BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-06 10:59 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
Hey guys I am signing up for my first masters class that starts on the 21st and would like to get an idea of what I am in store for. I have heard the broad idea of what masters is/does but I would like to get personal accounts from all of you as I have seen a few of you talking bout your classes here. 

2011-01-06 11:41 PM
in reply to: #3283534

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-06 3:52 PM Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm getting rid of a powertap Pro+ on a DT swiss rim for $675 shipped if anyone is interested.  

Didn't you just get that?  Or have you already convinced yourself to upgrade to a quarq/srm?
2011-01-06 11:47 PM

User image

Got in a nice 8.2 mile run after work.  Longest run since my December marathon, and the first run where I really felt back to normal.  Paced just under 9 minute miles which is a pretty fast for me considering I just tried to keep it comfortable.

I'm helping my dad do a construction side job on Saturday/Sunday...so I'm moving my long ride to the trainer tomorrow night...OMG...I must have lost my mind.  I bought a spinervals DVD...I think it was volume 13 or 14 called tough love...basically a 3 hour workout focused on centuries or IM distance bike legs.  Not sure if I'll do the whole thing, but I think I only tried it once since I ordered it in May.  Only made it 2 hours.
2011-01-07 5:04 AM
in reply to: #3278603

User image

Dagwoodz - 2011-01-05 3:52 AM Ok,

So earlier I had mentioned that I was going to be investing in an SRM for the bike, as it will allow my race wheels to remain that, racing wheels.  But I noticed that the quarq's are much less expensive.  The catch is that it's difficult to find a compact crankset quarq, and they are SRAM chain rings.  Right now on the bike, I've got DA in the rear, with an ultegra crankset, DA chain.  Would it be foolish to try and put an SRAM fitted quarq on this set-up?

Not at all, the two are very compatible.  You will get the same performance out of a quality SRAM chainring as Ultegra.  Why compact?   
2011-01-07 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3283757

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
tri808 - 2011-01-07 12:41 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-06 3:52 PM Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm getting rid of a powertap Pro+ on a DT swiss rim for $675 shipped if anyone is interested.  

Didn't you just get that?  Or have you already convinced yourself to upgrade to a quarq/srm?

The club bought a bunch of them for $1000 a piece with the joule 2.0 and this is an extra one that I offered to sell for the club.  It's barely been ridden and only on the trainer as I remember.  The computer doesn't come with it, but it does have a nice tire on there that I won't take off.

As for the infinit sale, check this thread out.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194546&start=1
2011-01-07 7:09 AM
in reply to: #3283144

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
msrevi - 2011-01-06 6:07 PM One other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!

I have a PoolMate and I like it a lot.  It's not as nifty as the swimsense one though.

Edited by jmkizer 2011-01-07 7:29 AM

2011-01-07 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3283433

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
_Deb_ - 2011-01-06 9:07 PM So, I'm planning on doing an early morning run tomorrow.  I ran early all the time in the summer, but I haven't done it since it's gotten cold out.  It won't be any colder then it's been a lot of the time during my daytime runs lately.  Do I have it in me?  If I wimp out on it, I'll have to do it in the evening after my husband is home, and then I'll do it at the track...

I cannot wimp out on my morning workouts.  Alarm goes of.  Dog gets up and needs to pee.  RIGHT NOW.  THIS INSTANT.  IMMEDIATELY.  After that I'm up so I had might as well do my workout

!Emma

Edited by jmkizer 2011-01-07 7:34 AM
2011-01-07 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3283680

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Wooden Bell - 2011-01-06 11:14 PM I just found a pair of used SPD pedals (shimano PD-M520), which will be my first clipless pedals.  Any reccomendations on spd shoes?

My favorite shoes are Sidis.  My husband has some much more reasonably priced Shimanos that he got from Performance
2011-01-07 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3283968

User image

Regular

I cannot wimp out on my morning workouts.  Alarm goes of.  Dog gets up and needs to pee.  RIGHT NOW.  THIS INSTANT.  IMMEDIATELY.  After that I'm up so I had might as well do my workout

I don't have a dog.  But I do have a husband who gets grumpy if I start hitting the snooze button.  Anyways, the good news is, I got out and did it.  I overdressed though, which is a bad habit I have when it's cold out.  I find it mentally easier to get out the door if I know I won't freeze right away.
2011-01-07 8:28 AM

User image

Hugo, MN
FWIW, I used Infinit last year for the IM.  It took the guesswork out of the nutrition on the bike for me, and you can mix it really calorie heavy (although it foams quite a bit). 

2011-01-07 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3284107

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
_Deb_ - 2011-01-07 9:25 AM

I don't have a dog.  But I do have a husband who gets grumpy if I start hitting the snooze button.  Anyways, the good news is, I got out and did it.  I overdressed though, which is a bad habit I have when it's cold out.  I find it mentally easier to get out the door if I know I won't freeze right away.

I have a geek chart that I did in Google Apps listing the temperature (temp, sunny, 5-10 mph wind), what I wore and if I was comfy or not.  One tab for biking and one for running.  Over time, I've got enough data that I have a good idea how to dress.

2011-01-07 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3284115

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
silentcs42 - 2011-01-07 9:28 AM FWIW, I used Infinit last year for the IM.  It took the guesswork out of the nutrition on the bike for me, and you can mix it really calorie heavy (although it foams quite a bit). 

I had the same problem.  The protein foams it up a bunch.  I ended up mixing my bottles and putting them in the refer the night before.  No problems after that.  Did you try that?
2011-01-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3284416

User image

Hugo, MN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 10:08 AM
silentcs42 - 2011-01-07 9:28 AM FWIW, I used Infinit last year for the IM.  It took the guesswork out of the nutrition on the bike for me, and you can mix it really calorie heavy (although it foams quite a bit). 

I had the same problem.  The protein foams it up a bunch.  I ended up mixing my bottles and putting them in the refer the night before.  No problems after that.  Did you try that?

That's pretty much what I did as well. 
2011-01-07 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3283534

User image

Regular
Augusta
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-06 8:52 PM Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm getting rid of a powertap Pro+ on a DT swiss rim for $675 shipped if anyone is interested.  

PM sent...
2011-01-07 3:21 PM

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

It feels really great to be training with more frequency after my holiday slump.  I was really weak in the pool today, but did manage to complete my workout yardage so I am pleased.

2011-01-07 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3283964

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

jmkizer - 2011-01-07 8:09 AM
msrevi - 2011-01-06 6:07 PM One other thing....  Anyone use or know anyone who is using the finis swimsense?  It is kind of like a garmin 310/305 for swimming.  Gives you lap and stroke count per length, golf score, time, etc...?  I am very interested in potentially getting one, but I want to hear from someone with hands on experience... Thanks!

I have a PoolMate and I like it a lot.  It's not as nifty as the swimsense one though.

I too have the PoolMate, and I love it.  I've opted not to invest in the $200 finis just yet.  My feeling is that the greatest benefit of the finis is the software, and I am very unlikely to consistently use it.  I don't believe it can be uploaded directly to BT (I could be wrong), and I am way too lazy to log onto more than one training site.  I just toggle through the PoolMate and type the results directly into my BT log, which I'll admit is time consuming.

But, for the record, if I didn't already own the PoolMate, I would have been all over the finis!

2011-01-07 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Did my first single leg drills today on the bike.  It was definitely awkward, but I can see how it is beneficial.  The biking, combined with eating smarter is definitely paying off.... I hit 208lbs over the Christmas break, and today I weighed in at 189lbs.  Still a long way to go to get to my goal of 170lbs, but I'll get there.  I know it's going to get harder now, since the first 5-10 pounds was just turkey
2011-01-07 5:27 PM

User image

wow...19 pounds in a couple weeks is impressive.  Even if some of it was just turkey...LOL.

My weight really fluxuated the past month too.  I've been steady at 162 for almost the whole year, then got down to about 156 after my marathon in mid december.  Slowly got back up to 162, then the holidays pushed me to 165 for a couple days.  Back down to about 159-161 though now that I'm back in full tri training again.  Really trying to get as close to 150 as possible by June.
2011-01-07 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3285549

User image

Champion
All,

I finally made it back to philly tonight and should be around pretty much full time now (read- On BT WAY too much).
It was great to see family over christmas and in FL this week, and some R&R was good but i'm glad to be home and back at it. Time to get some serious training in now.

I need to grab some dinner/check email and then i'll be back on here to post that info on run training.

2011-01-07 7:02 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that? 
2011-01-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3285698

User image

Regular
Augusta
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 7:02 PM We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that? 

That actually sounds like a great idea.  I'm all for it.  (been on the weight loss train for the past 9 months, almost at my initial goal.  Almost time to re-adjust!)

2011-01-07 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 6:02 PM

We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that?

Lets use monday as the weekly weigh in for those wanting to work on weight loss. I need to drop a few pounds after all of the holiday stuff and heading into some winter races, but i'm going to be using the mirror only for a while, no scale here.

2011-01-07 7:24 PM

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-07 2:02 PM We should try doing a weekly weigh-in for everyone that is trying to meet a goal.

Anyone up for that? 

I'm game...a little online accountability always helps.

I suppose for anyone shy about their weight...we can simply post a goal such as "lose 5 pounds", and your weekly update can simply be "lost 1 pound", or "gained .5 pounds"

Mondays also work best for me...my will power is weakest on weekends...so that will provide me some incentive to be sensible.
2011-01-07 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3285723

User image

Champion
Alrighty all,

Two things, first, Lets start monday with A- a weekly goals and we'll see at the end of each week how we did. Make them reasonable at first at least so you are not getting bogged down trying to hit unrealistic numbers. It can be something simple like stay active, or a set number of hours/miles. B-Monday is teh weekly weigh in for those looking to lose some weight this winter.

As promised, some thoughts on run training (we can hit swim/bike stuff next or see where this takes us first).

I wrote both of these last year:

Running slower to run faster:
There have been a LOT of questions about running today, and many great replies to them, but someof the questions (these seem to be pretty common ones), got me thinking.

The question comes up time and time again, why does running slower to race faster work, or how does it make sense.

The reason behind running slower is not for the sake of running slower, or that slower running is the best way to get faster. We run slower to allow us to run MORE. And running more leads to running faster.

This doesn't mean the daily runs need to be slow, or even at a given pace x above race pace, but rather they simply need to be done at a level that lets you come back and run the next workout without the previous one effecting it.

Some faster running added into the training plan is a good thing if done inteligiently, but by and far the large gains will come from simply putting in the time, and there really is no shortcut for this. steady, consistent mileage over time WILL make you faster, and leave you with a much better chance of keeping injuries away.

It took me a few years and a LOT of injuries for this to finally sink in, but now, 8 months into building this way, i a running faster, more, and best of all, injury free.

So, as scout says so often, Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Running injury free:
So before you read on, this is all based on my thoughts, research, experience, coaching, and personal racing. It is no way is law, and simply my semi-educated opinion on a few things.

We’ve all known one at some point, that runner that no matter how much they train, they seemingly just do not get hurt. It’s a low blow to most newer runners struggling with shin or other common running issues, but the fix and subsequent path to running injury free is actually quite simple as long as a few basics are understood and followed.
One of my largest issues I see with newer (and many times experienced) runners is simply doing too much too soon; either distance, intensity, or both. Many times the runner actually does a good job for the first few weeks/months of running before issues spring up. Many times with this the problem comes from the runners aerobic ability progressing much faster than the harder tissues/joints/tendons etc can build up to the distances. Because of this many runners tend to dive into speeds and efforts that are actually beyond what their bodies can handle even though they don’t feel as though they are running that fast.
The next big issue comes from an inappropriate training load, sometimes from too much mileage but more often than not from simply running harder than the body is able to handle day after day. Many runners putting in too fast of runs complain about not being to run more than a few times a week because they need time off after each run, when slowing down a bit would often solve this issues completely.
The question this brings up is don’t you need to run faster in training to race faster? To a point, no, you don’t. While running at/around/faster than race pace (depending on race distance) does have its place in training, most runners do not reach the place where it should be used. If we take out faster running, the only other way to up the training load is to run a bit slower and run more. It is worth noting that when runners or coaches talk about slowing down runs, this is the main reason. It is not for the sake of running slower, or that running slower has more of a benefit, but rather that slightly slower training will allow you to run more, more often, and THIS will lead to improved fitness. Because of the lower impact/damage done at a slightly slower pace, you can continue building mileage and frequency, and from this fitness, with MUCH less risk of injury.
Your training load is a combination of volume and intensity, and because of this you can accomplish a LOT through simply running more at a lower intensity. While some faster running is a good thing, most runners need to have more mileage under their belt than they do before starting to add it in. I think for most, that slowly upping mileages until time/practical returns hit a wall before adding in speed work is a good rule of thumb and likely to keep most runners from A- adding in faster work before its safe, and B-, improving at a steady rate for much longer than they thought possible.
Lastly, I wanted to touch base with shoe choice. I very strongly believe that while running in the correct shoes is important, the proper build up and execution of a run program is WILDLY more important to staying injury free. Personally I think that the recent jump in popularity of vibrams, flats, and running barefoot actually helps to show this in that is forces runners to basically rebuild from the ground up their run training, both in terms of how much, how often, and how hard. EVERY single person I have seen re-start like this, regardless of shoes, has done well running, and I think goes a long way to point out how proper, slow, purposeful building helps in a healthy run program.

2011-01-07 8:11 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
I like the weekly goals idea.  I'm definitely in for that.  I'll have to come up with it by Monday.

I've obviously read your article before, but it's a good one and I personally am able to run now because of this advice.  It's good to read again at the start of a new training season when we all sort of jump into things a bit quickly with the excitement of registering for races and all.

Thanks for posting. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57