BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-23 6:39 PM
in reply to: #2810842

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
kerryd - 2010-04-22 3:35 PM May we talk about clothes a little?

What do you ladies wear?  I am looking at tri suits and a little overwhelmed, especially being a 'big girl'

I know I am a bit late to this discussion, but I'll throw in my 2c...

Since we're talkin' about big butts here...I was just bragging to some friends last night that I've got about an hour and a half butt for the bike...I don't really need padding before then.  So if you have some short running tights and a tight top, you can use that for a sprint, probably an OLY.  I just invested in a pair of tri shorts, but I probably could have gotten away without them for this year.

I like the idea of two pieces for bathroom ease (I'm a "right before the race" pee-er) but I am seeing the wisdom of no waistbands for swimming and for tummy comfort on the bike (that waistband elastic hurts me before my high endurance booty gives me a hassle)...so if I decide to "go long" at some point I'll probably go over to a one piece, but until then I'll just cobble stuff together...tri shorts with running top, or maybe even with jog bra, depending on the wetsuit situation...

Sorry for the ramble, hope you can extract some information!

2010-04-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Well, my planned bike after work turned into a run. 

I went to get my bike out of the garage and my rear tire was flat.  I still haven't figured out what is wrong because I just rode on Wednesday and everything was fine.  I pumped it up and it wasn't loosing air.  I decided to ride around the block to make sure everything was okay.  Well, the air stayed in but it felt like the tire itself wasn't round, if that makes sense.  I could feel a dip with every rotation.  I went back home, and looking at the tire it looks like one part of the tire is too far down in the rim?  I don't know if I am making any sense.  I spent about 45 minutes letting the air out and re-pumping it.  I took off the tire a couple times.  The tube is fine, but I definitely can't ride my bike.  Good thing I decided to take it to the LBS tomorrow anyway for a tune up because of your advice.  Any ideas about this?  It is always something weird for me!!

I was so annoyed and frustrated, that I just wanted to come in the house and eat a big handful of chips.  (Yes, I definitely eat depending on my emotions, or when I am bored, or when my husband isn't home, etc.)  But, instead, I went out for a run and was a whole 11 seconds faster per mile than yesterday.  Not a lot, but it still made me happy.  And I didn't have the chips. Wink

My first race will be a sprint tri on June 12.  It will be my third year doing it.  Wow, just saying that sounds so weird to me.  I never thought something like that would be a part of my vocabulary!!  It is the first race I did 2 years ago, so I am looking forward to going back to do it again.  Oh, I will probably do a 5k on Memorial Day too.

Have a great weekend everybody.   Good luck at your 5k Emily.

Karen
2010-04-24 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Another n00b question about transitions.

So say I decide to swim in tri shorts and a sports bra. If I want to wring out said bra before I throw my shirt back on are there areas to do that? I'm not shy, but I don't want to cause an earthquake with my immodesty. Tongue out
2010-04-24 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
From my vast experience of about 5 races, I'll say there is no place to change or remove clothing.  Of course these were all smaller (sprint and oly) local races.  I do wear a bra under my trisuit.   Before my first race, I swam in a couple of different bras to see which felt best wet and which dried fastest.  I even went for a quick run after the swim.  I found one that dried pretty quickly and was still comfortable when wet.  It didn't rub or chafe.   I figured I would sweat more anyway, so a wet bra didn't really bother me.  You get used to the feeling!!

Also, there were many announcements about no nudity in transition!!  Besides, you don't want all the guys falling off their bikes trying to get a look at you!  Cool

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2010-04-24 1:58 PM
2010-04-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2813128

User image

Master
Vista, CA

ranchrunner - 2010-04-23 4:12 PM Hi Yanti, Lynn and Manatees!

I missed out on mentor sign ups this year....crazy busy on the ranch right now.   Wanted to say a BIG Hello!!!    I was a Manatee last year during my first tri season and these ladies are INCREDIBLE! 

Can I stop by now and then to say HI?

Sharie

p.s  Yanti you look FAB on your avatar!!!   Hope life has settled down some...keeping you in my prayers!

Shari!!! So good to hear from you. How is everything? Please stop by and have a cuppa anytime.

Lynn

2010-04-24 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2813762

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Scottie07 - 2010-04-24 8:39 AM Another n00b question about transitions.

So say I decide to swim in tri shorts and a sports bra. If I want to wring out said bra before I throw my shirt back on are there areas to do that? I'm not shy, but I don't want to cause an earthquake with my immodesty. Tongue out

AGree with no place to change really. THe only time I've ever seen a changing tent is at an Ironman event. I'd recommend finding a quick drying bra. Zoot makes some really good ones that hold everything together and dries very quickly.

As far as where to put keys. I usually keep my wallet locked in the back of the car, but put my keys down in my tri bag. So far I've never had a problem losing them or otherwise. Seems like everyone's in the same boat in the tri, so we all just leave our stuff. Sometimes, I may have given stuff to my husband and/or son. Mostly, I'm there so early and if I don't see them I just leave them in my tri bag by transition. I usually try to get an end spot near the curb, if there is one, and that gives me a little more room to store stuff. Hope that helps.

