BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Abilene
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and feedback on my post and workout.  I didn't make up the workout on my own, I am following the 12 week Beginner Sprint from BT!! I was attempting to do the volume they suggested.  I will do what I can and thanks again for the great advise about slowly building a base.  Very wise!  Thanks for all the inspires too!! Y'all are great!

2011-01-04 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3277302

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-01-04 2:04 PM
lounav - 2011-01-05 2:29 AM
Thanks for all the tips and I will follow the strong option and sign up for lessons this week.  I have looked at the master's swim program and have thought about doing it, but right now feel like the schedule would be to hard for me to work around ~ if swimming were my only weak link, I'd do it and work around it.  

good girl!

masters is good if you do know how to swim okay, can't afford lessons or none are available, and/or want to kick it up a notch.

honestly, for you, i'd probably say spend as much time in the saddle as you can. it's easy to forget that 'tri'athlon does not mean three equal parts. the bike is the whopper in almost every single triathlon; moreover, a tough bike sets you up for a tough run no matter how strong a runner you are.

That's just what I needed to hear right now!!  Into the saddle I go! 
2011-01-04 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3276418

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-01-04 9:49 AM And as promised, my first race report, complete with finisher's picture (Swamp Thing in a Cotton Bra, I call it). Also, the bike I used (although it's from a later race and is sadly missing the horn).

I for one highly enjoyed the race report and your base training article.  Thanks for the entertainment and information.  
2011-01-05 1:54 AM
in reply to: #3278077

User image

Regular
New Zealand
lounav - 2011-01-04 7:27 PM
TriAya - 2011-01-04 9:49 AM And as promised, my first race report, complete with finisher's picture (Swamp Thing in a Cotton Bra, I call it). Also, the bike I used (although it's from a later race and is sadly missing the horn).

I for one highly enjoyed the race report and your base training article.  Thanks for the entertainment and information.  

I totally second thatLaughing
2011-01-05 2:27 AM
in reply to: #3278569

User image

Melon Presser
missyNZ - 2011-01-05 2:54 PM
lounav - 2011-01-04 7:27 PM

I totally second thatLaughing

Awww thanks Manatees! I'm working on the 'informative,' apparently I've been good at the 'entertainment' all my life according to my old school reports Yell

Melyssa it is so lovely you are here again--I'd wondered about you often. You're a strong and brilliant woman and though you're very modest about it anyone who can read between the lines is amazed at what you manage to accomplish with grace every single day. I want some of that
2011-01-05 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Great race report!  I love to read baseline reports and see improvement, especially when they are entertaining.  My 1st tri was my best tri.  I am still looking for that improvement. 

I am starting with some base building until my plan starts on Feb. 13.  I am trying to make all my stupid mistakes now and I've been successful so far. 

Stupid mistake last night: nutrition.  I beyond screwed up.  Started the day, starving for some reason.  I had my oatmeal, like usual, but all day at work I had a craving for these energy stick bagels and PB.  I finally broke down and had one at 10:30am.  I ate everything in site all day, soup, 2 bananas, clementines, apple, dark chocolate and then proceeded to have a big dinner of chicken, baked potato and broccoli, right before spin class.  BIG MISTAKE!!!   I ate at 45 minutes before class started.  I have never been so uncomfortable in my life.  I had side stitches and then at the end both arches of both feet cramped.  Did I mention, I had very little water all day?  STUPID!!!! 

So could we please talk about nutrition.  Why was I starving?   Please look at my logs.  I don't think I am at a point that I am working my body hard enough to warrant wanting to eat everything in site.  I tried to do the whole eat when I was hungry thing but seriously, I was famished.  I need help.  I am going to blow up before I even get started. 

I really know nothing about nutrition with training.  When do you eat?  What do you eat?  When should you take nutrition in training?   I am going to a trainerfest (2-3 hours on a trainer with the Michigan group) on Sunday.  I have no idea what to eat when sitting on a bike for 2 hours.  For the HIM, I'll be on the bike for 4 hours, I need a plan.

What about swimming?  I am swimming tonight.  When should I eat before and what?  Do I eat anything after?  

Does anyone have any thoughts?   Thank you in advance for your help. 

2011-01-05 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3278722

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
jogo - 2011-01-05 5:50 AM

Stupid mistake last night: nutrition.  I beyond screwed up.  Started the day, starving for some reason.  I had my oatmeal, like usual, but all day at work I had a craving for these energy stick bagels and PB.  I finally broke down and had one at 10:30am.  I ate everything in site all day, soup, 2 bananas, clementines, apple, dark chocolate and then proceeded to have a big dinner of chicken, baked potato and broccoli, right before spin class.  BIG MISTAKE!!!   I ate at 45 minutes before class started.  I have never been so uncomfortable in my life.  I had side stitches and then at the end both arches of both feet cramped.  Did I mention, I had very little water all day?  STUPID!!!! 

So could we please talk about nutrition.  Why was I starving?   Please look at my logs.  I don't think I am at a point that I am working my body hard enough to warrant wanting to eat everything in site.  I tried to do the whole eat when I was hungry thing but seriously, I was famished.  I need help.  I am going to blow up before I even get started. 

I really know nothing about nutrition with training.  When do you eat?  What do you eat?  When should you take nutrition in training?   I am going to a trainerfest (2-3 hours on a trainer with the Michigan group) on Sunday.  I have no idea what to eat when sitting on a bike for 2 hours.  For the HIM, I'll be on the bike for 4 hours, I need a plan.

What about swimming?  I am swimming tonight.  When should I eat before and what?  Do I eat anything after?  

I don't know much about nutrition so I should probably shut up, but I will pass along what I've "learned".  Looking at your food list, they look like (to me) carb based or basically sugars.  These types of foods are - although healthy - things that will cause spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels and are not the type that will satisfy for long periods.  Try adding more protein and fats to your diet.  They digest slower and don’t cause the blood sugar issues that carbs do.  Also make sure you are eating enough at breakfast – is it one oatmeal package?  Probably not enough calories early in the AM which will leave you craving all day long.

Plan on eating more frequently – 5 times a day with smaller meals that contain satisfying calories (fat and protein).  Healthy does not equal satisfying and vice versa, so look for good quality calories that satisfy.

You should not need to consume extra calories if workouts are below 2 -3 hours and at low intensity.  Go for 0 calorie electrolyte drinks instead of standard Gatorade, or stick to water. Drink LOTS of water.  When finished with that – drink more water.  There are recommendations for calorie consumption during exercise if working at high intensity or longer durations, but probably be best to read the books below to get the right info.  I’m not going to provide info without having the book to refer to.

Nutrition should be looked at like training – IT WILL BE HARD and you will be hungry as your body gets used to the new diet.  Fill your belly with water to help feel full.

Recommended reading:  #1 is Weight Management for Triathletes by Ironman press; #2 is Racing Weight; and #3 is Managing your Metabolism (or something like that – I don’t recall the exact title, but it deals with training your body to burn fat instead of glycogen (ie – get those base miles in before training too hard – see Yanti’s blog on base miles for some insight to this)).

That is it on recommendations, but I have a typical day outlines below – in case you want to skip it.  I trained for and completed my first oly triathlon last year.  Although I changed my shape, I did not loose weight.  I was doing the typical Gatorade, power bars, etc. and was hungry.  I then read the above books, made some changes, dropped 10 lbs with more to come, and I’ve not lost any performance – have in fact gotten faster and improved endurance.  

My calorie target is about 2000 – 2200 in with around 2500 – 3000 calories going out daily (Metabolic rate with exersize).  Rule of thumb – don’t consume less that 500 calories daily below your metabolic rate or you are likely to slow your metabolism (note:  I may consume over my burn rate on a Friday with pizza or other cheat foods to keep my body from going into starvation mode).  I’m just looking to average around 500 calories less a day over each week.

For me, I’ll have an egg with fat free cheese and 1 slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast (cholesterol is up, so now I’m looking at egg whites only).  I’ll have this around 5am.  Then around 9, I’ll have half ounce of almonds and 1 fat free cheese stick, or cottage cheese with fruit.  Worst case a protein bar if I’m planning a lunch workout or I’m starving.  Lunch (11:30) – something around 200 to 300 calories (fresh mixers, whole can of healthy choice soup (2 servings = 240 calories).   Snack in PM is usually 2-3 oz of protein (turkey pastrami or turkey ham are my favorite – I buy pre-packaged stuff at SAMS and have a meat slicer at home).  Maybe a Pure Protein bar if nothing else available.  Dinner (around 6pm) is whatever I end up with (sushi last night, left over pork loin night before, maybe chicken with rice / asparagus – whatever).  Try to keep calories to around 500.  Then maybe a sweet treat later in the night – suck on a few frozen strawberries, maybe some soy ice cream.

2011-01-05 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Off to trot with the Mouse.
2011-01-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3279418

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

mackjenn - 2011-01-05 11:31 AM
jogo - 2011-01-05 5:50 AM

I don't know much about nutrition so I should probably shut up, but I will pass along what I've "learned".  Looking at your food list, they look like (to me) carb based or basically sugars.  These types of foods are - although healthy - things that will cause spikes and crashes in blood sugar levels and are not the type that will satisfy for long periods.  Try adding more protein and fats to your diet.  They digest slower and don’t cause the blood sugar issues that carbs do.  Also make sure you are eating enough at breakfast – is it one oatmeal package?  Probably not enough calories early in the AM which will leave you craving all day long.

Plan on eating more frequently – 5 times a day with smaller meals that contain satisfying calories (fat and protein).  Healthy does not equal satisfying and vice versa, so look for good quality calories that satisfy.

You should not need to consume extra calories if workouts are below 2 -3 hours and at low intensity.  Go for 0 calorie electrolyte drinks instead of standard Gatorade, or stick to water. Drink LOTS of water.  When finished with that – drink more water.  There are recommendations for calorie consumption during exercise if working at high intensity or longer durations, but probably be best to read the books below to get the right info.  I’m not going to provide info without having the book to refer to.

Nutrition should be looked at like training – IT WILL BE HARD and you will be hungry as your body gets used to the new diet.  Fill your belly with water to help feel full.

Recommended reading:  #1 is Weight Management for Triathletes by Ironman press; #2 is Racing Weight; and #3 is Managing your Metabolism (or something like that – I don’t recall the exact title, but it deals with training your body to burn fat instead of glycogen (ie – get those base miles in before training too hard – see Yanti’s blog on base miles for some insight to this)).

That is it on recommendations, but I have a typical day outlines below – in case you want to skip it.  I trained for and completed my first oly triathlon last year.  Although I changed my shape, I did not loose weight.  I was doing the typical Gatorade, power bars, etc. and was hungry.  I then read the above books, made some changes, dropped 10 lbs with more to come, and I’ve not lost any performance – have in fact gotten faster and improved endurance.  

My calorie target is about 2000 – 2200 in with around 2500 – 3000 calories going out daily (Metabolic rate with exersize).  Rule of thumb – don’t consume less that 500 calories daily below your metabolic rate or you are likely to slow your metabolism (note:  I may consume over my burn rate on a Friday with pizza or other cheat foods to keep my body from going into starvation mode).  I’m just looking to average around 500 calories less a day over each week.

For me, I’ll have an egg with fat free cheese and 1 slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast (cholesterol is up, so now I’m looking at egg whites only).  I’ll have this around 5am.  Then around 9, I’ll have half ounce of almonds and 1 fat free cheese stick, or cottage cheese with fruit.  Worst case a protein bar if I’m planning a lunch workout or I’m starving.  Lunch (11:30) – something around 200 to 300 calories (fresh mixers, whole can of healthy choice soup (2 servings = 240 calories).   Snack in PM is usually 2-3 oz of protein (turkey pastrami or turkey ham are my favorite – I buy pre-packaged stuff at SAMS and have a meat slicer at home).  Maybe a Pure Protein bar if nothing else available.  Dinner (around 6pm) is whatever I end up with (sushi last night, left over pork loin night before, maybe chicken with rice / asparagus – whatever).  Try to keep calories to around 500.  Then maybe a sweet treat later in the night – suck on a few frozen strawberries, maybe some soy ice cream.

