Pushed the pace a little for me and worked in some bursts holding a 20 mph speed during those short bursts.  Overall averaged 15 mph for the distance covered in 1:05:15.  We had a max speed of 37 mph on a hill.  Fun to get low on the bars and drive down the hill.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Next Saturday is the Gladiator 5K for me.  Time to get dirty and have some fun.  I will post a few pictures (if we get some taken) after the race.

2011-05-14 12:11 PM

Courtney,

Awesome looking cookies!!  I have a six y/o, Matthew, and he would flip if he had that kind of birthday surprise!  I'm going to show my wife your handiwork and I bet Matthew will get something cool like that for his 7th birthday.

Roy and Vin -- I really appreciate the discussion about the Tri bike vs. the road bike.  I have a road bike with no aero bars.  Is it a mistake to add aero bars to the road bike?  I've been thinking about if for a year now and haven't pulled the trigger.  I welcome your recommendations.

Rode one of my regular bike routes around a lake this morning and finally broke an hour for the 17.6 mile ride (sill didn't break 18 mph -- 17.97!).  Of course, the second run leg of the bike-run brick suffered, but I still made it around the lake in under an hour!!   Tough to get the swims in these days -- still too cold for the pool out back and hard to break away from work to hit the local pool   Hopefully, the water will warm up soon.

Happy training all!

Mike

2011-05-15 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Thanks Brett & Mike!

I went on my first Group ride Saturday and it went well. It was the farthest I have been so far. We did 35 miles and at one point I looked down at my computer and it said 25mph! What???? Never been that speed either had to be the drafting, we kept it between 20-23 mph. I usually don't break 18-19 mph.  I didn't get dropped until after the 2nd bridge to Ft. Desoto but a buddy of mine said he and his friend were turning around at the flagpole if I wanted to head back with them, so I did. All in all a great ride and everyone was extremely nice and welcoming!

Okay here are the last set of cookies for this weekend!

Hope everyone has a Great Sunday!!!!

(Wedding Hearts.jpg)

(snake cookies 1.jpg)

(Celeste's Tiara Cookies.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Wedding Hearts.jpg (56KB - 4 downloads)
snake cookies 1.jpg (7KB - 5 downloads)
Celeste's Tiara Cookies.jpg (66KB - 5 downloads)
2011-05-16 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Wow those cookies look great.  I could eat about a dozen today...

Well I am now officially 1:1 for HIMs that end without a concussion

Florida 70.3 official times:

00:42:1802:58:4002:35:0606:27:38

My wife was just under an hour behind me.  She had a hard time on the bike (we think lack of nutrition) that hurt her for the run as well.  We both learned a lot in prep for IMCdA.

I went out a little too hard on the bike and paid for it on the run.  Could not get a good pace on the first 1-1/2 laps.  My run finally came together on lap 3 (of course).  Oh BTW the coke at the aid stations is like crack.  Should have tried it on the first lap

This was my first time here so I do not know if the run course changed (a few people said it had) but I thought it was just fine.  A little off-roading (maybe a mile or so per lap) but the grass was short and the course was scenic.  I loved the tails back behind the wilderness lodge.  Plenty of aid stations and they doid not run out of anything.

I did think the swim was long however based on my and my wife's times (I'm not that slow on the swim)

Was a bit scary there setting up in the AM with the lightning and rain but it made for a pretty nice day overall.  The first lap of the run was hot but it clouded up after that and the final 2 were pretty good.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-05-16 3:25 PM
2011-05-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3502322

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
TriRSquared - 2011-05-16 4:24 PM

Wow those cookies look great.  I could eat about a dozen today...

Well I am now officially 1:1 for HIMs that end without a concussion

Florida 70.3 official times:

00:42:1802:58:4002:35:0606:27:38

My wife was just under an hour behind me.  She had a hard time on the bike (we think lack of nutrition) that hurt her for the run as well.  We both learned a lot in prep for IMCdA.

I went out a little too hard on the bike and paid for it on the run.  Could not get a good pace on the first 1-1/2 laps.  My run finally came together on lap 3 (of course).  Oh BTW the coke at the aid stations is like crack.  Should have tried it on the first lap

This was my first time here so I do not know if the run course changed (a few people said it had) but I thought it was just fine.  A little off-roading (maybe a mile or so per lap) but the grass was short and the course was scenic.  I loved the tails back behind the wilderness lodge.  Plenty of aid stations and they doid not run out of anything.

I did think the swim was long however based on my and my wife's times (I'm not that slow on the swim)

Was a bit scary there setting up in the AM with the lightning and rain but it made for a pretty nice day overall.  The first lap of the run was hot but it clouded up after that and the final 2 were pretty good.

Thanks Sean! You deserve 2 dozen cookies with the amount of calories you burned yesterday!:0)I am glad you and your wife finished the HIM! Yeah nutrition is a tricky beast in itself. Still trying to figure my training nutrition out. HIM is my plan for next year! Congrats Again!!!!

2011-05-17 12:43 PM

User image

Arnold, MD

Sean - nicely done. Kudos to your wife too. Way to get er done.

Courtney, cookies look awesome. I am also jealous you are riding around FT DeSoto, one of my favorite places.

My first race of the season is done.

Swim - Good (11min)

Bike - Good (43min)

Run - Poor (36min)

The event was fantastic - triathlon finally returns to Annapolis -I had a good swim -(bad start) - good bike (bad mount) and then a slow run- legs just didnt want to run after the bike. I am bummed about my run time but happy just to be out racing.

Columbia Oly on Sunday, I predict another slow run, but will be happy to be out there racing again this weekend.

2011-05-17 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Vin- Great job! You finished and uninjured and that's what matters!!!! Good luck on the Oly this weekend! I have the Sarasota Dirty Duo on Sunday. 6 mile run/bike with obstacles should be a blast!!! I'm ready to get muddy!!!!

Who else is racing this weekend?

2011-05-17 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Okay so I have been thinking about signing up for the Women's 1/2 Marathon in November. I was going back and forth between the Disney wine n dine but Disney's race is already $140! Whew!This would be the farthest I will have ever run, and just started following Hal Higdon's 1/2 Marathon training plan. Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!
2011-05-17 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Great job Vin!

Cortney, yeah Disney is expensive.  I have heard the Wine & Dine is nicer than the normal 1/2 however.

If anyone is interested here is my race report...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=252723

Roy, they changed the run.  It's MUCH nicer now.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-05-17 2:31 PM
2011-05-17 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3504438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
buc20 - 2011-05-17 3:20 PM Okay so I have been thinking about signing up for the Women's 1/2 Marathon in November. I was going back and forth between the Disney wine n dine but Disney's race is already $140! Whew!This would be the farthest I will have ever run, and just started following Hal Higdon's 1/2 Marathon training plan. Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!

Courtney they have announced one of the Rock n Roll series half marathons to be held in St. Pete in Feb. I think. That's got to sound more appealing than going to Disney and a lot less money if you sign up early. I'll try to get the link for you tomorrow. You could stop off and have some cookies while your there.LOL
2011-05-17 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh

I have my Gladiator 5K race this Saturday.  Looking forward to the fun and challenge of the obstacles.  I just wonder how muddy I will be at the end.

Last night I signed up for my second tri.  This will be a sprint on June 4.  Already signed up for another tri in July on the 23rd.

Disney is definitely expensive.  I ran the half marathon in Jan 2009 and then the Goofy Challenge in Jan 2010.  Thinking of my next time there for marathon weekend might be 2013 as that will be the 20th anniversary of the marathon.

2011-05-17 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3504513

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

tri/tbay - 2011-05-17 3:45 PM
buc20 - 2011-05-17 3:20 PM Okay so I have been thinking about signing up for the Women's 1/2 Marathon in November. I was going back and forth between the Disney wine n dine but Disney's race is already $140! Whew!This would be the farthest I will have ever run, and just started following Hal Higdon's 1/2 Marathon training plan. Any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!

