Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-07-04 11:33 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
I had arranged to meet a training buddy to do a 1:15 Swim/2:15 bike and 1:15 run today (basically our last big day before starting to taper for our HIM. We were going to meet up at 6:30am and get an early start due to anticipated heat. I got everything ready last night I just had to throw my bike on the bike rack and driver 4km/2.5mi to the lake.

At 5:45am I go outside and take the garbage out then go get my bike and load it on the rack and locking it then I went back in the house for 15 minutes then come out again to head off....but my bike is not there!

Yeah, it was stolen in that narrow window of time even though I had locked it. In fact when we figured out how they stole it - it took less than a minute to remove it.

After I reported the theft to the mounties I had to wait for 9:00 to go to our insurance office and see what the bike is covered for (apparently I might get $1000 max and I may also incur an increase in costs totalling about $800 over 5 yrs - so I'm thinking of taking the money and finding a different insurer.
After that, I went to my LBS and just said, "My bike was stolen." and they fixed me up with a bike in less than 30 minutes. Of course they're reasonably assured of a sale but they were pretty neat about it.

Later in the day I was out walking around kind of lost - really wasted the day workout wise - and met a female friend and I told her what happened then later I ran into her and her husband and he seriously offered me the use of his bike for a while. I thought that was pretty neat of him but I wouldn't want to modify his bike to fit me for just a short term.

Tomorrow I want to get out for an easy 1hr ride to get familiar with the bike before my 92km/57mi MedioFondo bike ride and if possible a quick 2km swim just to cool off.

Tom - Stay with us and keep working out and volunteering to keep up your enthusiasm. Keep us up to date on how you're doing and chime in with your opinions when ever you want.

2013-07-04 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
George that is terrible news. I'm very sorry to hear that. My bike was stolen straight out of my garage (which was closed when I went to bed) in the middle of the night this last January, so I know how you feel. Although mine was not near race time at all, that sucks too. I've become overly paranoid about my bike ever since. I assume if it is visible, even if it has 100 locks on it, that it can quickly be stolen. So I pretty much never leave it out of my sight away from home, and at home I put a motion detecting alarm in my garage for night time. It's sad that this should be necessary.Anyways, really sorry man. I have no idea what your financial situation is like but I hope you are able to bounce back quickly.
2013-07-04 11:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I had arranged to meet a training buddy to do a 1:15 Swim/2:15 bike and 1:15 run today (basically our last big day before starting to taper for our HIM. We were going to meet up at 6:30am and get an early start due to anticipated heat. I got everything ready last night I just had to throw my bike on the bike rack and driver 4km/2.5mi to the lake.

At 5:45am I go outside and take the garbage out then go get my bike and load it on the rack and locking it then I went back in the house for 15 minutes then come out again to head off....but my bike is not there!

Yeah, it was stolen in that narrow window of time even though I had locked it. In fact when we figured out how they stole it - it took less than a minute to remove it.

After I reported the theft to the mounties I had to wait for 9:00 to go to our insurance office and see what the bike is covered for (apparently I might get $1000 max and I may also incur an increase in costs totalling about $800 over 5 yrs - so I'm thinking of taking the money and finding a different insurer.
After that, I went to my LBS and just said, "My bike was stolen." and they fixed me up with a bike in less than 30 minutes. Of course they're reasonably assured of a sale but they were pretty neat about it.

Later in the day I was out walking around kind of lost - really wasted the day workout wise - and met a female friend and I told her what happened then later I ran into her and her husband and he seriously offered me the use of his bike for a while. I thought that was pretty neat of him but I wouldn't want to modify his bike to fit me for just a short term.

Tomorrow I want to get out for an easy 1hr ride to get familiar with the bike before my 92km/57mi MedioFondo bike ride and if possible a quick 2km swim just to cool off.

Tom - Stay with us and keep working out and volunteering to keep up your enthusiasm. Keep us up to date on how you're doing and chime in with your opinions when ever you want.

Bro

I dont what to say , im sad about the inccident for me its a tragedy. My first racer( road bikes back at the 80s) was stolen it broke my heart. I still feel bad everytime someones bike is stolen. report it to all the bike stores,pawn shops,craigslist/ebay or alike in your area all in a 100 mile radius. People can just be heartless for me a bike is like your partner on the road.You are doing so well in your training right on track fr a HIM. Anyway man keep posted how it goes.

Take Care.

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-04 11:58 PM
2013-07-05 12:09 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

George that is terrible news. I'm very sorry to hear that. My bike was stolen straight out of my garage (which was closed when I went to bed) in the middle of the night this last January, so I know how you feel. Although mine was not near race time at all, that sucks too. I've become overly paranoid about my bike ever since. I assume if it is visible, even if it has 100 locks on it, that it can quickly be stolen. So I pretty much never leave it out of my sight away from home, and at home I put a motion detecting alarm in my garage for night time. It's sad that this should be necessary.Anyways, really sorry man. I have no idea what your financial situation is like but I hope you are able to bounce back quickly.

