BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-12-27 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3956222

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
CyborgQueen - 2011-12-27 4:03 PM

I'm gonna ask the ladies -

I'm getting married in September (woot!), and I wanted to know how I can keep my Triathlon tan lines to a minimum? I will have straps.  So far, my arms looks pretty tan, but my neck area is very light, due to not wearing a lot of racerback style shirts/no triathlons, etc. All the lines are caused by cycling.  Legs, I don't care, you ain't gonna see them.

I know it's bad, but I normally do not put sunblock/lotion (with exception on my face and lips) Only because I feel like it's "heavy", after a while, it gets "sticky".  Unless if there's a product that's guarantee that won't cause issues even for the most pickiest person. I'm so sensitive to anything that I put on my skin (not allergic sensitive, just tactile sensitive).

A friend suggested that I put 30-50 spf, and just get out there and do what I can do, then when the wedding roll around, I can get a spray tan, go to the tanning booth a couple times to even it out, however, she's not a triathlete. 

Any suggestions? :-D

Not sure what you should do, but it reminds me of my wedding.  I was a lifeguard and got married in August.  I just tried wearing lots of different swimsuits with different strap styles.  I was very tan by the time August rolled around, but the tan marks weren't too horrible.  I guess riding topless is out of the question ... hehee...

2011-12-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3956387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robingray_260 - 2011-12-27 5:37 PM

I'm getting married in September (woot!), and I wanted to know how I can keep my Triathlon tan lines to a minimum? I will have straps.  So far, my arms looks pretty tan, but my neck area is very light, due to not wearing a lot of racerback style shirts/no triathlons, etc. All the lines are caused by cycling.  Legs, I don't care, you ain't gonna see them.

I know it's bad, but I normally do not put sunblock/lotion (with exception on my face and lips) Only because I feel like it's "heavy", after a while, it gets "sticky".  Unless if there's a product that's guarantee that won't cause issues even for the most pickiest person. I'm so sensitive to anything that I put on my skin (not allergic sensitive, just tactile sensitive).

A friend suggested that I put 30-50 spf, and just get out there and do what I can do, then when the wedding roll around, I can get a spray tan, go to the tanning booth a couple times to even it out, however, she's not a triathlete. 

Not sure what you should do, but it reminds me of my wedding.  I was a lifeguard and got married in August.  I just tried wearing lots of different swimsuits with different strap styles.  I was very tan by the time August rolled around, but the tan marks weren't too horrible.  I guess riding topless is out of the question ... hehee...

Certainly cutting edge but not out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

2011-12-27 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3955509

User image

Veteran
Georgia
kenj - 2011-12-27 1:19 PM
IceManScott - 2011-12-27 12:59 PM

Wesley12 - 2011-12-27 11:25 AM With my work schedule and training for a 1/2 in May and IMFl in Nov., I'm going to have to buy a trainer in the next week or two.  I don't mind running in the dark but i don't think I want to do much riding in the dark.  Any suggestions on what to look for in a trainer? 

CycleOps Fluid Trainer is the top of the fluid trainer line.  Whatever brand, I recommend the fluid trainers.  They can recreate any road situation. 

I agree on the CycleOps trainer.  Kurt Kinetic also has some that are very good too.

I think I am on every tri store e-mail list so if I see any deals soon I will let you know!

I have a Kurt Kinetic and it works out great.. It doesnt bother the family while I ride and they are watching T.V.

2011-12-27 7:07 PM
in reply to: #3954761

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2011-12-27 6:13 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-26 10:49 PM

Focus:  High Cadance

Are you measuring cadence to going by feel?

What is everyone's usual cadence?  I am a bit of a low cadence thrasher, but am trying to lighten the load a bit.  Reportedly Lance will often spin at 130ish.  I would not be a fan of this, but obviously I will never be a 7 time Tour winner!

Any opinions on optimal bike cadence?

R

My avg cadence on the bike is 90 to 95..also on the run/running at a higher cadence helps you land more on the midfoot strike..I was reading some where that 180 foot strikes per minute was the optimum cadence for running..I bought a mini metronome to help with my running cadence.. If you run to music you can Google songs for high cadence running download them and run to the beat..

2011-12-27 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3956286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 4:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com/2011/11/ironman-florida-ironman-distance-date.html

As part of my closure for 2011, I wanted to finish up my Race Report from Ironman Florida.  As you can imagine it was not easy to write, but I really want to release what happened there and free myself up for what is to be in 2012.  

Hey Carla, did you figure out why you felt less than optimum for the bike?  Maybe taper issue or nutrition?  The swim sounds like it sucked.  I started way to the right and didn't plan to fight with anyone for position around the first buoy and even the second (Wis. is a long rectangle with two short sides.)  Then I moved in when I could.  Never got touched.  I was roughed up more in an Olympic tri.  The jelly fish ....jeez.  Enough on your mind and then that.  I have no doubt you'll figure it out.  The big thing is to focus on the fact you already did one.  You will do another.  

2011-12-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3955341

Subject: RE: Question for anyone that struggled with the swim
russrisher - 2011-12-27 9:18 AM

The Swim is by far my weakest discipline.

