BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-06-12 6:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Deleted - double post

Edited by arquillo 2013-06-12 7:37 AM

2013-06-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: arquillo

atlanta
I am the one holding the trophy, the game ended in a sideways downpour where the other team couldn't get the ball past half field because of the wind (and our stingy defense). time to get back into beastmode after gaining two pounds since sunday.
2013-06-13 10:18 AM
in reply to: jackflash

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey all!  Summer has arrived a week early hereSmile.  Temps near 100 and high humidity the last 2 days although we're getting a bit of a break for the next couple - highs only in the 80's.  And our A/C needs to be replaced.  We knew it was dying but were hoping to get through one more year.  Doesn't look like it's going to happen.  It's an expense we didn't need right now but don't really have much choice. 

I think I'm going to do a July 4th run - just a 5k but I need something on the calendar to shoot for.  It'll give me some motivation to get outside for my runs in the heat instead of falling back on the TM.

2013-06-13 1:20 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by soccermom15

Hey all!  Summer has arrived a week early hereSmile.  Temps near 100 and high humidity the last 2 days although we're getting a bit of a break for the next couple - highs only in the 80's.  And our A/C needs to be replaced.  We knew it was dying but were hoping to get through one more year.  Doesn't look like it's going to happen.  It's an expense we didn't need right now but don't really have much choice. 

I think I'm going to do a July 4th run - just a 5k but I need something on the calendar to shoot for.  It'll give me some motivation to get outside for my runs in the heat instead of falling back on the TM.

Sorry about the AC- that sucks. 

4th of July run sounds fun. I need to get something on the calander too!!!

2013-06-13 1:22 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I feel your pain on the heat!  A 4th of July run sounds cool... wear red, white, and blue!!!
2013-06-13 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
It's cold and rainy here. I'm sure we'll get more hot and humid soon.

My swim from last night and the last few have been quite encouraging. I feel like I've found a bit of my speed. I was stuck at a steady 1:40-1:45 / 100 meters for most sets prior to these last few. Now I can do most around 1:35/100 meters. My arms get a bit fatigued eventually, but it feels like the strength I'm gaining with strength work is helping somehow. Also, my push offs have more power.

So week 15 (out of 16) of swimming 2x per week (most weeks) and now it's going to end for summer. I'm hoping to swim a few Friday nights at the lake with a tri group. Maybe do some sort of "laps" in the 50 meter pool my son will be practicing in 5 days per week in July (and last week of June). The youngest group that he was in last year swims across the pool leaving 30 or so meters that are used by all non-swim team people. I'll have to figure out a way to maintain some swim fitness. The practices should start up again in the Fall.

I'm thinking about doing an open water swim (lake) event Labor Day weekend. I think it has 1/2 mile, 1.5 mile and 3 mile events. Swimming is really my strength. My running and biking are well below average.

Edited by rustymom 2013-06-14 6:19 AM

2013-06-13 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
OY to the heat, humidity, and broken AC! We had a real blast of summer for a couple of days, then some major thunderstorms and thus today was much more pleasant. But more heat to come, methinks... Speaking of water, I got a new wetsuit today, hurray-- a Blueseventy Fusion, which fits me much better in the body length and arm manoeuverability than my old XTerra does. Looking forward to an OWS to try it out! In the meantime, my plan calls for an Oly this weekend, and without one in reasonable distance from here, I'll put together my own: swim at the pool, bike back here, jump on the trainer, then run after that. If nothing else, will give me some testing grounds for my nutrition and at least a vague sense of how fitness is progressing...here's hoping the weather cooperates, natch! Hope all you Beasties have a lovely end to the week!
2013-06-14 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

I got my bike pedals today!! AND: I signed up for the Santa Rosa Island Sprint Triathlon!! Yipee!! Now I just need to learn to swim in the ocean, sound like I need to schedule some beach trips Cool

I have a question regarding that, beach trips to practice. I would love to bring my bike and practice riding there too- beautiful sea shore with bike lanes-Anyway, I have a cheep bike-rack (Walmart) so it would be easy to just take that whole thing off the car. How can I prevent someone from NOT stealing my bike when I am not on it (say I'm swimming)?

Actually I would love to do a practice tri like Alex is doing for her Oly, so that would be even longer to leave the bike.

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-14 3:17 PM
2013-06-14 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Melody, that question came up at a bike clinic I went to and the suggestion was to get a cable lock and run it through your frame and wheels and there should be something under the rear bumper to run it through so you can lock it to the car. I'm not sure what's under there, I haven't looked, but worth checking out.Congrats on the new pedals and so glad you are going to do the tri! I have no ocean swimming advice, all of ours are in lakes.
2013-06-14 9:07 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Meljoypip

I have a question regarding that, beach trips to practice. I would love to bring my bike and practice riding there too- beautiful sea shore with bike lanes-Anyway, I have a cheep bike-rack (Walmart) so it would be easy to just take that whole thing off the car. How can I prevent someone from NOT stealing my bike when I am not on it (say I'm swimming)?

befriend someone who lives or has a shop near the beach
2013-06-14 9:37 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
What do you think about taking the front tire off and putting it in the backseat of my car? I'm not sure it would fit, but it might with the wheel off. I drive a Honda Accord.

2013-06-14 9:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Double post :/

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-14 9:38 PM
2013-06-15 4:22 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY

What do you think about taking the front tire off and putting it in the backseat of my car? I'm not sure it would fit, but it might with the wheel off. I drive a Honda Accord.

I successfully fit both a tri bike and a road bike in the backseat of my Civic by taking the front tire off. Just make sure that you watch which side the chain is on so you don't get grease on your seats...not that I would have learned this through experience or anything.
2013-06-15 4:25 AM
in reply to: Sulcus

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
And "hi" everyone! Sorry I disappeared after my illness. Much too easy to get caught up in life and make excuses not to do something, like exercise. I have now signed up for a race and made a bet with my wife whether I will finish or not so I will be around much more to annoy you all.

Now, I am off to catch up on this thread!
2013-06-15 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Originally posted by Sulcus

I successfully fit both a tri bike and a road bike in the backseat of my Civic by taking the front tire off. Just make sure that you watch which side the chain is on so you don't get grease on your seats...not that I would have learned this through experience or anything.

Just for clarification - I only fit one at a time. It was only a Civic after all.
2013-06-15 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Wow Andrea, those are some pretty good swim times! The OWS event sounds like a blast. Which distance are you thinking about doing?

Alex, good luck with your mock tri this weekend. Hope the weather holds out for you.

Melody, good luck with the new bike pedals. What kind did you end up getting? And hoooooray for signing up for your next tri!

I can actually fit my bike in my car without taking off any wheels, and my car is fairly small too (Scion tC). One of my training partners fits his whole tri bike in the backseat of his Civic. He stands it upright between the back of the front seats and the front of the back seats. I would whole-heartedly recommend a blanket to cover the spot where the chain might rub though, he has bike grease all over his back seats.

Shawn, welcome back to the forum! We'll certainly do what we can to help you win that bet with your wife.

I'm heading off to northwest Ohio here in a few hours. Sunday is our annual Cleveland Tri Club "club race," which oddly enough will be held in Toledo, Ohio. There are over 50 of us racing and we'll all be decked out in our fancy new CTC kits - should be a blast! Club picnic this evening, and race tomorrow morning. SOOOO excited - first tri of the year!

Best of luck to everyone else racing this weekend!

2013-06-15 8:34 AM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Melody, the bike should fit in the car for sure with the front wheel off... do your back seats go down?  you might be able to fit it in lying down through the trunk without taking off the rear wheel that way...

Welcome back Shawn!!  What he neglected to tell y'all is that his wife has come up with a reward for doing his tri, he's also come up with a punishment if he doesn't do it... hmmmm, but he hasn't shared what those are, but it must be pretty good incentive.

Good luck to Michelle on her tri in her new tri kit... I want pics!!  I just printed myself out a 6 week schedule taking me up to my July 28th tri.  I used the Custom Plan maker here at BT... this used to be only available to Gold members, but I guess now everyone can use it?  It's awesome, you get to pick how many days per week you want to do each sport, what your estimated race paces are, and if you want to build for 2 or 3 weeks and then have a recovery week, and then you can drag each sport onto a calendar and print it out!  I put in 3 swims/4 bikes/ 5 runs and still managed a rest day... all doubles with only a long run on one day and 3 on another.  I figure I can use the bike and run as a brick on those days... AND it prints out in all pretty colors too!

So Andrea, which OWS are you going for?  3 miles is a long time in the water for  a continuous swim!

Happy Father's Day to all our Dads out there in Beastie Land!!

2013-06-16 6:31 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Hildebeast

So Andrea, which OWS are you going for?  3 miles is a long time in the water for  a continuous swim!

I'm thinking about the 1.5 mile swim probably. We'll see. This is the first year that we'll be in town on Labor day weekend in a while. We usually go to my Mom's beach house, but will be there for a week in late Aug instead.

Cub scout camp out Friday night makes for a very low key Saturday to recover. Today I'm all stuffed up. Allergies again, ugh. May take a bike ride (on my hybrid) with my son today.
2013-06-16 6:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Michelle - I hope you have  blast at your race today- AND PR of course!!!

Hilde- I saw the custom plan maker- I think I am going to use it too!!

I am going to try and attach a pic of my bike rack. Yesterday on the way to LBS (1 1/2 hours away) the back of my bike way sliding out away from the car no matter how I tried to tie it to frame. Second time I pulled over, I took  the wheel off and put in back seat, I was not chancing it flying off the back of the car. (thanks, your advice gave me the confidence to do this) I'm not sure if it is just a crapy bike carrier or if I do not know how to use correctly.

on a sad note.... I miss my bike!!! it was like dropping one of the kids off somewhere for a week, when they were little and I missed them, sniff sniff... miss my bike!!! This is me and my bike in my front yard lol, can you tell I live in the woods?? I have not named my bike, though I do think of it as a her, but I have read of this (naming bikes) have any of you named yours?

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-16 6:49 AM

(me holding bike.jpg)

(bike rack.jpg)

(bike.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
me holding bike.jpg (174KB - 13 downloads)
bike rack.jpg (127KB - 11 downloads)
bike.jpg (10KB - 9 downloads)
2013-06-16 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

And of course, if you're a BEAST, then your're even MORE awesome!!

Love your bike, Meloday!  My first road bike was a Giant and did me well... my bikes have all had names, my current bike was originally named the Dominatrix, but has now fondly become the Beastie bike... 

I have a friend that uses a similar bike rack, and I think she ties her bike down to the rack somehow so it doesn't move all around.  I would just experiment, being careful that the bike frame is not rubbing on either the car or something so that neither the car nor the bike get scratched up.  You could at least bungee or tie the front wheel to one of the pedals which would keep it from moving back and forth.  If your wheel is on there correctly, there's little chance it should come flying off!!  And don't worry, your bike will be back soon enough and will be all fixed up!!!

2013-06-16 10:02 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Wow.  Lots of things going on for everybody.  I got in a nice run yesterday and good bike today.

Melody -- yeah on your pedals AND your bike rack.  Great picture.  We have managed to fit a single bike on our cars with the seats down if needed.  But, like Shawn said, be careful of the chain getting grease everywhere.

Michelle -- hope you had a great race.

Alex -- how did your custom homegrown OLY go?  I need to think about doing something like this in a month or so.

Andrea -- your swim times are really impressive.  I hope you do the 1.5 mile swim.  That seems like a terrific distance.  Long enough for a really good challenge.

Janet -- we also had to get a new AC unit.  Thank goodness it is done.  My house was starting to feel like a jungle with the humidity.  No telling what is now growing in my downstairs carpet and closets.

Custom plan -- I put one of these together too.  This was my first week to start.  I didn't quite get off to the start I wanted.  A total 2 hours shy of what was planned.  But that's the way it goes.  I hope to have a better week starting tomorrow.

2013-06-16 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Here's a picture of my bike... Her name is Tess. I bought her a little over a year ago and am totally in love!

(9275.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
9275.jpg (53KB - 10 downloads)
2013-06-16 10:09 AM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
sorry, i attempted to upload a "real" photo of my bike but apparently it was too large. this keeps happening to me with the BT website, annoying!! so had to go with a generic pic instead. :-/
2013-06-16 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Kristen, VERY nice bike- I love it!!!

OK, I christen my bike, Arya.

This is after Arya Stark; I just started reading the Games of Thrones series and she is one of my favorites so far. She's definitely a beast, or will be if she grows up, these characters are vicious.

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-16 3:19 PM
2013-06-16 7:46 PM

User image

New user
OWS area, 15 minute drive

(IMG_0816.JPG)

(IMG_0813.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0816.JPG (116KB - 12 downloads)
IMG_0813.JPG (96KB - 10 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29