General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-06-13 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2919027

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
jazz82482 - 2010-06-13 8:49 PM
bryancd - 2010-06-13 8:16 PM
Monty - 2010-06-13 11:01 AM Congrats to Fred (PennState) on posting a smoking 4:45 at Eagleman today even with what looks like an extra long swim. All the swim times look long, even for fast swimmers I know in the race. Great job out there in the heat and wind!
Fred QUALIFIED for Kona today at this race. The last slot in M40-44 rolled to 12th and when nobody took it, they offered it up to ANYBODY at the slot allocation in the AG. Fred was 9th. Fred is THE MAN.
Wait, so did he actually take the slot? Is he going?

Wondering same thing...though it doesnt sound like it........sounds like 12th took it....????

2010-06-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2337428

User image

Fred was 9th in his AG.  I think there were 2, so maybe he got the first?

2010-06-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2918977

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

bryancd - 2010-06-14 10:16 AM
Monty - 2010-06-13 11:01 AM Congrats to Fred (PennState) on posting a smoking 4:45 at Eagleman today even with what looks like an extra long swim. All the swim times look long, even for fast swimmers I know in the race. Great job out there in the heat and wind!
Fred QUALIFIED for Kona today at this race. The last slot in M40-44 rolled to 12th and when nobody took it, they offered it up to ANYBODY at the slot allocation in the AG. Fred was 9th. Fred is THE MAN.

Awesome job Fred!  Doesn't matter if you go or don't go, that's quite an accomplishment.

2010-06-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2919038

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

papson14 - 2010-06-14 10:55 AM

bryancd - 2010-06-14 10:16 AM

Awesome job Fred!  Doesn't matter if you go or don't go, that's quite an accomplishment.

Bryancd said in another thread (tri talk) that Fred doesn't even know it yet since he wasn't at the ceremony.

2010-06-13 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Got back from a fan-freaking-tabulous training weekend with swishyskirt, robbyn2010, and kelley2010!!!!

Lake Placid was amazing...even in the downpour yesterday on our 100 mile trip to/from Lake Champlain.  I can only hope that race day brings us as many awesome memories!!!!!

Coming from an Iron-distance virgin... we all got this baby in the bag.  Just pace, pace, pace (did I say pace?)...  we did one round of the loop on Friday (thought I saw a bear), short run, then the 2.4 mile swim.  Did 100+ miles to/from Lake Champlain, taking the IM route out of Lake Placid and coming back on the loop around Whiteface (realized the "bear" was just a VERY furry looking round log).  Today was a 12 mile run on the course... loved that we were running next to the marathoners/half-marathoners! What great energy!!!

So, over all we got in 195 miles of swim/bike/run.  I ain't no star athlete, and I'm frickin' tired, but it's doable-with a smile.

Happy training you guys!

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2010-06-13 8:15 PM
2010-06-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2919077

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

WittyCityGirl - 2010-06-14 11:14 AM Got back from a fan-freaking-tabulous training weekend with swishyskirt, robbyn2010, and kelley2010!!!!

Lake Placid was amazing...even in the downpour yesterday on our 100 mile trip to/from Lake Champlain.  I can only hope that race day brings us as many awesome memories!!!!!

Coming from an Iron-distance virgin... we all got this baby in the bag.  Just pace, pace, pace (did I say pace?)...  we did one round of the loop on Friday (thought I saw a bear), short run, then the 2.4 mile swim.  Did 100+ miles to/from Lake Champlain, taking the IM route out of Lake Placid and coming back on the loop around Whiteface.  Today was a 12 mile run on the course... loved that we were running next to the marathoners/half-marathoners! What great energy!!!

So, over all we got in 195 miles of swim/bike/run.  I ain't no star athlete, and I'm frickin' tired, but it's doable-with a smile.

Happy training you guys!

Sounds awesome. Great job.  You mention pace, is that important????

2010-06-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2919080

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Congratulations Fred.  I heard a rumour that no wetsuits allowed????  Might account for slower swim times?

Wittycitygirl and swishyskirt (and the others I don't know   ) - sounds like an awesome weekend and a great confidence booster.   Did you see cusetri up there too?
I'm heading up there next weekend with my training group and coach - can't wait!
2010-06-14 6:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-14 7:25 AM

Expert
Long Island, NY

Well done, Fred.  Quite an accomplishment!

2010-06-14 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2919191

Master
Dunedin
jackjack - 2010-06-13 10:33 PM

Wittycitygirl and swishyskirt (and the others I don't know   ) - sounds like an awesome weekend and a great confidence booster.   Did you see cusetri up there too?

Yup!!! Saw him and his wifey up there... she joined in the reindeer games for the Sunday run. =)

Can I tell you how awesome it is to meet other BTers in person?! Like, the vibe of that environment completely changes to this super crazy awesomeness!  Can't wait to meet you others in July!
2010-06-14 7:42 AM

Master
Dunedin
Pain relievers came up during a chat this weekend, here's what Tylenol says (well, to save you the trip to the site, it says it's safe):
http://www.tylenol.com/page.jhtml?id=tylenol/headbody/subfmarathon.inc

I had been under the impression that all pain relievers would do damage to your kidneys during an endurance event, hence why I threw that up there.

2010-06-14 7:59 AM

Master
Dunedin
So, we made mental notes of all the things to share with BTers about and now I forget them!

1) If you're CAMPING AT A STATE PARK for IMLP please CHECK YOUR RESERVATION in about a week or two.  We got the skinny that NYS camping may be going extinct.

2) If you have family that wants an easily accessable (sp?) spot to see you on the run-we were able to see the turn around on Riverside Rd/River Rd(St?) by driving on 86.  Don't know if it'll be blocked off on race day, but we drove by and saw the marathoners yesterday and thought it was a good spot.

3)We stayed at Wilmington Notch State Park. It was right on the bike route and took about 15 minutes to get to Mirror Lake.  Perfect spot if you're doing a training weekend (if the park stays open, that is).  Didn't have to pay for a shower (Whispering Pines charged us).  $20/night.  Just watch site #47...it was REALLY tight for a truck, Honda civic, two tents and a partridge in a pear tree.  Whispering Pines is another camping option, though.  I got more of a "camping" feel at the state park however.

4) We ate at Cedar Run Cafe in Keene - good food, on the "granola" side of dining but the coffee was organic fair trade stuff (if that's your bag) and I had a zucc muffin and pumpkin muffin that rocked like whoa.
Ate at the LP Pub/Brewery - we all already know this place is good!!
Ate at the Dancing Bears - Vegetarian friendly, I had the portabello shroom sanwich and it was a darn hearty meal.  I don't recommend the mac n cheese though.  It tasted icky and had a soupy consistency.  I was looking more for a comfort food side dish! 
Ate at a little coffee shop at the end of the Alpine Mall.  For $5 I got an egg breakfast sandwich (at 3pm) with a drink and the coffee shop guy was really nice. 
Ate at a little coffee shop just up the street from Dancing Bears.  That was the best banana bread I've had in a long, long, long time. =)

5) In my super wicked humble opinion... my least favorite climb was getting out of Lake Placid.  Just because each time I've done it I'm always thinking about that descent that's coming up!  Getting through Wilmington and getting back to Lake Placid are also like climbs, but they didn't strike me as that annoying.

On the run, the little hill by the ski jumps and the hill that we take on 73 (it intersects with main st on the way to Mirror Lake) seemed like they could be really annoying on race day, but nothing that's impossible.

6) we averaged 14 mph on the bike rides and I ran about 10:15 min/mi pace on the run.  I was the slow poke in the group, but Kelley had mentioned that she was thankful she had someone holding her pace back because she was better able to enjoy the experience... I guess for what it's worth it's something to keep in the back of your head!
2010-06-14 8:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
New York
Congratulations Fred! 
Also WittyCity--sounds like you had a blast and an awesome confidence-boosting weekend!

I headed out on a 90-mile ride on Saturday but after about 30 miles, started having chills/fever, feeling really out of it and exhausted. Went home and slept the whole rest of the day. Nice workout, at least for the immune system.

Sunday I still felt crappy, went for a run but it was cut short after a few miles by a bear cub who was sitting in the middle of the dirt road (this was in Vermont). He was really cute but I figured mama bear was close by and I wasn't gonna mess with her. I did a quick u-turn, ran back home and back to bed to sleep off the rest of the illness. Better today, back to training and I sure hope I can have a weekend like yours soon! 

WittyCity wrote:
"Got back from a fan-freaking-tabulous training weekend with swishyskirt, robbyn2010, and kelley2010!!!!

Coming from an Iron-distance virgin... we all got this baby in the bag.  Just pace, pace, pace (did I say pace?)...  we did one round of the loop on Friday (thought I saw a bear), short run, then the 2.4 mile swim.  Did 100+ miles to/from Lake Champlain, taking the IM route out of Lake Placid and coming back on the loop around Whiteface (realized the "bear" was just a VERY furry looking round log).  Today was a 12 mile run on the course... loved that we were running next to the marathoners/half-marathoners! What great energy!!!

Happy training you guys!"
2010-06-14 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2919654

Did 115 miles (longest ever) on Saturday followed by 5 mile run. Flatted at 35 miles and realized I forgot my tire levers. Decided to make like McGyver and snapped off the arms of my Oakley shades and used them as levers. It actually worked and I then snapped them back in put my shades on and continued my ride. Memo to File: Do not ever forget levers again!