I've tried TI and it improved, but I still haven't had that "AH HA" moment.  The biggest issue is around my breathing, which I still am having trouble with, and I get winded very quickly.

My question is for anyone that had a similar struggle.  Is there anything specific that got you over the hump?

I am in the same boat.  Can't figure out how to successfully incorporate breathing, kicking and stroke.  Can get very disappointing.

PM

2011-12-27 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3943039

Subject: No idea what happened but what a great day!

No idea what happened today.  Only ran a couple miles yesterday, very low key.  Went to the Portland Trail Blazers game last night (great game....beat the 76ers) and was sitting next to a big guy which forced me to lean on my right side (or should I say cheek) to watch the game with my wife.  Pretty uncomfortable but it was fine.  By the time I got home, my back was a little sore but didn't think anything of it.  When I woke up this morning, I had to crawl out of bed.  Can't stay in one position for too long and am in PAIN.  I managed to get myself to work but this is horrible.  I am giving it over night before I go to the Dr., but I am sure I am out of commission for the week.

The reason why I say it was a great day is that my wife just let me know we are expecting!  I know I shouldn't be talking about it until she is at least 12 weeks but I gotta tell someone.  Ok everyone...keep the secret! 

PM

PM

2011-12-27 9:06 PM

New user
Walterboro

Two more trainer questions:

1. Is there some way of knowing how far you've riden?  I'm very distance oriented.  I like to know how far I've been and my average speed.  Just started a master's swim class tonight and I usually judge my swim by my average 100 yd time.  Not able to do that tonight and it's driving me a little nuts.  Guess I'll have to get over that because it was a great swim work-out.

2. I have a specialized road bike with aero-bars and a cervelo tri-bike.  I think I know the answer.  Would it be too much difference if I put my road bike on the trainer instead of my tri-bike.  I can ride pretty much year round where I live but I'm going to need the trainer because I will have to be riding at night over the next few months.  After April I'll be back outside riding full time.  Not sure what is involved in getting set up on the trainer.  

2011-12-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3956684

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: No idea what happened but what a great day!
pmitch - 2011-12-27 8:56 PM

No idea what happened today.  Only ran a couple miles yesterday, very low key.  Went to the Portland Trail Blazers game last night (great game....beat the 76ers) and was sitting next to a big guy which forced me to lean on my right side (or should I say cheek) to watch the game with my wife.  Pretty uncomfortable but it was fine.  By the time I got home, my back was a little sore but didn't think anything of it.  When I woke up this morning, I had to crawl out of bed.  Can't stay in one position for too long and am in PAIN.  I managed to get myself to work but this is horrible.  I am giving it over night before I go to the Dr., but I am sure I am out of commission for the week.

The reason why I say it was a great day is that my wife just let me know we are expecting!  I know I shouldn't be talking about it until she is at least 12 weeks but I gotta tell someone.  Ok everyone...keep the secret! 

PM

PM

CONGRATS!!!!!! oh I mean congrats! yeah!

Wow - what great news - is this your first (can't remember from your write up)? - make sure you stretch lots and lots - it will help.

Edited by robingray_260 2011-12-27 9:32 PM
2011-12-27 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3956704

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Wesley12 - 2011-12-27 9:06 PM

1. Is there some way of knowing how far you've riden?  I'm very distance oriented.  I like to know how far I've been and my average speed.  Just started a master's swim class tonight and I usually judge my swim by my average 100 yd time.  Not able to do that tonight and it's driving me a little nuts.  Guess I'll have to get over that because it was a great swim work-out.

2. I have a specialized road bike with aero-bars and a cervelo tri-bike.  I think I know the answer.  Would it be too much difference if I put my road bike on the trainer instead of my tri-bike.  I can ride pretty much year round where I live but I'm going to need the trainer because I will have to be riding at night over the next few months.  After April I'll be back outside riding full time.  Not sure what is involved in getting set up on the trainer.  

You will need a bike computer with an extra gizmo on the back wheel - it will let you measure cadence, speed and distance.  I have a cateye strada which I like but is a challenge to keep the back sensor mounted correctly - I pretty much have to adjust it before every ride.

As for which bike you should use - the one that  will get you on the trainer for a workout, all else equal probably the tribike.

2011-12-27 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3956441

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
IceManScott - 2011-12-27 5:26 PM
robingray_260 - 2011-12-27 5:37 PM

Certainly cutting edge but not out of the question as far as I'm concerned.

That made me laugh Tongue out

2011-12-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: #3956729

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-12-27 8:20 PM

PM

PM

CONGRATS!!!!!! oh I mean congrats! yeah!

Wow - what great news - is this your first (can't remember from your write up)? - make sure you stretch lots and lots - it will help.

Yes,  congratulations (whispering). 

2011-12-28 1:26 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

pmitch- Congrats! Will this be your first? (couldn't remember from your bio)

Carla- Great blog post. The jellyfish thing was crazy- that would have really freaked me out. Love your determination and perserverance. 2012 will be your year!

2011-12-28 2:21 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Went shopping today & got some healthy food for the fridge. Tomorrow's menu includes salad & baked fish. Also on the agenda is clearing out a space in my garage for my trainer to "live". Hopefully if everything is all set up & ready to go, I will be more likely to regularly do it. I have a few DVDs (one is a Spinverals) that a friend lent me. Hopefuly I can get the ball rolling on this tomorrow. Might as well make the kids help me take down the tree while I'm at it.

Edited by jpbis26 2011-12-28 2:22 AM
2011-12-28 5:11 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
pmitch - 2011-12-27 10:56 PM

PM

PM

Congratulations!!  

2011-12-28 5:19 AM
in reply to: #3956704

User image

Expert
Canada
Wesley12 - 2011-12-27 11:06 PM

I have a roadie & a TT bike as well.  I put the roadie on the trainer, mostly for comfort.  Many would say, use your TT bike as it may help getting used to aero.

The only hassle I have putting the bike on trainer is my trainer suggests removing rear skewer to put their skewer in.  It it steel & fits in better & able to be dialled in better.  I like because I think it will protect the carbon of the bike.  First time I did it, I removed rear wheel completely.  Am a little better now & able to do just by dropping it, with chain still on cassette.  Much cleaner & only takes a couple minutes.

Either way, if you are leaving it for a couple months, shouldn't matter

Richard

2011-12-28 5:38 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 4:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

http://carlalthompson.blogspot.com/2011/11/ironman-florida-ironman-distance-date.html

As part of my closure for 2011, I wanted to finish up my Race Report from Ironman Florida.  As you can imagine it was not easy to write, but I really want to release what happened there and free myself up for what is to be in 2012.  

This is an amazing transcript of an incredibly difficult day in your life. Beautiful work, I enjoyed reading it.

2011-12-28 5:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

PM

PM

So sorry about the back pain but holy cow, CONGRATULATIONS on the baby news!!! 

2011-12-28 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3956940

User image

Expert

Congrats on the baby! I am in the same boat right now. I have had some back issues due to a car accident in 2000. I think that your position at the game caused your muscles to lock up to protect your spine. As long as you don't do anything silly in the next day or too it will let go.

CARLA - I read your blog post and felt so bad. I was a serious professional diver for a while. The "pink Meanie" is a portugese man of war and it would have ended your day had you been stung. I admire your attitude. It is inspiring.

2011-12-28 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
pmitch - 2011-12-27 6:56 PM

PM

PM

This happens to me when I ride the bus and have to lean to the side for the entire ride home to avoid overly friendly contact with the person next to me. My back will ache SO bad! My ache seems to go away within a day or two. Good luck 'cause I know it hurts!
2011-12-28 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 2:35 PM2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

Carla, what a great and insightful write-up. Jellyfish and jelly legs do not make a good IM combo. you peg it when you note IMFL 2011 is only a snapshot in time. Your incredible focus and determination will help you tear up the ourselves in 2012!!

2011-12-28 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Congratulations on the baby!  Far out!

I use a titanium road bike on the trainer.  It is bomb proof.

I don't count miles any more except on long rides.  On the trainer, it is all about time. 

Hang with the swimming.  Swimming can be intimidating for sure.  I really suggest masters swimming asso if you have it.  Great group, very welcoming to triathletes and they have great coaching and it's cheap.  Swimming is all about learning the right form and practice, practice, practice.   I used to be on the high school swim team - still have that body suit with the stripes we used to wear ;/ - but that was all about sprint.  My masters coach took me and had me swimming a mile in 6 weeks.  I'm a middle of the pack swimming - IM was 1:35 for the 2.4 miles.  Adequate time and I got out of the water pretty fresh but I'm not setting records. I am going to practice stroke efficiency this year and take some semi-private lessons from a tri coach.  $25 for an hour for four people.  He's worked wonders with friends just tweaking things.  I'm sure I still bull doze my way through mostly so learning to turn from side to side better, reach better, and glide...that's the name of the game for me.  Probably go from 2X a week to 3X in the pool.  Everything I've read says that extra time is critical and I know it from experience for a fact.  When I work in a swim on Saturday after a brick on the bike and run, it shows up on race day. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-12-28 8:30 AM
2011-12-28 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3956387

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-12-27 6:37 PM

That would be my suggestion too!

Seriously though, my wife used to spend a lot of time in the sun (she's from Florida) and then in tanning booths after moving to the north, she develeped a melanoma.  After watching what she went through from the surgery to the treatment to prevent it (hopefully) from spreading, I have become a huge advocate of using lots of high spf sun screen. 

2011-12-28 8:17 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2011-12-27 5:35 PM 2011 Ironman Florida Race Report
"Life after DNF"

Very well written Carla!  Reading it brought back some of my memories of the course from 2010.  Especially your description of the road on the section towards special needs and the half way point. 

Jelly fish were a concern of mine in 2010 and will be again this year.

Now it is time to use what you learned and move forward to 2012!  This will be your year!

2011-12-28 8:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
pmitch - 2011-12-27 9:56 PM

PM

PM

Wow! This is a first for my mentor groups!  What an announcement!! Your secret is safe with me.  CONGRATULATIONS to you and your wife, thats great!

I hope your back is doing better this morning!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72