Courtney they have announced one of the Rock n Roll series half marathons to be held in St. Pete in Feb. I think. That's got to sound more appealing than going to Disney and a lot less money if you sign up early. I'll try to get the link for you tomorrow. You could stop off and have some cookies while your there.LOL

Thanks Sean!

Thanks Roy! I googled it and registration opens 5/23 and the first 500 people it only costs $55. I am in!!!!! And if you guys want cookies you will just have to race when I race!:0)lol

2011-05-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3504513

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

tri/tbay - 2011-05-17 3:45 PM

I saw that as well.  Cherry and I a def going to signup for that one.

2011-05-18 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Good Morning,

Looks everyone race plate is getting nice and full. Vin glad you were able to get into action last weekend. I would say your results were probably what was to be expected so nothing to worry about. It had to feel good to toe the line and compete. The shoulder didn't cause any problems? Hope not.

Brett good luck on your Gladiator run this weekend, these styles of runs are becoming very popular. I'll probably have to give one a try one of these days.

Sean you mentioned bike nutrition and how it affects the run, most defintely. After what I would consider two failed(relative term, I finished both times but not what I was looking for)HIM's due to improper bike nutrtion I finally got it right last year at Disney. For me I figured I needed about 600cal. on the bike to get in a good run and it went really well. And for me at about mile 45 or so I want something solid. Chose a Cliff Bar, but if doing one now I would go with a Honey Stinger Waffle. There great and very easy to chew and swallow. Keep playing with your nutrition and make sure you actually do it on race day. This is where it is easy to get off your plan, your focusing on the race and forget you have to take in the proper amount of calories. Don't forget about electrolytes as well, very important.

Glad you guys finished and I had read that the run had been changed up a bit thats great. It's not a bad run over there, just the grassy part was very hard.
2011-05-18 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Oh Yea, Courtney those are TV quality cookies.  You should sign up for one of those food challenge shows?
2011-05-18 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3505424

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

tri/tbay - 2011-05-18 8:06 AM Oh Yea, Courtney those are TV quality cookies.  You should sign up for one of those food challenge shows?

Awww.... Thanks Roy! Yeah I like making cookies and cakes when I want to that's why I got out of the catering business, too much stress! This way I can pick and choose Who, What, and When!lol

2011-05-19 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3506754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
buc20 - 2011-05-18 5:15 PM

tri/tbay - 2011-05-18 8:06 AM Oh Yea, Courtney those are TV quality cookies.  You should sign up for one of those food challenge shows?

Awww.... Thanks Roy! Yeah I like making cookies and cakes when I want to that's why I got out of the catering business, too much stress! This way I can pick and choose Who, What, and When!lol

Well I guess that explains the quality of the cookie and there presentation. Nice Job.

Roy
2011-05-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3507474

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
tri/tbay - 2011-05-19 7:39 AM
buc20 - 2011-05-18 5:15 PM

Well I guess that explains the quality of the cookie and there presentation. Nice Job.

Roy

Thanks! but I am self taught.:0)

2011-05-20 8:36 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Here is the latest info on the Lake Conditions for my race Sunday:

"In testing completed over the last couple of days, some sample results have shown an increased level of transient bacteria, due in part to the significant amount of rainfall and run off we have experienced these past weeks. These levels are temporary and do fluctuate with environmental conditions, but we cannot predict what those levels may be in the next few days."

Why do we do this again ?

2011-05-20 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3509634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
vhardick - 2011-05-20 9:36 AM

Here is the latest info on the Lake Conditions for my race Sunday:

"In testing completed over the last couple of days, some sample results have shown an increased level of transient bacteria, due in part to the significant amount of rainfall and run off we have experienced these past weeks. These levels are temporary and do fluctuate with environmental conditions, but we cannot predict what those levels may be in the next few days."

Why do we do this again ?

Well safety first for the participants, so I guess you might prepare yourself for a duathlon if water conditions are deemed unsafe. If that is true they usually will pick a distance that would represent the same time range as if you swam.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17