BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-05-13 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Hi everyone:  It took me this long to warm up from last SUnday's epic race - Hahahaha
RR is up:  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=207692

Warning: may cause shivering in some readers.  

Congrats Alana!  I had forgotten about the challenge but I guess you didn't! 

2010-05-13 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
What day did the challenge start?
2010-05-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2855857

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Seren - 2010-05-13 9:55 AM What day did the challenge start?

Last Monday.  The 3rd.
2010-05-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2855144

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

rbriggz - 2010-05-12 7:53 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on lighting systems for the road bike?
I've been doing some research and it seems like there are a bahzillion different lighting systems ranging from $20 to $1000 (and more). Just looking for something to either start early (not that likely) or ride an hour or so past dark. Something rechargable, light (no pun intended) and easy to mount/dismount. I'm willing to spend $100, but i don't want to if it's not necessary.

A lot of the lighting things i've read have been targeting at night riding MTB's, which i would love to do. 
Right now the issue would be the lights would be worth more than my MTB

I have ridden with a bunch of lights over the years. Nothing very new as of late. What I do recommend is going to be all led lights. Lots of light, very little battery usage. I like the flashing lights on the bike to be seen. Front and back are helpful. If you are very serious, a couple of the dots for the sides.

As for seeing the road, I would consider a helmet mounted one like the people use in caves. Reason I suggest this is your bike is not always aimed where you are about to go. Nothing like taking a corner and not seeing the pot hole just out of the range of  a bike mounted light. Also if you get a head mounted light, it can be used on night runs as well. That way you can justify spending more money on a better light that can be worn on the bike and on the run.

Only other tip I have on this one is you get what you pay for. Cheep lights do not tend to give much light and you might not use it as much then.

2010-05-13 6:03 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Good evening team.  I put IM goals on the challenge spreadsheet.  Just kinda rolling along here in RI.  Still awfullly cold for May but at least the sun was out today.  I am looking at a weekend of call this weekend so I might not get much training in.  I have to bring the stoopid phone and other stuff with me so it takes the fun out of riding and running.  I refuse to take along my computer though!
2010-05-14 5:33 AM
in reply to: #2857226

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Just found this link on head lamps. Thought it might be relevant.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=198866&posts=20&start=1

Ontherun - 2010-05-13 4:04 PM

rbriggz - 2010-05-12 7:53 PM Does anyone have any recommendations on lighting systems for the road bike?
I've been doing some research and it seems like there are a bahzillion different lighting systems ranging from $20 to $1000 (and more). Just looking for something to either start early (not that likely) or ride an hour or so past dark. Something rechargable, light (no pun intended) and easy to mount/dismount. I'm willing to spend $100, but i don't want to if it's not necessary.

A lot of the lighting things i've read have been targeting at night riding MTB's, which i would love to do. 
Right now the issue would be the lights would be worth more than my MTB

I have ridden with a bunch of lights over the years. Nothing very new as of late. What I do recommend is going to be all led lights. Lots of light, very little battery usage. I like the flashing lights on the bike to be seen. Front and back are helpful. If you are very serious, a couple of the dots for the sides.

As for seeing the road, I would consider a helmet mounted one like the people use in caves. Reason I suggest this is your bike is not always aimed where you are about to go. Nothing like taking a corner and not seeing the pot hole just out of the range of  a bike mounted light. Also if you get a head mounted light, it can be used on night runs as well. That way you can justify spending more money on a better light that can be worn on the bike and on the run.

Only other tip I have on this one is you get what you pay for. Cheep lights do not tend to give much light and you might not use it as much then.

2010-05-14 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Hi All-
  Sorry I've been gone for a little bit, my boyfriend got kind of mad (understatement) because I was on my computer or training once my daughter was asleep. At any rate, I ran my first duathlon and did terrible. My times were slow for me and what was worse was that I didn't feel that slow. I was really concerned with getting my stuff after the race because I had to go coach a lacrosse game a few hours away and the race director was being a dink (he was refusing to let me get my things even though I had been emailing them a few times -with no response- about my situation). So, I think that may have affected me, just wasn't focused. Who knows. It was also wet and cold and partly on trails.
 I'm trying to increase my speed training to 2x a week and see if that helps. I have my 25K race memorial day weekend and so right now I am still just working on building up my distance (I am only at 11miles for my long run). I am still trying to figure out what races to do, coaching lacrosse, working full time, and coaching soccer has put a bit of a damper on my training. Hope everyone is having better success than me at the moment.
2010-05-14 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2858509

User image

Extreme Veteran
zachkoe - 2010-05-14 8:50 AM Hi All-
  Sorry I've been gone for a little bit, my boyfriend got kind of mad (understatement) because I was on my computer or training once my daughter was asleep. At any rate, I ran my first duathlon and did terrible. My times were slow for me and what was worse was that I didn't feel that slow. I was really concerned with getting my stuff after the race because I had to go coach a lacrosse game a few hours away and the race director was being a dink (he was refusing to let me get my things even though I had been emailing them a few times -with no response- about my situation). So, I think that may have affected me, just wasn't focused. Who knows. It was also wet and cold and partly on trails.
 I'm trying to increase my speed training to 2x a week and see if that helps. I have my 25K race memorial day weekend and so right now I am still just working on building up my distance (I am only at 11miles for my long run). I am still trying to figure out what races to do, coaching lacrosse, working full time, and coaching soccer has put a bit of a damper on my training. Hope everyone is having better success than me at the moment.

Plus a boyfriend and daughter??  I'd say you're doing great!! 
2010-05-14 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica

Hello group. I wanted to check in with everybody and hope all's training is going well. I have been off for about a week from training with a work related injury. 3 Doc's 3 opinons AKA broken rib/stain intercostal/torn abdominal. Bottom line less training time more couch pototo. I did make a run this week and felt pretty good but I tried painting some kitchen trim and it put me down for the rest of the day. Go figure? I will try and use this time to inspire others since I'm doing less. I'll hopefully will have better news from Doc's next week on a second x-ray and can get back to training.

2010-05-14 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2860154

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

scogz1 - 2010-05-14 9:28 PM

Hello group. I wanted to check in with everybody and hope all's training is going well. I have been off for about a week from training with a work related injury. 3 Doc's 3 opinons AKA broken rib/stain intercostal/torn abdominal. Bottom line less training time more couch pototo. I did make a run this week and felt pretty good but I tried painting some kitchen trim and it put me down for the rest of the day. Go figure? I will try and use this time to inspire others since I'm doing less. I'll hopefully will have better news from Doc's next week on a second x-ray and can get back to training.

I'm sure watching the Bruins game made you feel better.  

So does that make everyone injured at some point since Jan?

2010-05-15 12:23 AM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

well at least the bruins can no longer be blamed for my lack of training

2010-05-15 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi All,

Very impressive alana, well done ,what a week !!

NUTRITIONAL HELP PLEASE !

I have a 4pm race tomorrow and I am not sure what my eating routine should be tomorrow ?

Any tips would be most appreciated, i ma ok with morning races as its pretty easy to eat something then go race but being up and about all morning then racing in the afternoon is new to me.

Although my month is looking pretty pathetic in the training front so far due to injury i plan to knock out the IM distances this month, just you wait !

Thanks Guys

T
2010-05-15 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
How do I import the data from my RR into my training log so the distance counts for today?  Or do I just log it as a run workout?
2010-05-15 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2860670

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-05-15 2:15 PM How do I import the data from my RR into my training log so the distance counts for today?  Or do I just log it as a run workout?

Just enter it separately.  Nice job on achieving both your goals.

2010-05-16 6:30 PM

New user

Syracuse
Great Job Alana!! You should be so proud of yourself. Hopefully Mother Nature starts to cooperate a little more during everyones races. I have started training a little bit now. More Doctors appts but I can at least do some things. Swimming seems to be the easiest for me. I truly despise running so I am having a mental/physical block even before I had my breathing issues. So, any suggestions anyone? At this point I haven't ran more than a mile since April. I have walked/run etc but no more than 1 mile continuously. Are there any duathlons with just swimming and biking? Now that would make me happy!!!
Everyone seems to be training really hard. Congrats to you all!!! I hope to slowly work my way up there with my time constraints and actually do this Tri in August.
Have a good night.
Shioban
2010-05-16 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2860435

User image

Regular
Billerica
Tiesim - 2010-05-15 7:15 AM Hi All,

I have a 4pm race tomorrow and I am not sure what my eating routine should be tomorrow ?

