BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-01-09 7:45 PM
in reply to: jnmrunner

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Originally posted by jnmrunner

Originally posted by Qua17

My update is as follows:
Bringing healthy lunch to work the rest of the week (Tu-F) - Three for three to date on this one. I have actually dropped a couple of pounds, I think just from changing my eating habits. Lets hope this one sticks
Compare/contrast training calendars - somewhat accomplished. I am having a hard time figuring out what a training calendar means to me.
2x strength training - once tomorrow, already planned for 6:30a.m., then I will have to fit one in this weekend
1x yoga - done with a new app. More yoga to come this weekend, even if it is just 10 more minutes

Beers to be consumed this weekend with some football. Only 1/31 for training, but this will increase this weekend as well.

Jeanne - Good job on all that you have accomplished this week and congrats on the weight loss. That's great.

If I could make a suggestion - the only way to really get a sense of whether or not a training calendar works for you is to use it for a while - I'd say a week or two. Then after you have tried both, the choice should really be clear. I was in the same spot as you - I really liked mapmyride but I also liked the calendar on BT. After using both for a couple of months - I realized that I needed both - tracking my run was easier on mapmyride and I wanted the functionality that came from tracking them on BT. Plus, keeping up my log on BT allows you all to give be a hard time if I slack off. But you need to find something that not only works for you but one that keeps you engaged as well (which is what I really think you are talking about when you said "what a training calendar means to me") Good luck finding something that works for you.

2014-01-09 7:50 PM
in reply to: SportzVision

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Nice job!

Geez, I thought I heard something...bark, bark!

Originally posted by SportzVision
Originally posted by Qua17 It's Thursday and we are midway through the week. Time to check in and recommit to your goals for the week. You're mission is simple. There are two things I would like for you to do. First - take a moment to bring us up to speed by posting how your goals are going this week. In your post - let us know what your plans are for accomplishing your goals by the end of the week. Second, and most importantly, make it happen. I am loving what I am seeing in this group so far. Many of you are using this forum to hold yourself accountable. I find that when I tell the group I'm going to do something, it helps me to make it happen because while I might be 20 pounds over weight, I'm a man of my word. Plus, f I fall short - I know I have a warm coors light waiting for me! Good luck everyone and keep up the great work!
Made to the gym this morning and got in two miles in 25 mins. Again, slow but steady...I may make this challenge yet. I walked for about two minutes then did the rest in a nice easy jog with a run in the last 45 seconds. Getting over the sickness but still haven't quite got my voice back...only dogs can hear me.

2014-01-09 7:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - OPEN
I got 5 and 6 in this morning (swim/bike) with 7 and 8 to follow tomorrow (swim Bike) in the 31 challenge.
Update on goals is as follows:
lose 2 lbs.CW is 203.1- Down 2.9 lbs as of this morning. Looking to lose 3.5 by weeks end.
make 5 workouts towads 21/30 challenge- Got it in barely.
2x swim, 1 long swim 1 speed workout. LS is 1000+ SS is 900+- swam 1100 long swim today and doing my speed work tomorrow of 1000.
3x trainer sessions of 35 min+- 1 session on trainer, 2 on spin bike. I hate the spin bike at gym, but it is a necessary evil. It's just boring.

Somehow I lost count. I'll only have 7/31 after tomorrow.

Edited by kevinbe 2014-01-09 7:59 PM
2014-01-09 7:54 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Hi All - Sorry for the long string of messages. I just wanted to let you know that I had updated the list of BDAAS III members and added it in a table to my training log. Here is the link. I think you can copy it into your training log as some people have done in the past. All of the usernames are linked to each of our profiles.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....

Here Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society Winter 2014
kevinbe - Kevin
thor67 - Thor
SportzVision - Cynthia
mirthfuldragon - Charles
Burd - Alex
NeverTri'd - Bill
ripariangal - Melanie
MOlsen - Mark
jimyak - Jim
rydergal - Tera
Bradleykd - Brad
drewmarcus15 - Drew
sma777 - Sean
drfoodlove - Gretchen
kascha - Kayla
jnmrunner - Jeanne
MSURDYKE - Matt
ervaller - Eric
Juancho - Juan
Brian W - Brian
b2b14 - Scott
jeffnboise - Jeff
Qua17 - David
2014-01-09 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

Hi All - Sorry for the long string of messages. I just wanted to let you know that I had updated the list of BDAAS III members and added it in a table to my training log. Here is the link. I think you can copy it into your training log as some people have done in the past. All of the usernames are linked to each of our profiles.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly....

