BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

I have a wonderful and supportive wife!  I got new tri stuff for father's day, and she is OK with my new wheels I am getting.  We have a lot going on right now at home, finishing the basement and painting.  Last night she says to me that my training is reminding her of the days I had to study for actuarial exams.  That's not a good sign.  I would spend 2 - 3 hours a night at the library for 3 out of 6 months, and the few weeks prior to the exam 3 - 4 hours a night.  I try to be creative and knock out my workouts early or late in the day, or even at lunch on the weekdays, but it is hard to get the longer workouts in at lunch.  I think some flowers are in order.

2011-06-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3563544

User image

hoots - 2011-06-23 7:59 AM

I have a wonderful and supportive wife!  I got new tri stuff for father's day, and she is OK with my new wheels I am getting.  We have a lot going on right now at home, finishing the basement and painting.  Last night she says to me that my training is reminding her of the days I had to study for actuarial exams.  That's not a good sign.  I would spend 2 - 3 hours a night at the library for 3 out of 6 months, and the few weeks prior to the exam 3 - 4 hours a night.  I try to be creative and knock out my workouts early or late in the day, or even at lunch on the weekdays, but it is hard to get the longer workouts in at lunch.  I think some flowers are in order.

Good idea.  Triathlon can be a very selfish endeavour.  Of course it keeps us sane, but it also takes away from family time.  It can be hard to find the right balance, especially as we tend to get caught up in the "importance" of our training

After I got sick in 2008 and couldn't train as much, my perspective changed somewhat.  Sleeping in on the occasional Sat. morning and going to breakfast with my wife rather than riding for 5 hours.  What a concept!

2011-06-24 10:28 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO

I decided to sign up for on Olympic and test the waters before the HIM. It is two weeks from Sunday. There is a big hill with a 15% grade for 2/3 of a mile. Can't decide between riding my road bike with a compact cranks, or tri bike with standard chain rings. Either way the 11-28 cassette will be on the rear.

How is everyone else's training going? We have a quiet group.

Edited by hoots 2011-06-24 10:29 AM
2011-06-24 10:33 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

I only ride my mountain bike with the compact so not much advice from me on that one.   I've yet to do an Olympic.  I'd have to travel to do it.  Not far, but far enough, so I leave my traveling for the HIM's.  I really want to do one though.  Good luck on the race.  I love hilly races.

Just really getting back into the training cycle again.  I had a discussion with my cousin over my training plan (she's a former pro and at one time was number 2 in the world so I tend to not ignore her) and am dropping from a 3,4,4 sbr plan back to 3 a piece.  But no "easy" workouts.  This will free me up for more strength training, which I greatly miss.  I'm just doing this for fun and if I have to miss out on something I enjoy seems to be not worth the extra workouts.  She thinks I can still improve on the new plan.

2011-06-24 1:08 PM

User image

Ouch.  Olympics hurt.  They are short enough that you feel you need to go fast (which is true), they honestly take me several days to recover from.  They also start to give you an idea about nutrition, s you should definitely have something on the bike, and a gel on the run (at least I do).  But still a diferent animal than an HIM, where you jsut sort of put it in gear and go.

I am racing an Oly this Sunday in Ventura, first Oly in about 3 years.  But i haven't tapered for it, just training through.

My running partner is out of town this weekend so I switched things up and swam a mile in the ocean this morning with another group.  What a great way to start the day.  Dolphins were out, although we didn't see them while we were swimming 

As it's my first mentor group, I've tried to keep the postings up, but other than the few regulars, it's pretty quiet.  I welcome ideas to spice it up a bit, although if people drop out not much can be done about that.

2011-06-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3565979

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-06-24 12:08 PM

Ouch.  Olympics hurt.  They are short enough that you feel you need to go fast (which is true), they honestly take me several days to recover from.  They also start to give you an idea about nutrition, s you should definitely have something on the bike, and a gel on the run (at least I do).  But still a diferent animal than an HIM, where you jsut sort of put it in gear and go.

I am racing an Oly this Sunday in Ventura, first Oly in about 3 years.  But i haven't tapered for it, just training through.

Yeah, even in the duathlons I have done, I carry at least two gel packs with me plus gatoraid or similar on the bike.  The timing works out good, it is right after a rest week.  Hopefully, I will be able to get my running milage later that week.

My running partner is out of town this weekend so I switched things up and swam a mile in the ocean this morning with another group.  What a great way to start the day.  Dolphins were out, although we didn't see them while we were swimming 

I hit the lake again at 5:30 this morning swam a mile.  Shaved 4 minutes off my time from last week.  I have a rough time the first .25 miles, but then I settle into a groove and just go.

As it's my first mentor group, I've tried to keep the postings up, but other than the few regulars, it's pretty quiet.  I welcome ideas to spice it up a bit, although if people drop out not much can be done about that.

I am not trying to be critical of your involvement.  In fact, I appreciate all the tips you, and others, have shared.  The improvement in my swimming alone has made this worthwhile.  I am usually the lurker on message boards, so I wanted to encourage the others to post.

2011-06-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3566098

User image

I am not trying to be critical of your involvement.  In fact, I appreciate all the tips you, and others, have shared.  The improvement in my swimming alone has made this worthwhile.  I am usually the lurker on message boards, so I wanted to encourage the others to post.

No worries, didn't take it that way, just wanted to open the floor up for people to chime in if they had ideas. 

2011-06-25 10:08 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I ran 11 miles on Thurs night, swam 1 mile yesterday, and am very sore today. I need to run today, I couldn't do it right now if I tried. My plan is to take it easy today, swim this evening, and go for a run tonight.
2011-06-25 12:33 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

blah, your making me feel bad about not doing my 11 miler this week hoots.    I switched my weeks around this week so that I didn't come back from the long layoff and throw down any big miles so it's now on next weeks schedule, which was normally the recovery week. 

Went for a long ride with a friend today.  Nice to have company.  It meant my pace was slower but I can handle that every now and then.   Not like I'll lose my podium spot. lol  But, somehow the ride got cut short by the farmers market.   Ha, never had that happen before.  In reality I could have rode from there but I kind of ended up out of ride mode so took the drive home that was offered to me.  It was a good ride either way.

2011-06-25 4:19 PM

User image

Los Angeles

ran 6 miles this morning....

Now headed to Rose Bowl,  USA vs Mexico in Soccer!!!  Go USA!!!    and i will have a couple of beers too!!

2011-06-25 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3567076

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bad91 - 2011-06-25 3:19 PM

ran 6 miles this morning....

Now headed to Rose Bowl,  USA vs Mexico in Soccer!!!  Go USA!!!    and i will have a couple of beers too!!

Jealous of the game and beers!

2011-06-26 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Hi guys!  I finally got the race report up.  Uphill racing is the toughest race Ive ever done! an hour and 27 minutes straight up.  I ended up taking 4 one minute breaks coz my HR was pegged at 185!  The highest its gone in training was 175.  By the time I got to the top me and the bike were one!  Literally.  My husband tried to take the bike to put it up on the car and I just crumpled to the ground! He had to give it back to me so I could make my way over to the wall to sit!  I am deifinitely not ready for Mt. Washington at 12% grade.  Maybe next year.  But there is a few more smaller uphill races I think I will register for!

Its time to get my swim on.  I am doing an off road sprint as a relay with the hubby and a friend.  Im doing the swimming portion - 1/2 mile across the lake.  Its a point to point race.

I hope everyone is doing well and having fun!

2011-06-26 11:06 PM

User image

Brent - hope you were safe with the crowds and all.  How can a US v. MX game in Pasadena be an away game????

Got up wicked early after not being able to sleep well last night and drove to Ventura for Breath of Life Oly.  Intent was just to train thru it, although yesterday I just rode the trainer for an hour.  Swim was a bit short but went well, bike a bit crowded but just maintained a decent pace knowing I'd have to run after, and the 10K for me was just a solid consistent run.  Not fast, but I didn't walk, and kept up a nice rhythm.  Coming to the turnaround, I started to think I could PR the Oly distance if I kept it up.  Came in at 2:37:44, a PR for me by a minute and change. 

Man I love to race.

2011-06-26 11:20 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Seren, great job... you did it.

Chris, congrats on your PR, very nice!!

As for the game, WOW...It was a total home game for Mexico.  There were 94,500 people there and seriously there was maybe 5,000 Americans.  A great majority of Mexican fans were great.  There was the 1% element.  We got pelted with beers, bottles of soda, and water.  It was sad...but that being said, I would go again.  I am very loyal to the USA! as should have been the majority of people at the Rose Bowl.  We got in and out pretty quickly.  

