BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-02-01 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2648599

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed?

wbayek - 2010-02-01 7:11 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-02-01 6:24 PM

wbayek - 2010-02-01 3:00 PM I have a general question for everyone.  A few hours after a swimming workout, all I want to do is nap.  After run/bike workouts I really get energized.  I don't know if it's the heat in the pool, the chlorine, or what.

Does anyone else have this happen or is this yet another area where I am strange?

I wish I had that problem. When do you typically swim?

Early morning.  I just die around 11 or so.  A quick walk outside (now that it's winter) usually helps.  I don't swim much yet, I'm just wondering.  I don't remember this during summer when my swims were all in a lake.

Could be sleep? Or the warm water or you could be working harder for the same period of time and maybe not doing the same post activity regimen with eating, stretching, etc ?

2010-02-01 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2648521

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Aaron, that makes sense on the interval timing.

Warren - I feel less tired after my swims and I'm not as sore like a hard run or bike right now.  I have gotten dizzy if I push too hard swimming.  I also swim in the evenings.  Your body may be adjusting to the swim workout.
2010-02-02 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2648963

User image

NH
I agree that the swim doesn't hurt as much as either running or biking.  I can't wait to swim more.
2010-02-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
Are we ok with adding someone else to the group?  Maybe just one more?  There's a few more people who have indicated they are looking for a group.
2010-02-02 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Got in a 5 mile run this morning and a 1250 yd swim at lunch.  The run felt great but the swim was pathetic - 2:34 per 100 yds... are you kidding me?  I had some cramping in my foot... probably a little dehydrated from the run this morning.  I signed up for a 1/2 marathon on 3/21.  That's only 6 1/2 weeks away, so I'll be ramping up my run volume considerably, probably adding a mile per week.
2010-02-02 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2650178

User image

NH
Nice full day Bill.  And glad to add another half marathoner to the group!  Adding a mile a week sounds good - keep it slow and stay healthy.

As someone just advised me: "The quickest way to get faster is to stay healthy, and the fastest way to get slow is to get stupid and get hurt."

It's hard for us old, slow, farts (talking about me, not you!) to be patient, but the surest way to fall behind is to not be able to train at all due to injury.  Keep the increases at 10% a week, and don't go too fast too soon. 

I love quoting other smarter people, and as someone on the main forum said "Run lots. Mostly easy. Sometimes hard."

Edited by wbayek 2010-02-02 2:42 PM

2010-02-03 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2650178

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-02-02 1:20 AM  I signed up for a 1/2 marathon on 3/21.  That's only 6 1/2 weeks away, so I'll be ramping up my run volume considerably, probably adding a mile per week.

That's great! Looks like a lot of our group are going to be doing 1/2's this spring. I have a friend who decided last week to do a half, finished her first long training run and was diagnosed with a stress fracture...I have been pretty careful about ramping up mileage - but this got me worried that it could happen at any time (and like Wayne said - it's really hard to train when you are hurt).

I'm hoping that by keeping a balance between all three sports and slowly increasing mileage (+1 mile per week for total mileage in the next 6 weeks) I'll be able to stay healthy. Do you all find that you need to back off on a particular sport if you start feeling creaky? (For instance, I have arthritis in my shoulders. If they really start to bother me - mostly when the weather changes - I'll back off on swimming (focusing more on kicking, less volume) until they stop hurting as much...) How much does fitness in one sport affect the other sports?

(ETA - Please note - this was written while still feeling the affects of cold medication...not my most coherent post. Sorry!)
2010-02-03 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2651667

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-03 7:59 AM
billsorg - 2010-02-02 1:20 AM  I signed up for a 1/2 marathon on 3/21.  That's only 6 1/2 weeks away, so I'll be ramping up my run volume considerably, probably adding a mile per week.

That's great! Looks like a lot of our group are going to be doing 1/2's this spring. I have a friend who decided last week to do a half, finished her first long training run and was diagnosed with a stress fracture...I have been pretty careful about ramping up mileage - but this got me worried that it could happen at any time (and like Wayne said - it's really hard to train when you are hurt).

