BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-02-15 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1866775

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim
My two areas this week are familiar, water consumption and core

2009-02-16 6:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Michael-Core for me has a different meaning on Weight Watchers. By Core for you I'm assuming you mean your body core. Correct? Just want to make sure I'm keeping you accountable on the right thing.

I will think about what two things I want to focus on. Many I should just need to pick two.
2009-02-16 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

Hey everyone~ I did my indoor tri yesterday. 10 min swim,20min bike and 15 min run. It was fun! I volunteered from 6:30-10:30 which was great to pump everyone up..you don't have all the "fans" like you do for an outdoor tri. My wave started at 11.

The swim was good for me1/2 stroke shy of 20 lengths(500) I need to have more confidence in my swim. I should have touched the wall but I looked up half way through my lap to see if we were done...bad move. It cost me that 1/2 stroke. so 19 lengths for the swim.

The bike was on the spin bikes and speed is what the computers go by. I am a peddle masher and like high gear low cadence....this you needed the opp. low gear high cadence. So I was bouncing all over without resistance on the wheel. hit 145-150 cadence...crazy! Was happy that ended I finished 6.3 for the bike.

The run was on the TM. I started low (6.5) to get my legs back..they are not used to spinning like that. You also don't have the time to stretch them out like you do in an outdoor. then pushed to 7.2 and ended up with a side cramp at 4 min into it. I was ready to throw in the towel but pushed through and upped my speed to 8 and for the last min pushed 9mph finished with 1.8mi was hoping for 2mi but am happy with where I ended.

I did end up taking first in the 30-39age group. This is my first time placing and was very happy I dug deep and sucked it up.  Having my hubby and kids there helped. I am so lucky to have them!

Thanks Sherm for the "push yourself" challenge. it is what made me stay on and keep pushing.

I also won a headband from bondiband that says Triathlete: failure is not an option

Edited by kimk 2009-02-16 9:00 AM
2009-02-16 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

As for the challenge this week....tracking, tracking, tracking! I still do not do this! Really how hard is it to write down what I eat! uggg.  will think of another one but need to get on the bike!

As for everyone you are doing great..I also need to work on bike maintenance. I have only changed 1 tire and that was with the help of someone who knew what they were doing. Probably couldn't do it on my own!

2009-02-16 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
I go to put my healthy food in the office fridge and someone brought there leftover valentines candy to the kitchen. I will not eat it.

My goals this week are to continue to journal and get some activity in each day except for Thursday which is my rest day.
2009-02-16 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on the age group win.

I got to change a flat just yesterday (after the tune ups on the bikes) - joy

I going to just try to continue to work the plan and stay on the diet. I have added about 3 servings of vegies to my evening meal.

Today was a scheduled day off - I know I am bad but that only meant a day off for the legs. I did 45 minutes of strength training and 45 minutes swim class. At the end of the swim class I did get a new 100 yard PR - 1:22. I was not thinking and went out like it was a 50 yard dash and just had to hold on for that second lap. I see 1:teens in the near future!

2009-02-16 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1963984

Champion
No excuses!

craftyazgal - 2009-02-16 7:29 AM Michael-Core for me has a different meaning on Weight Watchers. By Core for you I'm assuming you mean your body core. Correct? Just want to make sure I'm keeping you accountable on the right thing. I will think about what two things I want to focus on. Many I should just need to pick two.

You are correct, and yes I am familiar with that "core" also as my wife is getting back to weight watchers next week.

2009-02-16 10:33 PM
in reply to: #1964160

Champion
No excuses!
kimk - 2009-02-16 9:55 AM

Hey everyone~ I did my indoor tri yesterday. 10 min swim,20min bike and 15 min run. It was fun! I volunteered from 6:30-10:30 which was great to pump everyone up..you don't have all the "fans" like you do for an outdoor tri. My wave started at 11.

The swim was good for me1/2 stroke shy of 20 lengths(500) I need to have more confidence in my swim. I should have touched the wall but I looked up half way through my lap to see if we were done...bad move. It cost me that 1/2 stroke. so 19 lengths for the swim.

The bike was on the spin bikes and speed is what the computers go by. I am a peddle masher and like high gear low cadence....this you needed the opp. low gear high cadence. So I was bouncing all over without resistance on the wheel. hit 145-150 cadence...crazy! Was happy that ended I finished 6.3 for the bike.

