BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-05-05 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3482716

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-05 10:33 AM

lounav - 2011-05-04 5:49 PM Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  

Two hour swim!  Wow, that's impressive.

That's one way of putting in. 'Certifiable' is another ... but Louise is really, really, really committed to improving her swim!

Hope your kiddo heals well, sounds like she'll be just fine.

2011-05-05 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3482386

User image

Seattle

lounav - 2011-05-04 4:49 PM Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  

Bummer about the broken arm!!!! There are two pieces of good news here though, 1. You were scheduled to recover and now you are forced to recover! Perhaps it was meant to be? 2. Pink casts are awesome! 

2011-05-05 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3484315

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-05-05 3:22 PM

lounav - 2011-05-04 4:49 PM Well, I had big plans today.  I was going to go swim for two hours instead of taking my recovery day.  As I've mentioned, the swim is making me nervous!  This was the first time I was going to skip a recovery day.  But, instead I spent the day at the doctor's office with my 6 y/o who broke her arm.    She is actually pretty excited about the whole thing, because she is sporting a pink cast.  

Bummer about the broken arm!!!! There are two pieces of good news here though, 1. You were scheduled to recover and now you are forced to recover! Perhaps it was meant to be? 2. Pink casts are awesome! 

Sorry about the cast - hope all is well.  Pink.  hmmm, yea pink.  I'm sure it looks good on her. :-

2011-05-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3484353

User image

Veteran
Austin
mackjenn - 2011-05-05 4:50 PM

Sorry about the cast - hope all is well.  Pink.  hmmm, yea pink.  I'm sure it looks good on her. :-

Thanks for all the well wishes for my daughter.  She is hanging in there and taking the pain like a trooper.  She did have a bit of a breakdown last night when she started to realize what she would be missing out on (triggered by having to let her know she couldn't go to on of her best friends birthday parties at a bouncy/inflatable place).  Luckily, she has recently fallen in love with Harry Potter, so lots of reading to her has helped cheer her up.  

I'm struggling to get my workouts in with her at home, but I'm a mom first, so it is what it is.  My family is planning to do a trial camping trip (I know, not great timing with the broken arm) this weekend. We are trying to do a dry run for our two week road/camping trip in a few weeks.  I'm hoping to also get my first OWS in at the same time.  As long as I don't come across any snakes in the water (my biggest fear!), then I think it should go okay.  

What are everyone's weekend plans?

2011-05-06 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

Well all non-essential activities in my life are coming to a halt.  From now 'till mid Oct. it's all about Mom/Da' Freeloading Mutt/work and tri training.  I have officially begun training.  Done with prep.  I have 3 months for my 1st HIM and 4 for the next.  Last year our TNT coach had the group do 1.2/56/10 "practice" tri one month before Steelhead.  So, SH will be my practice tri for my A race, REV3.  It took me 9 hrs to finish SH last year.  With more practice/miles under me there's a chance I'll PR the whole thing--hahahahaha!!!  I just have to make sure not to drink OJ before the swim. LOL  Also, unlike last year, this year I'm being very proactive with chiro treatments (Graston on left calf) and with learning proper running technique.

Saw the chiro yesterday.  Gave me a lift for my leg, but in the coming weeks I'll be getting custom made orthos.  I also have an appt on Monday with a running coach to check my gait etc.  And even though I start TNT training in June for Nike's I may keep this coach for one-on-one instruction.  For me this year my tri goals are endurance, building my base and learning how to run properly.  Not interested in speed, PRs and all that.  I'll worry about all that when training for Cozumel begins next year.   

As for the breathing, doc gave me an inhaler to use as needed and I have to take zyrtec daily. 

I hope everyone has a good weekend training or racing! Laughing

2011-05-06 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3485381

User image

Master
Vista, CA
lounav - 2011-05-06 9:04 AM
mackjenn - 2011-05-05 4:50 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes for my daughter.  She is hanging in there and taking the pain like a trooper.  She did have a bit of a breakdown last night when she started to realize what she would be missing out on (triggered by having to let her know she couldn't go to on of her best friends birthday parties at a bouncy/inflatable place).  Luckily, she has recently fallen in love with Harry Potter, so lots of reading to her has helped cheer her up.  

