General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-04-22 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2319164

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread

Just reading this post for the 1st time...
Based on my experience 2 years ago, the swim will be wetsuit legal (barely)
The run into and out of T1 is looong... I stashed shoes near the swim out so I didn't have to run barefoot.  Is that legal?  I'd like to do it again... but wanna play by the rules.

The bike course gets crowded (I was very last wave), but thinned out some after about 11 or so miles.  I don't recall much of a headwind at all.  Rolling hills, nothing too bad... a bit of vehicle traffic in the 45 mile range...  Please be careful and watch out for knucklehead impatient drivers.

The run is my achilles heel.  3 laps - no breeze, much of it with no shade on unpaved trails slowed me down.  I actually contacted the race organizers to plead that the grass be cut short close to race day so it would be a bit easier to run and see your footing...

My advice to the Northern folk... salt tablets and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate on the bike.  I'm actually gonna try the Torborn Sindballe ice in the glove trick to try and help me stay cool.

It's a great race and if you put the work in, you all will do a great job.

2010-04-22 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
I agree - the run from the lake to T1 in is long.  I found the transition area to be fairly crowded and compact.  I was really surprised at how tight everything was.  Way too many folks brought too much stuff into transition with them...buckets, personal showers, suitcases, (ok I exaggerate slightly).  After racing 2 IM events, I'm spoiled.  It was so nice to have all your transition stuff in neat little bags that are handed to you.  I raced last weekend, and I'd forgotten what it was like to have to keep all of your stuff with your bike!
2010-04-23 12:28 AM

Regular
Considering all the hydration notices for us North of TN folks, think I'll bring an IV kit and a bag of fluids and rig me an internal "speed fill".. ha ha.. 
Bit of a set back with the bike, broken crank..!!  Got replacement parts within 48hrs and local bike pro is getting everything switched out for me before the weekend.  Just in time for pushing out some 60+ plus mile rides. 
2010-04-23 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
KWest4Kona
What year were you there? I did it the last 3 yrs and it wasn't even CLOSE to wetsuit leagal.
People DONT count on that!!
Its Fla in May, temps pushing or into the low 90's with H2o into the low 80s.

FM
"The" Cube
2010-04-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2811658

The Cube,
I did it in '08.  I guess I'm mistaken about the wetsuits, I could've sworn I saw people wear them... this was before I owned a wetsuit so I didn't wear one.  Apologies if I provided misinfo.

1 hr water run this morning... trying to recuperate the knee.  Gonna try a 2.5 hour run on Sunday.  May be speed walking the run portion of this race.  Guess I'll have to do Lucky's Lake swim sans wetsuit next weekend as well...  Safe training to all.
2010-04-23 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
I am staying right at the Wilderness Lodge so happy to help coordinate dinner/meet up (taking advantage of concierge :p)

PM me mobile numbers and I will PM mine back.

I get into Orlando thursday morning should be at hotel by noon at latest.

2010-04-24 11:21 AM

User image

Carrboro, NC
I have a question for people who have raced at Disney before.

I keep hearing the run course described as an "African Grassland" run. What exactly is the terrain like?

Gravel? Dirt? Trails? Grass? Pothole pavement? Singletrack? Woodchips?  Some combination of these?
2010-04-25 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, Florida
mamooney.....

ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! + Add in two-way traffic on a 8ft wide path, some walkers/talkers to dodge, 90+ degrees, dust, and full sun = African Glassland Run.
Wear old shoes/socks as you'll want to trash them after.

FM
"The" Cube
2010-04-26 12:51 AM

User image

New user

Hi all,

First post, had been reading for a while and decided to go ahead and join! I'm excited for the race... only 3 weeks! This will be my first HIM and I'm ready to get goin- just did the Country Music Half-Marathon this past weekend...

I'm a bigger guy (260ish) and was wondering what advice people had for a nutritional plan? I'm a big believer in the cytomax and GU but I'm gonna need more calories than that... I have heard uncrustables is the way to go but not really sure... need advice!
2010-04-26 5:45 AM
in reply to: #2816037

hi

i used a ton of salt/endurolytes pills, gu, and lots of liquids.
2010-04-26 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
VandyBo92 - 2010-04-26 1:51 AM Hi all,

First post, had been reading for a while and decided to go ahead and join! I'm excited for the race... only 3 weeks! This will be my first HIM and I'm ready to get goin- just did the Country Music Half-Marathon this past weekend...

I'm a bigger guy (260ish) and was wondering what advice people had for a nutritional plan? I'm a big believer in the cytomax and GU but I'm gonna need more calories than that... I have heard uncrustables is the way to go but not really sure... need advice!

My husband is a 6', 180 pound guy and for 1/2 IM, he likes to get in 400 cals per hour on the bike.  We both use Gatorade Endurance as our base  and then add Carbo Pro to boost the calorie content per serving to where we need it to be (me @300, him @ 400).

We live in South FL and use A LOT of salt supplements in the hotter months (which is now through October).  Be VERY wary of the heat/humidity down here (if you ask me, it's more a humidity issue, b/c the sweat just doesn't ever evaporate to cool you properly).   It's also easier on the digestive system if you use 100% liquid nutrition.  That being said, we do like to carry just a bit of solid food with us on the bike 'in case' we crave it.   He like carrying peanut butter crackers and I like frosted brown sugar & cinnamon pop tart.  We will often nibble on these things during a training ride, but neither of us touched them at our first HIM.

Good luck and have FUN!

LESS THAN THREE WEEKS!!!

2010-04-26 9:19 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
VandyBo92 - 2010-04-26 12:51 AM Hi all,

In the the heat and humidity of Central FL you need to start calculating you sweat rates.  Weigh yourself naked or as close as possible, right before you head out and immediately after you finish.

Example two weeks ago in 88 degree temps, I ran 1 hour @ 7:41/mile rate on a rolling course with no shade.  Pre run weight 170.8 and Post run weight is 169.0, plus I drank 24 oz of water.  If 15.4 oz. of water equals 1 pound, then I really lost 3.3 pounds or 50 oz of fluid/sweat for a hour run. 

Do the test at the intensity you plan to race.  This will give you an idea of how much fluid you need to offset your sweat loss.  Then you need to test in training how much fluid you can safely handle.  If you can't get down the amount of fluids/calories you need, you may want to rethink your race strategy/pacing.

I'm not concerned as much about my sweat rates on the bike, but on the run I loose 50 oz/hour at HIM intensity and can only replace 30 oz/hour.  These values are only for consumption, actual absorption rate is lower.  So at my current fitness I foresee cramps in the last 1-2 miles of the run.

My plan:

Bike - 2 Powergels, 6 endurolytes, 1 bottle of GE per hour and alot of water.

Run - 1 Powergel and 2 S Caps per hour, 1 cup of GE every other aid station and 1.5 cups of water at every aid station.

Edited by BamaDC 2010-04-26 9:21 AM
2010-04-26 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
2010-04-26 12:25 PM

User image

New user

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help... I'll be working on something during my last week and a half of hard training before I start to taper! Looking forward to seeing everyone down there!
2010-04-26 10:55 PM

Regular
I'm going to join the ranks of others asking about this "interesting" 13.1 miles...???!!!  Things like grass and dirt and uneven trail and then the need to pitch your shoes at the end...!!!???  For the ones that have done this event over the past few years, what truly is the real deal with this run and what would a first timer need to be ready for?  Thank you very much.
2010-04-27 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2818614

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
adgradiology - 2010-04-26 11:55 PM I'm going to join the ranks of others asking about this "interesting" 13.1 miles...???!!!  Things like grass and dirt and uneven trail and then the need to pitch your shoes at the end...!!!???  For the ones that have done this event over the past few years, what truly is the real deal with this run and what would a first timer need to be ready for?  Thank you very much.

The run was dry and hot last year.  As one of my fellow competitors said "I have never seen so many trees and no shade!"  But honestly, I don't know if running anywhere in Florida would be any different.  (The Florida natives probably have very little comment on the course, since they train in those conditions all of the time!)  I would say it is less than 50% pavement and the rest is grassy/dirt.  I am nervous about running on anything but a treadmill, but that is because of my natural clutzy-ness.  But I survived with feet/ankles/knees intact and injury free.  I threw away my shoes at the end because they were overused anyway and I didn't want to stuff a pair of very dirty shoes back into my suitcase.  

The things that will get you through are the GREAT volunteers with ice, water, gatorade and coke, the kiddie pools filled with ice water that you can dunk your head into, and at some point they had a little sprinkler thing set up that you could run under.  

2010-04-27 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2818614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I have not done the race, but I live less than 8 miles from Disney. I am going over there this weekend and check the run course out and I will report back to everyone on Sunday.  The temps are going to be hot.  It is Floridia.  This week it is up close to 90 here by end of week.  The humidity is no where near July and August.  That helps some.  If I can I will bring a digital camera and take some pictures and post here.
2010-04-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2818826

hi

at least the run is flat. sunny and hot is the size of it. grab a sponge and keep it with u. it's a whole lot of fun. i can't wait. >3 weeks!

2010-04-27 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
To echo some prior comments, about 50% of the run is pavement & the rest is essentially a 2-track road through grass.  For those who live in areas prone to wildfires, think of the run course as similar to a fire road.  There's dirt, some gravel, sand.  As with all natural surfaces, there can be holes, roots, and other stuff to look out for.  Two years ago, I saw a woman stick her foot in a hole and fall, breaking her ankle.  So...just be careful and watch where you step.

The comment about so many trees and so little shade is very true.  The "grassland" part of the course is surrounded by trees, but alas they aren't near the run course.
2010-04-27 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
To echo some prior comments, about 50% of the run is pavement & the rest is essentially a 2-track road through grass.  For those who live in areas prone to wildfires, think of the run course as similar to a fire road.  There's dirt, some gravel, sand.  As with all natural surfaces, there can be holes, roots, and other stuff to look out for.  Two years ago, I saw a woman stick her foot in a hole and fall, breaking her ankle.  So...just be careful and watch where you step.

The comment about so many trees and so little shade is very true.  The "grassland" part of the course is surrounded by trees, but alas they aren't near the run course.
2010-04-27 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I described the course as an African grassland in my RR.  I also saw a woman hit the dirt, literally, last year.  Very uneven ground once you get off the pavement.  It's almost like tracker tracks in the dirt.  The best piece of advise I got, from Fred, was to grab 2 sponges, 1 for under the hat and 1 for in the shirt.  Keep your sponges, they used ones get pretty dirty.  Also, ask the people at the aid stations to throw the grapes in ice.  One station had frozen grapes last year and they were a life saver.  

2010-04-27 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
My 905s come in a trail version, maybe I should check them out.

How was everyone's training last week?

S:  
8600.00 Yd, 2h 27m 33s
B: 
112.70 Mi, 6h 15m
R:  
37.00 Mi, 4h 40m
Str:  
3h 10m
2010-04-27 10:57 AM

I have been monitoring...lurking...on this site for a couple of months. Now that it is really here, I am jumping in with my first posting.

This will be my first tri of this distance. I've done Sprints and an Olympic. I am looking forward to it and have no expectations on timing. I do not want to get run of the course because it is way past when everyone else has long since finished and gone home.  

I am interested in swimming at the lake I've seen mentioned here. Does anyone know if you have to send an email ahead to reserve a spot or notify them as a courtesy? When are others planning on doing that?

Thank you,
Leigh

Edited by lunderwood 2010-04-27 10:59 AM
2010-04-27 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Good luck Leigh, I am right with you on this being my first HIM.  I followed the BT Beg. HIM 20 week program, I guess I'll find out how well it prepared me in a couple weeks. 

Who else is this a first time HIM distance for?
2010-04-27 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2819640

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
lunderwood - 2010-04-27 11:57 AM

I have been monitoring...lurking...on this site for a couple of months. Now that it is really here, I am jumping in with my first posting.

This will be my first tri of this distance. I've done Sprints and an Olympic. I am looking forward to it and have no expectations on timing. I do not want to get run of the course because it is way past when everyone else has long since finished and gone home.  

I am interested in swimming at the lake I've seen mentioned here. Does anyone know if you have to send an email ahead to reserve a spot or notify them as a courtesy? When are others planning on doing that?

Thank you,
Leigh

Leigh,

A bit late to this thread, but if you're talking about Lucky's Lake Swim you do not have to reserve anything, just show up.  It's AWESOME!!!

www.luckyslakeswim.com

Make sure you get your patch and sign the wall too.  You cannot swim in the lake at the race any other day than the morning of the race.  They even yelled at us for wading in after the race.

See you guys out there and save me some food at the end.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 28