BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-21 10:17 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!

*WE ARE AVAILABLE TO MENTOR IMMEDIATELY, YUP, RIGHT THROUGH THE HOLIDAY MADNESS*

Welcome to Yanti and Lynn's Manatees! We're all mentors and 'mentees' but 'Manatees' sounds more fun!

You are welcome in this group no matter how preliminary or advanced your ability and goals are in triathlon or endurance sports. Just to establish our street (and pool?) cred, though, we’ve done a bunch of triathlons/multisport and distance running events, have lost a ton of weight during our journeys, and have manatee'd (mentored) for practically ever.

Yanti

Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with the national and my high school team. In the U.S, I coached/competed in martial arts at the world level, but became sedentary after an injury. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—before long I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I've now moved back to Indonesia, to the paradise island Bali, where I've started a triathlon club and will be taking Indonesian triathletes into official international competition for the first time in May.

I’ve been lucky enough to do races in many different countries. I’ve lost ~140 lbs since becoming active again. My personal training goals are modest as I'm coming off a devastating illness that affected my joints, but my focus this year is getting other people to their various starting and finish lines, whatever those may be.

Personal: I'm 34, delightfully single, have a black Lab who's smarter than I am and has trained my two insane cats to be that way, too.

Lynn

I've done 1 iron-distance aquabike, 2 half-irons, 3 marathons, 6 half-marathons and a few gazillion other tris. I've always been active, but having a family meant I neglected exercise at times. About 9 years ago I realized I couldn't wear any clothes in my closet anymore, so I joined a weight loss program, dropped 30 pounds and kept it off. It's really been a lifestyle change and the activity component is one among many parts to me staying healthy.

I did my first 5K 4 years ago only because I knew I could walk if I couldn't run it all. That's the way I approached my first 1/2 marathon as well--but I didn't walk in either, btw!

I started doing triathlon in 2008 after a friend died of breast cancer. I realized life could be short, so I did the BT beginner sprint tri program and then the triathlon, survived, and was hooked! I've researched and read as much as I can about tris and the swim, bike, run. I'd like to pass on anything that might be helpful to someone wanting to embrace the s/b/r lifestyle or any part of it.

Personal: I'm married, am 50 (yikes! ha ha) and have a teenage son who's a sophomore in high school, a dog, Augie, who's kinda nutty and 3 kitties (now 1 and two years old).

It's never too late to tri --- It's never too late to be who you might have been either. I look forward to sharing your journey with you.

Edited by TriAya 2010-12-22 10:04 PM

2010-12-22 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Master
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--OPEN
Ohhh, me me me, pick me.   Can I be a MAD MANATEE???  I have a half mary, 3 sprints and an oly on my wish list this year.
2010-12-22 1:50 PM

New user

Klamath Falls OR
Hi, I would like to join your group if there is room.

I have been into fitness always, I think. I really enjoy running which is where it all began in high school. I started biking a 20 years ago as a way to cross train due to some overuse injuries. Duathlons have been a part of my summers for the past 15 years in between the running events.

I have had this goal to do Tris for the last 10 years but have never been comfortable in the water. I consider myself a beginning swimmer that gets winded in 25 meters with a bad technique and usually end up in a back stroke just to make it that far. My kids are all off to college and I guess I have extra time on my hands and set a goal to do: sprint distance this year, olympic distance next year and Ironman when I turn 50.
Any advice is appreciated. This is going to be fun.

Thank you,
Floyd
2010-12-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3257841

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-12-23 2:44 AM Ohhh, me me me, pick me.   Can I be a MAD MANATEE???  I have a half mary, 3 sprints and an oly on my wish list this year.

Carla dear, I suspect you are not quite 'mad' enough--but then I read your sig line and I know, as I have known for long, that mad manateehood is your destiny.

Welcome back to the pod. High flipper.
2010-12-22 1:56 PM

User image

Altrincham
Hi there,

I think Manatee is quite apt for me until I learn to front crawl properly! You welcomed me to the site a couple of weeks ago but I'll recap.

I've got one sprint tri under my belt from September and I've got my eyes set on another one in April, a few weeks before my first baby's due. I'll just have to play it by ear after that; I've lightly pencilled in a few in August/September but we'll have to see.

In the meantime I'll form a training plan and get started...  Catch you soon

Niall
2010-12-22 1:59 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Airshooter - 2010-12-23 2:50 AM Hi, I would like to join your group if there is room.

I have been into fitness always, I think. I really enjoy running which is where it all began in high school. I started biking a 20 years ago as a way to cross train due to some overuse injuries. Duathlons have been a part of my summers for the past 15 years in between the running events.

I have had this goal to do Tris for the last 10 years but have never been comfortable in the water. I consider myself a beginning swimmer that gets winded in 25 meters with a bad technique and usually end up in a back stroke just to make it that far. My kids are all off to college and I guess I have extra time on my hands and set a goal to do: sprint distance this year, olympic distance next year and Ironman when I turn 50.
Any advice is appreciated. This is going to be fun.

Thank you,
Floyd

Oh hi again Floyd! yeah, it would be great to have you. Manatees, they look funny but they sure can swim.

here's a good swimming thread for you to ponder, with good resources on it, to hold you over for swim work until after the new year when you get coaching ... [blast, i can't link it, you'll have to cut and paste]

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=3109364;sb=post_latest_... />
it was written by gary hall, sr ... u.s. olympic swimmer extraordinaire as is also his son, gary hall jr.

gary sr. also posts here on BT

2010-12-22 2:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA
Hi Yanti and Lynn,

I'd love to be a Manatee. I'm already a little mad(ness).Cool I've been around awhile but have yet to enter a tri.

I have some anxiety issues around the bike (speed, riding in traffic, going downhill) that I tell myself are really minor and I'm working on! I losing weight slowly and have probably 40 lbs. to go. A couple seasons back I could do all the distances, but I've regressed since then.

I'm starting back on the couch to 5k in the New Year. I use the exercise bike here at home. And I've located a Master's group for swimming. There's an indoor tri in March I want to do--actually the swim is in the pool, the bike on trainers, but the run is outdoors. I believe I'll be ready for that. Then during the summer I want to complete a regular sprint.

I don't have a background in anything. I'm your basic overweight middle-aged nonathlete. I did join a softball team last summer and had a wonderful time. I irregularly play some really basic tennis. I'm working on consistency with yoga and strength training.

Especially after the softball, which was all new to me, I really feel this is my year for a tri and would love to be a member of your group.
2010-12-22 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3257871

User image

Melon Presser
Galwegian - 2010-12-23 2:56 AM Hi there,

I think Manatee is quite apt for me until I learn to front crawl properly! You welcomed me to the site a couple of weeks ago but I'll recap.

I've got one sprint tri under my belt from September and I've got my eyes set on another one in April, a few weeks before my first baby's due. I'll just have to play it by ear after that; I've lightly pencilled in a few in August/September but we'll have to see.

In the meantime I'll form a training plan and get started...  Catch you soon

Niall

lovely to have you, niall! galway if i remember?

by the way, the training plans here on BT are great and customizable--ask if you want to know more about some of the paid plans.
2010-12-22 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3257879

User image

Melon Presser
A Little Madness - 2010-12-23 3:00 AM Hi Yanti and Lynn,

I'd love to be a Manatee. I'm already a little mad(ness).Cool I've been around awhile but have yet to enter a tri.

I have some anxiety issues around the bike (speed, riding in traffic, going downhill) that I tell myself are really minor and I'm working on! I losing weight slowly and have probably 40 lbs. to go. A couple seasons back I could do all the distances, but I've regressed since then.

I'm starting back on the couch to 5k in the New Year. I use the exercise bike here at home. And I've located a Master's group for swimming. There's an indoor tri in March I want to do--actually the swim is in the pool, the bike on trainers, but the run is outdoors. I believe I'll be ready for that. Then during the summer I want to complete a regular sprint.

I don't have a background in anything. I'm your basic overweight middle-aged nonathlete. I did join a softball team last summer and had a wonderful time. I irregularly play some really basic tennis. I'm working on consistency with yoga and strength training.

Especially after the softball, which was all new to me, I really feel this is my year for a tri and would love to be a member of your group.

well clearly you have the perfect name for this group then

great job working on your bike issues. also, slow steady weight loss is the way to go. honestly, i'd almost say the slower the better. just personally i've found it much more lasting that way and also ... you don't get weird skin issues like you can if you lose a lot of weight fast.

indoor tri sounds great

i've been doing a lot of research lately on masters athletes and fitness (basically age 30-35 and up)--inspired by this amazing ironman champ who came to speak for our little tri club--and while yoga and strength training may not contribute directly to tri speed per se, the flexibility, stability, muscle mass retention, bone density retention you are likely to get will keep you in so much better fitness-health-youthishness (ha) overall, and that certainly will have an effect on any exercise, activity, sport, etc. you do.

we do. dagnabbit i keep forgetting i'm in my mid-30s, i think i got stuck at 19 or so.
2010-12-22 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3257864

User image

Master
TriAya - 2010-12-22 1:52 PM
crews - 2010-12-23 2:44 AM Ohhh, me me me, pick me.   Can I be a MAD MANATEE???  I have a half mary, 3 sprints and an oly on my wish list this year.

Carla dear, I suspect you are not quite 'mad' enough--but then I read your sig line and I know, as I have known for long, that mad manateehood is your destiny.

Welcome back to the pod. High flipper.

YaY!  Thanks!  So, a little about me...hmmmm let's see.  I'm 33, been married for 8 years and have a 6 year old son, 2 dogs and a cat. 

I added tris to my bucket list on my 30th birthday.  The next year I did 3 sprints, the year after that I only did one, but last year I knocked down a full mary and a hand full of metric century rides.  Swimming I can do, but to do laps will drive me batty.  I do some open water swimming during the summer, but I've found a tri training group in town and hope to much more ows in the spring.

My plan this year is to do at least 3 tris  -2 sprints and an oly-  along with a half mary.  I have lots of weight that is available for loss, but it just won't leave.  I'm going to work a little harder this next year on speed, so I'm hoping the extra efforts will increase fitness using some of the extra poundage as fuel.

Looking foward to another year of multi-sporting!
2010-12-22 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison
Can I join?

I am going on my 4th year of triathlons.  The last couple of years I stuck with Olympics and did a half-ironman last year.  This year's race schedule I have a half-ironman, sprint tri and IM Wisconsin.

I am 33 years old and married with no kids yet.  My wife is full time in school right now so I have the time to train.  I am on the bigger side and working to drop at least 20 pounds before Ironman Wisconsin because being big and doing all those hills will take a lot away from my run.

2010-12-22 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Do I need a mentor?
2010-12-22 3:25 PM

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

I would like to join this group.  The last two years have been a mess and this is the year to get back into it.  Was a member to different groups a couple years ago and there is value to this.  My thing this year is to get a marathon under my belt.  I have three Oly & some sprints and a century ride completed.  Excellent swimmer, good on the bike but running is a work in progress.  I know that I have to change some settings.

2010-12-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3258073

User image

Melon Presser
tri_ryan - 2010-12-23 4:21 AM Can I join?

I am going on my 4th year of triathlons.  The last couple of years I stuck with Olympics and did a half-ironman last year.  This year's race schedule I have a half-ironman, sprint tri and IM Wisconsin.

I am 33 years old and married with no kids yet.  My wife is full time in school right now so I have the time to train.  I am on the bigger side and working to drop at least 20 pounds before Ironman Wisconsin because being big and doing all those hills will take a lot away from my run.

Of course! welcome, Ryan! IM MOO ... that's fantastic. which half are you planning to do?
2010-12-22 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3258074

User image

Melon Presser
pga_mike - 2010-12-23 4:22 AM Do I need a mentor?

you need a manatee flipper thwack spanking is what you need. so, yes, i'd say you need to be a mentoree ... errr ... manatee.

besides, i'd feel better knowing there's someone with bigger flippers than mine around who shows that indeed, mighty-foot men CAN run.
2010-12-22 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3258077

User image

Melon Presser
Lagnar - 2010-12-23 4:25 AM

I would like to join this group.  The last two years have been a mess and this is the year to get back into it.  Was a member to different groups a couple years ago and there is value to this.  My thing this year is to get a marathon under my belt.  I have three Oly & some sprints and a century ride completed.  Excellent swimmer, good on the bike but running is a work in progress.  I know that I have to change some settings.

Sounds like you're in the right group! last couple of years have been pretty tough for me, too, with family and health issues effectively ending my racing seasons. anyhow, a marathon--great! what kind of training plan are you looking at?

2010-12-22 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Yanti / Lynn

I'd be interested in this mentor group to help prepare for the June race - escape from Alcatraz - and I'd like to focus some more on swimming - seems like your background.  Although I can do 1000 m in 20 minutes, I come out of the water exhausted.  I don't really have a Master's program to join due to travel / work hours / commuting.

I'm 45 come April, single, 3 daughters (ranging from 10 - 14) and I've completed 1 Oly tri last year (I'm the "old fat guy" cycling jersey).  I'm scheduled to do the Escape from Alcatraz June 5(Note:  The race weekend is the same weekend that I pay my last alimony payment - irony huh), and the Boulder Tri series (sprint in June, Oly in July, 70.3 in Aug.).  I may try to do another 70.3 in August - smaller one with a friend.  I'd like to do a full IM in 2012.

I've got the plans set that I want to follow and do a lot of research / reading to get ideas for improvements, so my main desire is a group of fun people to exchange ideas and goals as well as provide support and fun.  My humor is overflowing and I'm always ready with some wisecrack.

I can provide more detail if desired - but for now - please consider me.

Thanks!

2010-12-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3258182

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2010-12-23 5:25 AM

Yanti / Lynn

I'd be interested in this mentor group to help prepare for the June race - escape from Alcatraz - and I'd like to focus some more on swimming - seems like your background.  Although I can do 1000 m in 20 minutes, I come out of the water exhausted.  I don't really have a Master's program to join due to travel / work hours / commuting.

I'm 45 come April, single, 3 daughters (ranging from 10 - 14) and I've completed 1 Oly tri last year (I'm the "old fat guy" cycling jersey).  I'm scheduled to do the Escape from Alcatraz June 5(Note:  The race weekend is the same weekend that I pay my last alimony payment - irony huh), and the Boulder Tri series (sprint in June, Oly in July, 70.3 in Aug.).  I may try to do another 70.3 in August - smaller one with a friend.  I'd like to do a full IM in 2012.

I've got the plans set that I want to follow and do a lot of research / reading to get ideas for improvements, so my main desire is a group of fun people to exchange ideas and goals as well as provide support and fun.  My humor is overflowing and I'm always ready with some wisecrack.

I can provide more detail if desired - but for now - please consider me.

Thanks!

John, after extensively reviewing your pics again in BT Guys of 2010, I've decided to let you in on a provisional basis. Provided = you keep posting pictures of yourself

heh, your cycling jersey reminds me in a wee way of the turtle-honky-horn that i kept on my cruiser-bars old steelie right through my fifth triathlon. always got a giggle out of the volunteers with that horn ...
2010-12-22 4:32 PM

Hi!

I think I wanna join! I am 35 years old with a 2 1/2 year old daughter, two dogs and 3 cats (busy household!) I love biking, enjoy running and can tolerate swimming. I was a lifeguard as a teenager and have discovered the love of biking later in life. I love the idea of being a runner...but honestly have had trouble sticking to a plan. Last year I did a 10k (on a mucky beach in Nova Scotia) and pre-child I did a super-sprint triathlon and a couple of mountain bike races. I dream of doing triathlons (and a marathon or 1/2) and would love to join this group!

I'm not sure which races I plan to do this year - I want to set realistic but aggressive goals.

I'm looking forward to this!
2010-12-22 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3258196

User image

Melon Presser
spar - 2010-12-23 5:32 AM Hi! I think I wanna join! I am 35 years old with a 2 1/2 year old daughter, two dogs and 3 cats (busy household!) I love biking, enjoy running and can tolerate swimming. I was a lifeguard as a teenager and have discovered the love of biking later in life. I love the idea of being a runner...but honestly have had trouble sticking to a plan. Last year I did a 10k (on a mucky beach in Nova Scotia) and pre-child I did a super-sprint triathlon and a couple of mountain bike races. I dream of doing triathlons (and a marathon or 1/2) and would love to join this group! I'm not sure which races I plan to do this year - I want to set realistic but aggressive goals. I'm looking forward to this!

well hi spar (do you have another name or is that what you're called ...), welcome to beginnertriathlete and the Manatees!

there's something to be said for unstructured running ... just got to really listen to your body. but in any case, if you've got goals--plans are good!
2010-12-22 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

My 5k PR was at the Run for the Manatee's in April so I think this mentor group was meant for me if you'll have me. 

I did several sprint tri's in 2008 and then in 2009, I was plagued with weird injuries (tears in both my corneas and then a calf tear) so I only did a couple of tri's and started to lose my motivation to continue with the multisport life.  I started doing bike tours.  I stopped swimming because my coach left the gym I swam at.  I turned my sights to running.  Running went well and then I attempted Chicago marathon (my 2nd) and DNF'd because of a miriad of reasons that would've probably done me serious harm to continue.  Unfortunately, that DNF has really affected me.  I am struggling with running now and have started a galloway run:walk program.  My friend bought me spinning classes to get me back on my bike and I just found out my swim coach is back at the gym.  There is hope that I might try another tri I may just play with swimming and biking as crosstraining for my half marathon and possibly another marathon in 2011.  There is a part of me that can't part with my wetsuit or tri-bike.

I sure could use some support and I might even be a resource for sprint tri experiences. Oh, and by the way, I have set a goal to lose the 30 lbs that I've gained in the past 4 years.  I am down 6lbs but still have a long way to go. 

2010-12-22 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3258194

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Promise on the pics - may need to do some more recent ones.  I've got my own P90x aand Insanity programs to get into this winter; however, my focus is on weight loss and not muscle gain - want to hit my "racing weight" and then really start working on hard training (I can explain approach) and make recommendations for any groupies who are interested in it.  I've dropped 10lbs since late October preparing for a half mary in early December and want to drop another 10 by end of Feb.  Figure that would get me to my weight goals before training real hard.

I have a squirl squeeky horn from when my daughter used to ride behind me in the burley cart - might mount that on my bolt-on tri bars for the next race.
2010-12-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3258206

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2010-12-23 5:38 AM

My 5k PR was at the Run for the Manatee's in April so I think this mentor group was meant for me if you'll have me. 

I did several sprint tri's in 2008 and then in 2009, I was plagued with weird injuries (tears in both my corneas and then a calf tear) so I only did a couple of tri's and started to lose my motivation to continue with the multisport life.  I started doing bike tours.  I stopped swimming because my coach left the gym I swam at.  I turned my sights to running.  Running went well and then I attempted Chicago marathon (my 2nd) and DNF'd because of a miriad of reasons that would've probably done me serious harm to continue.  Unfortunately, that DNF has really affected me.  I am struggling with running now and have started a galloway run:walk program.  My friend bought me spinning classes to get me back on my bike and I just found out my swim coach is back at the gym.  There is hope that I might try another tri I may just play with swimming and biking as crosstraining for my half marathon and possibly another marathon in 2011.  There is a part of me that can't part with my wetsuit or tri-bike.

I sure could use some support and I might even be a resource for sprint tri experiences. Oh, and by the way, I have set a goal to lose the 30 lbs that I've gained in the past 4 years.  I am down 6lbs but still have a long way to go. 

run for the manatees -- why, this is serendipity

i'm a big galloway fan and have done several seminars with him.
2010-12-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3258207

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2010-12-23 5:39 AM Promise on the pics - may need to do some more recent ones.  I've got my own P90x aand Insanity programs to get into this winter; however, my focus is on weight loss and not muscle gain - want to hit my "racing weight" and then really start working on hard training (I can explain approach) and make recommendations for any groupies who are interested in it.  I've dropped 10lbs since late October preparing for a half mary in early December and want to drop another 10 by end of Feb.  Figure that would get me to my weight goals before training real hard.

I have a squirl squeeky horn from when my daughter used to ride behind me in the burley cart - might mount that on my bolt-on tri bars for the next race.

i have a Nemo one now. you can ride without brakes in indonesia--that goes for cars and bikes--but you CANNOT ride without a horn.

I also want to get down to racing weight, and it is actually easier to do when i'm not endurance training or racing! weight/resistance/strength training is going to be a significant part of that for me, and also to stabilize/strengthen my joints.

Edited by TriAya 2010-12-22 4:48 PM
2010-12-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3258215

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

TriAya - 2010-12-22 5:45 PM
jogo - 2010-12-23 5:38 AM

run for the manatees -- why, this is serendipity

i'm a big galloway fan and have done several seminars with him.

So does this mean I made the cut?   YEAH!!!!!  

I would love to pick your brain about intervals.  I just started reading his Book of Running.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38