The run was on the TM. I started low (6.5) to get my legs back..they are not used to spinning like that. You also don't have the time to stretch them out like you do in an outdoor. then pushed to 7.2 and ended up with a side cramp at 4 min into it. I was ready to throw in the towel but pushed through and upped my speed to 8 and for the last min pushed 9mph finished with 1.8mi was hoping for 2mi but am happy with where I ended.

I did end up taking first in the 30-39age group. This is my first time placing and was very happy I dug deep and sucked it up.  Having my hubby and kids there helped. I am so lucky to have them!

Thanks Sherm for the "push yourself" challenge. it is what made me stay on and keep pushing.

I also won a headband from bondiband that says Triathlete: failure is not an option

Great job on the AG win, but maybe more importantly your next statement. You"dug deep and sucked it up" and it obviously paid off, way to go!!!

2009-02-16 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1964179

Champion
No excuses!
kimk - 2009-02-16 10:05 AM

As for the challenge this week....tracking, tracking, tracking! I still do not do this! Really how hard is it to write down what I eat! uggg.  will think of another one but need to get on the bike!

As for everyone you are doing great..I also need to work on bike maintenance. I have only changed 1 tire and that was with the help of someone who knew what they were doing. Probably couldn't do it on my own!

Yes Yes Yes, I am starting that also on Wednesday. I am talking to my coach tomorrow and then it is hardcore Wednesday on.

2009-02-16 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1965598

Champion
No excuses!

microspawn - 2009-02-16 10:55 PM Congrats on the age group win. I got to change a flat just yesterday (after the tune ups on the bikes) - joy I going to just try to continue to work the plan and stay on the diet. I have added about 3 servings of vegies to my evening meal. Today was a scheduled day off - I know I am bad but that only meant a day off for the legs. I did 45 minutes of strength training and 45 minutes swim class. At the end of the swim class I did get a new 100 yard PR - 1:22. I was not thinking and went out like it was a 50 yard dash and just had to hold on for that second lap. I see 1:teens in the near future!

Getting mighty fast in the pool man, keep it up!

2009-02-17 6:19 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Great work everyone on the successes in the pool & indoor tri AG win!  I also need to work on tracking my intake as well as my workouts.  Keep up the good work!

2009-02-17 11:27 AM

New user
Kim - great job on the indoor tri, I'm impressed, I just want a respectable finish for mine.
Tammy - any update? are you feeling better?
James - hilarious on the bike fleet, I am clueless about bike maintenance and I haven't changed a flat yet so I'm always worried

I've been sick for a week, sore throat, achy, little cough, headache. I took a rest day on Friday but otherwise did my workouts at an easier level. Still fighting the cold.

Sherm - I saw your reference to a coach, I was thinking about joining a training group with a coach, I have lots of basic questions on my training plan and could use help with technique in all 3 sports and w/nutrition, transitions, etc. What do you guys think of coaches? I'm afraid to spend the $$$ so part of me says to just keep plugging along and as long as I finish I should be happy, but then part of me says if I'm working this hard training, it would be nice if it was getting me somewhere and my time is so limited it'd be great to maximize the results.

Goals - Log my training, and eat more fruit/veg. I think I made it over the "training makes me hungry" phase, I've managed to lose another pound, so down 4 pounds now and not yo-yo'ing, knock on wood I can keep that up.
2009-02-17 12:52 PM

User image

New user

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and I am still here. I have been biking (on the trainer) nearly every day for the last 2 weeks. Recovery is coming, but not as quickly as I would like (which is a little depressing). Will attempt swimming again this week, but running is not in the plan for another month or so. Oh and right now....its a blizzard outside! Oh spring where are you???

2009-02-17 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I rode the rollers this morning for 30 minutes. The rollers put a lot of pressure on my wrists. You do not notice how often you move your hands around around when you ride. I am getting very comfortable on the rollers but not enough to just be able to take my hands off of the bars.

