Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 146

2024-10-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

My "off-season" began today with over an hour down in the Pain Cave.  No rest for the weary, though I'm indexing away from SBR stuff for the next three weeks and doubling down on core/PT/yoga stuff.  Legs were dead this morning on my short bike ride - I must have really gotten at it on Sunday.

2024-10-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: #5289965

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Fairly gentle 35’ run at lunch today. I skipped lifting this morning. My neck has been sore/spawning for a couple of days and this morning it just felt wiser to not so strain myself.

T-42 minutes until our dog meet and greet/possible adoption appointment!! Can’t wait!!!
2024-10-08 1:01 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Fairly gentle 35’ run at lunch today. I skipped lifting this morning. My neck has been sore/spawning for a couple of days and this morning it just felt wiser to not so strain myself. T-42 minutes until our dog meet and greet/possible adoption appointment!! Can’t wait!!!

Good luck, Gretchen!

2024-10-08 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove
T-42 minutes until our dog meet and greet/possible adoption appointment!! Can’t wait!!!

So? How'd it go? Do you have 2 new excitable running buddies now?
2024-10-08 3:24 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

So? How'd it go? Do you have 2 new excitable running buddies now?

Don’t leave us hanging!
2024-10-08 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
As mentioned before, last week was cr@p. I picked up quite a nasty head cold, one last gift from winter. I almost made it through without any real sickness time off. Well 1 day off work, and about 14 hours sleeping seemed to do the trick and I feel like I'm through the other side of it now. Although my HRV has dive bombed the last 2 days so something to keep an eye on.

This week, much better start. An hour easy ride on zwift and 1/2 hour lifting heavy things and rolling around on a yoga mat doing my patella physio Monday. 60 minute treadmill run Tuesday evening, and 1,250m/30minute swim this morning. A hard (cruise intervals) ride and more patella PT on the cards tonight.

I've also had some good news on the scheduling front, I'm confirmed my build up race for Ironman, I'll be doing the Tauranga Half on 18 Jan. This was unexpected as the 18th happens to be my Mother in Laws 65 birthday, so a pretty significant party to attend. Anyway, family politics have worked in my favour this time, as some out of town family members couldn't possibly come that week because flights are expensive so the party will be the week before, and I have permission to go play triathlon for the weekend. Happy days.

2024-10-08 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike. Other than your funny sign induced detour, well done on your relay. A podium is awesome work. What's the off season plan for you?

@Gretchen, Smart decision not straining yourself. Off season is for recovery, last thing you want is to make a minor injury major now. Maybe fence building is the cause?

@Nat, How's the training going? Are you still getting a new mountain bike to play with?

@Nicole, hope you're doing good.

Have a great week everyone.
2024-10-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: #5289971

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
We spent three hours at the shelter and came home with two new pupsters. I’ll post photos when I get on an actual computer. We got a two year old terrier mix female (42 lbs—name tbd) and a 7 year old Plott hound mix male (38lbs—Wilbert). They get along and are both settling in pretty well so far. Wilbert is already snoring away on the couch. **swoon**
2024-10-08 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog @Mike. Other than your funny sign induced detour, well done on your relay. A podium is awesome work. What's the off season plan for you? @Gretchen, Smart decision not straining yourself. Off season is for recovery, last thing you want is to make a minor injury major now. Maybe fence building is the cause? @Nat, How's the training going? Are you still getting a new mountain bike to play with? @Nicole, hope you're doing good. Have a great week everyone.

I'm doing the infamous BT Coach Jorge Martinez offseason FTP builder cycling build.  And keep healing my ankle, which still isn't quite right, but I think it will be evenutally.  And strength/core/yoga/PT stuff.  And find the pool once in while if I can.  I really blew off cycling getting back to running this year...I really want to sharpen my strength again now that I have a running base back. 

2024-10-08 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove We spent three hours at the shelter and came home with two new pupsters. I’ll post photos when I get on an actual computer. We got a two year old terrier mix female (42 lbs—name tbd) and a 7 year old Plott hound mix male (38lbs—Wilbert). They get along and are both settling in pretty well so far. Wilbert is already snoring away on the couch. **swoon**

YAY welcome new family members!!  My wife, and to a lesser extent my daughter, are really allergic to animals so I'm living the dog life through you vicariously.

2024-10-09 1:35 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

We spent three hours at the shelter and came home with two new pupsters. I’ll post photos when I get on an actual computer. We got a two year old terrier mix female (42 lbs—name tbd) and a 7 year old Plott hound mix male (38lbs—Wilbert). They get along and are both settling in pretty well so far. Wilbert is already snoring away on the couch. **swoon**

Congrats to all 4 of you! Looking forward to seeing pics!

2024-10-09 1:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nat, How's the training going? Are you still getting a new mountain bike to play with?