I'm hoping that by keeping a balance between all three sports and slowly increasing mileage (+1 mile per week for total mileage in the next 6 weeks) I'll be able to stay healthy. Do you all find that you need to back off on a particular sport if you start feeling creaky? (For instance, I have arthritis in my shoulders. If they really start to bother me - mostly when the weather changes - I'll back off on swimming (focusing more on kicking, less volume) until they stop hurting as much...) How much does fitness in one sport affect the other sports?

(ETA - Please note - this was written while still feeling the affects of cold medication...not my most coherent post. Sorry!)

Sorry to hear that someone else is sick, Jen!  I hear you on the stress fracture.  Two of my sisters signed up for the breast cancer walk last year (20 miles per day for three days), and after all the training, my younger sister got a stress fracture the week before the walk.  She still did some of it (we're all stubborn Italians!), but it was really tough on her.

Even though I'm a bit sock, I may try to do something light today depending how I feel a little later.  Do you guys work out if you have just a head thing?  If it's only in the head, i'll give it a shot and sometimes it feels fine.  If it's the all over tired/beat kind of cold, I'm in bed.

As far as stopping workouts, I will back off the run if my lower legs ache, and I'll keep the intensity down if my hip flexor acts up. I'm super sensitive to every tweak right now and if I need to back off I'm not worrying about it.  There's a long way to go until my 70.3, so no need to stress a missed day or two or even three seven months out.  Stretching, foam rolling, yoga stretches, self massages.

And I've been called a lot worse than Wayne, but my first name is Warren!  Smile

2010-02-03 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Definitely makes sense to back off a sport when something is tweaked a little.  That's the beauty of triathon.  Knee starts talking to you during a run, maybe focus on swim for a few days.  Shoulders are getting a little burned out from swimming, spend a few days running.

I got in a 6 mile run this morning... felt great.  I'll bring it back down to 5 miles on Friday and then try for 6.5 - 7 miles next week for my long run.  But I'll keep 5 miles as my "base distance" and just extend my long run once a week.  Hopefully, that will keep the wear and tear to a minimum and get me the distance I'll need for the race.  I'm still doing all treadmill running.  We got another 4 inches of snow last night.  I hope that mid way through Feb I'll be able to "hit the road."
2010-02-03 9:32 AM

User image

NH
Looks like a good plan Bill.  I can't believe the snow you guys are getting down there! 

I'd suggest making sure you keep the long run not too high a percentage of the total miles.  I think the plan you've laid out is perfect, I just know we may want to prove to ourselves we can do the 13.1 before our bodies are really ready to go that far.  In the next few weeks as your long run gets up there, resist the urge to go more than your plan calls for.

I can't wait to see how all our halfs turn out.  And I'll be honest - right now I can't imagine doing a half marathon AFTER a 56 mile bike, or a 56 mile bike AFTER a 1.2 mile swim, forget about all three together!  I know the training will get us there, but when you step back and look at it objectively it's quite a task.

All of you who have done or are doing 70.3 or IM, great accomplishment to finish.
2010-02-03 9:37 AM

User image

Elite

Tons of great stuff overnight and this morning. I will post a bunch of replys this evening.

2010-02-03 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2648009

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-02-01 12:00 AM I have a general question for everyone.  A few hours after a swimming workout, all I want to do is nap.  After run/bike workouts I really get energized.  I don't know if it's the heat in the pool, the chlorine, or what.

Does anyone else have this happen or is this yet another area where I am strange?

We do masters swim at night,  8:30pm and it actually WAKES us up and it is actually hard to get to sleep.   I haven't swam in the mornings so I don't know if it will make me tired.
2010-02-03 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2651682

User image

Expert
WA

Even though I'm a bit sock, I may try to do something light today depending how I feel a little later.  Do you guys work out if you have just a head thing?  If it's only in the head, i'll give it a shot and sometimes it feels fine.  If it's the all over tired/beat kind of cold, I'm in bed.

As far as stopping workouts, I will back off the run if my lower legs ache, and I'll keep the intensity down if my hip flexor acts up. I'm super sensitive to every tweak right now and if I need to back off I'm not worrying about it.  There's a long way to go until my 70.3, so no need to stress a missed day or two or even three seven months out.  Stretching, foam rolling, yoga stretches, self massages.

And I've been called a lot worse than Wayne, but my first name is Warren!  Smile

I have read that it is OK to work out if the cold is above the neck but if it gets below the neck (chest) then you probably want to hold back.  I usually do an easier workout if it is above the neck.

Warren, Sorry I was calling you Wayne also...hmmm...wonder where I got that from.
2010-02-03 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2652738

User image

NH
RunRene - 2010-02-03 2:13 PM
I have read that it is OK to work out if the cold is above the neck but if it gets below the neck (chest) then you probably want to hold back.  I usually do an easier workout if it is above the neck.

Warren, Sorry I was calling you Wayne also...hmmm...wonder where I got that from.

No problem, like I said I've been called worse! 

I just completed my 10k run today with the head cold.  The prescription is to run out 5k slow and then pick it up for the final 5k.  I actually felt ok but the pace was slower for the same HR as last week.  Hopefully this thing is short lived.

2010-02-03 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I think the rule of thumb is if the cold is above the head, then workouts are OK, if it's in the chest, then it's best to rest.  And if you have a fever, then definitely don't work out.  Everyone's different.  Me personally, I was expelled from the "School of Hard Knocks" and now attend the "U. R. Wimpy Academy", so I tend to bag it if I'm sick.

I did a 55 min spin class at lunchtime and it was pretty intense.  I am whooped after two hard workouts today.  I think I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and just do a nice easy 30-45 minutes on the trainer in the morning.  I'm getting a blister on both feet, so I'll hold off on my next run until Friday or Saturday.
2010-02-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2652998

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-02-03 3:36 PM I think the rule of thumb is if the cold is above the head, then workouts are OK, if it's in the chest, then it's best to rest.  And if you have a fever, then definitely don't work out.  Everyone's different.  Me personally, I was expelled from the "School of Hard Knocks" and now attend the "U. R. Wimpy Academy", so I tend to bag it if I'm sick.

I did a 55 min spin class at lunchtime and it was pretty intense.  I am whooped after two hard workouts today.  I think I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and just do a nice easy 30-45 minutes on the trainer in the morning.  I'm getting a blister on both feet, so I'll hold off on my next run until Friday or Saturday.

Oops, did the run with a slight fever.  It's no worst now though, so I think I'm ok. 

** Too much info alert, stop reading if you don't want to be grossed out **
We tend to pass sickness around in my house, so I have a hard time stopping when I'm a little sick.  Our youngest is 7 and special needs (Downs syndrome), so if he gets anything we all get it since he loves to kiss and lick everything in sight!  Sorry if that's TMI!

2010-02-03 10:43 PM

User image

New user

Aaron,  I don't know if the invite is still open.  I have been busy the past couple of weeks (work) & haven't been on BT much, but if so, here goes...
NAME: darren (46) 5'8"
FAMILY STATUS: married 21 yrs, one adopted girl (9) and in process of adopting another
MY STORY: My wife has been running the past 5 yrs or so and last year finally prodded me into some consistent exercise.   Just got to push back on the ole I-ain't-young-anymore body.  It has a debilitating mindset.  Have been thru the P90X thing a few times.
CURRENT TRAINING: This is my 2nd year, last year started on the 20 wk to 1/2 tri but was too taxing on time.  This year I am going for the 16 wk to oly build a better base and hopefully in a few seasons go for the 1/2.  
2009 RACES: Red River Xterra (Sprint-Oly), Tulsa Tri
2010  RACES: Red River Xterra, Tulsa Tri, some runs and maybe the Redman Oly
WEIGHTLOSS: I have consistently weighed in at around 180 the last few years, need to lose 10-15 more, but that middle section that showed up around 35 and doesn't want to leave, stubborn fat. I also have slight PF in my left foot that I have to massage with a golf ball every morning before I get going, yes it is a pain, literally, but better than it used to be.
WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR: Insightful experience from those who can steer me in the right direction without wasting a lot time in needless wandering. 

Thanks if the invite is still open,
darren

2010-02-03 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2653852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Darren,

welcome to the group! glad to have you here!
2010-02-04 6:25 AM
in reply to: #2652047

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-03 10:32 AM Looks like a good plan Bill.  I can't believe the snow you guys are getting down there! 