I'm struggling to get my workouts in with her at home, but I'm a mom first, so it is what it is.  My family is planning to do a trial camping trip (I know, not great timing with the broken arm) this weekend. We are trying to do a dry run for our two week road/camping trip in a few weeks.  I'm hoping to also get my first OWS in at the same time.  As long as I don't come across any snakes in the water (my biggest fear!), then I think it should go okay.  

Snakes in the water are way worse than snakes on a plane, methinks! Hope the fam camp goes well and the pink cast isn't too tough for the girl (or the Mom).

Have fun swimming, too!

2011-05-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #3485457

User image

Master
Vista, CA
trainforacure - 2011-05-06 9:35 AM

Well all non-essential activities in my life are coming to a halt.  From now 'till mid Oct. it's all about Mom/Da' Freeloading Mutt/work and tri training.  I have officially begun training.  Done with prep.  I have 3 months for my 1st HIM and 4 for the next.  Last year our TNT coach had the group do 1.2/56/10 "practice" tri one month before Steelhead.  So, SH will be my practice tri for my A race, REV3.  It took me 9 hrs to finish SH last year.  With more practice/miles under me there's a chance I'll PR the whole thing--hahahahaha!!!  I just have to make sure not to drink OJ before the swim. LOL  Also, unlike last year, this year I'm being very proactive with chiro treatments (Graston on left calf) and with learning proper running technique.

Saw the chiro yesterday.  Gave me a lift for my leg, but in the coming weeks I'll be getting custom made orthos.  I also have an appt on Monday with a running coach to check my gait etc.  And even though I start TNT training in June for Nike's I may keep this coach for one-on-one instruction.  For me this year my tri goals are endurance, building my base and learning how to run properly.  Not interested in speed, PRs and all that.  I'll worry about all that when training for Cozumel begins next year.   

As for the breathing, doc gave me an inhaler to use as needed and I have to take zyrtec daily. 

I hope everyone has a good weekend training or racing! Laughing

It's so good to take care of yourself. You've raced enough to know to take care of this stuff BEFORE it becomes a huge issue. Glad you're getting relief for your breathing issue. Take care and have a great weekend!

2011-05-06 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3485381

User image

Seattle

EEEEEEEEKKKKS! I really don't know what I would do if I came across a snake in the water! Ugh!

Anyway, I will try and put that thought aside. Ha! This weekend I am going on a nice long bike ride tomorrow then have a half marathon on Sunday. The half is just sort of a for fun "C" race to see how my endurance is coming along. 

2011-05-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3485702

User image

Master
Hmmm, plans for the weekend...kiddo has baseball tonight, riding a metric century in the morning, another baseball game tomorrow and Sunday is completely free.  Sounds like a good weekend is taking shape.  Hope you all have a great one!
2011-05-06 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Weekend Plans...  Tonight I'm going to go for an hour run and then do the art walk with my girls and Jan downtown.  Tomorrow - maybe a nice ride early and yard work (yuck).   Sunday I'd debating about sleeping late or getting up for another open water swim in Denver (water is supposed to be at least mid 50s this time).  Maybe a long run too.  Girls will bbe with their mom, but I may do something with Jan.

Happy mother's day everyone!!!

2011-05-06 5:05 PM
in reply to: #3486043

User image

Seattle
mackjenn - 2011-05-06 4:59 PM

Sunday I'd debating about sleeping late or getting up for another open water swim in Denver (water is supposed to be at least mid 50s this time).  

This reminds me. I just got my new wetsuit and i was wondering at what temp I should be able to expect to get in the water and comfortable swim? Just a ballpark temp would be helpful because I really have no idea. 

2011-05-06 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3486049

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Asalzwed - 2011-05-06 4:05 PM

Sunday I'd debating about sleeping late or getting up for another open water swim in Denver (water is supposed to be at least mid 50s this time).  

This reminds me. I just got my new wetsuit and i was wondering at what temp I should be able to expect to get in the water and comfortable swim? Just a ballpark temp would be helpful because I really have no idea. 

Depends on the brand and your comfort level.  I have a hurricane 2 and I was actually not that cold on my body (areas covered by the wetsuit).  Hands, head, and feet were exposed and they got numb after a bit.

Wetsuit works by allowing a thin layer of water get between your suit and body - which is then warmed up by your body.  Initially, it is cold, but I found I did get comfortable when swimming in 51f water.  For me - only my face was a real issue and now that I know, I suspect it won't be as bad as before (I HOPE it is not as bad).  Want to try it out - fill your tub with water and get in.  Add ice.  Stir slowly.  Enjoy.  How cold can you let the water go?  Or get it real cold first and jump in!

2011-05-06 6:26 PM

Asalzwed - 2011-05-06 2:30 PM

EEEEEEEEKKKKS! I really don't know what I would do if I came across a snake in the water! Ugh!

Anyway, I will try and put that thought aside. Ha! This weekend I am going on a nice long bike ride tomorrow then have a half marathon on Sunday. The half is just sort of a for fun "C" race to see how my endurance is coming along. 

I have a sprint this weekend.  A "B" race for me.  It's a lake swim.  I haven't done a lake swim in three years because of snakes.... give me sharks, eels, waves, stingrays, jellyfish, any of it..... water mocs scare the begeezes out of me.  Normally swim is my strong suit but I'm just not sure about this....  Plus, its a regular tri and I usually do reverse tris.  Biking/Running with drippy hair and soggy bras aren't much fun.   But I need the practice, so out I go....

2011-05-07 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-05-06 11:30 AM

Have a great 1/2 marathon!!
2011-05-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3486059

User image

Master
Vista, CA
mackjenn - 2011-05-06 3:11 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-05-06 4:05 PM

Depends on the brand and your comfort level.  I have a hurricane 2 and I was actually not that cold on my body (areas covered by the wetsuit).  Hands, head, and feet were exposed and they got numb after a bit.

Wetsuit works by allowing a thin layer of water get between your suit and body - which is then warmed up by your body.  Initially, it is cold, but I found I did get comfortable when swimming in 51f water.  For me - only my face was a real issue and now that I know, I suspect it won't be as bad as before (I HOPE it is not as bad).  Want to try it out - fill your tub with water and get in.  Add ice.  Stir slowly.  Enjoy.  How cold can you let the water go?  Or get it real cold first and jump in!

Re: Cold water temps. I'm sure you know this John, but just in case you or someone else doesn't -- you can always put a layer of vasoline or other petroleum type jelly over your face (not near eyes or goggles), feet and backs of hands to add an extra layer of insulation. It seems to work. Just watch out for the goggle area because it will prevent a seal. Also can do it to neck and basically any exposed area...plus wear two caps since most of the heat escapes from the head. Right? Right.

Happy Weekend and Mother's Day to you all!
2011-05-07 11:27 AM

Race report-

1:15 (7th in my age group)

Course was wet, 72 degrees.  Started about 15 min late.  Didn't eat before hand- first time I'd tried that.  Drank very little since last tri I wanted to pit stop half way through.

Swim- 9 (race plan was 8:00)  Couldn't breathe from the first stroke.  Had to breath every 2 strokes (as in every right stroke).  Usually I try for 4-6 strokes.  Had bronchitis 2 months ago, two rounds of antiboidics, still coughing but shocked it was this tough.  Back to MD on Monday, as this is NOT going to be ok going into the last four weeks before my A race.

T1- bad (don't have split yet) couldn't get socks on, elected to wear bike shorts (first time tired this in a race) so had to put them on.  Glasses fogged up.  Frustrated.

Bike- Rented bike to see about upgrading.  Like the bike (after spending 4 hours in the shop over two visits yesterday to fit the bike and then fix a broken gear and angle seat).  Race said bike was 12 miles.  My odo said 11.  Girl next to me said her's said 11.4.  Who knows????  35:11 time.  Even splits.  Two major wipe outs right in front of me.

T2- better since I didn't wear bike shoes (new ones on order).

Run- I've been doing my bricks run to bike since my A race is that way.  I really felt it today to do bike to run transition.  Wobbly at first.  Splits 8, 8:30, 8:30.  Annoyed at my sunglasses so I took them off.  Tried running in the bike shorts- mistake.  Didn't slow me down but hated all that fabric on my legs when itw as so hot.

