BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-13 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4724546

Hudson Valley Region
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

I might be heading down to OBX at some point this summer. Anyone have any experience riding down there? Should I leave my bike home?

Thanks!

-Mark

2013-05-13 1:56 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV

Wow you miss a day you miss a lot with this group, I took yesterday off. It's amazing how a little kids party just zaps your energy.

Suzy-glad your okay

Melissa- I'm totally jealous it would be so cool to ride the Queen K

Everyone that raced- Pretty amazing results from the year over year results

Everone else- looks like some good training this weekend

As far as tri-shorts go I have some 2XU compression shorts and love them, but I usually train in gym shorts so tri-shorts are an upgrade.

I'm excited for my race this weekend but 4, 4hour training sessions at work on our new computer system at work has my schedule all messed up and training kind of off but I'll figure it out hopefully.

2013-05-13 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4739933

User image

Master
South Alabama
SSMinnow - 2013-05-13 11:40 AM

How about a bike question that isn't related to falling?  Does anyone use a Quarq?  I just got the Elsa and I feel like the power readings are really low or sporadic. I looked at my TP file yesterday and it was all over the board and a good 40-60W lower than what I am used to seeing.   I didn't have the same issues with my Powertap with the Joule.   I read about calibration, manual zero and zeroing out, but all of this confuses me.  What's the appropriate calibration step?  I have a 510 that i use for the head unit.

Thanks!

Suzy-not much help here. I have a PT. What I usually hear is that the Quarq and SRM usually measure a little higher in watts than a PT hub since there is some power/energy lost from the crank to the hub. Someone on the main forum or on Slowtwitch might be able to explain it. Have you been using the Quarq and this just happened or is the Quarq a new toy? Something is off somewhere and I suspect it is in the calibration.

Edited by slornow 2013-05-13 2:11 PM
2013-05-13 3:02 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
No quarq information from me either. I'm a Powertap guy.

ST may help you but tread very carefully.......
2013-05-13 4:44 PM

Wow, this is such an active group. Looks like everyone had a productive weekend. Great races to the racers!!

Good to know about tri shorts- since i'm just starting out I won't invest in something I won't use too much down the road!

Suzy- glad to hear you are O.K.

Karla- Enjoy the new puppy!

Got a short 3 mile run in this morning, so the week is off to a good start!

2013-05-13 4:55 PM

User image

Expert

Early morning swim followed by 5.6 tempo run after work.  I actually pushed a bit harder on the last few miles and had a good negative split.  I always feel better after a run when I'm able to pick up the pace and finish stronger on the second half. 

Jim

2013-05-13 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Training question - where in your training do you fit strength? Do you go to the gym and do circuits, or at home, or none at all? i'm trying to figure out what day(s) are best for my schedule.
2013-05-13 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4740614

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

khharms - 2013-05-13 4:57 PM Training question - where in your training do you fit strength? Do you go to the gym and do circuits, or at home, or none at all? i'm trying to figure out what day(s) are best for my schedule.

Strength for me comes in the form of a TRX or Rip Trainer one hour class done at the local fire department.  During the off season, I did it 3-4 times per week.  Now that SBR training is in full force, I've switched to 2 times per week.  The only rule I follow is to make sure I do it after my main SBR workouts for the day.  I'm not a class person at all, but the instructor is so motivating (she's also my swim coach) that I have learned to love it.

2013-05-13 6:25 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Did my first open water swim in my new wetsuit (was a local large spring fed pond where a handful of tri club people swim). I had no expectations...my goal was to get comfortable in open water in a full suit and not panic. I was very successful with that aspect, but I was totally out of gas after only 400 m of swimming. No pool edge on which to rest. I have so much work to do! On a positive note...I love the body position my wetsuit puts me in. They swim every Monday...I will be there next week.
2013-05-13 7:01 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
ok here's another random total newbie question - quick laces - do you guys use them?  Which kind to you prefer?
2013-05-13 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4740758

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

mtnbikerchk - 2013-05-13 7:01 PM ok here's another random total newbie question - quick laces - do you guys use them?  Which kind to you prefer?

Quick laces changed my life, lol! I think I only did one race without them, and i'll never do it again. I use something similar to these: http://www.examiner.com/article/triathlon-transition-series-speed-laces

2013-05-13 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4740706

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
SSMinnow - 2013-05-13 6:16 PM

khharms - 2013-05-13 4:57 PM Training question - where in your training do you fit strength? Do you go to the gym and do circuits, or at home, or none at all? i'm trying to figure out what day(s) are best for my schedule.

