United States
Ironman North America Athlete Services
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 1167/1822
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 195/256
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race a front moved thru the area. Made checking in our bikes not to pleasant with the wind and rain. At least (we thought) it would all be clear the next day. We stayed in our RV at Fort Wilderness less than a 4 min walk to the transition area so we got to bed early and slept well.

Awoke to thunder, lightning and rain. We had hoped it was all going to be gone the day before but there was one last front moving in. We delayed going down to transition till it passed. That left us 30 mins to get setup. Plenty of time right?

Yeah we thought so too until we arrived to find that Cherry's (my wife) front tire that was fine the night before was flat. So I frantically changed out the front tube while she set up her and my transition areas.
Event warmup:

I think we both spiked our stress levels with the rain and wind and flat tire business. We did not even get 100% set up in transition before they asked us nicely to get the heck out. After we walked back to the RV to use the restroom (nice to not have to wait in line at the porta potties) and then went to the swim start to see the pros go off.
Swim
  • 42m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the course was long (some others agreed). I'm not normally that slow. Regardless I could not get in a good rhythm until the last 1/3 of the loop. Finally got my HR down and started on the 4 stroke breathing. My navigation was dead on however.
What would you do differently?:

Need to find a way to calm down earlier in the race.
Transition 1
  • 07m 25s
Comments:

A long run to transition (probably 2-3 mins of this time) and a decent run out (another 1 min). Had a bit of problem getting my compression socks on (those things are TIGHT). Other than that a good transition.

Find a way to get my CEPs on quicker.
Bike
  • 2h 58m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Went out a bit too fast. My back kept bothering me until mile 48. Kept having to get out of aero and stretch it out. According to my Garmin I averaged 19 (which I thought was pretty good considering the hills and headwinds). I really enjoyed the course. A good 80-90% of it was closed to traffic and lots of police out watching the intersections. Quite a bit of drafting going on however. Also I was amazed at how people threw their trash on the road. Not only is it a DQ-able offesne it's just plain bad manners. Stop littering people! I called one guy out for it but I do not think he spoke English.

Need to stretch out my back more before the event to keep it from limiting me.
Transition 2
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

Again, a bit of a run to get into and out of transition. Had to stop to pee on the way out of transition.

Nothing. A good transition.
Run
  • 2h 35m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Could not get it pulled together on the first 1-1/2 laps. Was not tired, did not spike HR, just could not get my legs to move. It was a walk/run suffer fest for the first 6 or so miles. Finally got it pulled together in the last 5 or so miles and finished stronger than I started. I have to give some credit to the flat Coke they had at the aid stations. Started it on lap 3 and it was quite the sugar and caffeine rush.

Saw Cherry on my lap 2, her lap 1 and again on my final lap and her lap 2. She looked like she was having a hard time too but she was smiling. Told her to "try the Coke. It's like crack" On my final lap I saw here with a cup in her hand and she agreed it was great.

Maybe need to work on my long ride/run bricks more. Have done shorter ones but I think the longer ride really put a hurting on my legs. Took way too long to get them back.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. We had to be out of our RV spot by 3PM and I finished about 2 PM. I got my bike and Cherry's bike out of transition and took them back to the RV and got it ready to go. Then ran (i already ran 13.1 miles dammit) back to the finish because I wanted to see her finish. After her finish we grabbed some pizza and then got in the RV and moved it to a parking lot where we vegged out for about an hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back and my inability to run faster than I do.

Event comments:

The bike course was 80-85% closed to traffic. Lots of police watching intersections.

All the aid stations on the run were great. All the volunteers were happy and cheering us on. They changed the run so that it has less off road. Really it was a great run course.

I'll be back next year to try to better my time.

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:18 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 144/256
Overall: 785/1822
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:58:40 | 56 miles | 18.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 180/256
Overall: 1038/1822
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:35:06 | 13.1 miles | 11m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 196/256
Overall: 1173/1822
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loop course. Some off road in the sun, some on road in the shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-17 2:25 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Florida

2011-05-17 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3504452

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida
never mind..

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-05-17 2:28 PM
2011-05-18 4:33 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Congrats on a great race!! Too bad the flat started you off stressed!
2011-05-19 5:43 PM

User image

Regular
Great race! Too bad about the flat tire! Btw, were you parked in spot 501? I was in 502 with my family, and I'm pretty sure you were next to us!
2011-05-20 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3508876

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

How funny.  Yes that was us.

My wife says to thank your husband.  He told us about last year and how he had 2 flats.  My wife encouraged me to pick up a second tube at the expo for her bike.  It was that second tube that we used in the morning leaving her one for the ride in case that one had issues.  She would have been WAY more stressed out had she had to head out with no spare tubes.

So how was your race?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed