BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-30 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3962243

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED
TriAya - 2011-12-30 12:34 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 2:27 AM

There is always a however, isn't there?

Yeah, this was a really tough conclusion for me to come to. I have been nearly PREACHING about how great lifting is and now I am abandoning it.

I will say, in regard to weight loss and decreasing body fat it has been amazing. If any of you guys are looking for that whole "last ten pounds" weight lifting was it. Of course paired with your regular SBR routine. I also need to add that I had WAY more gains with a sturdy 5x5 plan. The light weight high rep crap was a waste of time....and I am hiding now so I don't get killed for saying this. 

Not at all. You're correct, again, according to the best body of evidence in sports science right now.

Oooooh, well then, sometimes I DO know what I am talking about. Does this mean I have your blessing to cut out the weight lifting? Is there anything I should consider? This process is all new to me and I just don't want to screw anything up. 

Just another piece of information, I plan on adding "strength" period into my running in a few months that will include hills and speedwork. Not to mention I live in Seattle so it seems everywhere I run includes at least a 500' elevation loss/gain. 

2011-12-30 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3962270

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 2:44 AM
TriAya - 2011-12-30 12:34 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 2:27 AM

There is always a however, isn't there?

Yeah, this was a really tough conclusion for me to come to. I have been nearly PREACHING about how great lifting is and now I am abandoning it.

I will say, in regard to weight loss and decreasing body fat it has been amazing. If any of you guys are looking for that whole "last ten pounds" weight lifting was it. Of course paired with your regular SBR routine. I also need to add that I had WAY more gains with a sturdy 5x5 plan. The light weight high rep crap was a waste of time....and I am hiding now so I don't get killed for saying this. 

Not at all. You're correct, again, according to the best body of evidence in sports science right now.

Oooooh, well then, sometimes I DO know what I am talking about. Does this mean I have your blessing to cut out the weight lifting? Is there anything I should consider? This process is all new to me and I just don't want to screw anything up. 

Just another piece of information, I plan on adding "strength" period into my running in a few months that will include hills and speedwork. Not to mention I live in Seattle so it seems everywhere I run includes at least a 500' elevation loss/gain. 

Yes. Get rid of it. And talk to Scout.

Where you're going, you're going to have to progressively challenge your body running, so you need to get intimate with the pain caves that are strength and speed training.

I know I've given you a lot of required reading, but add everything Hal Higdon has to say about his Advanced programs.

2011-12-30 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3960495

User image

Melon Presser
kgore - 2011-12-30 4:22 AM

Thanks for the running article--I have to wait til tonight to read it--for some reason, they aren't keen on me reading tri stuff online while at work! Undecided 

The aerobars are Profile Split Second AL, and the handle bar I got is a Syntace Bullhorn 26.0; Sorta funny, my husband came home from work yesterday and took a look at them and was almost drooling. While he isn't really considering getting into tris, he does like a good bike! If I keep getting better looking gear, he might actually join me! Although he has already expressed interest in doing the Down n Dirty mudrun w/me next year---its a 1st step....

Here's a really important thread for you to read regarding aerobars/cockpit (the posts from Tom Demerly, audiojan, myself):

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272171&start=1

Now, Split Second ALs are essentially shorty bars, which makes them an acceptable compromise bar setup for a road frame.

I think it's really important to have a professional well-versed in intermediate (meaning not road and not strictly TT) positioning fit the bike and its new components to you.

A couple of problems I see when folks put aerobars on a road bike is that a) they're now distributing their weight differently on the bike, in a way it wasn't designed for, so they wind up really weaving their bikes, and b) they get in and out of aero a lot (huge time-waster). These negate (or as Tom points out even resulting in slowing down) any aerodynamic positioning benefits.

2011-12-30 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Thanks Yanti! The changes in bike geometry was something I have been concerned about. I had told the husband I was most likely going to wait on installing everything until I could get a tune-up/fitting; of course, he didn't quite grasp that idea "why?!? you have all the cool bits you need now just set it up and go!" eesh, men.

