BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-07-14 4:31 AM
in reply to: #1526778

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Subject: RE: lrobb's group - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed!
Cashmason - 2008-07-14 1:03 AM

54 mile bike ride down to San Diego for my birthday today.

Easy ride, most of it was slightly downhill. Rode the train back. Yes it has 3 bike racks per car, where you hang the bike on the wall.

Happy birthday.

I only got two miles in yesterday, heart just wasn't in it. Was originally planning on 45 or so.

Saturday was a good one though: 1:20 run followed by 2500 yards swimming.

2008-07-14 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1351842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Happy birthday Cash

1 hr run on Saturday.  1 hr swim lesson Sunday, noticing a lot of improvement, but still ways to go

Edited by Dwayne 2008-07-14 7:19 AM
2008-07-14 10:29 AM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
I raced the Blacktail tri this weekend - still feel like I'm choking in the wetsuit, I'm going to order a two piece vest type this week. So, the swim took forever and I was last out of the water.
Then the first mile of the bike was an 11% grade - walked up that. After the climb it was kind of fun with rolling hills - and that 11% grade going back down to the run.
Course by then I was trashed and the run was half on rolling trails.
But this is the first one I've completed with OWS so I'm pretty happy about it.
2008-07-14 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1527658

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Cool!

I hope the 2-piece works for you, it sure does make it a lot easier to get the right fit dialed in.
2008-07-14 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Way to go Wendy!
2008-07-15 8:44 AM

New user

Great job completing the OWS.

Saturday I got some training in on the course I will do my first Tri on, it is in 2 and a half weeks.  It is a Sprint with a short (300 yards) swim.  I did the swim and the bike leg.  The bike section is 15 miles and I was a little disapointed with my time but sence it is a one way course (not out and back, just out) I had to save a little energy to ride back.  All total I did approximately 300 yard swim and 30 miles on the bike.  The weather was great and the bike course follows a very scenic route along a nice revervoir.  Had a good day.

2008-07-15 2:23 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
anybody know where I can get a one or two piece wetsuit with a really big neck hole - -that I can zip up or pull on myself?
I need to practice OWS on my own multiple times per week and the full wetsuit I have takes someone to zip me up PLUS te neck hole makes me think I'm choking.
I've looked at the bibs but our water is pretty cold 60-65 degrees.
I was looking at sleeves at promotion that may work - any ideas?
2008-07-15 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1531429

Extreme Veteran
OKC
That water sounds good right now!

LOW NECKLINE — This feature facilitates breathing, eliminating the "first timer's choking sensation," often accompanying one-piece suits. This feature makes it easier to turn your head to breathe and to raise your head to look forward. This also reduces chafing.

http://www.desotosport.com/wetsuits/index.asp
2008-07-15 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
on trainer:

10min warmup
20 x [30 sec hard + 1:30 easy]

30 min moderate run / brick

2008-07-15 9:50 PM

Lee,

Wondering if there is still room to get in the group.  I just started on the tri seen this year finishing up my second sprint tri a week ago.  I started out seeking some competition and was quick to find it.  I literaly jumped with my first tri coming early this year with only a single swim workout, well since at least high school.  I was instantly hooked, now I want to move towards the front of the pack.  I have always been athletic, so training and motivation are usualy not a problem.  I think my biggest challenge would be setting new goals weekly, increasing the intensity of my work outs and incorporating a strong diet and strength training routine.  I am planning my next tri in another month and am toying with the idea of doing an Oly by the end of the year.  I would love to link up, be a part of a good group, it feels that I have a lot to learn.

Sam

2008-07-15 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Sam, I am thinking this round of mentorship is almost over with. They usually last about 90 days.

Am sure you are welcome here, but expect to see a new round of mentors going up in the next month or so.

10 miles running today, finished just before the All Star game.

2008-07-16 4:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Hey Sam,

Like Cash said it's almost over, but you are more than welcome for the remaining!
2008-07-16 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
I bought a trainer from BT last week should be here in a few days. No more rain outs. Acutally I usually just ride in the rain.

