BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-04-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2090743

User image

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: Yesterday's stuff
skrtrnr - 2009-04-17 6:33 AM
mammatri's - 2009-04-17 6:21 AM

Wow!! I was busy all day yesterday & didn't get a chance to check the threads. Just skimmed through. TR, that's good news about deferring your race. You need to get strong & healthy again. Just take it easy.

Stacie, I've never met anyone with as much energy as you have. Do you think you could send some down south? I'm just barely keeping up with what I have to do and my kids are grown & gone.

Amy, good luck with your half mary this weekend. Spend a few minutes at the start just getting into your groove. Then you'll find your best pace. Good job tapering and resting up the last few days!

Yanti, you give the best advice! I really admire your experience and knowledge. I hope someday I know as much as you.

Btw, I'm having trouble with my swimming right now. I swam in my wetsuit since January because of some heater  problems at the pool where I workout, and to get used to managing it during my HIM. It was great to swim in. But now I'm not using it because the water is warming up and my race is over. The problem is that I really have to kick alot more to stay on top of the water and it's wearing me out. I've also been trying to improve my arm pull, so I feel like my stroke has completely fallen apart. I swam my main set yesterday with a pull buoy so I could concentrate on pulling with my forearms. When I took it off for my cool down, I thought I was gonna drown! I don't feel nice & streamlined like I did. I'm really trying to glide with each stroke like when I was wearing my wetsuit, but that whole roll & extension that I thought I had mastered is not working anymore. HELP!!!!

CATHY.  your so kind.  as for energy, some days im not so sure where it comes from.  i try to live a pretty balanced life. when i train, i train HARD, but when i rest, i rest WELL.  i guess thats what keeps me going.

like today.  im leaving my trng schedule 'behind', and im going for a SOUL RIDE. 

no watches, no set time limits, not worrying about distance, or cadence or finish time.

just riding for the FUN of it.  im gonna enjoy the SUN and enjoy being OUTSIDE. 

its gonna be a GRAND ADVENTURE round the Burgh.

i like the structure/rhythm of trng BUT i know i need to take a break from it all, from time to time too.  [i can get a little 'caught up' in it]

its 'easy' right now to get my trng sessions in too.  my kids are in school all day.

i used to train AND cyberschool/homeschool all three of my boys and i manged to get everything in.  so on those days when i think i just cant get it all done, i GENTLY REMIND myself  just HOW MUCH i was doing last year at this time, and that pretty much takes care of any excuse i might have.

but, chk back in w me come the summer when my kids are home from school and im waking up 2-3xs a week at 4:30-5:00 to go and swim w the Masters.  

we'll see how much i energy i have then. 

SENDING ENERGY-FUSED VIBES YOUR WAY!
stacieb

Thanks. I could use them. Enjoy your ride today. My bike has a flat right nowFrown. Gonna change it this morning so I can ride tomorrow.

2009-04-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2090954

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Yesterday's stuff
mammatri's - 2009-04-17 8:17 AM
skrtrnr - 2009-04-17 6:33 AM
mammatri's - 2009-04-17 6:21 AM

Wow!! I was busy all day yesterday & didn't get a chance to check the threads. Just skimmed through. TR, that's good news about deferring your race. You need to get strong & healthy again. Just take it easy.

Stacie, I've never met anyone with as much energy as you have. Do you think you could send some down south? I'm just barely keeping up with what I have to do and my kids are grown & gone.

Amy, good luck with your half mary this weekend. Spend a few minutes at the start just getting into your groove. Then you'll find your best pace. Good job tapering and resting up the last few days!

Yanti, you give the best advice! I really admire your experience and knowledge. I hope someday I know as much as you.

Btw, I'm having trouble with my swimming right now. I swam in my wetsuit since January because of some heater  problems at the pool where I workout, and to get used to managing it during my HIM. It was great to swim in. But now I'm not using it because the water is warming up and my race is over. The problem is that I really have to kick alot more to stay on top of the water and it's wearing me out. I've also been trying to improve my arm pull, so I feel like my stroke has completely fallen apart. I swam my main set yesterday with a pull buoy so I could concentrate on pulling with my forearms. When I took it off for my cool down, I thought I was gonna drown! I don't feel nice & streamlined like I did. I'm really trying to glide with each stroke like when I was wearing my wetsuit, but that whole roll & extension that I thought I had mastered is not working anymore. HELP!!!!

CATHY.  your so kind.  as for energy, some days im not so sure where it comes from.  i try to live a pretty balanced life. when i train, i train HARD, but when i rest, i rest WELL.  i guess thats what keeps me going.

like today.  im leaving my trng schedule 'behind', and im going for a SOUL RIDE. 

no watches, no set time limits, not worrying about distance, or cadence or finish time.

just riding for the FUN of it.  im gonna enjoy the SUN and enjoy being OUTSIDE. 

its gonna be a GRAND ADVENTURE round the Burgh.

i like the structure/rhythm of trng BUT i know i need to take a break from it all, from time to time too.  [i can get a little 'caught up' in it]

its 'easy' right now to get my trng sessions in too.  my kids are in school all day.

i used to train AND cyberschool/homeschool all three of my boys and i manged to get everything in.  so on those days when i think i just cant get it all done, i GENTLY REMIND myself  just HOW MUCH i was doing last year at this time, and that pretty much takes care of any excuse i might have.

but, chk back in w me come the summer when my kids are home from school and im waking up 2-3xs a week at 4:30-5:00 to go and swim w the Masters.  

we'll see how much i energy i have then. 

SENDING ENERGY-FUSED VIBES YOUR WAY!
stacieb

Thanks. I could use them. Enjoy your ride today. My bike has a flat right nowFrown. Gonna change it this morning so I can ride tomorrow.

CATHY.  bummer bout the flat.  get it fixed quick.  if you having near as nice a day as i am weather wise, man oh man, time to get a ridin'.

i just learned how to change flats.  my luck, ill get one.  [now that i know how to change one]

im all squirrly.  my brother just called to say that he's 'running late' [no surprise there]  hes taking all three of them fishing this weekend.  bless him.

and im waitin on my husband to come and pick me up.  he's doing career day at my sons school.

he's gonna 'drop me in' onto the trail in the city [wouldnt it be cool if it was from a helicopter???] and i have to pedal my way back home.  J/K

i just need to pedal my way to where we are meeting for an early dinner. taking some side trips along the way though. the REI store to look a bike schwag is on the list of MUST SEE attractions.

he couldnt take a 1/2 day off so he's making it to me by taking me out to dinner, to our favorite place, on our favorite street in Oakland.

isnt that sweet?

LIFE YOU GOTTA LOVE IT SOMETIMES.
stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-17 8:48 AM
2009-04-17 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2090852

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
wgraves7582 - 2009-04-17 7:36 AM

Morning Manatees.

Back at work today .

I guess you have noticed something - if I am not at work I am not on BT!

Don't tell my boss

Got a beautiful ride in yesterday - yippee!

ahhhhhh.

beautiful ride, theyre the best,
arent they BILL?

now get back to work
you SLACKER. 

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-04-17 8:45 AM
2009-04-17 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2090852

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: Bill at Work
Hmmmm....I noticed you mentioned a wonderful bike ride, Bill...but how is the swimming going??!! Tongue out    (Just taking my Manatee teammate role seriously!! LOL)

Hope the boss didn't catch you on BT!!
2009-04-17 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: More on bikes!
Okay....I am starting to feel really frustrated about this bike thing!  Not that I could ride today since we are getting a super wet snow!   We were in Cheyenne yesterday and within 2 hours they had 8"+!!   It was a long 90 miles home.  Stacie, I am jealous of your "incredibly sunny day"!!

So now back to the bike.   I went to two different LBS yesterday - one is a Specialized store, the other sells Jamis.   I really liked the guy at the Specialized...maybe because he is old like me!!!   I was measured again for standover height at both places and came up with 55/56.   They both also said I was most definitely a candidate for a WSD - the Jamis store had me sit on a GMT (??) WSD bike and said it fit well.   Anyway, new is most definitely TOO expensive!!!   Right at the end of our visit at the Specialized store, the salesman showed me the TriCross bike...and my dh thinks that is the way to go since we live on dirt roads and there are a lot of dirt roads/trails around.  The salesman said I could change out to smooth tires for the race but that this would be much more serviceable for now.   I looked today and it seems to have great reviews...only problem is that it doesn't come in a WSD.

Can you more experienced bike people answer a few questions that I don't want to ask at the LBS?  

-If I measure for a 56, can I make a 54 work?  (I was offered the Ruby Comp on the Classifieds here, but it is a 54, she came down to  $700 shipped with new tire!).   

-If I bought a Specialized TriCross (not WSD) could I change the handle bars to a women's specific?  My thinking is that the WS handlebars are narrower, brakes are closer to the bar, etc.

Any other thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

This is one of those times it would be nice to live in a bigger city, close to LBS and more used bikes.

Sharie
2009-04-17 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2091699

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2009-04-17 11:45 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: just stuff
Amy - good luck on your race this weekend!