I started my swim class today at Rose Bowl Aquatic Center.  I am happy to get feedback about how horrible I swim. I learned i wasnt using my hips when kicking...i learned a little today so i am happy.

Everyone have a nice week

2011-06-27 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3568417

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-06-26 10:06 PM

Brent - hope you were safe with the crowds and all.  How can a US v. MX game in Pasadena be an away game????

Got up wicked early after not being able to sleep well last night and drove to Ventura for Breath of Life Oly.  Intent was just to train thru it, although yesterday I just rode the trainer for an hour.  Swim was a bit short but went well, bike a bit crowded but just maintained a decent pace knowing I'd have to run after, and the 10K for me was just a solid consistent run.  Not fast, but I didn't walk, and kept up a nice rhythm.  Coming to the turnaround, I started to think I could PR the Oly distance if I kept it up.  Came in at 2:37:44, a PR for me by a minute and change. 

Man I love to race.

Contests on the PR! That's a great time!
2011-06-29 5:44 PM

User image

Bump up...  Sorry guys, been a little quiet, post race fatigue, busy at work since I am out next week....   you know how it goes.

Hope everyone is getting over hte hump OK.  I am counting the hours until Friday, Saturday we head up to the Sierras for a week.  getting some MTB in, some trail running, some lake swimming, some fly fihing, and a whole LOT of nothing.

2011-06-30 6:41 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Sounds like an awesome time Chris. 

Well, just registered for the Elephant Man Long Course tri.  No skipping out now I guess.    Although now I am sitting here waiting on a thunder storm to pass so I can get my run in.  I don't play with thunder and lightening and flash flooding.

2011-06-30 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3574196

User image

Expert
One of the deputies that works in our jail here was killed yesterday riding her bike. She was not wearing a helmet and docs say that she would have lived had she worn one.  Let that be a lesson to ya!!
2011-06-30 6:02 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Wow....Sorry to hear bout your deputy.  I ll be honest, I am 2 miles from my house to my station (gym).  I routinely ride my mtn bike the 2 miles to and from the station to workout at our gym.   I know its wrong and will accept the consequences for not wearing a helmet (on the ocassions that I dont wear it).  Same when I played ice hockey.  I didnt wear a visor for a long time.  I eventually went to the half shield.  I truly believe it should be a choice of the reader but that is just me. 

Anyways, I m tired ...i did 3 separate workouts last night.  A hour long hill climb intervals, 1/2 hour run, and then 8 laps around the Rose Bowl (25+miles).  3 hour workout.  I feel i am getting stronger too!

2011-07-01 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3575405

User image

Expert
Boston

gator22 - 2011-06-30 3:31 PM One of the deputies that works in our jail here was killed yesterday riding her bike. She was not wearing a helmet and docs say that she would have lived had she worn one.  Let that be a lesson to ya!!

Wow!  Totally sux!  I wouldn't ride without one in this day and age.  I know we didn't wear any as kids but there were less cars on the road back then too!  And I always wear Road ID  JUST IN CASE!  I want them to know who to call

With that....Hope you all have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!  I have an off road sprint with the hubby and a friend in 34 days so I will be getting the hubby out there on the mountain bike.  I have the easiest part - the swim! 

Seren

2011-07-03 1:11 PM

User image

Los Angeles

DAMN its HOT...i ve done my workouts too late in the day.  LOL   BUT i got them done and I hydrated myself...

Big 5k race tomorrow (4 of july) and then BBQ and some beers!

Hope everyone has a good and safe holiday!

2011-07-03 1:11 PM

User image

Los Angeles

DAMN its HOT...i ve done my workouts too late in the day.  LOL   BUT i got them done and I hydrated myself...

Big 5k race tomorrow (4 of july) and then BBQ and some beers!

Hope everyone has a good and safe holiday!

2011-07-03 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3579093

User image

Payson, AZ

good luck on the race Brent.  I volunteered at a race this morning and those poor guys.  Killer hot.  A rare humid day in Tucson as well so of course that made it worse.

I am so glad tomorrow is a holiday.  I am sooooo sleeping in.

2011-07-04 12:12 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Thx for the good luck!  I did well...i broke 24 minutes.  I did 23:56...so i was under 8 min miles.  I was pretty happy with the outcome.  Not bad for an old big guy!!!    

Happy 4th everyone! 

2011-07-04 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3579900

User image

Expert
Nice Job Brent! I am working all night Hope you guys have some fun for me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20