Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 146

2024-10-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I already love Wilbert - he's so happy someone is taking care of him and I'm sure the female will torture him mercilessly as she should. 

When I was in high school, we had a beagle follow our cat home (we lived on what used to be a small farm in the country, so all of our pets just kinda came and went as they pleased).  He immediately took to me, but the poor thing had clearly been mistreated as he would flinch away when you would open your hand to pet him and it took the poor guy a while to trust us.  He was indestructable, too, surviving being hit by a car TWICE, before finally getting cancer and crossing the rainbow bridge when I was in college. 

Glad your little pups found their forever home. 

Wanna share indestructible dog stories? I got one...my childhood dog Kippy, a beagle mix. I also grew up on a small farm in the middle of no where with animals that pretty much came and went as they pleased (do not ask me to count the number of cats we had over the years). Kippy was indestructible. She was run over by cars at least three times (and at least once with an ATV), including once when she was running behind our wagon on a hayride (I told you it was the country!). She got hit by a car, so my dad stopped and picked her up and put her in the back of the wagon with all us kids. About 10' later, Kippy puked all over my sister, jumped out of the wagon, and proceeded to run the rest of the way home. Not too long after that, she gave birth to a litter of puppies. She also came home with a bear trap snapped around her neck once after being gone about a week. We figured she spent most of that time getting the trap out of the ground. My dad had to saw the trap off with a hacksaw, because he couldn't get it to open wide enough to get her head out. She was hoarse for about a month, but seemed to suffer no real ill effects. She too died when I was in college, which now that I think about it, means she was about 16 years old.

Terminadog

2024-10-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: #5289989

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
A very chill weekend around here. Yesterday was my dad’s birthday, so I drove up to spend the day at my parents’ house. No training, which was good for my neck. Neck is feeling better, but not 100%. Muscle relaxants are great! Today I took Purl for a 2.25 mi walk. It took us 50’, but she was having a good old time sniffing everything. It does not count as training by any means, but a bit of leash time in anticipation of her being a running partner in the future. She gets spayed tomorrow, so we have to wait until the healing is done.
2024-10-13 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

A very chill weekend around here. Yesterday was my dad’s birthday, so I drove up to spend the day at my parents’ house. No training, which was good for my neck. Neck is feeling better, but not 100%. Muscle relaxants are great! Today I took Purl for a 2.25 mi walk. It took us 50’, but she was having a good old time sniffing everything. It does not count as training by any means, but a bit of leash time in anticipation of her being a running partner in the future. She gets spayed tomorrow, so we have to wait until the healing is done.

Hope the neck continues to be on the mend. And I'm sure doggo enjoyed sniffing out her new haunts. Best wishes to Purl for a quick recovery after tomorrow.

(1d120532aab38342c2f64761ae9fba90.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1d120532aab38342c2f64761ae9fba90.jpg (43KB - 2 downloads)
2024-10-13 7:48 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ironman training week 3/23 done and dusted. Back on track after being a bit sick last week.

Swim x1, 30m, 1,250m. With Mrs BF's birthday on Friday, I only had the 1 opportunity for a swim so happy with this.

Bike x4, 5hr 2m, all zwift. Bit a step up on the bike this week, with the 'harder' mid week ride increasing to 90min. Tough, but manageable. About an hour less than planned, Fridays rescheduled (to Saturday) bike got shortened due to fatuige from a morning run and spending the day building. Sundays long ride also got shortened, due to life/family commitments. Overall happy with my work, I think shortening things was the right decision.

Run x3, 3hr 5m, 23km. My training plan called for 4 runs, with 2x30ish minute efforts. My physio wants no more than 3 runs per week, an hour each. So for now the physio wins, even if it makes red boxes in TP. Just ticking along at the moment. Nothing much to report.

Strength and Mobility x5, (4xPT and 1xStretching) 1hr 45. In an ideal world, would probably be 1 more stretch, but happy. Got all my patella rehab work this week, first time for a while, so that's winning.

Overall, 10hr 20 min worth of training, and a big week bouncing back from the head cold.

Coming up, week 4 is my first planned cutback/recovery week. It's going to be lighter than week 3, but more than the sick week2. Well timed as I've got a couple of work trips, so the schedule is going to get a bit mixed up.
2024-10-14 3:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Solid week Andrew, Ironman, here you come!