In any case, with my training officially restarting and the next season fast approaching, I will get the tune up ASAP, and leave the extra stuff off for now. Something to mess with during my next off season--who knows? I might just acquire more nifty bike goodies in the meantime! (I am very poor--no such thing as a rich zookeeper--so I can only buy used stuff...and usually only parts, otherwise I would SO be buying a new tri bike!!! Money mouth

2011-12-30 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3962421

User image

Melon Presser
kgore - 2011-12-31 4:14 AM

Thanks Yanti! The changes in bike geometry was something I have been concerned about. I had told the husband I was most likely going to wait on installing everything until I could get a tune-up/fitting; of course, he didn't quite grasp that idea "why?!? you have all the cool bits you need now just set it up and go!" eesh, men.

In any case, with my training officially restarting and the next season fast approaching, I will get the tune up ASAP, and leave the extra stuff off for now. Something to mess with during my next off season--who knows? I might just acquire more nifty bike goodies in the meantime! (I am very poor--no such thing as a rich zookeeper--so I can only buy used stuff...and usually only parts, otherwise I would SO be buying a new tri bike!!! Money mouth

I'm a big believer in affordable parts and building a WICKED engine. Owned 5 racing bikes, all good, all brand, never paid more than $700 for any of them, sold the first four for more than I paid. Have gotten tons of free and cheap bike parts by ... any means necessary.

I have my eye on an Elite custom bike (a pretty exclusive brand), but that's gonna have to be a whole lotta "any means necessary."

2011-12-30 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3962091

User image

Coastal Carolina
Asalzwed - 2011-12-30 12:15 PM
TriAya - 2011-12-30 11:12 AM
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 1:06 AM
TriAya - 2011-12-30 10:57 AM
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 12:52 AM
cggale - 2011-12-29 7:51 PM

Yeah, I just signed up for a half marathon in May!!    

Is anyone a USAT member?  I'm thinking about signing up for membership as I'm wanting to do at least 3 or 4 triathlons for  2012.  It's $45 dollars for a years membership.  Sounds pretty good, but I guess I'll give it some more thought. LOL, my race wish list is growing for 2012, but my pocket book has remained the same...small.  Tongue out

I hear ya about wanting to save $. This sport (or sports) are expen$ive!!! What I HAVE heard is that you don't get any savings out of it unless you are doing at least 5 races. In my opinion, 5 triathlons in a year is kind of a lot for anybody. If you think you are going to do that many, by all means! 

My head is fuzzy and my eyes blurry--Jo pointed out above if you sign up NOW still in 2011, it's $39, and the one-time license will be $12. So it's worth it for 4 or more races. So Claire--if four races you are very likely to do require the USAT license, probably go for it.

Ohhhh ok, yeah I thought I looked and it was 45 and the one time was 10. Either way, I guess you just have to do the math. Just use the quadratic equation and it will all work out Smile it always does.

x = [-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac)]/2a

I am a horrendous nerd. I did win Biggest Nerd on BT once, for a very neat little practical joke with a bioengineered organism.

That's hot. 

I was told there would be no math

2011-12-30 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

So nutrition question for you all...

Background:

Tuesday I am starting a 'dry land' class with a Tri coach at the ungodly hour of 6AM - it takes me about 40 minutes to get to class from my home.  The class will go for 45 minutes.

Then we'll jump in the pool and do an hour long swim class.  The swimming is Tri specific...usually warm up 300 yds, some drills, more swim sets, few drill sets and then another swim set.

Currently - I am doing a beachbody smoothy b4 my swim class - usually I hang out at home drink it and then drive to swimming so it has time to digest a bit b4 jumping in the pool.  While I like this worried about the new schedule of dry land/swim - I'd rather sleep in a bit longer.   Might try just drinking it on the way to class and see how i do.  It is bananna, sbux via, shakeology mix - 15 g protein - i think.

Question:

What would you eat?? FASTER/Easier the better.  

Thanks!

Ann

2011-12-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3962524

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2011-12-31 5:28 AM

No more than it takes to figure out how much time you need to slot in for 15 miles. Laughing

I gotta ask. How did you choose your username?

2011-12-30 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3962539

User image

Melon Presser
stampinann - 2011-12-31 5:34 AM

Background:

Tuesday I am starting a 'dry land' class with a Tri coach at the ungodly hour of 6AM - it takes me about 40 minutes to get to class from my home.  The class will go for 45 minutes.