Up to LP next weekend for Fireman Ironman Camp......
2010-06-14 9:37 AM

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
100 miler yesterday.  My garmin was out of back, but over 6600 ft of climbing, almost no flat.. great training day, but wish I had accurate data.. It's a well established ride, been around for years, so I know my bike comp was right. 
2010-06-14 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2919819

greyguy - 2010-06-14 10:06 AM Did 115 miles (longest ever) on Saturday followed by 5 mile run. Flatted at 35 miles and realized I forgot my tire levers. Decided to make like McGyver and snapped off the arms of my Oakley shades and used them as levers. It actually worked and I then snapped them back in put my shades on and continued my ride. Memo to File: Do not ever forget levers again! Up to LP next weekend for Fireman Ironman Camp......

Did the same thing 2 weeks ago - forgot my levers and got a flat.  I used the tapered part of my skewer lever.  First I tried the stylus on smart phone and that broke in half!  I don't know if my Oakley arms snap off?  Good thinking though!

Kudo's to everyone who got 100-milers and plus in.  I gotta get there!! SOOON!

2010-06-14 11:26 AM

Sounds like an awesome training weekend for everyone!  Congrats to PennState on Eagleman...I had some friends that did it and I heard the run was ridiculous.

Great tips on IM training weekend, thanks!  I am up this weekend with Train This in Rochester NY to go hit the course up!!!

Unfortunatly, it was a forced rest weekend for me....still having IT band issues and I did a few rides, but no running yet ":-(  Anyone have any wisdom for ITBS speedy recovery?  Please share!!
2010-06-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2920312

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
 Anyone have any wisdom for ITBS speedy recovery?  Please share!!

Foam roller, massage (it's gonna hurt) and stretch.. Have you changed anything about your bike setup lately? also, stretch your lower back out, that can be part of it.  Any extra kicking hard in the pool?  
2010-06-14 11:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
115 on Saturday and I felt really good afterwards. We're almost there people!!
2010-06-14 12:34 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
trigirl244 - 2010-06-14 12:26 PM

Sounds like an awesome training weekend for everyone!  Congrats to PennState on Eagleman...I had some friends that did it and I heard the run was ridiculous.

Great tips on IM training weekend, thanks!  I am up this weekend with Train This in Rochester NY to go hit the course up!!!

Unfortunatly, it was a forced rest weekend for me....still having IT band issues and I did a few rides, but no running yet ":-(  Anyone have any wisdom for ITBS speedy recovery?  Please share!!

PM'd you with ITBS recovery tips. I have no love for that wicked tissue, but I think I've finally conquered the bugger.

Great training everyone! Keep it up!
2010-06-14 5:13 PM

trigirl244 - 2010-06-14 12:26 PM Sounds like an awesome training weekend for everyone!  Congrats to PennState on Eagleman...I had some friends that did it and I heard the run was ridiculous.

I had it for four months in 2008.  The foam roller will help alleviate it.  The foam roller should hurt like all Hell.  Even try bending your lower leg up and down while foam rolling.  But the foam roller is equivalant to a tooth brush -- it will help prevent ITBS but it's not going to solve the true cause of it.  Usually the root cause is weak hip flexors, glutes and psoas muscles (the muscles that connect our upper half with the lower half.  Yoga and stretching (IT BAND stretches especially) have helped me.  A.R.T on my glutes and hamstrings helped A LOT (very painful though).  I also bought orthotics, that helped me as well with pitched roads especially. 

Edited by Dream Chaser 2010-06-14 5:15 PM

2010-06-14 5:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
New York
Trigirl244--Foam roller. DC is right, if you're doing it right you will bite your teeth together in agony while you're doing it. Right up there with being in labor... But it works. Foam roller and/or rolling around on a tennis ball is awesome for so many things like that.

Also try icing it, and get new shoes. I get nagging little injuries and pains like that when my shoes have too many miles on them, even if they still look pretty new. New shoes always help. I hope you feel better soon.

2010-06-14 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2918200

I was up there this weekend for the Endurance Nation Training camp. We were told during one of the evening talks, by one of the campers who apparently had an in with the NY State police, that the course will go past the left on 86 in Upper Jay about a mile and a half to Stinkville Bridge (I'm sure thats not the name of it, but it is something like that). Then back South to the 9/86 intersection and make a Right. At Halletsville right about a mile towards the bridge and then a turnaround back to 86 and another right to Wilmington. Rest of the ride is unchanged.
2010-06-14 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2921495

wow that is some run-on sentence...
2010-06-14 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2921317

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Dream Chaser - 2010-06-14 6:13 PM

<  I also bought orthotics, that helped me as well with pitched roads especially. 

I think hands down the best investment I have made in the past two years was to get a pair of custom fitted (where they cast your feet and take your whole injury history into account) orthotics from a podiatrist. My achilles tendonitits and plantar fasc. are non existent now and my knees feel better as well. Well worth the $175 that your insurance plans won't pay for......which really irks me. The conversation went like this:
Me.."So your telling me because I run and am healthy you won't pay for them."
Ins company: "Yes."
Me: "So if I stop running, gain 120lbs, become a type 2 diabetic, then you will pay for them?"
Ins company: "Yes."
Me: "So your incenting me to be lazy and have serious health issues."
Ins Compnay: "Is there anything else we can help you with today?"
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193