I am starting to really hammer my rides now as I realize that is my easiest discipline to improve on. My goal is 2 hours total for the sprit. I am about 18-20 min on the swim and am averaging 15-15.5 mph on the bike and then about 40 min on my last 3.6 mi run. This is a little longer than the race but does not include swimming and biking prior.

Anyway I think that 2 hours is doable but we will see. I am so psyched to do my first race.

I just need to buy a wetsuit. I will have only two weeks to practive with it prior to the race so I need to get on the ball.
2008-07-16 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1395304

Subject: RE: lrobb's group - CLOSED

Hi Babs:

I just dropped out of my 1st race and am feeling very much the loser. I think my first mistake was signing up for an olympic instead of a sprint. I broke a rib and it sidelined me for almost 3 weeks. I didn't think it was realisitic for me to catch up with my training since I was the only one struggling with a full time career, 2 small kids and a workaholic husband. I know you mentioned to me earlier that you also passed on your first Tri. What helped you pick yourself up and keep moving? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I really ejoy this and being part of the Tri world but I'm uncertain as to what to do next.

Thanks,

Danielle

2008-07-16 10:28 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
dude - realize that this is about you against you. It doesn't matter what any body else does. When the horn sounds it takes about 2 minutes and you realize that this race is between you and yourself.
This is my first year out and its been traumatic - I used to OWS in the ocean as a kid - now it freaks me out. with the wetsuit. I'm just learning to run - - and I'm 48
It's all good - we are all rockstars to our peers!

2008-07-17 12:53 AM

User image

Expert
Danielle,

You are not a loser! You have done a lot of training, even with a full plate of kids, job and busy husband.

I know you are looking for advice from a woman, and perhaps some with chime in.

I would suggest looking at training for a sprint, which would take less training than an olympic, and give you a goal to work for.

2008-07-17 6:29 AM

Expert
Danielle

You surely do have a lot going on especially with little kids.

I had not even seen a triathlon before, so I opted to watch the race that I scratched on and I was so glad I did. OWS was the issue for me. It is more than a test of swimming endurance! Here in Charlottesville we must have too many lawyers because there is no body of water that will permit our local tri club to practice open water. (So how can one expect to race OW without having practiced it?) I held off until there was a sprint with a pool swim, and that was my first race. It was very much a success for me. If you want to zip down to Richmond this Sunday there's another one like that - check out SetupEvents.com, last I heard there's still room for more!

Try something smaller to start with. I know I am not ready for an Olympic yet, though I'd like to do one soon, but I want to do it confident I can manage the swim. I am just the kind of person who needs to be prepared.

PS the Richmond Triathlon I was referring to was full of first timers/Moms like me (and like you) and there was a great spirit of helping each other out and cheering for each other.
2008-07-17 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1535449

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Subject: RE: lrobb's group - CLOSED
Buckcam - 2008-07-16 7:28 PM

Hi Babs:

I just dropped out of my 1st race and am feeling very much the loser. I think my first mistake was signing up for an olympic instead of a sprint. I broke a rib and it sidelined me for almost 3 weeks. I didn't think it was realisitic for me to catch up with my training since I was the only one struggling with a full time career, 2 small kids and a workaholic husband. I know you mentioned to me earlier that you also passed on your first Tri. What helped you pick yourself up and keep moving? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I really ejoy this and being part of the Tri world but I'm uncertain as to what to do next.

Thanks,

Danielle

Hey Danielle,

My first tri was a DNS - did not start. It was an olympic distance, and even though I could easily complete the swim distance in the pool, my first practices in open water were so disastrous that I pulled out. No harm, no foul.

Is there a sprint you could do coming up?

Shoot me an email if you need help creating a schedule that will work around your life. I'm a firm believer in fitting workouts into workdays instead of the other way around.
2008-07-17 4:36 PM

User image

Expert
Danskin puts on a number of Women only tri's. I think Aflac does too with Iron Girl races. The women only races are very supportive. And they have swim angels = experienced swimmers who are volunteers that swim next to racers that are scared/ nervous in the water.