Then we'll jump in the pool and do an hour long swim class.  The swimming is Tri specific...usually warm up 300 yds, some drills, more swim sets, few drill sets and then another swim set.

Currently - I am doing a beachbody smoothy b4 my swim class - usually I hang out at home drink it and then drive to swimming so it has time to digest a bit b4 jumping in the pool.  While I like this worried about the new schedule of dry land/swim - I'd rather sleep in a bit longer.   Might try just drinking it on the way to class and see how i do.  It is bananna, sbux via, shakeology mix - 15 g protein - i think.

Question:

Thanks!

Ann

I'd drink it on the way (first few minutes) and that'll give you a nice 30-minute window at least. See how it sits with you. Depending on how intense the dry land work is you might need to have some sports drink or something else easy going down with a bit of sugar before swimming.

2011-12-30 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3961323

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
TriAya - 2011-12-30 12:35 AM

jmkizer - 2011-12-30 8:26 AM Swimsuits.  I need some.  I have been using TYR maxbacks (poly) and they are fine.  I was looking at some by The Finals and Dolfin.  Any negative comments?

I beat the living hell out of my poly Dolfin for 5 years and it stayed the course. Also felt very comfortable to me from the start--wore it for pool or pool/combo sessions up to 12K, no lube, no problems. Between that and the price, I'm a fan.

Speedo Endurance drives me crazy because there's a thick stitched Speedo logo right on the butt and it keeps scratching. If you can get deals on their other poly-type suits, they wear well.

Had poly suits from TYR and Arena as well and they performed fine, just not outstandingly.

x2 on the swimoutlet.com; sportsbasement.com has great deals on tri and swim wear, as well.

Thanks!  I was looking at swimoutlet.  I'll heck sportsbasement before I order.

2011-12-30 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3962540

User image

Coastal Carolina
TriAya - 2011-12-30 4:34 PM
Tripopo - 2011-12-31 5:28 AM

No more than it takes to figure out how much time you need to slot in for 15 miles. Laughing

I gotta ask. How did you choose your username?

My plan is to do a 5-8-5 over the next three days while running and bump up my ten miler to 15 for my long run next week since I don't really need a recovery week since I've been lazy...

I am a bike cop, popo, and I do tris so tripopo, used to use schwinpopo on other forums but figured that would be a little overboard for this forum.

I just upgraded my membership is there anyway to change days around on the stock plans?  my days off change every month and I like to schedule my longer stuff on off days when possible.

2011-12-30 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3962302

User image

Master
Orlando

Here's a really important thread for you to read regarding aerobars/cockpit (the posts from Tom Demerly, audiojan, myself):

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=272171&start=1

Now, Split Second ALs are essentially shorty bars, which makes them an acceptable compromise bar setup for a road frame.

I think it's really important to have a professional well-versed in intermediate (meaning not road and not strictly TT) positioning fit the bike and its new components to you.

A couple of problems I see when folks put aerobars on a road bike is that a) they're now distributing their weight differently on the bike, in a way it wasn't designed for, so they wind up really weaving their bikes, and b) they get in and out of aero a lot (huge time-waster). These negate (or as Tom points out even resulting in slowing down) any aerodynamic positioning benefits.

Putting aerobars on my road bike was something I considered last summer as I started to gear up for my HIM.  I read some of Tom Demerly's post that essentially said adding aerobars to a road bike creates a mediocre road bike and a mediocre tri bike.  At least that was my interpretation.  In the end, I didn't add them and it appeared I was the only person in the race without either a tribike or clip ons. 

Since I'm sure I will be doing at least 1 HIM this season, I am back to deciding what to do.  I'd love a tribike, but i'd also love to save some money.  Decisions, decisions.

Ann-Marie

Edited by amd723 2011-12-30 4:47 PM
2011-12-30 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3962539

User image

Master
Orlando
stampinann - 2011-12-30 3:34 PM

Background:

Question:

Thanks!

Ann

Do you make your shake with water or milk?  I can't take milk before a workout -even 3 hours before- so I would have to either make it with water or find something else.

Ann-Marie

2011-12-30 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3962668

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
amd723 - 2011-12-30 5:47 PM

Putting aerobars on my road bike was something I considered last summer as I started to gear up for my HIM.  I read some of Tom Demerly's post that essentially said adding aerobars to a road bike creates a mediocre road bike and a mediocre tri bike.  At least that was my interpretation.  In the end, I didn't add them and it appeared I was the only person in the race without either a tribike or clip ons. 

Since I'm sure I will be doing at least 1 HIM this season, I am back to deciding what to do.  I'd love a tribike, but i'd also love to save some money.  Decisions, decisions.

Ann-Marie

Yanti said it best somewhere that I'm too lazy to search through the posts.  Concentrate more on your engine and less on your bike.  If you want tri bars, try them. I had them on my old road bike through my 1st season.  The road bike was too big for me but I didn't mind the tri bars and got really used to them.   I bought a "correct size" tri bike at the end of 2008, after some sales pressure.  I was so unhappy and uncomfortable.  I could never get fit the right way, no matter who tried. I was slower on that than on my too large road bike.  My boobs always got in the way of getting me truly aero.  I found that I use oxygen better when I am a little upright so I bought a carbon road bike and have happily had her at tri's.  She is not intimidated because she doesn't have horns like the rest of the devil bikes there.  Her name is Angel and she can handle herself when all those tri devils make fun of her. 

Bottom line, if you are able, get a pre-fit, preferably computer/video based, so that a reputable store can tell you what kind of bike will fit you best and what they can do with the bike to help you achieve the most power from your engine.  The worst thing you can do is to buy a bike and then not be able to "fit" it.  Go to a LBS that sells many brands so you are not locked in to just one brand option.  Check local bike forums to see who does a really good pre-fit and can offer suggestions if your bike that you have now will benefit from clip ons.  Warning: its hard to find honest, really honest, bike salesmen. 

Edited by jogo 2011-12-30 5:26 PM
2011-12-30 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3962702

User image

Master
Orlando
jogo - 2011-12-30 5:13 PM

Ann-Marie

Yanti said it best somewhere that I'm too lazy to search through the posts.  Concentrate more on your engine and less on your bike.  If you want tri bars, try them. I had them on my old road bike through my 1st season.  The road bike was too big for me but I didn't mind the tri bars and got really used to them.   I bought a "correct size" tri bike at the end of 2008, after some sales pressure.  I was so unhappy and uncomfortable.  I could never get fit the right way, no matter who tried. I was slower on that than on my too large road bike.  My boobs always got in the way of getting me truly aero.  I found that I use oxygen better when I am a little upright so I bought a carbon road bike and have happily had her at tri's.  She is not intimidated because she doesn't have horns like the rest of the devil bikes there.  Her name is Angel and she can handle herself when all those tri devils make fun of her. 

Bottom line, if you are able, get a pre-fit, preferably computer/video based, so that a reputable store can tell you what kind of bike will fit you best and what they can do with the bike to help you achieve the most power from your engine.  The worst thing you can do is to buy a bike and then not be able to "fit" it.  Go to a LBS that sells many brands so you are not locked in to just one brand option.  Check local bike forums to see who does a really good pre-fit and can offer suggestions if your bike that you have now will benefit from clip ons.  Warning: its hard to find honest, really honest, bike salesmen. 

Good advice, thanks.  I had a fit done for my road bike.  The fitter is really professional and although I later found out he is also associated with a LBS, he never pressured me into any brand.  I'll go back to him whether I get a tri bike or put on clip ons.

Do you do HIM or longer on your road bike sans aero bars?  As I posted, I felt like odd man out without them during the HIM i did last month.  It was also very windy (15-20 mph sustained wind) and I envied those who were able to stay aero most of the way.  The bike wore me out and made my run a rather unhappy experience   I know the engine needs work, but I didn't think it needed that much work!

Ann-Marie

2011-12-30 8:07 PM

User image

Pug Palace

I hope posting this picture works.  My pugs and I.  Disney on the left giving me stink eye and Parker my mostly blind rescue pug on the right. Oh and I (Chris) in the middle.  AND much to the chagrin of my family my white Christmas tree in the background, I love it, it makes so darn happy.

Edited by wagonnatri 2011-12-30 8:08 PM

2011-12-30 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3958747

User image

Pug Palace

NEdaynow - 2011-12-29 5:33 PM Chris -- WTH is a river fitness class?? Do tell!

This answer is for Yanti too.

River Fitness Class is held in the lazy river portion of the pool at my Y. Using the resistance of the water/river you do a series of intervals, strength & resistance, core & ab workout, cardio, it builds your endurance, and overall strength.  It is fun and different, I really enjoy it.  I tell you what doing those exercises against the strong current of the river is challenging, water socks are a must, or you slip and slide. I didn't realize how hard of a work out it was until I got out of the pool after my first class and had total noodle like legs on land. 

2011-12-30 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

today I took the leap - I decided to check out a gym.  There are two within warm-up running distance from my house but this being my first night in a gym in probably over a year I decided to drive there.  My intentions were to speak with a staff member about a membership, hopefully get a free day to workout, and sign up for a membership.  In reality I walked in the guest entrance, passed the desk where nobody was working, and passed the one other guy in the gym.  Ran on the treadmill for about 30 minutes, walked around to see the place, and left.  Secret Gym!!!

I kept it about 12min/mile pace average.  Triaya pointed out my wisdom for not risking injury - well I suffered a lost month a few years back during my half iron training because I thought a long run (10mi) a day after a long bike ride (60~mi) was a good idea.  I was hobbling home but my knee clicked for about a month and a half and hurt for a month of that.  My uncle told me to completely stop working out my lower body at that intensity until I felt like I had been healed for a week. 

I'm loving the rush i'm getting from this immersion.  I like that the mentor of this group is actually responding to my posts. I like reading everyone elses posts.  Maybe it's just the runner's high that I haven't felt for years though.

Please friend me on spotify and share your workout playlists with me.  And if you don't have it I HIGHLY reccomend it.

2011-12-30 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3959450

User image

Pug Palace
'
TriAya - 2011-12-30 6:45 AM
kgore - 2011-12-29 5:35 AM

Hey all! I am planning to do a small run tonight--just two miles or so...My running base is somewhat pathetic. I have 'done' a 10k --but there was a lot of walking involved--my time for that ended up being 1hr 15 min. Don't get me wrong, I was actually quite happy with that time! In any case, my average pace is 11-12 min/mile...I would like to get to a 9-10 min/mile. So should I just RUN more, or sprint occasionally, aim for mileage, or aim for speed, or just increase time on the run? I will be getting coached starting in January, but I like to hear all types of ideas to better formulate my chosen plans.

Also, I just recently acquired new aerobars/handlebars (through BT, no less!)--I need to get gear switches for the bars, but apart from that, they are ready to go--question is, I have a lower level road bike (Trek 1.1, 2010)---is it even worth attaching the bars to it? I already know that I will need to upgrade  the crankset/gears (??? sorry my bike lingo kinda sucks)--as I can only get the bike to go so fast--I can get it to 15mph regularly, but even on the heaviest gear, I am spinning so much that I am 'bouncing' so I don't get much more speed than that! So, fellow manatees, should I work on upgrading what I have or just start saving towards an all around better bike?

Thanks!Smile

The key to improvement in running speed is VOLUME. Run more, more often. The recommendation from gurus (and everyone who's tried it) is if you really want to improve running, you need to be running 5-7x/week. What you do is take the total weekly volume you are currently doing and break that up into, say, 5 runs. Then you keep adding a little more a week (occasionally incorporating a pull-back week with lower volume).

And it doesn't matter what speed (at first) ... and that'll be self-limiting, since the faster you go, the less you can run, and the more recovery time you need. It's fine, and I'd say even good, to incorporate periodic higher efforts--say, run up a hill or every so often, go faster for 5-10s. Or at the end of a longer run, do the last mile at race pace (for the race you're training for. Not a shorter one).

Most of the running should be done easy (the "hold a conversation" pace). A general guide is that when you're finished with a run, you could turn around and do it again. (Not necessarily long runs, but those you should still be able to easily go, say, a couple miles more).

The longer version and full explanations of all of that is right here:

***REQUIRED READING FOR EVERYONE BELOW

http://thoughtsofrandomme.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-philosophy-of-running.html

Details on how to get faster in running written by BT's (and several other forums) Scout7, who knows more about running than anyone on this forum (and most other forums, and most coaches).

I am a few days behind on the forum posts.  I had to pack up my oldest son who flew to visit his Dad in FL for the remainder of his college break.  Next I had to pack up my youngest son and take him back to SU today.  Total chaos at the Pug Palace the last couple of days, CRAZY.  

Great information on running thanks for sharing Yanti.  I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I am learning so much from all of you.  Still SO much to learn. 

My first goal for 2012 is to clean up my diet. I would like to drop 15-20 pounds before the summer.  In addition to putting away Christmas decorations tomorrow after my morning run I will be pitching all the junk food, baked goodies, and holiday candy my sons left behind. 

What do some of your daily training diets look like?  What do you eat?

2011-12-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3962676

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
amd723 - 2011-12-30 2:50 PM
stampinann - 2011-12-30 3:34 PM

Background:

Question:

Thanks!

Ann

Do you make your shake with water or milk?  I can't take milk before a workout -even 3 hours before- so I would have to either make it with water or find something else.

Ann-Marie

I use 1/2 cup h20 and 1/2 cup low fat milk- good idea - I'll just do h20 this first week and see! The a gel b4 swim-Thanks
2011-12-30 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3962945

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
jtaddei - 2011-12-30 9:29 PM

Please friend me on spotify and share your workout playlists with me.  And if you don't have it I HIGHLY reccomend it.

Done!  I finally had to look it up and to add someone you do spotify:user:username so I put in spotify:user:jtaddei.  To add me it would be spotify:user:jmkizer.

2011-12-30 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3962726

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
amd723 - 2011-12-30 6:34 PM
jogo - 2011-12-30 5:13 PM

Good advice, thanks.  I had a fit done for my road bike.  The fitter is really professional and although I later found out he is also associated with a LBS, he never pressured me into any brand.  I'll go back to him whether I get a tri bike or put on clip ons.

Do you do HIM or longer on your road bike sans aero bars?  As I posted, I felt like odd man out without them during the HIM i did last month.  It was also very windy (15-20 mph sustained wind) and I envied those who were able to stay aero most of the way.  The bike wore me out and made my run a rather unhappy experience   I know the engine needs work, but I didn't think it needed that much work!

Ann-Marie

Ann-Marie, I have never done longer than a sprint tri.  I have done many tours and and one evil event that I thought was a tour that turned out to be 75 miles of hills from hell with no nutrition or aid stations.  The fastest I have ever been in an event was on my too-big road bike with the aero bars.  The slowest was on the tri bike.  I do go into the drops and tuck down in windy situations.  I just am not that powerful when I am tucked plus I have neck issues so it hurt me to crank my neck up to look ahead.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.  This may be my year to try a longer event.  I am toying with it.  If I do I will definitely be on the road bike.  Just like diets, not everything works for everyone.  I am a very well-endowed woman so I have to make adjustments for being overly blessed.  

Edited by jogo 2011-12-30 10:39 PM
2011-12-30 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

In need of some quick mentoring.  I am scheduled for a Barre Plus class (ballet barre evilness + pilates + low weight high reps= hardest fricking workout that takes into Zone 4 with HR and kicks my butt) at 9:30a.m.   I am registered for an 8k at 2:30pm.   Is 4 hours between a hard cross training workout and a race enough or should I skip the Barre class?  

My goal for the 8k is to go 59:59.  I want to break an hour on a hilly, maybe icy course.  I did 1:01 last year at this race.  The longest I've run in since Oct. 30, at any one time is 3.2 miles.  I am usually a comfortable 11:15 min/mile pace for an easy 5 mile training run so this is not much of a stretch.

I am doing the run.  Should I really just kick 2011's butt and go for the Barre too?  

Edited by jogo 2011-12-30 10:54 PM
2011-12-30 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3962918

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
wagonnatri - 2011-12-30 8:07 PM

I hope posting this picture works.  My pugs and I.  Disney on the left giving me stink eye and Parker my mostly blind rescue pug on the right. Oh and I (Chris) in the middle.  AND much to the chagrin of my family my white Christmas tree in the background, I love it, it makes so darn happy.

I love everything about this...pugs, white christmas trees, thank you!

2011-12-31 12:16 AM

User image

Regular
Salem
Has anybody created a quick link list for all the Manatee's yet?  I dont know if I have missed it....or if one has been posted.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69