I'd suggest making sure you keep the long run not too high a percentage of the total miles.  I think the plan you've laid out is perfect, I just know we may want to prove to ourselves we can do the 13.1 before our bodies are really ready to go that far.  In the next few weeks as your long run gets up there, resist the urge to go more than your plan calls for.

I can't wait to see how all our halfs turn out.  And I'll be honest - right now I can't imagine doing a half marathon AFTER a 56 mile bike, or a 56 mile bike AFTER a 1.2 mile swim, forget about all three together!  I know the training will get us there, but when you step back and look at it objectively it's quite a task.

All of you who have done or are doing 70.3 or IM, great accomplishment to finish.

Long run according to Jack Daniels, not the Whiskey is at most 25-30%. Stick to the plan and you will do win.

2010-02-04 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2651682

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-03 8:15 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-03 7:59 AM

Sorry to hear that someone else is sick, Jen!  I hear you on the stress fracture.  Two of my sisters signed up for the breast cancer walk last year (20 miles per day for three days), and after all the training, my younger sister got a stress fracture the week before the walk.  She still did some of it (we're all stubborn Italians!), but it was really tough on her.

I have always been told or heard keep going if it is just in your head. Back off if it is in your chest. Rest if it is a fever.

2010-02-04 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2652738

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-02-03 2:13 PM

Day off wont kill you. However long term consistency is key to performance. I wish I could do self massages.

2010-02-04 6:40 AM

User image

Elite

fire eagle - 2010-02-03 11:43 PM

Aaron,  I don't know if the invite is still open.  I have been busy the past couple of weeks (work) & haven't been on BT much, but if so, here goes...
NAME: darren (46) 5'8"
FAMILY STATUS: married 21 yrs, one adopted girl (9) and in process of adopting another
MY STORY: My wife has been running the past 5 yrs or so and last year finally prodded me into some consistent exercise.   Just got to push back on the ole I-ain't-young-anymore body.  It has a debilitating mindset.  Have been thru the P90X thing a few times.
CURRENT TRAINING: This is my 2nd year, last year started on the 20 wk to 1/2 tri but was too taxing on time.  This year I am going for the 16 wk to oly build a better base and hopefully in a few seasons go for the 1/2.  
2009 RACES: Red River Xterra (Sprint-Oly), Tulsa Tri
2010  RACES: Red River Xterra, Tulsa Tri, some runs and maybe the Redman Oly
WEIGHTLOSS: I have consistently weighed in at around 180 the last few years, need to lose 10-15 more, but that middle section that showed up around 35 and doesn't want to leave, stubborn fat. I also have slight PF in my left foot that I have to massage with a golf ball every morning before I get going, yes it is a pain, literally, but better than it used to be.
WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR: Insightful experience from those who can steer me in the right direction without wasting a lot time in needless wandering. 

Thanks if the invite is still open,
darren

Welcome to the group. Happy to have you. Shutting the group down again.

2010-02-04 7:03 AM

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
Welcome Darren.

On the long run Aaron, I've heard the 25-30% rule as well.  But that's tough if you're only running 4 times a week, and impossible if you cut down to 3 during three sport training.

What should you shoot?  I'm trying to add another run day to get to 5, and even at 5 days, 30% is tough.  My plan leading up to the half is 10, 6,5,5,4 and that still has the long run at 33%.  If I don't get the 5th day but stick with around 28 miles, the long run is 35%.

2010-02-04 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Welcome to the group Darren.  What part of Oklahoma are you from?  I've done the Tulsa Tri a few times.  It was my first one back in 1986,  back then it was at Keystone Lake.   I'd like to do the Tulsa Tri this year, but it's the weekend following Kansas 70.3.   I also plan on doing Redman this year. 
2010-02-04 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2654037

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

wbayek - 2010-02-04 8:03 AM Welcome Darren.

On the long run Aaron, I've heard the 25-30% rule as well.  But that's tough if you're only running 4 times a week, and impossible if you cut down to 3 during three sport training.

What should you shoot?  I'm trying to add another run day to get to 5, and even at 5 days, 30% is tough.  My plan leading up to the half is 10, 6,5,5,4 and that still has the long run at 33%.  If I don't get the 5th day but stick with around 28 miles, the long run is 35%.

I would try to add more runs. Short runs, 20-30min, try to sneak them in.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76