breakfast - oatmeal
Event warmup:

stretching, 15 minute bike, 5 minute swim
Swim
  • 00m
  • 440 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Air temps were so cold, I couldn't feel my feet anymore after standing on the cold sand for quite awhile. Race conditions deteriorated as the morning went on. My AG waded out into the water to wait to swim. After awhile we waded out deeper coz the water was warmer than the air. So we treaded water for about 15 minutes. The swim was eventually cancelled due to high chop/high winds. 10 people got in trouble out there and swamped the fire dept rescue boat. Everyone had to be rescued.
What would you do differently?:

Either wear booties or not race on such a cold day! My feet finally warmed up around mile 2 of the run!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I heard from somebody that they took T1 and the bike split and combined them. I probably took a good 10 minutes here. My fingers were so frozen they just wouldn't work. I had to do everything slow and deliberate or it wasn't gonna happen. I think getting my bike helmet on took at least 3 minutes. My fingers had no strength to squeeze the little clip.

who the hell knows. Probably should have opted for the duathlon but I didn't
Bike
  • 46m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 12.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Fingers still frozen here. Affected shifting. Had to really concentrate on squeezing the shift lever. Never felt the ease and comfort I usually do on a bike....probably coz I was a popsicle! The hills seemed harder than when I practiced the route. Normally I love hills. Today it was "Where's the friggin' top?" Things started to thaw about half way thru and I was able to pick up the pace.

Because of the cold air temps its really hard to say here. I was a frozen popsicle. OK...maybe I should have a generater in T1 with and blow heat into my "dressing area" Maybe a hot toddy or two as well!
Transition 2
  • 02m 97s
Comments:

Still kinda numb when I hit T2, so I just walked into my area and racked the bike. Fingers warming up - translate: stinging like hell! Shoe exchange went fairly well - slow but well. Then I notice that my running tights weren't tied, so I stopped to tie it. Wouldn't you know - a huge knot! And my fingers still don't work really well! But I took the time coz I didn't want my pants falling down around my ankles. Now that would be a spectacle! I took off my cycle jacket as it was actually starting feel warm out!

Check for knots prior to start of race!
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

So I left T2 warm in the upper body but on 2 frozen bricks for feet. They were not going to flex for me. Pound, pound, pound! God help me I have 3 miles of this. Wait..I am actually passing people! How is this possible? Oh well, keep going! Around mile 2 my feet warmed up but I got a side stitch and my thigh and calf cramp started to really act up. I actually had to walk for approx 1-2 minutes. As I got onto the dam, the wind slammed into me, slowing me a little. Usually when I see the finish, I sprint but I knew if I did, the cramps would just sieze up my whole leg. Since I didn't want to be carried home I held the same pace to the end!

NOT GET INJURED/CRAMP UP 3 DAYS PRIOR TO RACE!
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for a bit

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg cramps, frozen extremities!

Event comments:

There was a DJ playing in the transition area. Course I never heard them! I was concentrating so hard to move my extremties. There was a BBQ after but I left. I needed to get warm!

It was a good race - just wish Mother Nature cooperated a little more. But then I guess when does she ever?

Last updated: 2010-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 440 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/214
Performance:
Suit: Orca Equip wetsuit
Course: Course kept changing. Bouys were not anchored and kept blowing around in the high winds (30+ mph)
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:21 | 10 miles | 12.94 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: hilly start thru the park then out onto the main road
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:97
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:30:24 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
pace: 9:49 min/mile
Course: same start as bike - hilly - into a road still in the park, turn around, then out of the park on to a small street. Thru a parking lot, into a field, across the dam, across the beach to the finish!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-05-12 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: New England Season Opener

2010-05-12 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2853603

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener
Nice work in the frigid temps and horrible conditions!
2010-05-12 11:28 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Im cold after reading this RR!  Bumer on the conditions, but you are a bad-azz!
2010-05-12 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
No kidding!  I'm cold too after reading this!  And I just came from a race the had record breaking heat!

Way to stay strong during harsh conditions!  Good job!!!
2010-05-13 6:09 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Teeth chattering RR!!  Sorry you had to spend all that time in the water before they canceled the swim.  Strong work getting through the race after that!!!
2010-05-16 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Nice job adapting to the conditions. It was obviously freezing but you kept yourself together and didn't let it get to you. You never know what Mother Nature will give you on the day you need to bring your A game and you did!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed