BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-02-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1098972

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks!

Thanks alll for the encouragement!

Scott

2008-02-26 10:55 AM

User image

Congratulations, boys (I mean men) on the races. I'm getting super excited for events to start here, also!! Hurry up Springtime.

Edited by teresa 2008-02-26 10:56 AM
2008-02-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1235532

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

BunnyT - 2008-02-26 9:00 AM Regarding Illness... How do you approach your training when you have an illness? I recognize this might be a difficult question to answer based on the type and severity of illness, but I've been dealing with what I'd classify as a really bad cold the last few days. Very runny nose, elevated fever and fatigue. I fought through a couple of workouts, but felt so unproductive because I had no energy! For those of you who've got some experience here, do you typically scale back your workouts, fight through them, call them off, or something other? Thanks, Jesse

Generally, let the body be your guide.   If you're tired and achy, go easy.  If you have a sniffle but feel generally fine, then do what you'd normally do.  There's nothing wrong with going nice and easy for a few days while recovering from a cold.  Actually, putting your body under heavy physical stress when battling an infection significantly ups the risk of it developing into some thing much more serious. 

If you've got a fever, you probably should NOT be exercising.  Your body is fighting hard against an infection when you're running a fever.  Sleep, drink lots of fluids, etc.

Hope you feel better soon.  Remember, we're all in this for fun, fitness, and health.  This isnt our career.

2008-02-26 2:58 PM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
I have a question about the log. When I'm viewing the blog (actual), there is a calendar on the left pane with color codes (peach, darker peach, yellow, and purple). I can't figure out for the life of me what these mean. I've looked for some doc or help system, and also tried to do some pattern recognition to no avail. If I look at the Blog(nutrition), the calendar changes and represents Kcal thresholds with a legend to describe what the colors mean.

Anyone have a clue what the colors mean for the (actual) view?
2008-02-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1236814

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

thinair - 2008-02-26 3:58 PM I have a question about the log. When I'm viewing the blog (actual), there is a calendar on the left pane with color codes (peach, darker peach, yellow, and purple). I can't figure out for the life of me what these mean. I've looked for some doc or help system, and also tried to do some pattern recognition to no avail. If I look at the Blog(nutrition), the calendar changes and represents Kcal thresholds with a legend to describe what the colors mean. Anyone have a clue what the colors mean for the (actual) view?

Peach = a day you did at least some of a tri sport, (swim, bike or run)

Dark peach = a day you did a non-tri sport but no tri sport

yellow = a day with no workout but a comment

purple/blue =  a day with personal data entered (like weight, resting HR, etc) but no workouts.

White = nothing entered on that day

2008-02-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1237071

Regular
Alex, thanks for asking the question...that's been bugging me too.

Ridge, thanks for answering.

2008-02-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1237071

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Ridgelake - 2008-02-26 4:02 PM

thinair - 2008-02-26 3:58 PM I have a question about the log. When I'm viewing the blog (actual), there is a calendar on the left pane with color codes (peach, darker peach, yellow, and purple). I can't figure out for the life of me what these mean. I've looked for some doc or help system, and also tried to do some pattern recognition to no avail. If I look at the Blog(nutrition), the calendar changes and represents Kcal thresholds with a legend to describe what the colors mean. Anyone have a clue what the colors mean for the (actual) view?

Peach = a day you did at least some of a tri sport, (swim, bike or run)

Dark peach = a day you did a non-tri sport but no tri sport

yellow = a day with no workout but a comment

purple/blue =  a day with personal data entered (like weight, resting HR, etc) but no workouts.

White = nothing entered on that day

Thanks Rob. Who came up with that legend I wonder.
2008-02-28 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello Group,
My family and I are leaving for Disneyland and Sandiego tomorrow and wont be back for a week. So if it seems I have disappeared...I have I will check in when I get back. Have many happy workouts while I am gone.
Scott
2008-02-29 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1242870

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Scott, have a great trip!  Got any room in your suitcase for a stowaway???? 
2008-02-29 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1189519

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!
Ridgelake - 2008-02-01 2:13 PM

Ok, the February Ridgelake Group Challenge!  Dave put down the gauntlet.

My goal is to have only 4 rest days in the month.  In January, I had 2.  I may be traveling some, so I hope this is attainable.

Run: 50 miles  (This will be weather dependent)

Bike: 2.5 hours per week

Swim 1.5 hours per week.