Overall- felt good.  No knee pain (an ongoing issue) Left hamstring continues to be very tight before, during and after race.  (Will a professional massage help any?)  Still undecided about race next week.  Will see how I (and my left hamstring) recover.

2011-05-07 11:37 AM

TMI question.  (Really, stop reading if you don't want to discuss poop)

Usually I eat before a sprint- PB and J or bagel, etc. about 60-90 minutes before.  That usually starts my system "going" in the morning and I can clear out last nights meal.  I haven't had any problems with this but my bowel is very touchy and sometimes I"m in the bathroom close to the start time so I really wanted to try not eating to see if that was better.  I had a large pizza dinner last night and stopped eating 12 hours before my race.  As I got up to the start I realized I hadn't had to clear things out.  I didn't have to at that point, which was good, and I was okay until after the race.  But I worry, what if...

So I'm wondering if I should compromise for my next race... eat a little something to see if it starts up my system but not enough to need to clear that out.  My next race may be my A race for the year.  Thoughts? 

2011-05-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3486657

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-08 1:27 AM

Race report-

Course was wet, 72 degrees.  Started about 15 min late.  Didn't eat before hand- first time I'd tried that.  Drank very little since last tri I wanted to pit stop half way through.

Swim- 9 (race plan was 8:00)  Couldn't breathe from the first stroke.  Had to breath every 2 strokes (as in every right stroke).  Usually I try for 4-6 strokes.  Had bronchitis 2 months ago, two rounds of antiboidics, still coughing but shocked it was this tough.  Back to MD on Monday, as this is NOT going to be ok going into the last four weeks before my A race.

T1- bad (don't have split yet) couldn't get socks on, elected to wear bike shorts (first time tired this in a race) so had to put them on.  Glasses fogged up.  Frustrated.

Bike- Rented bike to see about upgrading.  Like the bike (after spending 4 hours in the shop over two visits yesterday to fit the bike and then fix a broken gear and angle seat).  Race said bike was 12 miles.  My odo said 11.  Girl next to me said her's said 11.4.  Who knows????  35:11 time.  Even splits.  Two major wipe outs right in front of me.

Run- I've been doing my bricks run to bike since my A race is that way.  I really felt it today to do bike to run transition.  Wobbly at first.  Splits 8, 8:30, 8:30.  Annoyed at my sunglasses so I took them off.  Tried running in the bike shorts- mistake.  Didn't slow me down but hated all that fabric on my legs when itw as so hot.

Overall- felt good.  No knee pain (an ongoing issue) Left hamstring continues to be very tight before, during and after race.  (Will a professional massage help any?)  Still undecided about race next week.  Will see how I (and my left hamstring) recover.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I'm glad you decided to do the race (that was my advice a page earlier, don't know if you caught it).

You should consider writing your race report into the BT template as a formal post; it's really great to have that record and be able to look back on it. Plus, the Manatees all come by and say nice things.

For the fact that you did an awful lot of new stuff on race day, you made out like a champ! Great job!

So here are my random thoughts, FWTW (probably as much as you paid for them ...)

- I can't imagine breathing any less than every two strokes in a race (and for me, that's pretty much true in practice, too, although I alternate which side I breathe on regularly). Is there a reason you try for 4-6?

- I'd definitely get used to tri clothes for your A race. (did we cover that? did you post a question about that?) I'd go nuts running in bike shorts, too, and it eats up a lot of time in T1 putting them on.

- pro massage should help the hammy, although having just raced on it, icing for a day or two is probably a good idea. Make sure the pro massage is by someone who has some kind of certification / experience in SPORTS massage. If you have the ducats and an ART (active release therapy) practitioner in your area, I'd strongly recommend that. Some people do really well with foam rolling for tight muscles, as well.

2011-05-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3486670

User image

Melon Presser
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-08 1:37 AM

TMI question.  (Really, stop reading if you don't want to discuss poop)

Usually I eat before a sprint- PB and J or bagel, etc. about 60-90 minutes before.  That usually starts my system "going" in the morning and I can clear out last nights meal.  I haven't had any problems with this but my bowel is very touchy and sometimes I"m in the bathroom close to the start time so I really wanted to try not eating to see if that was better.  I had a large pizza dinner last night and stopped eating 12 hours before my race.  As I got up to the start I realized I hadn't had to clear things out.  I didn't have to at that point, which was good, and I was okay until after the race.  But I worry, what if...

So I'm wondering if I should compromise for my next race... eat a little something to see if it starts up my system but not enough to need to clear that out.  My next race may be my A race for the year.  Thoughts? 

Trust me, and anyone who's read my posts on the general forums know this ... no such thing as TMI!

Nutrition is something to work out before tough/long practices or bricks. The maxim NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY applies to nutrition as much as anything else.

Considering IF you do next weekend's race, it's essentially a practice race anyway, you could try it out. (Or before that if you happen to have a tough morning workout ...)

Just IMO, 60-90 minutes is VERY close to race time. Most people eat something resembling a snacky breakfast (what you said) 3-4 HOURS before a sprint race start, and then maybe pop something sugary like a gel 10 min before.

If you're going to eat, and that would cause your system to clear things out from the day before, it'd make sense to me to make it further away from race time, especially since you mentioned sometimes you're on the pot too close to race time.

Okay, now here's TMI

Several years ago, getting into tri and being a dog trainer, I decided: if I can train a dog to poop on command, then surely I could train myself to do so. And I have. I get up and poop first thing in the morning, no matter what. Actually I poop first thing after long sleeps, regardless of when they occur (I keep a notoriously bizarre schedule, meaning I don't really keep one at all).

It's a really useful skill to have. The pooping, not the lack of schedule.

2011-05-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3486657

User image

Master
Vista, CA
GraceVanOwen - 2011-05-07 9:27 AM

Race report-

Congrats on your race!  I would definitely try to get used to the bike to run transition since that's the way most tris are done. You're learning what will work for you. Great way to figure it all out.

I agree that massage can help but make sure you tell the massage person you just came off a tri so they don't go too deep on it. Icing, yes. Some brisk walking followed by stretching might help it as well, just be very mindful of your stretching and don't over-stretch -- no pain. I swear by ART as well, but myofacial release and trigger point is also great. I'm a big believer in acupuncture, too. All kinds of modalities can help.

Again, great job out there! Woo-hoo!!
2011-05-08 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

CONGRATULATIONS Grace!! Smile

2011-05-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3479569

User image

Dallas, TX
mackjenn - 2011-05-03 10:00 AM

Teddie - a teaser for your trip - attached is a current pic of Pikes Peak from the parking lot at work.

I feel for you having to look at that view all the timeWink  I was in Denver a couple weeks ago and running at Lifetime Fitness with a view of the mountains is a lot more interesting than running at Lifetime in Dallas with a view of traffic!

2011-05-08 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3487975

User image

Dallas, TX
Congrats on the race Grace!!
2011-05-08 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Way to go Grace!

I chickened out of my first OWS practice today.  BUT, I do have big plans to do it next week.  Instead I went and spent 2 hours at the pool.  I think I finally have my breathing back under control and am feeling much better about my odds of surviving my tri (okay, at least of making it out of the lake, still plenty of fears about crashing my bike!).

On a very different note, I'm a big fan of stocking my fellow Manatees through their logs.  But, there are a few people that I can't access their logs and some that aren't keeping logs.  Both of which are complete your right to do.  But, I do have fun looking at logs for those that are on the fence!

2011-05-08 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3486776

I can't imagine breathing any less than every two strokes in a race (and for me, that's pretty much true in practice, too, although I alternate which side I breathe on regularly). Is there a reason you try for 4-6?

Maybe we're talking about the same thing?  I'm talking- in the race every time my right hand went up, I had to breathe.  Is that every two strokes ("left, breathe, left, breathe")?  In practice, I'm usually (breathe, left, right, left, breathe, left, right, left, breathe) which I thought was every four strokes.  Anyway, I always thought the breathing took a little extra time and seems to slow my times when I don't get more strokes in per breath. 

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

And as to my log, well I'm already loggin on training peaks and also on my iphone.  I just can't get up for logging one more place.  Maybe after my big race in June I"ll have more time.  Right now it's just all kids and gym.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43