Training? What is that thing you speak of?
I’ve totally fallen off that wagon. Averaging about 2 hours farting around a week, just like ordinary people. I have purchased a mountain bike though and have been farting around on that a couple of times, it’s very nice.
I will make an attempt to go run intervals tonight with the group but that will just be farting around, around people who are running intervals.

Achilles is getting better but still terrified to do anything energetic and hurt it for good. Will be playing floorball on Saturday though, that should do it.

2024-10-09 8:32 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove We spent three hours at the shelter and came home with two new pupsters. I’ll post photos when I get on an actual computer. We got a two year old terrier mix female (42 lbs—name tbd) and a 7 year old Plott hound mix male (38lbs—Wilbert). They get along and are both settling in pretty well so far. Wilbert is already snoring away on the couch. **swoon**

YAY welcome new family members!!  My wife, and to a lesser extent my daughter, are really allergic to animals so I'm living the dog life through you vicariously.

Man...you just gotta throw out the whole family and start again!
2024-10-09 8:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
After a wild night of acclimatizing the pups to the house, I was up for masters swimming this morning. We have a few weeks here to get them used to our routines, so we are trying to normalize early bedtime/early wake up and leaving the house or me. My wife tells me the puppers were distressed when I left this morning at 5:35 for swimming. Awww...I'm not quite spare human yet!!

2750yds at the pool this morning. Will follow later this afternoon with a bike ride after it warms up a bit (45F is too cold for my biking bones) and a walk with the pups. We have to be careful walking the girl, because she isn't spayed yet. She has an appointment on Monday to get the job done. I hope we don't do anything stupid in the mean time not even thinking about it, since it has been about 20 years since we had a dog that could get pregnant! I was thinking about taking them to the dog park this week, but then I remembered...no...bad idea!

Pic attached (I hope)...
Brindled pup is a Plott hound mix, 7yo male named Wilbert. And...he is totally a Wilbert. Within 15 minutes of being in the house he was on the bed, asleep, snoring. His name will remain the same.
Black gal nearly in my lap is a terrier mix, 2yo female currently named Kailani. That will change. She is super lovey (almost clingy) and gentle as can be. I do not, however, think she has been still for five minutes total the entire time we have had her.

I'm totally smitten with both of them.

(thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
thumbnail_IMG_0401.jpg (150KB - 1 downloads)
2024-10-09 8:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Man...you just gotta throw out the whole family and start again!

LOL! that's a very good idea
2024-10-09 8:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

After a wild night of acclimatizing the pups to the house, I was up for masters swimming this morning. We have a few weeks here to get them used to our routines, so we are trying to normalize early bedtime/early wake up and leaving the house or me. My wife tells me the puppers were distressed when I left this morning at 5:35 for swimming. Awww...I'm not quite spare human yet!!

2750yds at the pool this morning. Will follow later this afternoon with a bike ride after it warms up a bit (45F is too cold for my biking bones) and a walk with the pups. We have to be careful walking the girl, because she isn't spayed yet. She has an appointment on Monday to get the job done. I hope we don't do anything stupid in the mean time not even thinking about it, since it has been about 20 years since we had a dog that could get pregnant! I was thinking about taking them to the dog park this week, but then I remembered...no...bad idea!

Pic attached (I hope)...
Brindled pup is a Plott hound mix, 7yo male named Wilbert. And...he is totally a Wilbert. Within 15 minutes of being in the house he was on the bed, asleep, snoring. His name will remain the same.
Black gal nearly in my lap is a terrier mix, 2yo female currently named Kailani. That will change. She is super lovey (almost clingy) and gentle as can be. I do not, however, think she has been still for five minutes total the entire time we have had her.

They look happy

Don't worry about the female getting pregnant by Monday. Female dogs can only get pregnant 2 or 3 times a year and you know when it's time.
For my dog it was every 7 months.
First she was on her "period" and bled all over the house (one week), that's when we started being careful even though at this stage she wasn't in the mood for it.

When the bleeding stopped (or change colour,), that's when she was h*rny and may have run away to find love (one week). So extra careful here. Then we were usually careful one more week to be on the safe side.

2024-10-09 6:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Pic attached (I hope)...

The 3 of you look very happy. Enjoy each other. Are they going to do run training with you? After 'fixing' that is.
2024-10-09 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5289977

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I think the black one (Purl) might be up for run training. Wilbert is an old man who is totally content to just hang out. I’m not thinking he will be running with me.
2024-10-10 3:36 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I think the black one (Purl) might be up for run training. Wilbert is an old man who is totally content to just hang out. I’m not thinking he will be running with me.

OLD? 7 yo? that's about your age in dogs years...
2024-10-10 7:13 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Precisely! :D

As with me, he's only as old as he feels/acts, but unfortunately, he's clearly lived a pretty hard life. He's got a hitch in his back legs, had a tumor removed from his boy bits a few weeks ago, and doesn't have any front teeth (worn down from eating food off concrete). He's an old man...just content to lay on any soft surface he can find, preferably snuggled up next to one of us.
2024-10-10 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I already love Wilbert - he's so happy someone is taking care of him and I'm sure the female will torture him mercilessly as she should. 

When I was in high school, we had a beagle follow our cat home (we lived on what used to be a small farm in the country, so all of our pets just kinda came and went as they pleased).  He immediately took to me, but the poor thing had clearly been mistreated as he would flinch away when you would open your hand to pet him and it took the poor guy a while to trust us.  He was indestructable, too, surviving being hit by a car TWICE, before finally getting cancer and crossing the rainbow bridge when I was in college. 

Glad your little pups found their forever home. 

2024-10-10 9:52 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I already love Wilbert - he's so happy someone is taking care of him and I'm sure the female will torture him mercilessly as she should. 

When I was in high school, we had a beagle follow our cat home (we lived on what used to be a small farm in the country, so all of our pets just kinda came and went as they pleased).  He immediately took to me, but the poor thing had clearly been mistreated as he would flinch away when you would open your hand to pet him and it took the poor guy a while to trust us.  He was indestructable, too, surviving being hit by a car TWICE, before finally getting cancer and crossing the rainbow bridge when I was in college. 

Glad your little pups found their forever home. 

Wanna share indestructible dog stories? I got one...my childhood dog Kippy, a beagle mix. I also grew up on a small farm in the middle of no where with animals that pretty much came and went as they pleased (do not ask me to count the number of cats we had over the years). Kippy was indestructible. She was run over by cars at least three times (and at least once with an ATV), including once when she was running behind our wagon on a hayride (I told you it was the country!). She got hit by a car, so my dad stopped and picked her up and put her in the back of the wagon with all us kids. About 10' later, Kippy puked all over my sister, jumped out of the wagon, and proceeded to run the rest of the way home. Not too long after that, she gave birth to a litter of puppies. She also came home with a bear trap snapped around her neck once after being gone about a week. We figured she spent most of that time getting the trap out of the ground. My dad had to saw the trap off with a hacksaw, because he couldn't get it to open wide enough to get her head out. She was hoarse for about a month, but seemed to suffer no real ill effects. She too died when I was in college, which now that I think about it, means she was about 16 years old.
2024-10-10 9:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Precisely! :D

As with me, he's only as old as he feels/acts, but unfortunately, he's clearly lived a pretty hard life. He's got a hitch in his back legs, had a tumor removed from his boy bits a few weeks ago, and doesn't have any front teeth (worn down from eating food off concrete). He's an old man...just content to lay on any soft surface he can find, preferably snuggled up next to one of us.

Well sounds like he's found his new happy place after a rough time.

Our girl is 9 now, she still runs a bit, but only easy runs. She does not enjoy anything resembling intervals, or anything over 90 minutes ort so. 45-60 Z2 is her happy place. Which is a bit sad, she did all my run training with me the last 2 Ironmans. Long runs are going to be lonelier this time around.

Photo from a run on the beach in younger days, seeing as we're sharing fur babies

(_V2ILJjxn0ZQtfqKFUpsw139FoRi9Tbdik43cLHDq3w-2048x1536.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
_V2ILJjxn0ZQtfqKFUpsw139FoRi9Tbdik43cLHDq3w-2048x1536.jpg (283KB - 0 downloads)
2024-10-10 9:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat, How'd the interval club run go? But more importantly, you've purchased a new bike (excellent financial decision BTW) but we haven't seen a bike p0rn post? I am sadly disappointed.

@Gretchen, Hope the newly extended family is going well.

@Me, Much better week than last week so far. 1 swim, 2 zwift rides, 2 treadmill runs, 3 patella kneehab sessions and 1 stretchy session. That sounds more like Ironman training.

Today is Mrs Bullfrogs birthday. So going to be a no train day, off to a nice restaurant for a proper grown up dinner and evening out. Which will be a nice change. For the weekend I've got 1 more run, and 1-2 bikes scheduled (depending on if Fridays planned ride is cancelled or moved, TBC) and some fence building, and hopefully removal of the temporary fence for the cabin project, slowly getting there.

Have a good weekend team.

Go Lakers! (If we're playing this week)
2024-10-11 9:31 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A "fun" morning of training Gretchen style. I jumped in the pool and swam 20 yards and then my neck spasmed. Holy heck...I've had neck spasms before, but this one is bad. I actually went to urgent care. I never go to urgent care. An hour later I walked out with muscle relaxants and steroids on board via injection, and prescriptions for steroids, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxants. She also sent one in for the poison ivy I managed to get over the weekend (insert eye roll about why the heII I can't go into my yard without getting poison ivy!). She noticed it while looking at my neck, which she diagnosed from across the room when she walked in because apparently the muscle is so knotted there is a bulge. Awesome. I did manage to get in about 1500yds of kicking at masters. Somehow my watch got screwed up and registered 4075, which is completely out of the question.

Oh...and Purl is in heat now. She is scheduled to be spayed on Monday, so of course she goes into heat today. fml
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 146

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1081 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland