User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by Comet
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

If you have a yard/garage, find a big abandoned tractor tire and hit it with a sledge hammer

That actually sounds like fun.  Laughing

It is! It's one of my favorite activities. I don't even call it 'exercise' anymore. The sides of roads, behind buildings (especially tire centers), next to dumpsters, junkyards...all good places to find free or VERY cheap tires. This one was $5 from the junkyard. My other size ones were free. I've got a little collection. And I'm not even ashamed that it might look a little...trashy.

Right... I'd call that a big dose of stress relief! :D

Right? Crossfitters are crazy like that;)

Trashy? I sprained my wrist dumpster diving for my pigs on Saturday.  That was a wholelotta awesome--not.  Somebody was wishing for Di2 on the bike on Sunday.

2013-07-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: Laffenguy

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Laffenguy
Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by Laffenguy Ok, knocked out my regular early in the day and that afternoon went to the gym to find the GDH machine. I said I was going to do 4x10 sets. I did 3x20 instead. After 10, didn't feel like to much so kept going. I asked the person next to me at work and SHE said she does 3x20, so the challenge was on. Yes, I did touch the top of my head on the ground! I did get a tad dizzy towards the end from the big movement you have to do for a rep. I did notice when I was walking back to work that my hip flexors did not feel tight at all. Actually felt pretty good. I am going to start doing these daily!

YES!  This is my biggest problem with this exercise.  I  have really low BP, and I have to transition from sitting to standing or having my head lower than my heart--s-l-o-w-l-y.

Very impressive set.  Please let us know if you don't get sore, and we'll come up with some things for you to try. 

I don't believe we have a starting pic yet mister.

Not sore, I was surprised too. Was thinking of adding some twists or a bit of weight in a week or so after figuring them all out. There is a bit of technique to them, the first ones were pretty slow to figure out the movements. I was wondering if because I have not ever done them, if that is why I got a bit dizzy. And...........you let me slide too when I said a girl said she did 3x20 and I had to do at least that!

Nah, we are so used to the "can't-be-beat-by-a-girl" stuff by now that it doesn't even trip the radar.  One of my greatest pleasures is chicking guys.  Y'all have fragile little egos;)

2013-07-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Nah, we are so used to the "can't-be-beat-by-a-girl" stuff by now that it doesn't even trip the radar.  One of my greatest pleasures is chicking guys.  Y'all have fragile little egos

Nah, my good friend smashes my times on the bike and the run and generally wins or places, at least in her AG, in every event she is in. Can't touch me in the swim though. I don't mind her beating me except when she complains about how slow she was...
2013-07-01 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by caffer Just saw this.... Can I join a week late if I promise to catch up or go longer?

Awesome, Chris is in!!

To make up for the missed week, you must submit an abs before picture for the thread.  That's the rule, right Switch?

Edited by noelle1230 2013-07-01 1:55 PM
2013-07-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Originally posted by cdban66
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by switch Well, it was worth the wait   Nice start Brad.

So, what is the male:female pic ratio at this point????

Thou who hast not YET posted can maketh no comment on said ratio

Fixed that for ya.

"Promises. Promises." (just a little quote from your favorite (s)witch)

2013-07-01 2:13 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Master
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by caffer Just saw this.... Can I join a week late if I promise to catch up or go longer?

Awesome, Chris is in!!

To make up for the missed week, you must submit an abs before picture for the thread.  That's the rule, right Switch?

I think that sounds appropriate...although it will put the guys up by one. Oh well, I'm sure we'll deal with it. Laughing

2013-07-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Awesome, Chris is in!!

I think that sounds appropriate...although it will put the guys up by one. Oh well, I'm sure we'll deal with it. Laughing

oh, yes, that's the rule!
2013-07-01 2:29 PM

User image

Master

Day 8 done:
 3 sets-

20 stab ball crunches, 1min stab ball plank walk-outs*, 1min stab ball plank knee-ins*, 20 low bikes

1min stretch

*making up names since I don't know what they're called. Can one of you experts please help so I don't feel (as) dumb logging them next time?

2013-07-01 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Originally posted by cafferJust saw this.... Can I join a week late if I promise to catch up or go longer?
Of course! Anyone can join at any time. You choose if you want to catch up or go longer or a combo. Welcome

Great, I will get started tonight. May post a picture, my abs definitely fall into the "before" category.....
2013-07-01 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Today's Monday core class:

Warm Up: Good mornings--stand with feet hip width, slight bend in knees.  Take a deep inhale, arms overhead.  As you exhale, sweep both arm down toward the right food, then the left foot, and back up in a big circular motion.  Repeat 4 times then reverse to the opposite side.  Set two, add a light med ball (or dumbbell if no med ball is available).

Set One: Plank elbow walk--get in plank position on elbows.  Without allowing the flat body position to change, straighten right arm, then left, bend right arm back to starting position, then left.  Continue this pattern for 8 sets.  Rest, switch to left, right, left, right.  Modification, do this on the knees to make it easier but keep that flat push up position.