Emily....How was your 5K??

2010-04-24 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Emily, can't wait to hear about your race!  You're not really going to be able to wring out the sports bra -- invest in one that is all tech fiber and will dry quick. That was the last piece of the puzzle for me, too, and I found a decent one at the Reebok outlet store.  Do a practice swim with it before your tri.

Of course, I've never done a race before, so that's about what my advice is worth....

Another brick today.  Spin class for 50 minutes, 4 minute transition to a 2 mile run.  The run felt so friggin hard -- I hope I can actually get through the race in two weeks!
2010-04-24 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
What do you mean no nudity?! That takes all the fun out of it! I think I have a bra that will dry pretty well and I sweat a lot as it is, so it's probably akin to swimming. I'll probably stick my keys in my bag since I think I won't have a cheering section (ie my dad) this time around.

No dice on the 5k. The thunderstorms made it too risky. It's all good, though. My rehearsal was rough on my back, so it probably saved me from making myself really sore. More rain tomorrow so it'll probably be a swim and the treadmill.
2010-04-24 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2814102

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Made a big decision
I let my foam roller know that I am ready to take our relationship to the next level...my IT bands are furious, but I think once they get to know the roller, they will support us...I hope so because my IT bands and I have gone through a rough patch and we need some healing...maybe I should have my calves try to talk some sense into the ITBs...they have really come around lately.

Wish me luck. 
2010-04-25 9:53 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Hello Manatees! Thought I'd wave a flipper and bark/grunt/moofle (what sound DOES a Manatee make?) a bit.

I am in fact training--just terrible at logging and blogging. Let this be a cautionary tale!

Karen--ugh, do I know about frustrating bike rides. Did you take it in? How'd it work out? SUPER CONGRATS on passing the chips and knocking out a great run instead.

Emily--you could bring a chamois (those towels that divers use, or cheap is the waffle ones people wipe cars with) and press it up against your sports bra--it'll take a lot of the water out. (Not sure if you have big boobs--I suppose I should check back to all the bra size reporting, ha ha--but just swimming in a sports bra can make it act like a scoop for the water and drag you back. A good sports bra will not do this, but in any case, if that's what you're going to swim in--or whatever you're going to swim in--this goes for all of us!--practice in it first). Oh and 5K????

Dineen--I am very excited as your race is coming up great job doing the bricks and getting the training in. You have already come SO FAR.

Quincy--has anyone ever called you Quince Jelly? Oh, they have? Sorry. I do love it, though. It's one of my favorite jellies. Have you also tried any stretching for IT? That really really helped me when I had problems. Foam rollie is great too.
2010-04-25 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Yanti-I'm fairly flat. I'm hoping to stop by the bike shop today and see if they have anything useful. I'm not too concerned because I'm already a slow swimmer and this is really just to get me used to racing.

2010-04-25 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2814888

User image

Melon Presser
Scottie07 - 2010-04-26 12:36 AM Yanti-I'm fairly flat. I'm hoping to stop by the bike shop today and see if they have anything useful. I'm not too concerned because I'm already a slow swimmer and this is really just to get me used to racing.

I want your aeroboobs.

Actually, if you're fairly flat and have a Target near you, C9 makes a great tight running top with built-in bra that you could use as a tri top, and wear for all three legs.

If you're going to swim in a sports bra (as I said, practice, and then practice putting a shirt on wet) make sure the dry-tech fabric shirt you put on for the bike and run is somewhat loose. It's IMPOSSIBLE to put on a snug shirt when wet. Especially when you're kinda gassed from the swim and trying to move smoothly through transition.

2010-04-25 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
I dropped my bike off at the LBS yesterday.  It is a new shop because my old one closed.  The guy seemed really nice and came highly recommended by a friend who is a bike racer.  He's going to do a tune up and check the tire.  And, he said it would be ready Tuesday so I was glad that it would be quick!! 

It was supposed to storm here today, but it is currently 72° and beautiful!  I am going out to do some yard work, then for a run before dinner.  Enjoy the day!

Karen

Aeroboobs - love that!!!!!  Laughing

Edited by gadgetlaw 2010-04-25 12:50 PM
2010-04-26 8:15 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Haha, aeroboobs! Believe me, I'd love to take a little off my hips and pad the top. I'm a very awkwardly shaped pear. *sadface*

I took yesterday completely off so I'm recharged and ready to go today. On tap for today (in a perfect world):
*45 min pilates class during lunch
*6 mile bike
*2 mile run (first brick ever! eep!)
*400 y swim

My back is a little sore from rehearsal on Saturday and our kettlebell workout this morning. I've got the heating pad going right now so hopefully I'll start to feel better.
2010-04-26 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2816328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I am trying to get back into the groove of things.  I had a very hectic week at work last week and alwmost every night was filled with something after work. And on Friday we drove to my inlaws in OH and were there all weekend. Luckily I got in a run yesterday (woke up early before activities were planned).  It was nice and muggy and lots of hills...fun times and punishment for slacking off last week I guess haha.  Of course I have something planned after work Mon-Wed this week. I guess I'll have to hit the gym late or get up earlier....grrrrr.  I hope everyone had a good weekend!
2010-04-26 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
Hello Manatees!