How's the neck Gretchen? Did it just lock? Scary.

Mike, how's off season treating you? Well done on that sprint relay btw

Nicole? where are thou?

Robert, I guess he's left for good....

After a couple of weeks (or more?) of feeling tired, like I'm getting sick with no interest in any kind of training (or work for that matter), I played floorball on Saturday with work mates and a few others and that cured me. It was so much fun!

One hour on the trainer yesterday, I think I am back (ish, it's still off season)

So this week I intend to go run intervals with the club on Wedneday (didn't make it last week) and go mtb training with the other club on Thursday. We'll see what the achilles says about that.

Have a great week all

Oh, and, as we are sharing pics of dogs, here's my girl.

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-10-14 4:03 AM

(IMG_1556.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1556.jpg (1458KB - 2 downloads)
2024-10-14 4:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
duplicate

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-10-14 8:46 AM

2024-10-14 7:33 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Hope the neck continues to be on the mend. And I'm sure doggo enjoyed sniffing out her new haunts. Best wishes to Purl for a quick recovery after tomorrow.

Certainly not broken, but we don't want to contribute to the pet over population!
2024-10-14 7:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up at o'dark o'clock (i.e.4am) for a 52' interval run before heading to the gym for a light lifting session. I do not want to do anything to aggravate my neck, which is feeling much better after a weekend of rest and muscle relaxants. I wanted to make sure to have everything done in time to drop Purl off at the vet for her procedure this morning, and not have to worry about getting in an afternoon workout. Since off season came upon me, my afternoon workouts have found a way to be less important than a number of things...like grocery shopping, sitting outside on the patio, work, etc. I need to get more disciplined, but without a race on the calendar, it is hard to do. I was even looking for HM and Marathons somewhat local to me last night. I must be getting desperate!
2024-10-14 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hope Purl does OK today! 

@Andrew:  nice week - interesting push back around run frequency as you and I both believe in the value of an extra run even if short, but I guess it's time to listen to the doctor;  great work on getting on prioritizing the PT and strength work!

@Gretchen:  enjoy the chill time and schedule flexibility - you'll be back on a grueling schedule in no time

@Nathalie:  sounds like you have an exciting week planned - floor ball sounds like a blast

I'm a week into my "off-season"  and the The Wife is making sure Fat Thor doesn't show up this year.  I've back off a bunch on SBR but got in over 5 hours of strength/core/PT/yoga last week.  I was pretty beat up yesterday so just went for a short walk/jog and then sat in the hot tub for 30 minutes before watching the Ravens win again.  Work is nuts this week so will have a weird schedule, then we go to Williamsburg for a few days to chill and play golf before my true off-season bike-thrashing plan starts. 

2024-10-14 11:25 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat, Beautiful fur baby. Good to see you're back. Do you have a goal for off season? Some weakness to work on, body composition, strength/flexibility etc? Now's the time.

@Gretchen, Did I see 'looking for Marathons in your local area'.... It was only a few weeks ago you assured us that you didn't have a Marathon itch to scratch I'm with you though, an event booked and paid for on the calendar is one of the best things for training motivation.

@Mike, Yup, I have unashamedly become a big fan of run frequency. But, Mr Physio is pretty adamant that I have lots of rest between runs, and don't run on consecutive days. And for now, healing this knee, so I have another 2-3 decades of running is more important than an extra run this week. So even though I'm technically in 'Ironman Training' getting those 4 PT sessions in is the main workout priority. Yay for no fat thor this off season!

For myself, Monday was a 45 minute jog on the treadmill, and a 25 minute PT session. Today, I'm having my planned rest day while away for work. A bit of an annoying trip to be honest. Our machine tested well, and will be good to go in a few weeks for the start of production, so good that we were done by lunch. Unfortunately we've got meetings with people tomorrow who were off site today, so can't go home yet. So a very boring afternoon, with not much to do. And, on a scheduled rest day, when I didn't even bring a pair of running shoes with me. Should have biked Monday and be running now instead of typing this... Oh well, such is life.
2024-10-15 4:25 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—I’m sure they have stores where you went! And…you’ll eventually need new running shoes anyway, so you’d just be getting ahead of the game. :D

2024-10-15 5:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Andrew—I’m sure they have stores where you went! And…you’ll eventually need new running shoes anyway, so you’d just be getting ahead of the game. :D

agreed, that's a lame excuse for not running
2024-10-15 5:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nat, Do you have a goal for off season? Some weakness to work on, body composition, strength/flexibility etc? Now's the time.

The plan for this off season is to

get the achilles sorted (so easy on running)
play floorball
watch hockey and drink beer

2024-10-15 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by bulfrog @Nat, Do you have a goal for off season? Some weakness to work on, body composition, strength/flexibility etc? Now's the time.
The plan for this off season is to get the achilles sorted (so easy on running) play floorball watch hockey and drink beer

Fat Thor approves of this off-season plan. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-10-15 7:59 AM
2024-10-15 8:01 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by bulfrog @Nat, Do you have a goal for off season? Some weakness to work on, body composition, strength/flexibility etc? Now's the time.
The plan for this off season is to get the achilles sorted (so easy on running) play floorball watch hockey and drink beer

Fat Nat designed the plan, she's quite proud of it

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-10-15 8:43 AM
2024-10-15 10:36 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

This plan sounds amazing!

2024-10-15 10:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Really easy Z1 "run" this morning for 35' at 4:30, followed by 2750 yds in the pool at 6. All done and home by 7:30, which was the plan, because today I had to get my Covid vaccine booster and pick up Purl from the shelter after her spay. I wanted to make sure to be all done before those events, because either one really could derail any afternoon workouts. My last three boosters have been real doozies, so I expect to have some side effects. Last time was lymph nodes so large it looked like I was trying to carry golf balls under my arms. Purl did really well with her spay. She seems to be totally fine, already running around in the yard. I have no idea how we are going to keep her "calm" and not running or jumping for two weeks. Sedation? Anyway, I also filled out all the paperwork and we are officially their new home. Last week was a trial, but they just didn't know that about the only way we wouldn't have kept them is if one of them bit off a limb from one of us, and even then possibly we would have found an excuse for why it was our fault they had to do such a thing. We are animal softies.
2024-10-15 10:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

With all due respect, you wouldn't be able to handle this plan. Some parts of it, sure but not the whole plan in all its beauty, including NOT doing anything else than those 3 things. I am not sure I can

2024-10-15 11:01 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

She seems to be totally fine, already running around in the yard. I have no idea how we are going to keep her "calm" and not running or jumping for two weeks. Sedation?

with difficulties. I can't remember if I told you but we took ours in for an emergency spay this Summer because she had a tumor in the uterus. She jumped in the car at the vets when we picked her up like nothing had happened. We had to keep her on a leash at all times for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I also filled out all the paperwork and we are officially their new home. Last week was a trial, but they just didn't know that about the only way we wouldn't have kept them is if one of them bit off a limb from one of us, and even then possibly we would have found an excuse for why it was our fault they had to do such a thing. We are animal softies.

official congratulations!

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-10-15 11:02 AM
2024-10-15 1:41 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

With all due respect, you wouldn't be able to handle this plan. Some parts of it, sure but not the whole plan in all its beauty, including NOT doing anything else than those 3 things. I am not sure I can

Fair...

I just assumed you meant all of these things IN ADDITION to something like a whole house remodel or "just" a HIM training plan.
2024-10-16 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Perfect running weather here today, so I converted my planned hour interval ride to a 90’ run. It was gorgeous!

2024-10-16 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Perfect running weather here today, so I converted my planned hour interval ride to a 90’ run. It was gorgeous!

Now that's how you do an off-season.  Well done - glad you enjoyed it.

2024-10-16 8:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

agreed, that's a lame excuse for not running

All excuses are lame. I'm sorry to let you all down.
2024-10-16 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

100% approval of watching hockey and drinking beer. Make sure you log those sessions to strava though, it is training after all

If coach Andrew could suggest one thing though, maybe look at some strength/rehab/prehab work for the achilles, on top of reduced running so you're fighting fit for next year.
2024-10-16 9:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Coach Andrew totally agrees with Coach Mike, swapping a bike for a run because it was a nice day to go for a run is a perfect off season strategy.

@Me, back from my travels. Did an hour of Z2 zwift riding last night and a PT session. Tonight will be a repeat of Monday with 45min on the treadmill and PT. Ticking those boxes.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 146

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1081 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland