BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-26 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3467285

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
kenj - 2011-04-26 4:10 PM
acv - 2011-04-26 2:47 PM
kenj - 2011-04-26 1:21 PM

Anyone having any training issues this week that we can discuss? 

Training issues:

I do sometimes have motivational issues. It’s not like I can’t get myself to get out there to do it but more like I have some internal angst about the impending workouts. I have some weird nervous energy about training and racing that I haven’t quite gotten under control.

For example: I wanted to get my long bike ride out of the way early this week but I had a flat tire Monday morning. So the ride is going to be pushed off till the weekend. There’s not much I can do about it now but the thought of the ride seems to weigh heavy on my mind. Once out there doing it I just seem to do it and enjoy it.

How do you keep going and not get crazy about it.

One of the reasons I like to get it done in the am before I have time to dwell on it, especially swimming .

I have learned that I have never (or at least rarely) gone to bed regretting a workout that was done.  
If I don't get my workout done in the morning I do tend to dwell on it.

2011-04-26 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3466741

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-04-26 12:21 PM

I was supposed to run and swim yesterday. I got the run in which for me is much more important than the swim. So the plan was to lift and swim today while the girls had class. They are there for 2.5 hours so that gives me plenty of time. Unfortunately, the little one fell asleep in the van. This rarely happens and she hasn't slept well this week (up all night Sunday) so I felt her sleep was very important and didn't want to wake her. She got her nap in and I had to choose between lifting and swimming. I chose lifting since it takes less time.

Tonight I have to also get on the trainer and in reality I should be doing that right now so I get it out of the way and then maybe I could make my swim up while DD has swim team if there is room for me (depends on how crowded the pool is).

My goal is to do the training on the day I am supposed to but if something gets in my way I try to simply move the workout rather than not doint it at all. Long run is Wednesday so I'd rather not have to do anything else on that day. Saturday is going to be tricky since DD has her first swim meet but I think I will have a chance to run the track behind the Y when she is not racing though I am not sure what time I work concessions. I will try to work it in.

Having 5 kids can throw a kink in the mix. There is something going on every single day. I am fortunate though that I don't have to work so there is flexibility and I am able to swim or run outside thanks to the YMCA childcare.

2011-04-26 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
Maryland

I'm trying not to get caught up in gear mania. I looked at road bikes today and realized how skilled salespeople can be at steering you off your budget number pretty quickly. That being said, how much difference do you feel having an aluminum v. carbon bike matters when you're starting out?
2011-04-26 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3464011

User image

Expert

scraver - 2011-04-25 9:21 AM I ran yesterday morning before the holiday festivities.  (where I proceeded to eat too much... but oh well)  I did my four mile route WITH my 30 lb son in his jogging stroller.  I think running with a jogging stroller should go in its own category of exercise... "bike", "swim", "run", "run with heavy toddler".  My son really seems to love it which is handy.  He was happy the whole time... Talking and counting things and squealing with excitement at the birds and squirrels.  I am hoping to make it a weekend routine.

Sounds like fun! One of the things I am looking forward to with grandchildren (hopefully not for a few more years) is pushing them in a jogging stroller and pulling them with the bike. BTW, I have been beaten several times in running races by people pushing strollers.

2011-04-26 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
kenj - 2011-04-26 1:21 PM

Just like everyone else, time is always an issue. I do have a plan for each week for running and biking which helps me keep on track. The one thing I am OCD about is sticking to a schedule so even though I don't write it down, as long as it's in my head I will stick to it.

My biggest issue is my swim training. Right now I just fit whatever I can into my lunch breaks. Planned on going today, but I worked into lunch a little and ran out of time. Unfortunately, swimming takes a back seat because I don't like the training as much as biking and running. My pool is not the best; only 20 yards, in a basement with no natural light, always way too hot, and too strong with the chemicals. I always finish with my nose burning. Fortunately I am not a bad swimmer, usually MOP, and I always really enjoy the swim in a race. I think if I could swim outdoors, either pool or lake, I would swim a lot more.

2011-04-26 6:11 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Toronto-ish

Vivian, I have found carbon fibre to be worth every penny.

Aluminum to me was always very light and responsive but harsh - you feel every bump in the road and it takes a toll in only a few miles. Carbon is magic. Without feeling mushy it manages to soak up many of those same small road imperfections. Granted, you don't need an entire carbon frame to get the majority the benefit - a carbom fork will get you much of the way there and if the rear triangle is carbon as well that'll get you IMHO about 60-70% of the feel of a full carbon bike. I know Trek makes bikes like that, I'm sure there must be others. It's a great way to go when starting out. Bought my GF a bike like that for $800 and she really likes it.

Having said that, there are some fantastic deals on aluminum bikes these days, particularly on the used market which is a great way to go provided you have some experience with what you're looking at or can tap someone on the shoulder for a little guidance. Go this route and you won't have to worry about losing much money should you decide to sell in a few months for whatever reason.

2011-04-26 8:24 PM

User image

I have a couple of training issues I could use some input:  

I find myself putting off the biking because I'm not comfortable on it.  I don't have any issues with riding in general, just the seat is uncomfortable. I replaced the stock seat with one that had a little more cushion, but it doesn't feel like I'm supported correctly.  I can never get comfortable for any length of time.  Any suggestions?  I have a schwinn fastback (entry level road bike).  It just really makes me dread a long ride.

I ran yesterday and tried to speed up a little (it was a 4 mile run).  When I got done I felt like I could have gone a lot faster, but mentally I kept worrying about not completing the run if I sped up and felt more tired than I actually was.  Any advice for picking up speed a little.  I've only been focused on running for times in the plans and now I want to work on speeding up some.  I definitely feel like I can speed up quite a bit without overdoing it, but I'm not sure how.

2011-04-26 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I'm most certainly a morning person, I so prefer to just get my training done and not have to worry about it all day and more likley then not talk myself out of it. My biggest issue, the pool. I'm going to make myself go in the morning at lest 2 x's but I can only get in about 35 minutes before work, however 35 minutes I figure is better then nothing. I've got no advice at all for getting yourself out there other then to just do it. Don't even give yourself the chance to back out. That's the only way I get it done.
2011-04-26 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3463486

User image

Veteran
Georgia
IceManScott - 2011-04-24 7:06 PM

After losing a couple of hundred pounds, nutrition has become my fourth segement of triathlon, injury prevention is fifth, positive mental attitude is sixth.

I have logged all my food since 2006, post cancer.  As weight loss got harder, I got more precise. 

I had my baseline metabolism measured scientifically at the local university last fall.  It was about 2600.  The advice I was given is to cut that by 500 cals a day...over a week that's 3500 cals = one pound.  Avoid more than that. You risk putting yourself in starvation mode.

Eat more at breakfast, a moderate lunch, less at dinner plus two snacks.    My "snacks" have become workout fuel.

Don't eat late at night.

Iceman

Do u eat back your workout calories?? I had my baseline tested last year and it was 2253. I eat every 3 hours nothing real late except if I have a late workout..If I don't watch what I eat the weight comes on quick but I have the hardest time shedding pounds.. I drink a gallon of water daily.. And to answer the other question posted I do weigh and measure my portion sizes.. Thanks for everyone helping with this matter..

Had a great bike ride tonight.. 25 miles 22.2 average

2011-04-26 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Hey All - sorry I have been out of the loop for the last few days.

I got back from our vacation yesterday and I either have a cold or allergies. But it is kicking my butt right now. So I haven't got a workout in since last Wednesday. I am tapering for Sunday's HM, but usually taper doesn't mean do nothing. I will hopefully get in an easy run and yoga class tomorrow.

Another big issue right now is hubby was just offered a job in Anchorage. Would be a huge promotion for him, but would also mean moving to Alaska. Freaking out right now, stress very high - don't know what to do. sigh.

2011-04-27 4:27 AM
in reply to: #3463921

User image

Expert
Canada
acv - 2011-04-25 9:41 AM

Got up this morning for a bike ride and my rear tire was flat. What was weird is I just did some bike maintenance yesterday and the tire pressure was right on the money. My last ride was Friday. My only thought is the valve may have gotten stuck open somehow.

PS Anyone else over eat this weekend?

What happened to the tire?  Valve?

Overeat?...Defnitely!!

2011-04-27 4:30 AM
in reply to: #3465916

User image

Expert
Canada
Kath2163 - 2011-04-26 2:20 AM

As things start ramping up in my training, I am finding I have many more days with two training sessions. For now I am managing doing both of them after work and in the evening. (I swam at 4:30 pm) and just got off my trainer (10:45 pm) but I know that I am going to have to make some changes as the lengh of the workouts increase. I have little problem getting on my bike/trainer in the morning but the idea of getting in a pool or running first thing in the moring makes me want to REALLY stay in bed! I don't know if I will ever be running first thing in the morning but once OWS starts in the summer I can usually drag myself there and be in the water before the sun rises (at least a couple of times a week).  Training for an Ironman is going to be a challenge in SO many ways.  How have you all handled double workouts? 

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I find the double workouts very difficult.  Not enough hours in the dayWink

2011-04-27 4:34 AM
in reply to: #3467344

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-04-26 5:35 PM

Having 5 kids can throw a kink in the mix. 

I have 2 kids & that is a kink.  5 must be 2.5 kinks!!!  Holy cow!!