Ok guys, February is about over.  How did everyone do?  The February goals were on page 5 and 6 of this thread.

I hit my goal of only 4 off days.  Actually, I had only 1 off day this month, and 3 for the year.

Run:  I had over 60 miles running, so I exceeded my 50 mile goal.

Bike:  I wanted 2.5 hours/week, but I ended up short at about 1:45.

Swim:  goal was 1.5 hours/week, and I hit exactly that.

All in all, I'd consider this a successful month.  How about everyone else?

Edited by Ridgelake 2008-02-29 7:53 AM
2008-02-29 9:16 AM

User image

Regular
I didn't hit my goals for the month largely due to continuing struggles with my back and weekends filled with skiing and out of town guests rather than training. HOWEVER, the back has been almost a non-issue during this past week and I am looking forward to March. I had a great run on Wed. where I upped my mileage AND hit a pace :15/mile faster than I have done all year. We're skiing again this weekend (I know, pity me) but I will re-state my Feb. goals and work on hitting them in March.
Run - 40 miles
Swim - 16,000 yards
Bike - 8 hours (+/- 136 miles assuming +/-17 MPH)

Game On!

2008-02-29 9:40 AM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
I came in late in February and somehow missed the call to challenge. I'm doing the Oly 2X 20 week training program, so I went through the trainings that I have on schedule, added up the time, looked at my performance for Feb, and then nudged up the performance. I arrived at the following for my goals:
Run - 32 Miles
Swim - 9100 yards
Bike - 160 miles

Those numbers look kind of whimpy, but that's what my analysis yielded, and I have to trust the program.
2008-02-29 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1243517

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
thinair - 2008-02-29 9:40 AM

I came in late in February and somehow missed the call to challenge. I'm doing the Oly 2X 20 week training program, so I went through the trainings that I have on schedule, added up the time, looked at my performance for Feb, and then nudged up the performance. I arrived at the following for my goals:
Run - 32 Miles
Swim - 9100 yards
Bike - 160 miles

Those numbers look kind of whimpy, but that's what my analysis yielded, and I have to trust the program.

For March that is..............
2008-02-29 10:10 AM

User image

Ah, February.

Running..going longer and a little faster and for the most part running three times a week.

Feeling really strong on my bike and started transitioning into running after workouts. I am really excited to get on the road a do some long rides.

Swimming is improving. I have found the source of my shoulder pain and when I have gotten in the water, I can do a mile and not be dead.

I did not get the time in I wanted, but life happens!! I'm really happy about my running improvements and all and all pleased with February.
In March, I will definitely put the time in swimming as well as maintain the rest.

Put aerobars on my bike this week and am taking her for a spin Saturday. If ya'll don't hear from me again, I suffered a tramatic bike injury probably in the aero position and could not unclip!! Wish me luck and everyone have a great week end.
2008-02-29 10:44 AM

User image

Lake Tahoe, CA
Now that I'm outside doing some running and riding, I'm going to start using the route tool. This is pretty cool stuff. I did my first route yesterday, and although it's a really short run, it can give us the idea of how this works. It would be fun for me to see where everyone is actually training.
Check out my blog, and click on the route link for yesterday.
Alex
2008-02-29 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1243159

User image

Regular
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Ridgelake's Group - Re-Opening for More Awesome Folks!
Greetings Happy Family,

My month went well as far as running is concerned. I exceeded my goal of 25 miles for the February Challenge that I joined. I feel more like a real runner now!

I also hit my strength training goals, but did not meet my biking and swimming goals (those were low to start with, in order to focus on runnning).

I'm still trying to keep up with a 12 week half marathon plan, but am sidelined a little by my usual sore throat. I don't have a plan for March right now other than to get healthy and keep up the running. I'll work on biking and swimming as my health improves.

The good news is that the sun is starting to show more regularly and it's possible to run outside. I hope you are all thawing out too!

Keep up the good work everyone. This Winter work will pay off later!

Joann

2008-02-29 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
I too missed teh February goals, but can share my experience nonetheless.

I started basically from the couch 3 weeks ago. In that time, I've been able to hit the pool about 5 times, ran 3 times and biked 3 times. I also hit the core workouts pretty strong, doing 3 the first 2 weeks and 2 the last.

I was derailed with a bad cold beginning this week, and with my brother's first child being born. My strategy is for nutrition to be the last part that comes in line and I haven't started focusing on that yet, however I have started thinking about what I'm eating which I consider to be a start. It is clear nutrition affects how I feel on any given workout.

I'm on a 20 week sprint program (officially started just this week) so all-in-all I'm happy with the progress, but have quite a lot of work to do still.

Jesse
2008-02-29 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hmmm I missed the challenge. Guess I started afterward. So what is the goal for March??? I have my first DU the 29th.
Scott

Okay I really am leaving now.
2008-02-29 1:37 PM

Regular
I haven't defined my goals in numbers yet. I feel like February was a success for my training. I have quit whining about running (ok, almost quit); I followed the training plan I am using; I am feeling stronger than when we started this specific training. For March, I plan to increase my running and biking mileage. I will consider March's training a success if....I complete my duathlon April 6th alive and without stopping (in that order). I do hope to get more outside road rides in March. The DU is held outside on roads (not trails or on trainers), and I need to get used to how my new road bike shifts.

For those of you who train alone and outside, I recommend using the RoadID. I think there is a link to it somewhere on this website.
2008-03-02 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Happy Sunday everyone!

What does everyone have planned for the week ahead?

For me, it may be a very light week.  A recovery week it appears.  I've got several appointments during my normal workout time.  Further, I did something to my foot a week ago and its keeping my from running and biking. I had hoped that it would be settled down by now, but its still sore.  This is where being patient is so darn hard to do.  But longterm, its critical.

Hope everyone else has a better week planned!

2008-03-03 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Frustration.

What exactly does that mean? I know it when I'm feeling it, but what is the meaning of frustration? Is it a perceived failure to achieve expectations? Is it the inability to effectively perform as desired?

As I get further into my training, I'm finding the swim training to be increasingly frustrating. When I examine what is frustrtating me, I think I expect to have a little bit more "wind" in the swim by now. I can't swim further than 50M really without sucking wind. Granted, I'm up to 6 or 7 X 50M sets, but the lack of distance is starting to concern me. Sometimes I think "How the hell am I going to swim 400M?"

Trying to calm myself down, I think about the fact that I haven't had a meaningful swim in about 20 years. I also think about the fact that I've only had 7 training sessions with 39 to go.

So back to my ponderance. Should I be frustrated at this point? Are my expectations a little high?

I'm looking for the voice of reason amongst those of you far more experienced than I.

Jesse

2008-03-03 9:48 AM

I am not sure if I should consider February a success or not, I was unaware of the challenge in the thread (that was the week I was away, but kind of wish I had been able to try it for Feb). February was a challenge: vacation, extra work commitments, and frigid weather.... all in all, I was disapointed in the number of hours of training I put in, but I am actually quite happy with some of my progress. I had the strongest run I have ever had on Sunday, running 40 mins straight without fatique, took it nice and easy at first and increased to 6 min mile sprint in last 5 mins. I feel like I definitely could have run at least another 20 mins. I am enjoying the run now too, which is a bonus.

I am ramping up for outdoor training, and cannot wait. I bought a heart rate monitor over the weekend so that I can monitor my HR while biking and running outside. The temperature is supposed to rise to +10 degrees for the rest of the week from the -10 or so that we have been having, so I am planning on getting some outdoor running in this week. Sun and weather have really helped to boost my desire to train more recently.

I am going to set some goals for March:

Run: 60 km
Swim: 10 km
Bike: 300 km
2008-03-03 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Jesse, I'd really recommend Total Immersion Swimming by Terry Laughlin for you and your swimming.  Get both the book and the DVD.  Its a really good program for learning to swim efficiently.  The type of swimming you want to do in triathlon.  It will start out mostly drills and the like.  But thats good.  You'll learn piece by piece.  It really helped me when I was getting into swimming.
2008-03-03 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1248688

User image

Regular
brideout - 2008-03-03 8:48 AM

increased to 6 min mile sprint in last 5 mins.

WOW! Way to go! I only get to that kind of speed with the help of wheels.
2008-03-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1246849

User image

Regular
Ridgelake - 2008-03-02 8:49 AM

Happy Sunday everyone!

What does everyone have planned for the week ahead?

I think I may try and get one or two "two-a-day" workouts in this week with a swim or run in the morning and a bike trainer ride in the evening. I need to start getting my volume up pretty soon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ridgelake's Group - Filled up with Fantastic Folks! Rss Feed  

of 19