Here Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society Winter 2014
kevinbe - Kevin
thor67 - Thor
SportzVision - Cynthia
mirthfuldragon - Charles
Burd - Alex
NeverTri'd - Bill
ripariangal - Melanie
MOlsen - Mark
jimyak - Jim
rydergal - Tera
Bradleykd - Brad
drewmarcus15 - Drew
sma777 - Sean
drfoodlove - Gretchen
kascha - Kayla
jnmrunner - Jeanne
MSURDYKE - Matt
ervaller - Eric
Juancho - Juan
Brian W - Brian
b2b14 - Scott
jeffnboise - Jeff
Qua17 - David

With That comes your 2000th Post. BAM!
2014-01-09 9:17 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by thor67

DO NOT LOOK AHEAD on the push up challenge....

Originally posted by Bradleykd
Originally posted by Brian W I've been inspired! This is the same program I started a few years ago (when my fitness was in the dumps). I'm going to start this program again. Just took the initial test. I'm limited to 14 due to not lifting for a few months and the broken wrist is still recovering...but 14 is WAAAAY more than I could have done in my couch potato days...looking forward to getting some strength back. Are you guys bricks and AM / PM sessions differently for the X/31?
I started with 16, and I'm on day 2 of the challenge. It seems really easy when you do the sets, but I can definitely feel it. It makes me nervous about the coming weeks! And I count days. Even if I did a run in the morning and a bike in the afternoon, I'd call it one. Not sure what the others are doing. ETA: The man that posed the challenge says otherwise! If you follow his rules, its easier.. lol

One of my training mantras, Joe Friel.

Think like a bee, Train like a horse.
...in this case I'll wear blinders!

2014-01-10 6:09 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Finally able to get back training. Looks like my head cold is about gone. I'm not one of these who trains through anything. If I'm sick, you can forget about it!

Workout 5 is now complete! Had my first experience with Sufferfest last night. Real good ride. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my left knee. I've been having some lateral pain for the past couple of months. Nothing too bad. Usually gives me problems when I'm playing basketball. I figured I just needed to stretch more. Well, after my ride last night I couldn't straighten it out completely. Couldn't imagine trying to transition into a run! I'm beginning to think it could be strength related too. Guess I'll try that for a while before I decide to see someone about it.

Have a great day everybody!!!

Bill
2014-01-10 6:16 AM
in reply to: sma777

User image

Jackson, Mississippi
Originally posted by sma777

Got my first run of the year in! It was ugly but it's in the books and I can only improve from here. My goals for this week was to run 2-3x and for strength train 2-3x as well. I used the elliptical 2x and ran 1x so I'm feeling good. I have also gone the the gym 2x and am hitting it again tomorrow so I'm ahead there. Next week, less eliptical and more running is in line. I'm also going to figure out where I can set up my trainer so I can get some cycling in.
I'll be going to the gym for ST regularly because my 12yo son has asked me to help him train to become a more fit soccer player. It's cool to hang out with him at the gym and help him learn how to build strength in different ways. It's also just a great way to bond over something we can do together.

That's awesome about you kid. My two girls are into softball and it's great having something that we do together. Definitely keeps us closer. My oldest, just last night, said something to me about wanting to do triathlon someday. Keep up the hard work and let us know how the running goes!

Bill
2014-01-10 7:37 AM

User image

Lansing, Michigan
Ok so now its tome to get back at it. 2 days out of the house was terrible for the workout. Although I did have an opportunity to hit 3 Floyds Brewery in Munster IN on the way back from Chicago yesterday. If you ever have the opportunity to stop here this is a must. I tried Zombie Dust which is an intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale. This was excellent. Gumball Head was next.Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness. yet another excellent beer. The Food was just as incredible. We gave the food selection responsibility to the bar tender and he did not disappoint. Smoked rubbed chicken wings to start alongside Shrimp fritters in a Cajun mayo dipping sauce. The second course was a chipolte gouda mac and cheese and then finally we finished it off with a smoked pork taco. This place will definitely be a must do on upcoming return trips to Chicago.

http://www.3floyds.com/

Push ups are done for the day

I need to get in a big exercise today to make up for the past few days

Edited by ervaller 2014-01-10 7:53 AM
2014-01-10 7:55 AM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by ervaller Ok so now its tome to get back at it. 2 days out of the house was terrible for the workout. Although I did have an opportunity to hit 3 Floyds Brewery in Munster IN on the way back from Chicago yesterday. If you ever have the opportunity to stop here this is a must. I tried Zombie Dust which is an intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale. This was excellent. Gumball Head was next.Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness. yet another excellent beer. The Food was just as incredible. We gave the food selection responsibility to the bar tender and he did not disappoint. Smoked rubbed chicken wings to start alongside Shrimp fritters in a Cajun mayo dipping sauce. The second course was a chipolte gouda mac and cheese and then finally we finished it off with a smoked pork taco. This place will definitely be a must do on upcoming return trips to Chicago. http://www.3floyds.com/Push ups are done for the day I need to get in a big exercise today to make up for the past few days

Man, my mouth is watering for the beer and food and it is only 6:54am.

2014-01-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: NeverTri'd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by NeverTri'd Finally able to get back training. Looks like my head cold is about gone. I'm not one of these who trains through anything. If I'm sick, you can forget about it! Workout 5 is now complete! Had my first experience with Sufferfest last night. Real good ride. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my left knee. I've been having some lateral pain for the past couple of months. Nothing too bad. Usually gives me problems when I'm playing basketball. I figured I just needed to stretch more. Well, after my ride last night I couldn't straighten it out completely. Couldn't imagine trying to transition into a run! I'm beginning to think it could be strength related too. Guess I'll try that for a while before I decide to see someone about it. Have a great day everybody!!! Bill

Good to to have you back somewhat healthy!

Get in the pool, good physio for your kneee!

2014-01-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by kevinbe I got 5 and 6 in this morning (swim/bike) with 7 and 8 to follow tomorrow (swim Bike) in the 31 challenge. Update on goals is as follows: lose 2 lbs.CW is 203.1- Down 2.9 lbs as of this morning. Looking to lose 3.5 by weeks end. make 5 workouts towads 21/30 challenge- Got it in barely. 2x swim, 1 long swim 1 speed workout. LS is 1000+ SS is 900+- swam 1100 long swim today and doing my speed work tomorrow of 1000. 3x trainer sessions of 35 min+- 1 session on trainer, 2 on spin bike. I hate the spin bike at gym, but it is a necessary evil. It's just boring. Somehow I lost count. I'll only have 7/31 after tomorrow.

Count before you drink your beers...

Nice job!

How do you find the day after hockey? I am completely wiped. I have trouble getting a workout the next day. Wish the games started at 6pm.

2014-01-10 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

10/31, now I can start slacking it and find a PT to get in the rest of my workouts...

Grab yourself a coors light DQ!

2014-01-10 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Grrrrrr, my calf is not happy. I'm feeling some pain in my soleus, it started cramping up last night while playing soccer and I want to avoid any injury here. Last year I saw a PT for a few weeks for a similar issue with the other leg and he told me I had super tight calves and should stretch and massage to loosen things up. Of course after he fixed me up, I ignored his advice and am not a stickler for stretching. Apparently I have a ton of scar tissue as well from years of microtears. So, anyone have suggestions on good stretches and a self-massage tool (stick, rolling pin, baseball) that worked for you. I'd like to avoid having to go to PT but he and another female PT had to dig deep into my calf to loosen things up so I may not have an option.
2014-01-10 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Seems to be alot of calf/leg issues going around.  Err on the side of Caution and discretion in January.

Had a nice run with my group last night. The reward was a wonderful "Torpedo Stout"; a  mixture of 58% Chocolate, 2% Bourbon and 40% Expresso stouts.

It was soo creamy and satisfying.  Credit to the BDAAS (Badass?) for preventing me from ordering a PBR and calling it good.

Today's Goal:  Swim or weights depending upon pool schedule. 

Edited by jeffnboise 2014-01-10 11:06 AM
2014-01-10 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
The Ocean State
Originally posted by NeverTri'd

Got my first run of the year in! It was ugly but it's in the books and I can only improve from here. My goals for this week was to run 2-3x and for strength train 2-3x as well. I used the elliptical 2x and ran 1x so I'm feeling good. I have also gone the the gym 2x and am hitting it again tomorrow so I'm ahead there. Next week, less eliptical and more running is in line. I'm also going to figure out where I can set up my trainer so I can get some cycling in.
I'll be going to the gym for ST regularly because my 12yo son has asked me to help him train to become a more fit soccer player. It's cool to hang out with him at the gym and help him learn how to build strength in different ways. It's also just a great way to bond over something we can do together.

That's awesome about you kid. My two girls are into softball and it's great having something that we do together. Definitely keeps us closer. My oldest, just last night, said something to me about wanting to do triathlon someday. Keep up the hard work and let us know how the running goes!

Bill

My son did a kids tri a couple of years ago, of course without any training...who needs it at that age. I just helped him plan for transitions and he did the rest. He took first place in his AG and didn't even know it until we were about to leave. He had a blast and wants to do another one this year.

2014-01-10 12:10 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Planned rest day for me!, which I shall use sitting in the car driving to my in-laws' house. I'd forgotten this was the weekend for this trip, so it was quite the rude awakening this morning. Anyway, one good thing will come from it--a guarenteed long run tomorrow! Long run=legitimate reason to escape the craziness for a while.

Hope everyone has a great weekend with lots of good training time!

2014-01-10 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Originally posted by SportzVision

It's Thursday and we are midway through the week. Time to check in and recommit to your goals for the week. You're mission is simple. There are two things I would like for you to do. First - take a moment to bring us up to speed by posting how your goals are going this week. In your post - let us know what your plans are for accomplishing your goals by the end of the week. Second, and most importantly, make it happen.

I am loving what I am seeing in this group so far. Many of you are using this forum to hold yourself accountable. I find that when I tell the group I'm going to do something, it helps me to make it happen because while I might be 20 pounds over weight, I'm a man of my word. Plus, f I fall short - I know I have a warm coors light waiting for me!

Good luck everyone and keep up the great work!

Made to the gym this morning and got in two miles in 25 mins. Again, slow but steady...I may make this challenge yet. I walked for about two minutes then did the rest in a nice easy jog with a run in the last 45 seconds.

Getting over the sickness but still haven't quite got my voice back...only dogs can hear me.

Fight the fight! Finish the race! Keep the faith!

Also, got 8 miles on the stationary bike in 30 minutes after work. Haven't done that in a long while, train before work and after...woot woot!
2014-01-10 12:41 PM
in reply to: sma777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Bill

My son did a kids tri a couple of years ago, of course without any training...who needs it at that age. I just helped him plan for transitions and he did the rest. He took first place in his AG and didn't even know it until we were about to leave. He had a blast and wants to do another one this year.

Cool. My son did his first also and started doing 5k races at age 8. It goes to show what good role models we can be by continuing to do what we do. So many children are fixated with all the electronic devices out there like xbox, phones, etc. Teaching them the value of fitness at a young age will last them a lifetime and they will have you to thank. Quality time with the kidos is priceless. Keep on being that positive role model
2014-01-10 12:45 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Just got home from the LBS with new 105 pedals. I decided to put the Speedplays on craigslist, here, and ST. No matter how much I fiddle with them I just can't get a good feel. They have been adjusted a million times and still getting a bit of pain on the inside of the knee. The chart I saw and the guys at the LBS said the same thing, they aren't for everyone and it's possible to have too much float. Put the 105s on and rode around the block and it feels so much nicer already. I'm taking the hex wrench with me on Sundays long ride to fine tune the cleats as needed.
2014-01-10 1:05 PM

User image

Expert

Finally able to get back training. Looks like my head cold is about gone. I'm not one of these who trains through anything. If I'm sick, you can forget about it!

Workout 5 is now complete! Had my first experience with Sufferfest last night. Real good ride. I just wish I could figure out what is going on with my left knee. I've been having some lateral pain for the past couple of months. Nothing too bad. Usually gives me problems when I'm playing basketball. I figured I just needed to stretch more. Well, after my ride last night I couldn't straighten it out completely. Couldn't imagine trying to transition into a run! I'm beginning to think it could be strength related too. Guess I'll try that for a while before I decide to see someone about it.

Have a great day everybody!!!

Bill

Glad to hear you are back in the game after overcoming that headcold. They can just suck the life out of you! With 5 workouts in youre right on pace for the 20 for 30 challenge. Remember strength training counts towards that total. I really hope that's all you need but don't wait too long before seeking expert help. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help of my PT - if you find a good one they can be a life saver!

2014-01-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

I got 5 and 6 in this morning (swim/bike) with 7 and 8 to follow tomorrow (swim Bike) in the 31 challenge.
Update on goals is as follows:
lose 2 lbs.CW is 203.1- Down 2.9 lbs as of this morning. Looking to lose 3.5 by weeks end.
make 5 workouts towads 21/30 challenge- Got it in barely.
2x swim, 1 long swim 1 speed workout. LS is 1000+ SS is 900+- swam 1100 long swim today and doing my speed work tomorrow of 1000.
3x trainer sessions of 35 min+- 1 session on trainer, 2 on spin bike. I hate the spin bike at gym, but it is a necessary evil. It's just boring.

Somehow I lost count. I'll only have 7/31 after tomorrow.

Bam! Looks like you are locking it down. Nice work on the weight loss and the success you have had with the other goals. You ought to have a few barley pops to reward yourself!
2014-01-10 1:24 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Burd
Originally posted by sma777 Got my first run of the year in! It was ugly but it's in the books and I can only improve from here. My goals for this week was to run 2-3x and for strength train 2-3x as well. I used the elliptical 2x and ran 1x so I'm feeling good. I have also gone the the gym 2x and am hitting it again tomorrow so I'm ahead there. Next week, less eliptical and more running is in line. I'm also going to figure out where I can set up my trainer so I can get some cycling in. I'll be going to the gym for ST regularly because my 12yo son has asked me to help him train to become a more fit soccer player. It's cool to hang out with him at the gym and help him learn how to build strength in different ways. It's also just a great way to bond over something we can do together.
That's awesome about you kid. My two girls are into softball and it's great having something that we do together. Definitely keeps us closer. My oldest, just last night, said something to me about wanting to do triathlon someday. Keep up the hard work and let us know how the running goes! Bill
Cool. My son did his first also and started doing 5k races at age 8. It goes to show what good role models we can be by continuing to do what we do. So many children are fixated with all the electronic devices out there like xbox, phones, etc. Teaching them the value of fitness at a young age will last them a lifetime and they will have you to thank. Quality time with the kidos is priceless. Keep on being that positive role model
While not all kids are going to follow in their parents footsteps at least we are planting the seed. My son(11) has been doing tris for the past couple of years. This year i put a trainer tire on his bike. He can now come down stairs and ride his bike with me.( we have two trainers picked them up second hand) it is a great feeling! Unfortunately my daughter's bike is too small(she is 6 and did her first last year!)

2014-01-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: ervaller

User image

Expert
Originally posted by ervaller

Ok so now its tome to get back at it. 2 days out of the house was terrible for the workout. Although I did have an opportunity to hit 3 Floyds Brewery in Munster IN on the way back from Chicago yesterday. If you ever have the opportunity to stop here this is a must. I tried Zombie Dust which is an intensely hopped and gushing undead pale ale. This was excellent. Gumball Head was next.Brewed with Amarillo Hops and a generous portion of American red wheat, Gumballhead has a complex hop aroma with notes of grapefruit, lemon zest, marmalade and peach. These flavors combined with low bitterness. yet another excellent beer. The Food was just as incredible. We gave the food selection responsibility to the bar tender and he did not disappoint. Smoked rubbed chicken wings to start alongside Shrimp fritters in a Cajun mayo dipping sauce. The second course was a chipolte gouda mac and cheese and then finally we finished it off with a smoked pork taco. This place will definitely be a must do on upcoming return trips to Chicago.

http://www.3floyds.com/

Push ups are done for the day

I need to get in a big exercise today to make up for the past few days

We are ten days in and already we have a strong candidate for post of the year! Three Floyds is a great brewery - they really put out a lot of good stuff. I think their IPA's are their strength and one of these days I'm gonna have to make a pilgrimage! Hope you get in a great workout but don't feel like you need to make up any days. There will be plenty of time for training in the months to come.
2014-01-10 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by thor67

10/31, now I can start slacking it and find a PT to get in the rest of my workouts...

Grab yourself a coors light DQ!

HA HA... 10.5 for me... And I'm counting my PT workouts as half a workout...Otherwise my lead would be even more substantial.

Just to be clear - no Coors Light for me. Ever. (I may regret saying that)...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.