Strength for me comes in the form of a TRX or Rip Trainer one hour class done at the local fire department.  During the off season, I did it 3-4 times per week.  Now that SBR training is in full force, I've switched to 2 times per week.  The only rule I follow is to make sure I do it after my main SBR workouts for the day.  I'm not a class person at all, but the instructor is so motivating (she's also my swim coach) that I have learned to love it.

I did one trial TRX class and I couldn't walk the rest of the day, lol! I was thinking of doing some kind of in-home circuit training. I do some cardio classes at the gym already, plus I'll be swimming. I tend to get burned out hiking the kids up there all the time.

2013-05-13 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Strength: The coach has me doing plyos and core once a week, and I'm always doing some kind of strength challenge every month. This month is 50 burpees a day for the month of May. I don't know how much I'd need it for road triathlons, but it helped a lot for Xterra. A strong core and quick reflexes helped keep me on the bike instead of falling crashing through the whole bike course. There was quite a bit of scaling hillsides on the run course too.

2013-05-13 7:47 PM

User image

New user
Hi guys. I did a 1900 yard swim this afternoon, beautiful day for it here in Memphis.

Then I went to puppy class with my little one, first class. Hilarious combination of puppies! Had me thinking of the bar scene from Star Wars! Anybody else remember that?

One of the things I really like about training is even after a full day like today I still feel pretty good. Before I lost weight and started working out I was beat most every night just from work. I really enjoy this more active lifestyle.
2013-05-13 7:48 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Strength training for me includes two days/week of Les Mills Pump (BodyPump is the gym version). I found it really helped my run training when I was prepping for a marathon.
2013-05-13 8:09 PM

Hudson Valley Region

khharms - 2013-05-13 5:57 PM Training question - where in your training do you fit strength? Do you go to the gym and do circuits, or at home, or none at all? i'm trying to figure out what day(s) are best for my schedule.

I lift weights in the gym twice a week.  Right now I'm doing the bare minimum to maintain off-season strength gains while not interfering with s/b/r.

On Tuesdays I do squats and bench press so no running or cycling on Monday. I usually do cycling or running intervals afterward.

On Fridays I do presses and deadlifts. Running right after heavy deadlifts can be a little touchy but I did it last week with no problems.

This is pretty much the same strength training routine I did last season, but simpler. Last year I threw in some crossfit 2-4 times a week but, those just made it easier for me to skip s/b/r ... so they are out this year.

-Mark

2013-05-13 8:17 PM
in reply to: #4740824

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Chunga - 2013-05-13 7:47 PM Hi guys. I did a 1900 yard swim this afternoon, beautiful day for it here in Memphis.

Then I went to puppy class with my little one, first class. Hilarious combination of puppies! Had me thinking of the bar scene from Star Wars! Anybody else remember that?

One of the things I really like about training is even after a full day like today I still feel pretty good. Before I lost weight and started working out I was beat most every night just from work. I really enjoy this more active lifestyle.

Good for you!  

I absolutely loved puppy classes.  Who doesn't want to hang out in a room full of cutie pies?

2013-05-13 8:42 PM

Hudson Valley Region
Subject: volume vs. time

I have a question about running volume.

My easy runs are in the 14-15 min/mile range.  Even at low volumes I'm running for over 30 min. I did a 5K last week that took 45 min.

Because I'm overweight my legs are still taking a beating -- albeit a less severe one.

When you're a slow as me does it make sense to run for a set time vs. a set distance? Should I be going out for a 25 min. run until I get into the sub 10 min/mile range for an easy run?

Can I make similar gains while preventing injury with this approach?

Thanks,

Mark

2013-05-13 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Mark - Do you have a HR rate monitor? If so take a look at the Maffetone method. Its done by heart rate and is awesome if you follow it. 

Strength Training - I have the TRX installed in my garage and work on it once or twice a week. I also go to a Chiropractor/Sports Therapist where I do functional strength training ... lots of core work ... Planks, Site Planks, Fancy Planks ... all kinds of planks ... :-)

2013-05-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4740949

Hudson Valley Region
d3term1ned - 2013-05-13 10:05 PM

Mark - Do you have a HR rate monitor? If so take a look at the Maffetone method. Its done by heart rate and is awesome if you follow it. 