Pool swim sprints are perfect for first timers.

Yesterday, a beach ocean swim for me. Met a BT'er who is a lifeguard, and he watched me after his shift was over and gave me a few pointers and things to work on in the pool.
2008-07-17 4:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
women's races would be a good idea, as would just going out and watching a race or two.

on trainer:

10 min warmup
4 x [5min hard + 5min easy]

25 min transition run

Was hitting 310+ on the first 3, struggled to keep it above 300 on the last one.

Feeling it.
2008-07-17 6:53 PM

Hi guys:

Thanks for all the great advice. I did sign up for a womens Tri inAkron this September. I'll keep going until I do it and them some.

I saw the email for the other person trying join the group. How does that work? Once our group is over do we stay together or join a new group?

Thanks!!!!

2008-07-18 12:10 PM

New user

Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Hi Irobb, complete and total beginner, needing all the help I can get. Just separated  and jam packed with energy, and not much confidence...was a bodybuilder 20 years ago until motorbike crash, was also a keen cyclist, but same crash affected that too. Just keen to actaually accomplish something,,I'm 48 and would like to do a tri when I'm 50.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Regards,
Martin 

2008-07-18 11:39 PM

User image

Expert
Martin, you don't have anything in your log so its hard to give advice.

From what you have said, I would say get in some swims and runs. If you were a keen cyclist years ago that should come back pretty fast.

If you do the workouts you could do some sprint triathlons in 3 or 4 months.
2008-07-19 4:54 AM

New user

Saltburn-by-the-Sea

Thanks Cash,

There's nothing in my log, because I haven't started yet.......well not officially...just had a walk down the beach, and up along the Cleveland Way...but only because I couldn't sleep, so I was down there at 05.30 am

I appreciate the advice....I think running is the key, as I have never been a runner, even when I did the Great North Run (half marathon) I walked most of it. Just got to get on with it now. Laughing

2008-07-19 5:28 AM
in reply to: #1541697

Extreme Veteran
OKC
It can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like to make it.

For people just starting to run, I highly recommend the run/walk approach, and 2 on / 1 off.

So you'd set up a weekly pattern like this:

mon: run
tue: run
wed: off
thu: run
fri: run
sat: off
sun: off

For each of those runs, I'd recommend taking a 30sec - 1min walk break every 5 minutes. If your watch has a timer feature you can set it to beep every 5 minutes.

Start off with as much running as you think you can comfortably handle -- better to take it too slow than too fast. Most of the times I've been sidelined were proceeded with the words "I think I can run through this" or "I think I can run another mile".

Every week, add 5 minutes to each of the runs. If you don't feel ready to add more time, just repeat the same duration for the following week. Remember though that the point of training is to get tired and recover so you become stronger.

So, let's say you're comfortable with running 15 minutes at a time, the schedule would look like this:

mon: run 15, walk break every 5'
tue: run 15, walk break every 5'
thu: run 15, walk break every 5'
fri: run 15, walk break every 5'

mon: run 20, walk break every 5'
tue: run 20, walk break every 5'
thu: run 20, walk break every 5'
fri: run 20, walk break every 5'

mon: run 25, walk break every 5'
tue: run 25, walk break every 5'
thu: run 25, walk break every 5'
fri: run 25, walk break every 5'

go back to the top, repeat from the beginning, adding 5 more minutes

This is a good "base-building" routine. Keep going like this until you can run 50 minutes at a time, then extend the walk breaks to only every 10 minutes, and you'll be set up to do just about whatever you want in this sport.

Wed/Sat/Sun: that would be a good time to add in a swim and a bike. Again, doesn't have to be anything fancy, just build up to where you can bike an hour at a time, and swim for about 30'. After you've built up to that amount of volume, you can start to add some intensity, like 10 reps of 1min hard / 1min easy on the bike, 3-5 reps of 200 yd repeats in the pool, etc....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  

of 18