This weekend was a bust for me.  Lots of running around with the kidlings and very little (read, none) training.  I was hoping to get in a ride last night, but my husband got home from work late.  So I am thinking that I will take a 30 minute ride in the rain this afternoon.  I used to love riding in the rain, but the descents are scary to me now.

My husband used to work in a tri shop but his leave was acrimonious at best, so I have been without a trustworthy local shop, except the big chain stores.  Well, I found out that there is a new store about 20 minutes away... HURRAY!  I don't know why, but the knowledge that I can go in and talk to someone is just so much more comforting.

That's all for now

Kerry

2010-04-26 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I took Friday as a rest day because I hadn't been feeling well the night before.  Saturday was kind of busy, cold and rainy which combined with my meager 6 hours of sleep the night before was enough to keep me from trying to head out.  I finally managed to convince myself to do my long run yesterday even though it was gloomy and drizzly.

Today my right knee is still a bit sore and I have to decide whether I want to swim or bike.  Swim sounds safer but today is a much better day to bike than tomorrow will be.  Grrr, why can't the weather be consistently sunny and 70?
2010-04-26 12:45 PM

User image

Master

Hi there Manatees!  I've been keeping up with my reading, just haven't had time to post. 

Had a rough weather weekend here, so not much training happened.  My 60 mile ride was rained out Saturday, and only managed 22ish miles yesterday.  Swim and run today with rides on Tue and Wed should catch me back up. 

Have to work this next weekend again, so that'll throw another monkey wrench in my training. 

AeroBoob!  Love it!!!

2010-04-26 4:54 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Ugh, my back really hurts. I've got an email out to my trainer for advice, but I may have to take it easy tonight. I'm sure I could get the swim in fairly easily, not sure about the bike or run. Curse having a long and flexible spine!
2010-04-26 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I actually have the C9 top from Tar-jay...it is tight and most def can be used as a swim top...
gives you...

wait for it...

AERO-BOOBS!

Sorry Ryan...you put the MAN in Manatee by putting up with all this naughty-lady-banter !
2010-04-26 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Quince-Jelly...hahahahahaha...no, nobody ever came up with that one, but I've had many short-lived nicknames...nothing ever sticks.  I guess it's hard to come up with something any stranger or sillier than Quincy

2010-04-26 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2814000

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
gadgetlaw - 2010-04-24 1:55 PM  

Also, there were many announcements about no nudity in transition!!  Besides, you don't want all the guys falling off their bikes trying to get a look at you!  Cool

Karen

Sounds like a strategy for moving up in the overall placing! 
2010-04-27 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I'll probably hit up Target this afternoon and get one. I have no idea when I'm going to have time to get the shorts. Curse having a job that takes time away from these things.

My back is feeling much better. I guess it was just a nasty case of soreness and I worked it out this morning. I'm not complaining since it feels better.
2010-04-27 8:19 AM

User image

Regular
Emily, I am glad your back is feeling better, there is nothing worse than back pain.  Except, maybe, tooth pain.

I am going to try to make it to the new tri shop today.  Their business hours are a bit odd, so I can't go after work, have to go during.  Boo.

Was able to get a good run and swim in this morning, but I realize I am going to have to start getting up much earlier as my workouts need to be longer.  And, I realized that the discipline I am having the hardest time with is the bike!  I don't know why, maybe I just need more saddle time.

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!
2010-04-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2819048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Was able to get a good run and swim in this morning, but I realize I am going to have to start getting up much earlier as my workouts need to be longer.  And, I realized that the discipline I am having the hardest time with is the bike!  I don't know why, maybe I just need more saddle time.

Same here -- I also REALLY need to get up earlier.  In a perfect world, I would go to the 5:30 spin class on M-W-F, sneak out 15 minutes early and hit the pool for 45 minutes, too.  I can never manage to get myself up quite that early.  And then on T-R, I have boot camp at 6:30.  I told myself when I signed up that I would get to the Y by 6 and run for a half hour first, but that's only happened maybe once.  I am my own biggest enemy!  I feel like I don't get enough of anything in, really.  Just gotta keep on keeping on, though.

Emily, no matter what the wardrobe, have FUN this weekend.  Can't wait to hear all about it!  Sending you good back vibes.

AEROBOOBS.  Love that!  The first two bras that I ever liked/worked for me were purchased at Wal Mart.  Of course, when I went back, I couldn't find them again.  They were made by Fruit of the Loom. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60