I do have one. Any recommended resources to learn more? Thanks!

2013-05-14 4:32 AM

User image

New user

Sydney

Argh, wow, I'm out for a few days in class, and I feel I've been away for a month!

Happy mother's day!

Congratulations on the new dog Karla!

Sorry to hear about your crash Suzy, but glad you're ok!

Melissa - I'm jealous.

Mark - here's where I got a bit of information about the Maffetone method - http://nolimitsever.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/the-maffetone-method-br... past week has been a bit of a write off. I managed a rather slow post sunset run Sunday evening. felt reasonable, but nothing amazing.

I went to a yoga class this morning. I've not felt that tight and inflexible in a really long time. Thankfully, by the end of the class everything was moving a lot better and I was starting to feel human again.

I have a heave track session tomorrow night that I'm really not looking forward to, but a gorgeous long run around the bay scheduled for Saturday morning, no doubt followed up by a harbour swim and breakfast. that's why we do it, right?

Re. Running in tri suits, I haven't had any experience myself, but one of my running mates wears a tri suit every time we go out, and we're clocking up 27km this weekend. last long run, she forgot to put a sports bra on underneath, and said it was fine without. I guess it depends on your size, but she's definitely not tiny.

Cheers,

Em

2013-05-14 4:50 AM
in reply to: #4740998

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
thirdstation - 2013-05-14 3:37 AM
d3term1ned - 2013-05-13 10:05 PM

I do have one. Any recommended resources to learn more? Thanks!

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2 is probably a good place to start.  I think it explains the concept fairly well.

The most important thing is to not worry about what pace you are running at.  Just let it happen.  In terms of volume, build it up slowly, and I'd stick to time rather than distance until you've got a bit more base built up.  You should be finishing your runs feeling ok.  If you have soreness afterwards, consider dropping the volume and maybe increasing the frequency instead.

Also, don't set yourself a pace goal.  If you're waiting for a sub 10min/mile you may have a long wait ahead of you.  I started maffetone training january of last year and was running 12-13min/mile at the time.  I'm still running above 10min/mile now.  Ok, so I'm a slow runner, but setting yourself up with unrealistic expectations leads to frustration, and makes it more likely that you'll "cheat" and not get the potential gains.  Although it felt very slow running 12min/miles last year, I built up to my longest run of 16 miles, and completed the IM marathon at a similar pace to all of my training runs, including walk breaks at feed stations.

Edited by chapfallen 2013-05-14 5:12 AM
2013-05-14 5:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

khharms - 2013-05-13 10:57 PM Training question - where in your training do you fit strength? Do you go to the gym and do circuits, or at home, or none at all? i'm trying to figure out what day(s) are best for my schedule.

I asked this question in my previous mentor group, and the advice I got was to do sport specific training.  As a result, that's what I've been doing this year, and it seems to be working pretty well.  I do a hill run each week (5 mile run, with 1.5 miles/700ft total hill climbing) and a turbo strength session on the bike.  They definitely seem to be helping, and it's easier than trying to fit in "extra" sessions.  I also started off doing pool-based strength training (pull buoy and hand paddles), but I've been a bit lazy about that recently.  Our local pool won't let you use hard hand paddles, which broke my flow a little bit.

The only additional (non-sbr) sessions that I do are for core stability.  I had spinal surgery a long time ago and core stability is really important to me.  I vary it a lot depending on mood/specific problems etc, but generally do a bit of pilates, swissball and foam rolling, all of which help in different ways.

2013-05-14 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Long run in the bag.  I'm now heading out for my first OWS of the season.  Despite the fact that I've been swimming in open water for the last 2 years, as usual I am quite scared about this first swim.  I think it's mostly related to the fact that I know the water's going to be COLD (last week it was 10C) and I really hate getting into cold water.  But with my first open water tri in just over 2 weeks, it's time to bite the bullet.

Wish me luck!

2013-05-14 11:21 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

No real strength training for me....other than a few sets of push ups here and there and some curlls when I'm at the gym for a treadmill run. Would love to incoroporate a routine but between s/b/r, foam rolling, stretching....on and on and on.....I can't find the time.

Got my swim done early as work is messing up my usual lunch workout. Never had it this morning with the swim but finished it. Bike intervals this evening. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88