At lunch I decide to try and redeem myself from the running time trial that I failed at last week. This was a little different. It was cool outside and I ran a known 5k route on the long leaf trace. There has been some construction so I am not completely sure of the exact distance so I added about 30 feet to the start / finish. This is an out and back and the back is just a little bit up hill. I ended up splitting this run perfectly. At the turn around I was at 9:55 and finished at 19:50. This would be a personal best. My average heart rate for the 19:50 was 173 with a max of 189. My complete max heart rate is right about 195 and I have been really close to this (194) during a real 5k. I might have just a little bit more speed in me yet. This is a good thing since my real 5k PB is 19:56. All of the 5k's are starting soon - should be a good year.
2009-02-18 1:09 AM

Champion
No excuses!
nice swim and trainer ride today, talked with my coach and it looks like the meat and potatoes starts next week, the volume is increasing and its time to get serious!
2009-02-18 1:10 AM
in reply to: #1966322

Champion
No excuses!

Trudee - 2009-02-17 12:27 PM Kim - great job on the indoor tri, I'm impressed, I just want a respectable finish for mine. Tammy - any update? are you feeling better? James - hilarious on the bike fleet, I am clueless about bike maintenance and I haven't changed a flat yet so I'm always worried I've been sick for a week, sore throat, achy, little cough, headache. I took a rest day on Friday but otherwise did my workouts at an easier level. Still fighting the cold. Sherm - I saw your reference to a coach, I was thinking about joining a training group with a coach, I have lots of basic questions on my training plan and could use help with technique in all 3 sports and w/nutrition, transitions, etc. What do you guys think of coaches? I'm afraid to spend the $$$ so part of me says to just keep plugging along and as long as I finish I should be happy, but then part of me says if I'm working this hard training, it would be nice if it was getting me somewhere and my time is so limited it'd be great to maximize the results. Goals - Log my training, and eat more fruit/veg. I think I made it over the "training makes me hungry" phase, I've managed to lose another pound, so down 4 pounds now and not yo-yo'ing, knock on wood I can keep that up.

Didn't miss this Trudee, I will give my long winded thoughts tomorrow on this, its 2AM and I am ready to pass out so I will sleep on it and answer this tomorrow

2009-02-18 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Kim I forgot to say congrats on your indoor tri. Awesome job.

I'm not sure exactly how many yards I did today because Kristin is working with me on figuring out how I can improve. I felt really good about today. She figured I was stopping my stroke short and not touching my leg low enough which was messing up my stroke. I really noticed a difference on my rotation when I paid attention to this. She also had me work on my cadence. OMG that was exhausting. I will keep working on what she taught me today. We meet again next Wednesday.
2009-02-19 11:16 AM

New user
I'm battling a cold for over a week, any advice? Sore throat, small cough, achy, tired, headache (no fever). I've been trying to do my workouts just with less effort. But I went for a run outside yesterday, 41 degrees and feel worse again today (I thought I was at the tail end, but now I feel like it's a full fledged cold again). Should I take a day or two off or keep up with my easy workouts? My tri is on 6/21.
2009-02-19 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
I would take a few days off. If you figure how many training hours you have between now and June taking 10 or so (if you average 3 hours of training a day) for a few days rest won't make or break your race. Take care of your body or this could go on for a lot longer. I use airborne and zinc lozenges. My mom uses the zinc thing you shove up your nose but I think that is if you get it when you first start to feel symptoms. Sorry you feel so yucky. Feel better. Oh, I also like hot juice with the airborne.
2009-02-19 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1966322

Champion
No excuses!

Trudee - 2009-02-17 12:27 PM  Sherm - I saw your reference to a coach, I was thinking about joining a training group with a coach, I have lots of basic questions on my training plan and could use help with technique in all 3 sports and w/nutrition, transitions, etc. What do you guys think of coaches? I'm afraid to spend the $$$ so part of me says to just keep plugging along and as long as I finish I should be happy, but then part of me says if I'm working this hard training, it would be nice if it was getting me somewhere and my time is so limited it'd be great to maximize the results. Goals - Log my training, and eat more fruit/veg. I think I made it over the "training makes me hungry" phase, I've managed to lose another pound, so down 4 pounds now and not yo-yo'ing, knock on wood I can keep that up.

Opinions on coaching: This can be a giant can of worms but here it goes. I am now on my second coach. I hired one last year but wouldn't listen to him and was not ready to give the commitment that I thought I wanted. This time around I am open minded and willing to give my best to do all she asks me to do.

Coaches well good coaches will ask what you are looking for and let your opinion be incorporated into your training plan. It is a delicate balance of what are your goals and how hard they need to push you to achieve what you want.

It all comes down to what you are looking for. I can totally understand the feeling of "am I doing enough, the right things?" so that is a descion you have to make. If you look into coaches make sure you ask enough questions til you feel comfortable. Make sure it is a right fit of what you want and are comfortable.

Hope this helps as I believe with my goals a coach is the way to go, any other questions make sure to ask.

2009-02-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: #1970565

Champion
No excuses!

Trudee - 2009-02-19 12:16 PM I'm battling a cold for over a week, any advice? Sore throat, small cough, achy, tired, headache (no fever). I've been trying to do my workouts just with less effort. But I went for a run outside yesterday, 41 degrees and feel worse again today (I thought I was at the tail end, but now I feel like it's a full fledged cold again). Should I take a day or two off or keep up with my easy workouts? My tri is on 6/21.

take the time off to get healthy, doing workouts sick is not going to let your body heal and kick the sickness, you have plenty of time to train for your race

2009-02-20 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran

My goals for last week were to journal and to get activity in every day.

Journaling-I did journal meaning that I wrote down what went in my mouth. What I didn't do was watch what I was eating. I knew it and just did it anyway. I also didn't write down portions or points just what went in my mouth. That was my goal for last week though just to write down for the whole week to get me back in the habit.

Activity-Here is what I did for this last week

Friday-24 minutes on the TM 1.05 miles (yes pathetic)

Saturday-Bike 59:56 for 12.81 miles

Sunday-Bike 21:00 for 7 miles (stationary bike)

Monday-Bike 1:29:34 for 13.39 miles (was with a friend and she was on a mountain bike and couldn't do my pace. Also did the stationary for 0:12:00 for for miles

Tuesday-Bike 0:30:00 for 10 miles stationary and 0:42:00 for 2.25 on the TM

Wednesday-Swam with instructor for 45 minutes not sure on yards but maybe 600.

Thursday-AHHH rest day

I went to weigh in last night and was up .2 lbs which I know is because of how I ate. Better luck to me this week in that department.

This weeks goals for me is to figure out my convuluted training plan of what works for me. Since my race is not traditional mileage the plans aren't really set up for that so I'm taking a bit from them. For the swim I'm using the info I found on the site about the 12 week swimming program. For the bike I'm sort of using the Olympic distance for the 20 week plan but since I'm in the bike challenge this month that's sort of not necessarily what it is. For the run I'm going to start the Couch to 5K program since that is the distance for my race. I'm going to do that for the 9 weeks and then just try to keep running the 3x a week for the 30 minutes plus the 5 min WU and 5 min CD so I'll be prepared on race day to run the 3.1 miles. Perhaps next year for a true Olympic distance race

I hope everyone has a great week.

Trudee-I hope you are resting and feeling better soon.

2009-02-20 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1972324

User image

Rochester, New York
Looks like a decent week crafty... You'll be able to do those distances with no problem.  I'm in the same boat weight loss -wise.  I eat whatever the hell I want but somewhat limit the portions, and I have the fantasy that my exercise will account for that.  Somehow it doesn't!  This was definitely a better food intake week for me, but not perfect.  I figure I'll get it back eventually and start taking off the weight again.
2009-02-21 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1974162

Champion
No excuses!

rjdorman - 2009-02-20 10:18 PM Looks like a decent week crafty... You'll be able to do those distances with no problem.  I'm in the same boat weight loss -wise.  I eat whatever the hell I want but somewhat limit the portions, and I have the fantasy that my exercise will account for that.  Somehow it doesn't!  This was definitely a better food intake week for me, but not perfect.  I figure I'll get it back eventually and start taking off the weight again.

Know your pain man, I have to laugh at those commercials for Bowflex, Treadclimber, insert diet or piece of equipment here that say 20 min a day, 3x a week is all you need.  I work out between 8-10 hours on average and it is a fight to lose weight.

2009-02-22 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yeah - I agree about the diet thing. I know people that don't do anything and really think that if they run 5 miles a day they can eat anything the want. That is like a donut!

That would work if you were 16 I suppose - not for me.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18