Any tips would be most appreciated, i ma ok with morning races as its pretty easy to eat something then go race but being up and about all morning then racing in the afternoon is new to me.

Although my month is looking pretty pathetic in the training front so far due to injury i plan to knock out the IM distances this month, just you wait !

Thanks Guys

T

After checking out your blog,
I think you should be telling us what you ate before your race today. Awesome race times, way to go!!

2010-05-17 2:49 AM
in reply to: #2862295

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
scogz1 - 2010-05-17 3:58 AM
Tiesim - 2010-05-15 7:15 AM Hi All,

Thanks Guys

T

After checking out your blog,
I think you should be telling us what you ate before your race today. Awesome race times, way to go!!

Hi Steve, thanks very much, i am happy with the times too considering i have had 3 weeks off the bike and running, really excited about next weekend now !

I ate 3 rashers of bacon, 2 poached eggs on toast 5 hrs before the race, 2 bananas and  a choc chip muffin with coffee between 4 hrs and 1 hr before race time,

not sure the breakfast was quite right but it was yummy ! lol !!

My race report is here if anyone is interested in a read

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=208203

T
2010-05-17 5:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Sorry, been missing-will try to catch up soon--just got back from working as a vol at a cancer camp for kids
2010-05-17 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I have a lot of catching up to do-both with my post and training logs.  But one positive thing-have stayed with my work outs, esp. running.  Just haven't been around a computer at all lately.  I do have a 5K race coming up on Tuesday night 5/18  I see everyone else is doing very well, keep up the good work.  One small slow down for myself--caught a nice cold from the kids at camp last weekend, but will manage anyway.  Quiting is never an option-learned some good lifes lessons at the camp. These kids are suffering various forms of cancers etc and they never give up!! Have been vol for almost 6 years there.  If in any of my work outs or races I start feeling like I can't continue-just need to think back to others who are going through more pain than I will ever experince-DNF will never happen, they will have to scrape me off the pavement first--opps, I feel the ole soap box coming out again.
2010-05-17 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Great Race this past weekend Alana !
Hope everyone else enjoyed their weekend. Mine was packed and went by much tooo fast !!

Sat - Tennis, Cut Lawn, Pearl Jam Concert (Awesome!!)
Sun - 2 hr Bike ride then College Graduation Party (and after party)

And now it's Monday !

2010-05-17 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Kind of quiet around here lately, well except for you know who, now that he is back from saving the world  Seriously, you are a very good person to do what you do.  Good karma is coming your way.   Is everyone so tired from working out and completing the IM Challenge?  Well, I actually went in the pool today.  I figured out that it's not the time or work outs I missed that gets me frustrated when I am sick or injured, it's the loss of fitness.  I feel like it takes me half as long to get back to where I was when I stopped.  

I hope everyone has a good week. 

2010-05-17 7:25 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

sorry I have been so quiet. Crewed the Boston Avon walk last weekend, and will be walking in Chicago in 3 weeks. Going to attempt a few workouts before racing this weekend

2010-05-18 5:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Had a wonderful ride yesterday 20 miles, bright and sunny out--finally.  Have developed a slight pain in my legs, right on the shins.  I hope that I am not getting splints---it started after running a 5K the other day, with a very long down hill section.  Suppose to run another 5k tonight but am thinking of backing off a little.  Suggestions on curing the pain quickly?
2010-05-18 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2864973

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Dragonflyer - 2010-05-18 11:44 AM Had a wonderful ride yesterday 20 miles, bright and sunny out--finally.  Have developed a slight pain in my legs, right on the shins.  I hope that I am not getting splints---it started after running a 5K the other day, with a very long down hill section.  Suppose to run another 5k tonight but am thinking of backing off a little.  Suggestions on curing the pain quickly?

I recommend taking a break from running, let the pain subside, if you can get to a pool, focus on swimming for a few days or a week or so to give the legs a break frm impact, then i go for a test run, no more than 3k to start with to see how they feel, hope this helps.

T
2010-05-18 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hi Everyone!   I have finally thawed out from my mother's day race.   Spent last week in a blah funk.  It finally lifted yesterday!    Now back to some serious training!  Hope everyone is well. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27