Yanti - thanks for the swim thoughts!   Yesterday I used a swimplan workout and it was great!   The only thing I noticed is that I need a bit more recovery time than was suggested.   10sec was ok at first but as the workout went on, I felt the need to rest 15 or 20sec sometimes.   I went ahead and listened to my body since this was only my 4th swim in many years! 

Thanks for the swim cap idea.  I will have to get one bought soon.

I have to tell you that I was really having second thoughts about all this yesterday.   On the way to Cheyenne I started thinking about the transitions and how much I have to learn still and I felt kind of panicked!   Then while looking at bikes, I kept hearing this little voice inside my head saying "what are you doing!!??"  I was feeling so overwhelmed with the choices, the $$, the shoes/pedals/gloves/helmet/shorts/shirts, etc!   The same little voice was there during my swim even though I was enjoying it and doing well with the training plan.   So please tell me I am not crazy for trying to TRI!!!     (That makes me think of something my dh once said to me : "you ask like-minded (i.e. crazy) people to tell you you aren't crazy!  What validity is there in that!?!") LOL
2009-04-17 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2091699

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: More on bikes!
Sharie, good luck with the bike hunt! Bikes are awesome ... it's just too bad I'm scared of mine so don't spend much time on it. ;-)

Seriously - it's where we are supposed to be spending the majority of our training time (or so I'm told) ... so you have to make sure that not only is it a good fit, but is it comfortable and most importantly - does it match the tri gear you already have.

2009-04-17 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2091764

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: just stuff
ranchrunner - 2009-04-17 9:45 AM

I have to tell you that I was really having second thoughts about all this yesterday.   On the way to Cheyenne I started thinking about the transitions and how much I have to learn still and I felt kind of panicked!   Then while looking at bikes, I kept hearing this little voice inside my head saying "what are you doing!!??"  I was feeling so overwhelmed with the choices, the $$, the shoes/pedals/gloves/helmet/shorts/shirts, etc!   The same little voice was there during my swim even though I was enjoying it and doing well with the training plan.   So please tell me I am not crazy for trying to TRI!!!     (That makes me think of something my dh once said to me : "you ask like-minded (i.e. crazy) people to tell you you aren't crazy!  What validity is there in that!?!") LOL

It'll all make sense once you cross that first finish line.
2009-04-17 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2091739

Veteran
Wyoming
I see you are still "playing hookie" at the office, Bill!   But, I am glad for the quick answer.   The Ruby that was offered has 5000 miles on it....is that a lot for a bike???  

My dh really thinks I should go for the TriCross - there is one on Ebay for about the same money as the Ruby but it is a 54, too.   Also, would have men's proportions on handle bars, etc.

What to do...what to do....

Sharie
2009-04-17 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2091776

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: TR's self-diagnosis
Last night I had an epiphany ... the low-energy, the headaches, the cold-can't-get-warm feeling, the shakes, the heart palps ... ANEMIA!
Diagnosed. Although by self.

I was severely anemic when I was a kid .. somehow outgrew that .. but since I went vegan last year I've been flirting with low iron levels off and on ... I'm usually very careful to get my leafy greens and peanuts and legumes into my diet every day ... lately - I haven't been so careful. Laziness combined with stress has led me down a dangerous path.

I'm a GOOD nutritionist.
Here I am - the health and fitness "expert" ... eek

I'm self-correcting, but I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday to double check my blood levels.

Just thought I'd fill y'all in. I'm taking the weekend to rest and eat better ... hopefully by Monday I'll be feeling great so I can go meet my tri club for a spin.

2009-04-17 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2091768

Veteran
Wyoming
TR - you and I are in the same boat then....I am a bit afraid of bikes, too, although I hope that changes once I actually have one to ride!   

And as far as "Tri Gear"...well, I don't have any to speak of.   I own a Speedo swimsuit that I am training in and a good pair of running shoes + running clothes...that is it.  
2009-04-17 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2091787

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2091764

Veteran
Thibodaux
Subject: RE: just stuff
ranchrunner - 2009-04-17 11:45 AM Amy - good luck on your race this weekend!

Yanti - thanks for the swim thoughts!   Yesterday I used a swimplan workout and it was great!   The only thing I noticed is that I need a bit more recovery time than was suggested.   10sec was ok at first but as the workout went on, I felt the need to rest 15 or 20sec sometimes.   I went ahead and listened to my body since this was only my 4th swim in many years! 

Thanks for the swim cap idea.  I will have to get one bought soon.

Don't even worry about transition yet. You're not crazy and you can do it! Just go slow. For now, you just need the bike and helmet. Even if you don't get new pedals & shoes at this point. You really don't need special clothes at this point, although a pair of bike shorts is nice. Academy sports near where I live has ladies shorts for $20 right now. They might not be state of the art, but they'll do for now. I had my road bike for 3 years before I went clipless. I have 1 bike jersey that I wore for my race. Usually I train in an old running shirt. I've never ridden in gloves. You can buy a swim cap for $5. When I did my first sprint, I had a hybrid. I wore running shoes for the bike ride & did the whole thing in a swimsuit. For now, just concentrate on finding a bike and making it safe (get a helmet). Then get used to riding it. Continue to get comfortable with your swim workouts and keep up your running. Don't get ahead of yourself. You're gonna do just fine.
2009-04-17 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2091804

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: TR's self-diagnosis

SpiritFire - 2009-04-17 9:57 AM Last night I had an epiphany ... the low-energy, the headaches, the cold-can't-get-warm feeling, the shakes, the heart palps ... ANEMIA! Diagnosed. Although by self. I was severely anemic when I was a kid .. somehow outgrew that .. but since I went vegan last year I've been flirting with low iron levels off and on ... I'm usually very careful to get my leafy greens and peanuts and legumes into my diet every day ... lately - I haven't been so careful. Laziness combined with stress has led me down a dangerous path. I'm a GOOD nutritionist. Here I am - the health and fitness "expert" ... eek I'm self-correcting, but I have an appointment with my doctor on Tuesday to double check my blood levels. Just thought I'd fill y'all in. I'm taking the weekend to rest and eat better ... hopefully by Monday I'll be feeling great so I can go meet my tri club for a spin.

Hey -- sounds like anemia to me. I've been anemic for a ocuple of years (also a vegetarian) but got a Rx for iron. It's called repliva. You might want to ask your Dr. about it if he recommends supplementation. I've become way more careful about food combinations, too. I discovered even the iron supplements don't get as fully absorbed when eaten with dairy (which you don't have to worry about as a vegan) or spinach and fiber-filled foods and tea. Began taking vitamin C with the iron which aids in absorption. Just thought I'd share my info.

And, I totally agree with you that yoga helps strengthen the core. I think that's what started to get my core stronger to begin with.

Boy, Stacie -- you do have lots of energy and pretty good time management skills if you've home-schooled and tri trained ,etc. etc.

Good luck on your 1/2 Amy!!

Lynn

2009-04-17 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2091787

New user

Sharie,  I am sorry you are having a frustrating time finding a bike.  They can be expensive.  I used my old rusty mountain bike for 2 years (no competitions just training)  with slick tires.  When I couldn't shift through more than 5 out of 21 gears is when I decided to search for real.  Like I said earlier I was lucky to find a 4 year old trek 2000 wsd for $500.  I bought a computer, shoes, pedals, helmet, and just yesterday had to buy new tires because last Friday's flat turned out to be a more with a big hole in the actual tire.

I did look on the wyoming Craig's List and you are right, there really isn't much.   I could keep an eye out here in Santa Barbara, Ventura, LA area.  There are three different lists for this area.  Or you could look on Craig's List and I would be happy to mail you something if it looks right.

As far as the WSD goes,  I really don't know how much it matters.  In the back of my mind I think I might be able to go faster on a regular bike because on the WSD the tires are smaller.  (If the circumference of the tire is smaller, aren't I getting less distance per revolution?)  There must be a difference with gearing or something to make up for it, but, I don't really know.  When I had the flat I borrowed my friend's bike which is regular and I did notice the handlebars are a little wider.  I didn't really mind that and it almost felt good to be a little more streched out.  You can always raise the seat to accomodate longer legs and when you do find a bike your bike shop will be able to fit you to the bike.

I wish you good luck and don't get discouraged.  It is all part of the fun!

Laurie

2009-04-17 2:49 PM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: Beth is Back!!!
Hi Manatees!

I'm back from the Big Apple and caught up on work!  Looks like you've been having a grea time.  I'll try and catch up this weekend!

I missed you all!

Edited by lastcall2003 2009-04-17 2:57 PM
2009-04-17 3:08 PM

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA
Subject: lack of motivation

So I am having a serious lack of motivation to train/workout.....I did go and sign up for a new gym membership last night so I can get to the pool.  But the weather is beautiful here and I have a thousand other things I need to do....

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and wondering whether I can actually manage to do this all.

Frown

Carole

2009-04-17 4:05 PM
in reply to: #2092273

Veteran
Wyoming
Thanks for the positive thoughts on the bike, Laurie!    I keep thinking that the $700 on the '06 Ruby Comp is a pretty good deal - especially since it includes shipping and a new back tire.    BUT....it does have ~5000 miles on it.  Being a biking neophyte, I don't know if that is a lot, a little or even something to worry about.    Here is a link to the pics she sent me on the bike http://picasaweb.google.com/jes.kennedy/BikeForSale#532418374612560... />
Also, I got to thinking today that the one LBS measure my standover directly in line with the pedals and my rear touching the seat.   The other had me scoot way up next to the handle bars since he said the top bar slopes down on the WSD and gives an inaccurate reading...so maybe the 54 wouldn't be too far off.    I do think I am a candidate for the WSD because my legs are long - I have been truly amazed to see myself in this new light - and my torso is short.   I have very small hands - my children all pass me by in glove size by the time they are 10!   The LBS that put me on the WSD to do some quick measuring, had me hold the hand grips in different positions and said everything looked just right.

Oh and....I am not 'not' having fun     I just panic now and again that this race is only 10wks away now and I feel like I should be riding.    Yesterday I started thinking that I should just buy some junkie thing at a local garage sale.

Sharie

Edited by ranchrunner 2009-04-17 4:07 PM
2009-04-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2092479

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: RE: lack of motivation
Carole - I know how you feel!   I am sure you read my earlier post about having a panic about the whole thing yesterday.  When was your Tri?    Mine is June 28th.

I know we can get through this together!

Sharie
2009-04-17 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2092479

Melon Presser
happybunny - 2009-04-17 3:08 PM

So I am having a serious lack of motivation to train/workout.....I did go and sign up for a new gym membership last night so I can get to the pool.  But the weather is beautiful here and I have a thousand other things I need to do....

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and wondering whether I can actually manage to do this all.

Frown

Carole

I think all of us deal with motivational issues from time to time.

One thing I do is make deals with myself. For example: you don't have to go to the pool--just put your swimsuit on and pack your swim bag, then see how you feel. Well, by then I'm ready to go so I always do

2009-04-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2092649

Melon Presser
ranchrunner - 2009-04-17 4:05 PM Thanks for the positive thoughts on the bike, Laurie!    I keep thinking that the $700 on the '06 Ruby Comp is a pretty good deal - especially since it includes shipping and a new back tire.    BUT....it does have ~5000 miles on it.  Being a biking neophyte, I don't know if that is a lot, a little or even something to worry about.    Here is a link to the pics she sent me on the bike http://picasaweb.google.com/jes.kennedy/BikeForSale#532418374612560... />
Also, I got to thinking today that the one LBS measure my standover directly in line with the pedals and my rear touching the seat.   The other had me scoot way up next to the handle bars since he said the top bar slopes down on the WSD and gives an inaccurate reading...so maybe the 54 wouldn't be too far off.    I do think I am a candidate for the WSD because my legs are long - I have been truly amazed to see myself in this new light - and my torso is short.   I have very small hands - my children all pass me by in glove size by the time they are 10!   The LBS that put me on the WSD to do some quick measuring, had me hold the hand grips in different positions and said everything looked just right.

Oh and....I am not 'not' having fun     I just panic now and again that this race is only 10wks away now and I feel like I should be riding.    Yesterday I started thinking that I should just buy some junkie thing at a local garage sale.

Sharie

Actually, it's fun taking this bike buying journey with you--so many things to think about! So exciting!

The Spec Ruby Comp is a good deal, especially with shipping. 5000 miles is about a medium-used bike. 2000 miles is a lightly used bike. Think about is as kind of like 50,000 miles on a car.
2009-04-17 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2092661

Veteran
El Dorado Hills, CA

Thanks Sharie...
Mine isn't until August 30th but I have such a long way to go to be ready.  I'm just having a mild case of the "holy crap what am I thinking" 's

2009-04-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2092682

Melon Presser
happybunny - 2009-04-17 4:18 PM

Thanks Sharie...
Mine isn't until August 30th but I have such a long way to go to be ready.  I'm just having a mild case of the "holy crap what am I thinking" 's

Wow, both of us will be racing on Aug. 30th! That is very cool. I am definitely having a case of the holy-craps where IM is concerned--I really do feel like a newbie all over again.

The main thing is to take it one day at a time. What's on your calendar for today? Can you do that? If not, can you do part of it? I've really struggled with fatigue this week, so I turned my runs into brisk walks. That, I could do. I try not to think about the race too much--it's really just, what can I do today?
2009-04-17 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2092649

New user

Pretty bike!  I did a quick search and read many positive things.  And free shipping!  I don't know much about milage & age so can't offer opinion on that.

I am also doing a sprint June 28. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59