Thanks for your response but yesterday was not a typical eating day for me.  In fact, very unusual.  I am a healthy eater most of the time.  My question is more about the nutrition needs that will come with adding in training.  I don't think the 2-3 hour thing really is an appropriate guide. If you are adding in 1-2 hours extra for a total of 10 hours of training into your week, it will take a toll on your body.  I know because I burned out and fatigued last year during marathon training because I tried to stick to that guideline.

Yesterday was a FAIL.  I know.  I didn't go into detail about my meals because that wasn't really my question.  My "oatmeal" is 1/2 cup hot multigrain cereal ( not processed instant) with 1 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla soymilk and 4 walnut halves.  My soup at lunch was a mixed bean and barley soup.  I get plenty of protein on a normal day.  I eat every 3 hours.  I will not count calories (too obsessive) but I will count points plus through weight watchers and love the changes they just made to their program, where fruits and vegetables are free and can be used to quench hunger, hence the fruit overload yesterday.  Usually I am a 5 fruit/veggie a day girl.  Yesterday was a FAIL but it brought up many thoughts to prepare myself for another long race. 

In the past I have not timed my nutrition properly.  How does everyone time their eating and what do you eat before, during and after workouts?   I am hoping we can discuss successful fueling of this engine so that I don't fall apart during a 2 hour workout, a 4 hour run, or an 8 hour race, and so I am not miserable during a 1 hour spin class with stomach issues.  

2011-01-05 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

So far today, I have not had the same hunger/craving issues as yesterday, maybe because I binged my way into oblivion in one day. 

Today: Same oatmeal as yesterday at 6am, banana at 9am and egg white omlette with spinach, mushrooms, and a touch of feta cheese at 12:30pm with some steamed broccoli on the side.

2011-01-05 12:52 PM

User image

Melon Presser
weight management for triathletes is a good read

so is joe friel's paleo diet (not that you should follow it but it's got some really good points)

it sounds like you're eating really well *but* ... if I ate that little, I'd keel over too. I do think John's idea of adding a little more protein and good fats could help.

The hydration could have been an issue; could overexertion have been an issue as well? nobody really knows where stitches come from, but some see it as little cramps, and cramping is almost always a going-beyond-fitness issue.

For me, I'm kind of a crocodile. I can pretty much eat anything before, even during, or after workouts and I'll be fine.

1-2 hour workouts, no, I don't do anything differently. Once it's getting past 2 hours I'd better have had a regular (even if small) meal within a few hours beforehand, and if I know I'm going to be cycling or running 2+ hours, I will have some kind of carb every 45 min, hour or at the halfway point, depending. (meaning gel, honey, gel blocks, etc).

race nutrition is a little different, and gets different-er as the races get longer and what kind they are.

and after such long or if they were shorter but intense workouts, i'll do the recovery snack of mostly high GI carbs and a little protein (the oft-vaunted chocolate milk, but PB and J sandwich, yogurt smoothie, powerbar, anything with that combo works fine) right after, then a regular meal within an hour.

2011-01-05 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3278722

User image

Altrincham
jogo - 2011-01-05 12:50 PM

Great race report!  I love to read baseline reports and see improvement, especially when they are entertaining.  My 1st tri was my best tri.  I am still looking for that improvement. 

I am starting with some base building until my plan starts on Feb. 13.  I am trying to make all my stupid mistakes now and I've been successful so far. 

Jo it could just be that you've ramped up your training and your body's a bit confused about what to expect.  Give it a week, just eating healthily when you're hungry and I'm sure it'll settle in to its new routine.  Maybe your body just needs a little transition period.

Edited by Galwegian 2011-01-05 4:14 PM
2011-01-05 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
All this talk about nutrition (sorry I have no good nutrition advice to offer) along with making my grocery list at the same time has me thinking about food.  Any one have any favorite recipes or meal/snack ideas that they want to share?  I'm a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for good vegetarian ideas - but am open to anything (as I'm good at making changes and I also cook for a meat-eater). 

One of my favs is bakes sweet potato fries, especially when I'm craving something sweet, this really does the trick for me.   I follow the basics of this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Fries/Detail.aspx  for cooking directions, but I add olive oil (using a spritzer, because you only need enough to make it not stick to the baking sheet) garlic powder, salt, and paprika (just some dashes of each).  

I also occasionally eat tuna, and am a fan of this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Tuna-Steak/Detail.aspx 

2011-01-05 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3280518

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lounav - 2011-01-05 3:35 PM All this talk about nutrition (sorry I have no good nutrition advice to offer) along with making my grocery list at the same time has me thinking about food.  Any one have any favorite recipes or meal/snack ideas that they want to share?  I'm a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for good vegetarian ideas - but am open to anything (as I'm good at making changes and I also cook for a meat-eater). 

One of my favs is bakes sweet potato fries, especially when I'm craving something sweet, this really does the trick for me.   I follow the basics of this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spicy-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Fries/Detail.aspx  for cooking directions, but I add olive oil (using a spritzer, because you only need enough to make it not stick to the baking sheet) garlic powder, salt, and paprika (just some dashes of each).  

I also occasionally eat tuna, and am a fan of this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Tuna-Steak/Detail.aspx 

My girlfriend is Vegan and she was all over me about my cholesterol results.  I suspect I'll be making some changes soon and will let you know if I find any great recipes (she has one tofu one that is great).  I'll see if I can get it if interested.

John
2011-01-05 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3280887

User image

Veteran
Austin
mackjenn - 2011-01-05 7:56 PM 

My girlfriend is Vegan and she was all over me about my cholesterol results.  I suspect I'll be making some changes soon and will let you know if I find any great recipes (she has one tofu one that is great).  I'll see if I can get it if interested.

John

I'm ALWAYS interested in a good recipe.  I love trying any new recipe/s that people recommend! 
2011-01-05 11:14 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
I came across this today and felt that it has some good information to share with the group.  Here's the link:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/break-law

ARRGG, you're gonna have to cut and paste.  I'm technically challenged ATM.

Edited by iluvmybeamer 2011-01-05 11:17 PM

2011-01-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3281238

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2011-01-06 12:14 PM I came across this today and felt that it has some good information to share with the group.  Here's the link:

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/break-law

ARRGG, you're gonna have to cut and paste.  I'm technically challenged ATM.

there ya go, it should link now
2011-01-06 12:14 PM

User image

Melon Presser
and just because a bluesy little manatee is finding it hard to get his manatee mojo going ...

MOTIVATION FOR WINTER OR WHENEVER

Ah, it's difficult for all of us--especially in the long winter months! Here are tips and tricks for getting going when it's the last thing you want to do.

1. Focus on your goals and dreams. Put them in writing and post them up somewhere so if you need some inspiration, you can look at them and remember the big picture of what you're aiming for. A corollary here is to log your workouts--go look at all those milestones, those pretty colors (or that you need to reach for the bar) for a boost.

2. Focus on instant gratification. You're going to feel so much better once you get going, and especially after, when the endorphins, sense of accomplishment, and post-workout glow really hit. Most of your workouts will actually be energizing. Think of what you're getting: health, wellness, a fantastic fit body!

3. Join a support group. Whether it's your local tri or training club, group workouts, getting a training partner, signing up for a challenge group here on BT (or mentor group if you're new and one is open), the support is wonderful and as you see others building towards their goals, it's very inspiring to do the same. Knowing that others are depending on you or expecting something of you can really give you that little push you need to get out the door, on the trainer, or in the water.

4. Use a training plan. There are many free ones to choose from here, and if you find a paid-membership one that you might prefer, it is definitely more than worth the money to become a paid member. You won't find better plans or support for cheaper anywhere, and the plans are customizable. It's a lot easier to show up for a workout when it's already all spelled out for you and you know exactly what it's going to be.

5. Don't use the training plan. Don't let the fact that you won't be able to fit in the whole workout or do it exactly as planned stop you. It's a lot easier to get out there and do it if you know it's fine to do something rather than nothing and one or a couple altered days is perfectly okay.

6. Mental training helps. The practice of meditation or focused/guided visualization can be very helpful for keeping your motivation levels up. On the spot, if you're balking before a specific session, even a couple of minutes of meditation, focus, or thinking about the benefits can do marvels for motivating you to actually get up, go, and grab those gifts.

7. Read inspirational literature. It's wonderful to read about heroes and/or people like yourself who attempted similar things and succeeded. It's also great to read training tips you can put into practice right away.

8. Raise money for a cause. If you're training for a race and raising money, it's some good motivation either by knowing you are helping so many more people than just yourself--or conversely, avoiding guilt .

9. JUST DO IT. When all else fails, I put on my running shoes and go outside. I tell myself, I do not have to run. All I'm going to do is put on my shoes and go outside. If I still want to just go back inside, I will. But at that point, if I've put the equipment on (or packed my swim bag, or taken the bike out and put a helmet on), I've usually cleared the hardest hurdle, which is just to get going.
2011-01-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3275040

User image

Expert
Cambridge
lounav - 2011-01-03 10:17 PM Newbie Question of the Week:  Topic Swimming

Recap: I'm set to do my first tri in June and am new to all three areas (started training 2 months ago).  Non-athlete, but have been working out regularly for past 1 1/2 years (mostly strength, elliptical, pilates).  Not working with much natural ability, but have lots of determination.

I started swimming about 2 months ago and have been trying to swim 3x per week.  Working with no formal training.  I started by just trying to swim and work on breathing and endurance.  After a few weeks I was around 3:00 per 100, but could swim the sprint distance.  Over the last three weeks I've been working with a video Terry Laughlin: Easy Freestyle Swimming (because this is what they have on netflix!) and doing drills.  I am now around 2:30 per 100 and feel much calmer with my swimming, but know I still have lots to work on with my technique.  I have also looked into doing some private lessons at the Y (was going to start with 4 lessons 1/2 hour each).  So here are the questions:

1) I have been delaying taking lessons because I wanted to be at a place where I had more to work with (more skill hopefully).  Is this an okay idea or should I just go ahead and do the lessons?  If I do the lessons, should I do 1 per week - 1 ever over week?  If I delay the lessons, how long should I delay?  Other options?

2) I'm getting ready to start my training plan in a few weeks and it has set swimming times.  How do people structure their swims?  How do you pick what drills you are going to do (and any good places to learn to do these drills)?  Any other tips?

All and any ideas welcome!

Thanks! 

2:30 IS NOT SLOW
Really, its not, there will be a lot slower, no matter what.
Agree with others on getting lessons  
2011-01-06 12:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser
and just because a bluesy little manatee is finding it hard to get his manatee mojo going ...

MOTIVATION FOR WINTER OR WHENEVER

Ah, it's difficult for all of us--especially in the long winter months! Here are tips and tricks for getting going when it's the last thing you want to do.

1. Focus on your goals and dreams. Put them in writing and post them up somewhere so if you need some inspiration, you can look at them and remember the big picture of what you're aiming for. A corollary here is to log your workouts--go look at all those milestones, those pretty colors (or that you need to reach for the bar) for a boost.

2. Focus on instant gratification. You're going to feel so much better once you get going, and especially after, when the endorphins, sense of accomplishment, and post-workout glow really hit. Most of your workouts will actually be energizing. Think of what you're getting: health, wellness, a fantastic fit body!

3. Join a support group. Whether it's your local tri or training club, group workouts, getting a training partner, signing up for a challenge group here on BT (or mentor group if you're new and one is open), the support is wonderful and as you see others building towards their goals, it's very inspiring to do the same. Knowing that others are depending on you or expecting something of you can really give you that little push you need to get out the door, on the trainer, or in the water.

4. Use a training plan. There are many free ones to choose from here, and if you find a paid-membership one that you might prefer, it is definitely more than worth the money to become a paid member. You won't find better plans or support for cheaper anywhere, and the plans are customizable. It's a lot easier to show up for a workout when it's already all spelled out for you and you know exactly what it's going to be.

5. Don't use the training plan. Don't let the fact that you won't be able to fit in the whole workout or do it exactly as planned stop you. It's a lot easier to get out there and do it if you know it's fine to do something rather than nothing and one or a couple altered days is perfectly okay.

6. Mental training helps. The practice of meditation or focused/guided visualization can be very helpful for keeping your motivation levels up. On the spot, if you're balking before a specific session, even a couple of minutes of meditation, focus, or thinking about the benefits can do marvels for motivating you to actually get up, go, and grab those gifts.

7. Read inspirational literature. It's wonderful to read about heroes and/or people like yourself who attempted similar things and succeeded. It's also great to read training tips you can put into practice right away.

8. Raise money for a cause. If you're training for a race and raising money, it's some good motivation either by knowing you are helping so many more people than just yourself--or conversely, avoiding guilt .

9. JUST DO IT. When all else fails, I put on my running shoes and go outside. I tell myself, I do not have to run. All I'm going to do is put on my shoes and go outside. If I still want to just go back inside, I will. But at that point, if I've put the equipment on (or packed my swim bag, or taken the bike out and put a helmet on), I've usually cleared the hardest hurdle, which is just to get going.
2011-01-06 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
oh, and yanti, you looked amazing in your first race, and you look amazing just as much (if not more) now

2011-01-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3282395

User image

Expert
Cambridge

I need help on mental side of things !
I have never really been able to just sit down, relax or chill you know.
Which iss wierd as i'm a very easy going laid back person.
But when it comes to anything, I take it all way to seriously and tend to stop having fun (Applies to sports, and bass guitar too)  
2011-01-06 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Nothing special to post, but I'll relay a conversation I had with myself last night.  During my commute home I was thinking about the racquetball friend I saw during my swim - we were both sponsored racquetball players playing at a national level (armature) few years back and although I have not played in 6 years, he has continued.  I started thinking about playing again and the differences between my swimming and his, as well as my condition now and when I was playing.

He - nothing against him - swam 4 laps while I completed my 10 prior to doing the flip turn lessons.  I noticed he was stopping to breath and recover while I just pounded out the laps.  That got me thinking about the running I used to do - yea - sometimes I was dorky enough to run with a racquet while bouncing a ball (it did help with ball control)... anyway, it hit me - I've changed.  I AM TRIATHLETE.  I used to leave my house and run the hills in the neighborhood and be exhausted – could not run the entire time (never did – not once).  Now I leave my new house, run 2 miles to the old neighborhood, run the same hills, and then run home feeling great without stopping (no racquet though).

We all should be very proud to call ourselves Triathletes REGARDLESS of the level at which we compete.  Even a mid or back of the packer could probably outdo the majority of individuals out there – we are doing it and they are not.  They think it is impossible and we often make it possible while training.  For those who have all the performance concerns and worries – just smile and know you are using a very high benchmark to measure yourself.

Be proud.

I AM TRIATHLETE

2011-01-06 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3282587

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
mackjenn - 2011-01-06 1:27 PM

Nothing special to post, but I'll relay a conversation I had with myself last night.  During my commute home I was thinking about the racquetball friend I saw during my swim - we were both sponsored racquetball players playing at a national level (armature) few years back and although I have not played in 6 years, he has continued.  I started thinking about playing again and the differences between my swimming and his, as well as my condition now and when I was playing.

He - nothing against him - swam 4 laps while I completed my 10 prior to doing the flip turn lessons.  I noticed he was stopping to breath and recover while I just pounded out the laps.  That got me thinking about the running I used to do - yea - sometimes I was dorky enough to run with a racquet while bouncing a ball (it did help with ball control)... anyway, it hit me - I've changed.  I AM TRIATHLETE.  I used to leave my house and run the hills in the neighborhood and be exhausted – could not run the entire time (never did – not once).  Now I leave my new house, run 2 miles to the old neighborhood, run the same hills, and then run home feeling great without stopping (no racquet though).

We all should be very proud to call ourselves Triathletes REGARDLESS of the level at which we compete.  Even a mid or back of the packer could probably outdo the majority of individuals out there – we are doing it and they are not.  They think it is impossible and we often make it possible while training.  For those who have all the performance concerns and worries – just smile and know you are using a very high benchmark to measure yourself.

Be proud.

I AM TRIATHLETE

Thanks John - this is so inspirational. I am loving all the encouragement and good vibes coming from the Manatees! The bolded is almost verbatim what DH tell me on the regular- maybe he is right!Tongue out
2011-01-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3282587

User image

Altrincham
mackjenn - 2011-01-06 7:27 PM

Be proud.

I AM TRIATHLETE

Great post John  Cool
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38