Set Two: Supine Windmill--lie on back with arms out into T, palms to the floor.  Legs straight to the ceiling.  Sweep the legs toward the right corner, then down, then left corner and back up as though you're drawing a giant "0" on the ceiling.  The bigger the "0", the tougher it will be.  Work to keep those hips anchored.  Do 12-16 sets, then switch directions.

Set Three: Seated Stability Ball curls with medball--sit on the "edge" of the ball with 90 degree bend in knees and weight into feet for stability.  Option, hold a med ball at chest level.  Without allowing the tailbone to move or lose contact with the "edge" of the ball, extend back into a back bend and contract the core to come up ONLY to that point at which your abs are still working.  In other words, if you come all the way back to a seated position you have lost the contraction.  Don't come back this high.  The range of motion comes more from the extension backward.  Do 20-30 reps, then hold near center (should be the toughest part of the range of motion) and pulse for 20-30 reps with a much smaller movement.

Set Four: Medball push up and roll--we all know core work is not just about the core!  Get in push up position on either knees or toes with one hand on the med ball.  Do a controlled push up, then roll the ball to the other hand and repeat.  Keep one straight line from shoulders to feet, or from shoulders to knees if on the knees.  Repeat 16 times (8 per side, 16 total) and rest.  Repeat 16 more.

Set Five: Seated medball twist ONE SIDED--sit with med ball at chest level.  Lean back to 45 degrees with bent knees and heels digging into floor.  Option, lift feet off the ground.  Twist to only ONE side.  Do 30-50 slow reps, moving the entire upper body as one unit so you are NOT using your arms aside from holding the ball.  Rest, repeat 30-50 reps on the other side.

Enjoy!

2013-07-01 3:13 PM

User image

Pro

Warm Up: Good mornings--stand with feet hip width, slight bend in knees.  Take a deep inhale, arms overhead.  As you exhale, sweep both arm down toward the right food, then the left foot, and back up in a big circular motion.  Repeat 4 times then reverse to the opposite side.  Set two, add a light med ball (or dumbbell if no med ball is available).

Set One: Plank elbow walk--get in plank position on elbows.  Without allowing the flat body position to change, straighten right arm, then left, bend right arm back to starting position, then left.  Continue this pattern for 8 sets.  Rest, switch to left, right, left, right.  Modification, do this on the knees to make it easier but keep that flat push up position.

Set Two: Supine Windmill--lie on back with arms out into T, palms to the floor.  Legs straight to the ceiling.  Sweep the legs toward the right corner, then down, then left corner and back up as though you're drawing a giant "0" on the ceiling.  The bigger the "0", the tougher it will be.  Work to keep those hips anchored.  Do 12-16 sets, then switch directions.

Set Three: Seated Stability Ball curls with medball--sit on the "edge" of the ball with 90 degree bend in knees and weight into feet for stability.  Option, hold a med ball at chest level.  Without allowing the tailbone to move or lose contact with the "edge" of the ball, extend back into a back bend and contract the core to come up ONLY to that point at which your abs are still working.  In other words, if you come all the way back to a seated position you have lost the contraction.  Don't come back this high.  The range of motion comes more from the extension backward.  Do 20-30 reps, then hold near center (should be the toughest part of the range of motion) and pulse for 20-30 reps with a much smaller movement.

Set Four: Medball push up and roll--we all know core work is not just about the core!  Get in push up position on either knees or toes with one hand on the med ball.  Do a controlled push up, then roll the ball to the other hand and repeat.  Keep one straight line from shoulders to feet, or from shoulders to knees if on the knees.  Repeat 16 times (8 per side, 16 total) and rest.  Repeat 16 more.

Set Five: Seated medball twist ONE SIDED--sit with med ball at chest level.  Lean back to 45 degrees with bent knees and heels digging into floor.  Option, lift feet off the ground.  Twist to only ONE side.  Do 30-50 slow reps, moving the entire upper body as one unit so you are NOT using your arms aside from holding the ball.  Rest, repeat 30-50 reps on the other side.

Enjoy!

I didn't realize I was going to need nutrition during the workout. Surprised

2013-07-01 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Awesome, Chris is in!!

Then I guess have to post one, gotta keep the men on top!
2013-07-01 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Day 8 done:
 3 sets-

20 stab ball crunches, 1min stab ball plank walk-outs*, 1min stab ball plank knee-ins*, 20 low bikes

1min stretch

*making up names since I don't know what they're called. Can one of you experts please help so I don't feel (as) dumb logging them next time?

Glad I'm not the only one Cool

2013-07-01 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Enjoy!

Amy, is set one like a plank up to a push up move then back down?
2013-07-01 3:22 PM
in reply to: caffer

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by caffer

Awesome, Chris is in!!

Ladies--do you see this^^^?!  If you're in this thread and you haven't posted, for the love of sixpack abs, post a freakin pic already.

2013-07-01 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Awesome, Chris is in!!

Ladies--do you see this^^^?!  If you're in this thread and you haven't posted, for the love of sixpack abs, post a freakin pic already.

Somehow my day 7 pic looks worse than my day 0 pic?!?!?!Yell

2013-07-01 3:31 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Awesome, Chris is in!!

But they haven't posted the pics yet. No need to worry

2013-07-01 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Awesome, Chris is in!!

But they haven't posted the pics yet. No need to worry :)

I have a pic of my husband to post, but I'm gonna hold it back, just so we can keep the women on top (insert on top joke here).

He's doing the challenge though.

ETA: He's getting a vascectomy tomorrow though--haha!  That'll set him back for a few days;)

Edited by switch 2013-07-01 3:35 PM
2013-07-01 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
I have had E entering my days complete, but I gotta say that my entire abdominal wall is hurting today from yesterdays workout. I will summarize yesterdays stooopid activities.

3 sets of 45 seconds flutter kicks
3 sets of 12 leg raises
2 sets of 30 situps
3 sets of 12 side planks

this was while watching NASCAR race
then I went to the gym and did:

1x30 squats with 45 lb bar
3x10 squats with 135 lbs (i havent done squats in 3 months so oww)
3x10 deadlifts with 185 lbs (same as above)
1x8 deadlift with 225lbs
2x8 straight leg deadlift with 185lbs
3x10 overhead snatches with 115lbs

3x35 incline situps
3x15 hanging leg raises
3x10 pullups

Entire gym workout was 40 mins.
then last night read an article in Mens Fitness saying guys should be able to do plank for minimum of 3 mins so of course I had to do that while watching TV with the family.

I was expecting to count this as a double core 10min? obviously some legs thrown in there
I havent really been lifting for about 2 years and I thought I was going to have to ask for help getting out of bed this morning.

2013-07-01 3:52 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Awesome, Chris is in!!

But they haven't posted the pics yet. No need to worry :)

It's not an abs pic, but it's a pic...I've decided that if the whole tri thing doesn't work out, I'd make a pretty good junkie.

2013-07-01 3:54 PM
in reply to: jclarke450

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jclarke450 I have had E entering my days complete, but I gotta say that my entire abdominal wall is hurting today from yesterdays workout. I will summarize yesterdays stooopid activities. 3 sets of 45 seconds flutter kicks 3 sets of 12 leg raises 2 sets of 30 situps 3 sets of 12 side planks this was while watching NASCAR race then I went to the gym and did: 1x30 squats with 45 lb bar 3x10 squats with 135 lbs (i havent done squats in 3 months so oww) 3x10 deadlifts with 185 lbs (same as above) 1x8 deadlift with 225lbs 2x8 straight leg deadlift with 185lbs 3x10 overhead snatches with 115lbs 3x35 incline situps 3x15 hanging leg raises 3x10 pullups Entire gym workout was 40 mins. then last night read an article in Mens Fitness saying guys should be able to do plank for minimum of 3 mins so of course I had to do that while watching TV with the family. I was expecting to count this as a double core 10min? obviously some legs thrown in there I havent really been lifting for about 2 years and I thought I was going to have to ask for help getting out of bed this morning.

That looks rather brutal.  I'm very impressed--with everything except watching NASCAR;)  JK, I'm sure it's cool, I just don't "get it".

2013-07-01 4:08 PM

User image

Pro

Here's my 1 week shot. Laughing   

Actually, that's my 15 year old son.....in case your wondering what 40,000M per week of swimming will do for you on top of cycling and running.  I promise that kid has never done a sit-up in his life. 

Just some motivation for a Monday.

(abs.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
abs.jpg (30KB - 11 downloads)
2013-07-01 4:09 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Master

Awesome, Chris is in!!

But they haven't posted the pics yet. No need to worry

^^^That's what I was thinking! And, let's face it, some guys aren't great on the follow through. :P.
2013-07-01 4:12 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by Left Brain

Here's my 1 week shot. Laughing   

Actually, that's my 15 year old son.....in case your wondering what 40,000M per week of swimming will do for you on top of cycling and running.  I promise that kid has never done a sit-up in his life. 

Just some motivation for a Monday.

I'm really glad he's not into girls yet.  You keep it that way as loooooooong as possible.  Woah nelly.
2013-07-01 4:15 PM
in reply to: jclarke450

User image

Master
Originally posted by jclarke450I have had E entering my days complete, but I gotta say that my entire abdominal wall is hurting today from yesterdays workout. I will summarize yesterdays stooopid activities.3 sets of 45 seconds flutter kicks3 sets of 12 leg raises2 sets of 30 situps3 sets of 12 side planksthis was while watching NASCAR racethen I went to the gym and did:1x30 squats with 45 lb bar3x10 squats with 135 lbs (i havent done squats in 3 months so oww)3x10 deadlifts with 185 lbs (same as above)1x8 deadlift with 225lbs2x8 straight leg deadlift with 185lbs3x10 overhead snatches with 115lbs3x35 incline situps3x15 hanging leg raises3x10 pullupsEntire gym workout was 40 mins.then last night read an article in Mens Fitness saying guys should be able to do plank for minimum of 3 mins so of course I had to do that while watching TV with the family.I was expecting to count this as a double core 10min? obviously some legs thrown in thereI havent really been lifting for about 2 years and I thought I was going to have to ask for help getting out of bed this morning.
ooooh, baby... can't wait for your after pic. oh yeah, I don't have to! :D
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1422 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10597 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.