Joe

Like you I am also paranoid we have a house alarm thats why i keep all my bikes indoors even my aluminum bike. I would keep my bike inside the garrage if i keep it you know that attic sort of above garrage where you have to pull the ladder down from the ceiling. I bring out my car and close the garrage and bring my bike up there so nobody can see me i keep it up there, then open the garrage door nd park my car inside. They have to steal my car to get to my bike(nobody would steal my car). i m wondering what are good pointers on how to keep your bike safe on raceday? can i kep it inside transition the whole day?

Cheers

Carl

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-05 12:09 AM
2013-07-05 9:05 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

That's awful. Sorry to hear about that. Anytime something is stolen, you feel totally powerless and victimized. You were probably staked out for some time. I know this is not CSI or anything, but in case you haven't thought of it, what if you ask your neighbors if they have video surveillance at their homes. Sometimes these things are caught on video and you don't even know it. Good luck in getting the bike back.

Would be surprised if there were not a "lojack" type device you could put on your expensive road bikes for things like this.
2013-07-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

Well gang, I think I've come to the conclusion that this will be only a training year. My job is stressing me out to the max and I don't feel like training. I do, here and there, but I'm just not comfortable. My swim hasn't improved much, well maybe some, and I really want to get better at it.

I am not quitting the group, just being realistic. I plan on going for a long bike ride on Saturday, and run later this morning.

I will volunteer for the NJ Tri and the NYC Tri this month so I can race next year. I am setting my sites on the NYC Oly next summer as my first Oly and I really want my swimming to improve before I jump into the Hudson River! (Yes, the same river the plane "landed" in).

I'm wishing everyone good luck in there races this summer and I am eyeing a 10K and or HM later this fall.

May the Legs be with You!

Tom

Hey Tom, you can join me in the not racing category. My job became much more stressful and started requiring frequent travel last fall and I decided I wasn't racing this year either. Racing is stressful for me and work is too and I decided to on,y do the one that pays the bills. That's why I've been mostly just running. It's the simplest of the three disciplines though I should probably throw some cycling in to save my knees.
[/QUO

Hey Mike, I agree with the run thing. I actually think I'm going to sign up for the Space Coast HM on December 1. It would be a great way to celebrate my 54th birthday. I never thought I would turn into a runner. But it is getting easier as you say and I can bike too.

2013-07-05 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by strykergt

@Tom

Dont quit yet, since you will be on a break why not focus on swimming first. Try to get help from a swim instructor. I was hesitant at first because i find it expensive.I first tried to get help on my bike when i dropped $300 on a pro fitter it made a whole lot of difference. Therefore i decided next help i need is with a swim instructor for someone who is a state swimmer,10 yrs swim team coach and two time IM, she only charged me $50.00 per session and $20.00 per group session. I would say thats a steal. Maybe an instructor will make it more fun.

Good luck man.!!!

@Mike
"running. It's the simplest of the three disciplines"

Very True!!

I agree about the Pro Fit. I did that this past February, the day I got my job offer. That's when I added the aero bars and Look pedals, both made a world of difference. After riding off and on since I was 24, this was the first FIT I had, it was worth every penny.

I'm not actually quitting, just want to concentrate on improving my swim and not getting past by 5 groups while I try to side stroke my way out of the water, LOL.
2013-07-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sorry about your bike George. That's pretty bold (and rude) stealing it while you are preparing to leave.
2013-07-05 7:38 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Sorry about your bike George. That's pretty bold (and rude) stealing it while you are preparing to leave.

Mike

any pointers how to keep your bie safe on raceday? can i keep it inside transition until i leave for home?

let m know

thanks
2013-07-05 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Originally posted by ransickSorry about your bike George. That's pretty bold (and rude) stealing it while you are preparing to leave.
Mike any pointers how to keep your bie safe on raceday? can i keep it inside transition until i leave for home?let m knowthanks
So sorry about the bike" that really sucks! We never lock our shed, and while we are pretty cheap we still prob have $1000s wroth of bikes and whatnot in there. Maybe we should lock it... Don't worry about race day. There are lots of folks watching transition and it should be fine. All the races I've done they check your number as you leave transition.
2013-07-05 9:06 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by miche033
Originally posted by ransickSorry about your bike George. That's pretty bold (and rude) stealing it while you are preparing to leave.
Mike any pointers how to keep your bie safe on raceday? can i keep it inside transition until i leave for home?let m knowthanks
So sorry about the bike" that really sucks! We never lock our shed, and while we are pretty cheap we still prob have $1000s wroth of bikes and whatnot in there. Maybe we should lock it... Don't worry about race day. There are lots of folks watching transition and it should be fine. All the races I've done they check your number as you leave transition.
That's true of most races but not every.  I've been to races where I could have easily walked in and grabbed someone else's bike and then walked out nonchalantly.  If it is something you are worried about email your race director and verify there will be some level of security at the transition area.  Personally it is something I look into before signing up for a race, I won't pay to race if there's not a secure transition area.

2013-07-05 11:03 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Mike

any pointers how to keep your bie safe on raceday? can i keep it inside transition until i leave for home?

let m know

thanks

Typically you can leave your bike in transition until you leave. Truthfully, I've never worried about my bike on race day since mine is about $1500 new with stock wheels and there are plenty bikes at races with wheels more expensive than my bike.
2013-07-06 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
A couple race day questions:1) what do you eat on the bike besides gels?2) what do you look at on your bike computer, if at all?3) for longer races: do you use chamois cream? If so, when do you apply it? Happy Saturday training all!
2013-07-06 11:37 AM

User image

Race Day answers: 1) I eat gatorade Blocks and Cliff Bars on the bike 2) When on the bike I keep my computer set to Cadence and Speed setting. I try to ensure I am at an 85+ RPM. 3) I don't use chamois cream for my rides.
2013-07-06 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by miche033 A couple race day questions:1) what do you eat on the bike besides gels?2) what do you look at on your bike computer, if at all?3) for longer races: do you use chamois cream? If so, when do you apply it? Happy Saturday training all!

1) On race day, noting all I've done to this point is sprints or olys, I've only used gels and the shot blocks.  But I decided at my last race that my tummy does not like the shot blocks.  I'm experimenting now though with raisins and cookies and various things.  I know there are a ton of threads on this, I'll look some up and link later.

2.) My computer is pretty basic, so I don't get cadence or power or anything like that.  If I had a powermeter I'd pay attention to that, particularly for a HIM.  But as it is all I'll be looking at on the computer is the distance.  And I'll have my HRM on to pay attention to that.

3.) For my olys I've put chamois cream on liberally before the swim and that seemed to work as well as when I put it on right before riding during training.  But I imagine being in the water longer would make that not true, so I intend to put on some during T1 for my HIM.  You can also get chamois cream in little one serving disposable packs to bring along during the ride I guess, but I haven't thought that was necessary yet.

2013-07-06 11:58 AM

User image

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1) On race day for an Oly distance I usually have 2 GUs on the bike and a 20oz bottle of water. But the amount you'll need will vary depending on the distance/time/weather.

2) On the computer I look at distance, cadence, and speed. Speed is in my opinion the least important, because not all courses are created equal and wind can skew your average. I base my pace on the cadence that feels most sustainable for an hour ride. If you have a power meter look at that.

3) I use chamois for every ride, so I use it for every race. Before the swim I apply it, but I have a mini packet I carry on my race belt just in case.

I am not a pro, this is all just stuff I've found worked for me through trial and error(nutrition is still awful for longer races).. But I hope this is still helpful!

2013-07-06 4:29 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

A couple race day questions:1) what do you eat on the bike besides gels?2) what do you look at on your bike computer, if at all?3) for longer races: do you use chamois cream? If so, when do you apply it? Happy Saturday training all!

Mish

i am no HIm finisher ,but when it comes to nutrition i always hear this from IM finishers. "use what works for you in practice." i believe the logic to it is that a change getting closer to raceday is to prevent stomach upset.

When it comes to the bike computer: in training i always watch the cadence,speed,time and distance on long bike rides i just watch time,speed and distance. if your already on the event oes not mke sense to watch the cadence.

goodluck to your HIM!!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-07-06 4:31 PM
2013-07-06 7:36 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

1. I like GU chomps, honey stinger waffles, and sometimes cliff bars. Practice eating on nearly every ride. I made the mistake of only eating on long rides and really didn't learn what my body tolerated under stress.

2. Cadence and speed but speed is a distance second as someone else mentioned.

3. I lube every ride no matter the distance. Apply directly to you, not the shorts. I've tried several brands and settled on Aquaphor. You can get a container for a couple bucks in the baby section at Walmart and it seems to last longer than some of the chamois creams I've tried.

Experiment and figure out what works for you.
2013-07-06 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

1. I like GU chomps, honey stinger waffles, and sometimes cliff bars. Practice eating on nearly every ride. I made the mistake of only eating on long rides and really didn't learn what my body tolerated under stress.

2. Cadence and speed but speed is a distance second as someone else mentioned.

3. I lube every ride no matter the distance. Apply directly to you, not the shorts. I've tried several brands and settled on Aquaphor. You can get a container for a couple bucks in the baby section at Walmart and it seems to last longer than some of the chamois creams I've tried.

Experiment and figure out what works for you.

1- I use two GU, I also really like power bar gel blasts. Kinda chewy but not as chewy as chomps which really get too sticky in my opinion. Otherwise for an oly I would not be eating anything else on the bike. A stinger waffle tastes great, but is crumbly not easy to take out of package.

2. Bike computer. Current speed, avg speed, distance and sometimes HR zone if I decide to wear the strap. Other commentary is right on about the speed being variable based on conditions. This being said, I analyze past years performances and scout course.. I then set a realistic speed target. Assess where I will pick it up and where I will lose it. It may not be the right thing to say anymore but really I am obsessed by the speed #

3. I only lube up for wetsuit I never use chamois cream. Maybe sometimes use body glide for 70.3 or longer But that is about it.
2013-07-06 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Thanks for the good words everyone. I've been amazed by the responses and support I've had from everyone I've talked to.

Thanks to my LBS I'm riding in a local GranFondo tomorrow on a really nice Felt bike. It was a quick set up with no "bike fit" but when I went out for a shakedown ride yesterday it felt pretty comfortable and actually seems to fit quite well - although a longer ride tomorrow may show up some problems.

I'm looking forward to the ride as a rehearsal for the HIM bike ride, although I'll be riding without a computer so no stats except for the given distance and my official finish time.

This week I missed a couple of days of work outs so now I feel like I haven't done anything for a couple weeks.
2013-07-07 9:39 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Thanks for the good words everyone. I've been amazed by the responses and support I've had from everyone I've talked to.

Thanks to my LBS I'm riding in a local GranFondo tomorrow on a really nice Felt bike. It was a quick set up with no "bike fit" but when I went out for a shakedown ride yesterday it felt pretty comfortable and actually seems to fit quite well - although a longer ride tomorrow may show up some problems.

I'm looking forward to the ride as a rehearsal for the HIM bike ride, although I'll be riding without a computer so no stats except for the given distance and my official finish time.

This week I missed a couple of days of work outs so now I feel like I haven't done anything for a couple weeks.

GEORGE PICTURE PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! I LOVE FELT MYSELF!!!!

2013-07-07 10:07 AM

User image

I second that statement. I would like to see a pic and I love my Felt as well.
2013-07-07 11:48 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I hadn't thought about any photos of the bike. It's not actually mine yet but I'll see if I can do it tomorrow. It is a pretty nice bike.

Today was my 92K "MedioFondo". My goal was to finish in 3:30 and my official time was 3:33:xx. I'm really pleased about my time because I hadn't considered how long I'd take in each of 3 AID stations (approx. 8 minutes). Initially I was being passed by everyone but as I warmed up I started passing people myself.

I missed not having a computer for speed, cadence, time and distance but I made out reasonably well.

In the AID stations I passed a lot of people by stopping as briefly as possible for no more than to grab some waffles, water and not needing to use a port-a-potty. I also played leap-frog with a group of people that were riding at a similar pace and this worked out well. We had 4 big hills to climb and we climbed 703m/2300' altogether. I was painfully slow on the hills and people passed me but on the flats I was going great and passing lots of people.

At one point there was a group crash just ahead of me and a woman was unconscious on the road. By the time I got there I heard a fellow say, "She's breathing." which didn't sound good to me. They waved everyone past and we carried on. I saw several other accidents and lots of people fixing flat tires.

The ride was a lot of fun and talking to people on the route was fun as well. The ride into the finish was over too fast and then the best part was the eating. The best were the salt-n-vinegar chips, popsicles, one beer and a chicken burger. Later on I had some cookies and watermelon.

FWIW - I've never tried Chamois butter. Today, I took a gamble and wore thin tri-shorts on a new, unfitted to me, bike and got really lucky - no negative issues and mostly comfortable the whole way.
2013-07-08 2:51 AM

User image

Subject: installment loan
There are things that a lot of of people encounter. Be it negative or positive, what's important is we know how to deal with it properly. Congress and the White House are battling it out in an effort to keep away from the fiscal cliff. Democrats are stingy about making cuts to entitlements, and Republicans refuse to take into account higher taxes. But are Americans really taxed too seriously? A survey of the rates of other nations cast doubt. You can pay for your taxes with an installment loan.
2013-07-08 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm so glad to see the group is still going. Sorry about being the WORST MENTOR EVER!! I would like to rejoin the group, if y'all don't mind...not as a mentor...just a fellow triathlete! How is everyone's training going? Any big races coming up? If you want I can get a calendar going of upcoming races, if it hasn't already been done. Let me know, and post your upcoming races if you want.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41