2011-04-27 4:40 AM
in reply to: #3467509

User image

Expert
Canada
Viyoung - 2011-04-26 6:54 PM

I'm trying not to get caught up in gear mania. I looked at road bikes today and realized how skilled salespeople can be at steering you off your budget number pretty quickly. That being said, how much difference do you feel having an aluminum v. carbon bike matters when you're starting out?

I bought the aluminum first.  wanted to see if I would stick with it.  I upgraded within a year, so you may want to move up, as the advantages, are great.

I think buying low first is OK, because

1.  The used market is good.  Will probably be an easy sell, if necessary.

2.  My first, my hybrid, I kept.  I use it as a commuter bike, ride it with the kids & for "low key days". 

3.  Many do sprints with these bikes & do just fine.

JMHO

2011-04-27 4:50 AM
in reply to: #3467860

User image

Expert
Canada
geoffgm - 2011-04-26 10:24 PM

I find myself putting off the biking because I'm not comfortable on it.  I don't have any issues with riding in general, just the seat is uncomfortable. I replaced the stock seat with one that had a little more cushion, but it doesn't feel like I'm supported correctly.  I can never get comfortable for any length of time.  Any suggestions?  I have a schwinn fastback (entry level road bike).  It just really makes me dread a long ride.

I ran yesterday and tried to speed up a little (it was a 4 mile run).  When I got done I felt like I could have gone a lot faster, but mentally I kept worrying about not completing the run if I sped up and felt more tired than I actually was.  Any advice for picking up speed a little.  I've only been focused on running for times in the plans and now I want to work on speeding up some.  I definitely feel like I can speed up quite a bit without overdoing it, but I'm not sure how.

Bike...Couple of thoughts...

1. Are you wearing cycling shorts?  A must!

2. Have you had a bike fit?  Professional is best, but a bit pricey.  Otherwise there are fit calculators on the net that sometimes help? Trial & error.  Moving the seat a little may be a great help.

fit calculator example...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO&INTRO_LINK=NOREDIR&SITE.CODE=TRI

3. Cushy seat is not always best.  It is a saddle, not a seat.  Most saddles are rather hard & it is the support of your "sit bones" that seems to be important.  Hence seat position is so important.  If you feel numbness, etc, on your "man parts", a saddle with a furrow up the middle, can help.  Keri Kadi has tried several of these & may have some advice.

4.  The is some butt hardening that will occur, as you get more riding time in.

Hope some of this helps....

2011-04-27 4:51 AM
in reply to: #3468110

User image

Expert
Canada
robingray_260 - 2011-04-27 12:38 AM

I got back from our vacation yesterday and I either have a cold or allergies. But it is kicking my butt right now. So I haven't got a workout in since last Wednesday. I am tapering for Sunday's HM, but usually taper doesn't mean do nothing. I will hopefully get in an easy run and yoga class tomorrow.

Another big issue right now is hubby was just offered a job in Anchorage. Would be a huge promotion for him, but would also mean moving to Alaska. Freaking out right now, stress very high - don't know what to do. sigh.

Hope you feel better soon!

Wow, that will be a change.  Lots of thinking to do!!

2011-04-27 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Love bikes.

Nothing wrong with aluminum IF if comes with a carbon fork to dampen road noise.  Otherwise, you pick up everything.  I love metal bikes. I have a titanium road bike for daily riding and aluminum road bike for commuting because they are indestructible.  But aluminum will transmit the noise through the frame to you without a carbon fork.  You can always use an entry level road bike for something in the future if you decide to upgrade.  That said, if you know you are going to stay with the sport, carbon is sweet.  I like stiff carbon because I am a big boy...no flex for my 200 pound frame.  The power goes to the wheels instead of getting absorbed by soft flexy carbon.  Main thing, ride lots of bikes before you buy.  You'll get on one and know that is the one you love.  Love your bike.  You will be spending lots of time on it.

As for seats, comment was right on - cushy is not best.  The pain and numbness in the butt is caused by blood not reaching the tissue because the seat is too soft and crushes the tiny vessels,. or so I'm told.  You want soft only on the sit bones, harder foam everywhere else.  After cancer surgery, I was led to the Adamo saddles in 2006.  They had just come out.  Awesome.  No pressure underneath and foam where it should be and not where it shouldn't.  Gel on the sit bones only.  I've ridden thousands of miles.  Love them.  they make a tri saddle the "racing" model.  It has a neat little lip on the back of the saddle for hanging on a bike rack in transition.  Rails are titanium, so a little lighter. 

Also, the advice on shorts was right on.  Put some money into them.  I have to change some out of rotation, used up, and even my Adamo can't save me after a couple of hours on the old Bontrager shorts.  They are good for about a year and a half.  I have like three pairs and rotate.  Time for new.  Also going to try the new TYR carbon shorts and top.  I am so hot in hot weather and they claim the wicking is so good it lowers body temperature several degrees.  

2011-04-27 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3468207

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-27 5:27 AM
acv - 2011-04-25 9:41 AM

Got up this morning for a bike ride and my rear tire was flat. What was weird is I just did some bike maintenance yesterday and the tire pressure was right on the money. My last ride was Friday. My only thought is the valve may have gotten stuck open somehow.

PS Anyone else over eat this weekend?

What happened to the tire?  Valve?

Overeat?...Defnitely!!

I guess the valve got stuck. I filled it up and checked it in a bucket of water and no leaks. As of yesterday night it was still holding air.

2011-04-27 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3467509

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-04-26 5:54 PM

If I were you I would try and avoid the gear mania, but it is easier to get caught up in it.  That said, my first road bike and my current tri bikes are both aluminum.  My tri bike has almost 9000 miles on it and has served me very well.  But last year I bought a new road bike, it was time for an upgrade and I got a deal on a left over 2009/  It is all carbon and after riding that for a year, it is worth it in comfort.

Now, you can run any bike questions by us and we will chime in to help you make a good purchase decision if you are comfortable doing that.  There are some reasonably priced carbon bikes, but as a rule they will be more.  There is also the used market if you are comfortable doing that.  Biggest thing to make sure of is that it fits you comfortably.

One other thing, reading Ice's post reminded me of;

You need to be real careful with carbon as it can be a bit fragile compared to aluminum.  A ding on an aluminum bike and you can put some touch up paint on it and it is as good as new. 

Edited by kenj 2011-04-27 8:17 AM
2011-04-27 8:07 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
geoffgm - 2011-04-26 9:24 PM

Geoff, a lot of both of your issues will be solved with time and experience, especially pacing the run. 

As far as the bike goes, there is a certain amount of time in the saddle to allow the body time to adapt to riding.  But, an extra padded seat sometimes is worse than the thinly padded seats.  It is more in the way your sit bones fit on a particular saddle design.  A lot of bike shops will allow you to try a new saddle out and return it if it isn't right for you.  You may also want to try some different adjustments to see if a slightly different angle is more comfortable.
2011-04-27 8:09 AM
in reply to: #3468110

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-04-26 11:38 PM

I hope you get feeling better! 

As far as the move, can't offer much help or advice, but I can understand how that would be stressful.  Best of luck with your decision on that.

2011-04-27 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
geoffgm - 2011-04-26 9:24 PM

I have a lot of sympathy for you. Last year I finally bought a road bike and I struggled all year with it. Comfort was a big issue for me. I had 2 different shops fit me for it. Both made little tweaks here and there. I just never loved riding my bike.

This year has been really interesting. I love riding my bike. Time in the saddle I think has been the big factor for me. Just getting used to riding I think took a while for me. I’m still tweaking things here and there just the other day I tweaked my saddle position. My next bike investment will be a new saddle.

Take your bike to your LBS and pay them a few bucks to fit it for you. And then go out and ride for as long as you can stand it and then slowly increase your time in the saddle. It may take a while but your body will adjust and you will get comfortable riding. Don’t give up on it!

Oh and I did want to mention to get a good pair of bike shorts.

Here’s an article on bike saddles:

http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/bicycle_saddles.htm

Did you read Ken’s post on running? I think he makes a lot of good points on running and speed and not over doing it.

Edited by acv 2011-04-27 8:20 AM
2011-04-27 8:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Finally had a nice morning here to get out for a run!  With any luck it will at least be this nice for the weekend so I don't have to do the half marathon in the rain! 

What do the rest of you have planned for today?

2011-04-27 8:40 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Thanks for the advice on bikes.  I've been obsessing over it and have been scouring the market for a good used bike.  I'm going to see a Trek 1600 WSD tonight, aluminum with carbon fork and seat post, 300 mi., 2007 model.  She's asking $800. 

We'll see.

I actually ran a little today - sustained 3 1/2 mins. at 5.6 mph.  The knee is getting stronger and I'm actually able to run long enough to realize how out of shape I am!

2011-04-27 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3468494

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-04-27 8:18 AM

Finally had a nice morning here to get out for a run!  With any luck it will at least be this nice for the weekend so I don't have to do the half marathon in the rain! 

What do the rest of you have planned for today?

I am so glad you are having nice weather and hope it holds out for your HM.

It is already so warm here I have to run in the morning or the evening. I am not a morning person so running in the morning is rare. One of the boys had an orthodontic appointment today so it was up and out early or wait until this evening. I will be doing my long run tonight while DD#1 is practicing with the swim team. This is the longest run I have done in a while - 60 minutes so we'll see how it goes.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72