BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-03-06 6:15 AM
in reply to: #3384411

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
Baowolf - 2011-03-05 9:01 PM

Woot great race!  I finished the 3 mile run in 17:58 (although the clock said 17:55 when I crossed the line).  That is roughly a 2:30 min PR over my last race of around this distance (a while ago).  My splits were 6:00, 6:00, 5:58.  I ended up coming in 7t h overall (some serious heat out there with some 15 minute times and 2nd in my age group.  But more importantly I beat my 16 year old son by 2:42. 

Other family finshes, 16 year old 3 mile 20:40, wife 26:45, 1 milers 13 year old 8:00, 9 year old 8:40, 5 year old 9:57.  We brought home a 2nd, 4th and 5th place. 

It was pretty amazing, I never run that fast, but it all came together.  When I saw the time from the first mile I figured that the big miles I have been putting in should carry me through and they did.  Phew.  Now my son will have to work for another year to have a shot at me. 

WOW Steve!! Very impressive! Now there's a testament to consistent training!! Sounds like a great day, not just for you, but for the whole family! Congrats! I predict a great time for you in Boston.....

2011-03-06 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3383984

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
squirt - 2011-03-05 1:15 PM

Still bike shopping...and ran across the ad below on Craigslist....close enough that I could go look at it.  I was not looking for a tri bike, just to move from my mtn bike to a road bike, but this one looked interesting.  I'm 5ft4 and even the size 7 shoes would stand a good chance of fitting.  Is this worth looking at, or would you guys recommend sticking with a road bike since I'm so new to all of this?

I am selling my gently used Cervelo P2 SL 48" tri bike.

It has less than 750 miles on it. It is equiped with Shimano Ultregra componets and is a 2008 model.

Also with the bike you will receive everything pictured which includes the following:
*Lake clip-in shoes (European Size 39, US size 7)
*Look KEO easy pedals
*Brand new (replaced aftermarket/upgrade from original saddle) Selle Italia Lady gel flow saddle
*Cateye Velo 5 bicycle computer
*Brand New (replaced aftermarket/upgrade from original aerobars--these added a lot more options of fitting the bike perfectly to your needs) ProfileT2+ aerobars and cannondale C2 handlebars.
*Saddle bag with full emergency kit included as well as water bottle cage.

This is an awesome tri bike! I am 5'4" tall and it was a perfect fit. Cervelo says this bike would fit anyone from 5' to 5'5"

This bike has been kept in great condition and has had annual tune ups.

I am asking $1300 for everything listed here.

Squirt - I think that's a pretty good price for this bike. As Todd said, fit is very important, and probably more so for a tri bike than for a road bike. For tri bike fit, one of the most important dimensions to consider is the top tube length (that's the tube between the seat & the handlebars). When you're in aero position, your elbows should be pretty close to a 90 degree angle. For me personally, when I was looking at tri bikes, the Cervelos I tried didn't fit me well - the top tube was too long and left me feeling "stretched out". I'm not saying that will be the case for you, but it's something to be aware of if/when you look at this bike.

One reservation I might have for you is that it's a pretty dramatic change in position going from a relatively upright position on a hybrid/mountain bike to aero position on a tri bike. You have to be comfortable in the aero bars on this bike, because that's where your shifters will be (so when you test ride, make sure you are comfortable with and get the hang of using bar-end shifters), and also be comfortable going from the aero bars to the bull-horn handle bars for braking. So definitely go test ride the bike, and make sure you're comfortable - in the aerobars, on the bullhorns, and going back and forth between the two.

Do some honest evaluation, and think hard about whether you want your next bike to be a tri bike or a road bike. If you're mainly going to be using your bike for triathlon training and racing, the the tri bike would make sense. If you plan to do a few triathlongs, but most of your riding will be more "casual" - like group rides, organized bike tours, etc., then a road bike might make more sense. When I first started triathlon, I had an ancient road bike that was really a bit too big for me. I purchased a new, but pretty basic road bike and used some clip on aero bars for my first year of racing. My second year I purchased a tri bike, and now I use both bikes pretty regularly. I use the road bike for winter riding, some group riding, and hillier terrain, and the tri bike for just about everything else (I ride the tri bike on group rides quite a bit, I just stay out of the aero bars when I'm in close proximity to other riders). I'm actually very comfortable on my tri bike, and could probably use it as my "only" bike, but I definitely can't climb as well on it as on my road bike (it has to do with difference in frame geometry, I think).

I think I'm starting to babble.... The bottom line is: this bike is definitely worth looking at, but fit, comfort, and what kind of riding you plan to do long-term will be important considerations...
2011-03-06 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
P.S. Just did a little googling on the Cervelo, and was reminded that the P2 has a reversible seat post which allows you to vary the seat tube angle. According to what I read, one way gives you a 74 degree angle (more similar to road bike seat tube geometry) and tje other way gives you a 79 degree angle, which is pretty aggressive tri geometry. When you test ride, you could try the the seat tube in both oreintations and see if one works better for you.
2011-03-06 7:24 AM

User image

New user

Wow, I just read all the posts on this page and I think Spring fever may have sprung.  Lots of positive people here today.  How about 3 miles in under 18 min?  That one really caught my eye, great job.                                                                                                                                 

This week's Accountability Post:  This past week was week 5  of training for me.  With the exception of one 16 mile bike ride yesterday, I totally rested.  Since I am using the Tri training for fat loss and last week that stalled, I thought it was a good time to take a week off and consume my maintenance level of calories.  This week I am going to follow the plan for S/B/R from Triathlon Training for Dummies, but I am going to mix up my strength training and change routines.  It's 98 days to my Tri.  Good Luck Everyone!

2011-03-06 8:10 AM

User image

I am pretty new to biking and I have some biking questions.  I am riding 2 days a week (on a trainer); one long ride (hour) with high cadence and medium resistance and one speed ride.  This week I added another day of speed.  Is it okay to do multiple speed rides in one week?  Is there something else I should be doing in addition to a long ride and speed?  Every once and a while I throw in some one leg drills and I have a few dvds that I have done in the past too.  I was able to ride outside a few weeks ago and even though it was crazy windy, I was overwhelmed with how hard it was to ride.  It made me rethink a spring tri (which will be my first tri ever) and now I am a bit apprehensive about even signing up for one.  I have a Specialized Dolce Triple - which from reading everyone's bike comments does not sound like the greatest thing but I started biking on my 13 year old nephew's walmart road bike, so mine feels like luxury.  I bought it new (and with no upgrades except clip pedals and shoes and a cadence computer) and it was all that I could afford.  Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback on the biking.  Thanks  Allison

Oh, I go on Tuesday for a 3 hour bike fitting - really excited about this!

The following is the speed ride that I am doing:

Intermediate Speed Program

Adjust the bike to

Pace

Duration

Intensity (1-10)

Level 3, low resistance

Comfortable

5 minutes

Level 5, medium resistance

Moderate

2 minutes

Level 6, medium resistance

Fast

2 minutes

Moderate

5 minutes

Level 7, med - high resistance

Fast

3 minutes

Moderate

4 minutes

Fast

2 minutes

Moderate

5 minutes

Level 7, medium-high resistance

Fast

3 minutes

Moderate

2 minutes

Level 3, low resistance

Slow

5 minutes

2011-03-06 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3383463

User image

Squirt:

The clip pedals and shoes make such a huge difference!  I practiced with mine on the trainer first and then took it outside.  I rode probably 30 times before I fell.  I find that if I tell myself "unclip right foot; put it on the ground" then I do fine.  The only reason I fell is that I was focused on my water and not stopping and unclipped my right foot and tried to step down with the left.  The only injury sustained from my fall was to the bike - scuffed up a few parts but nothing major.  I became comfortable with them in no time and now muscle memory plays a large part and I don't have to focus on stopping as much.

Edited by ajbrown 2011-03-06 8:23 AM

2011-03-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: #3383105

User image

Tribeagle - Awesome speed session!  I hope your 20 mile run goes as well

Edited by ajbrown 2011-03-06 8:27 AM
2011-03-06 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks so much for the feedback and encouragement on the Curvelo as well as the clipless pedals!  I really appreciate it.  Jenny, your "honest evaluation" comment was spot on. I love doing events primarily to have goals to keep me interested in being fit, for the atmosphere, and to encourage me to try new things and push a bit more than I would otherwise.  While I do want to improve, I am much more of an enjoy the journey kind of gal than a serious competitor type.  I'm also a bargain hunter, and seeing that curvelo bike w/ all extras for what appears to be a good price in what is likely my size turned my head.  I'm also looking at a new Specialized Dolce Elite (Sram Apex components) at the local bike shop for the same price.  At a gut level it seems more like the right bike for me based on my goals.  Oh, and free fitting and tune ups for life on the new one I'm kinda keen on too

Edited by squirt 2011-03-06 9:09 AM
2011-03-06 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3383984

User image

Regular
Minnesota
squirt - 2011-03-05 12:15 PM

Still bike shopping...and ran across the ad below on Craigslist....close enough that I could go look at it.  I was not looking for a tri bike, just to move from my mtn bike to a road bike, but this one looked interesting.  I'm 5ft4 and even the size 7 shoes would stand a good chance of fitting.  Is this worth looking at, or would you guys recommend sticking with a road bike since I'm so new to all of this?

I am selling my gently used Cervelo P2 SL 48" tri bike.

It has less than 750 miles on it. It is equiped with Shimano Ultregra componets and is a 2008 model.

Also with the bike you will receive everything pictured which includes the following:
*Lake clip-in shoes (European Size 39, US size 7)
*Look KEO easy pedals
*Brand new (replaced aftermarket/upgrade from original saddle) Selle Italia Lady gel flow saddle
*Cateye Velo 5 bicycle computer
*Brand New (replaced aftermarket/upgrade from original aerobars--these added a lot more options of fitting the bike perfectly to your needs) ProfileT2+ aerobars and cannondale C2 handlebars.
*Saddle bag with full emergency kit included as well as water bottle cage.

This is an awesome tri bike! I am 5'4" tall and it was a perfect fit. Cervelo says this bike would fit anyone from 5' to 5'5"

This bike has been kept in great condition and has had annual tune ups.

I am asking $1300 for everything listed here.

Wow. It is certainly worth a look--Cervelo P2 is a very good tri bike and has ultegra, and it's outfitted with things you would otherwise have to  buy separately for if you purchased new--Look pedals, upgraded saddle and aerobars, etc. Take a test spin. At that price, someone will snap it up. But that's not to say it's the right bike for you--but do try it.  Tri bikes take some getting used to and being stretched out on the aerobars with be an odd feeling if you are used to an upright position. One of my friends has a P2 and even though she had clip-on aerobars on her road bike before, being so low took some getting used to. Try it and then try the Specialized. The Specialized sram apex components aren't as good as the Cervelos but it will be a totally different feel. Sram Apex is their entry level component but the reviews for them are quite good. Try them both but realize that comparing the two bikes will be like comparing apples and oranges. As Jenny has said,  your ultimate plans for the bike--mostly tris or some tris but more group rides etc. should help you make your choice.  And see if the geometry of the Specialized would be such as to allow you to put clipon aerobars on it.

Edited by ewengler 2011-03-06 10:20 AM
2011-03-06 10:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Great 5k this morning PR at 21:?? - saw the first mile split at 6:28, second mile at 13:20, and a finish around 21 minutes - the rain held off till I was walking back to the car - perfect 52F. Now for the masters swim.
2011-03-06 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3384875

User image

Regular
Minnesota

cobratodd - 2011-03-06 10:16 AM Great 5k this morning PR at 21:?? - saw the first mile split at 6:28, second mile at 13:20, and a finish around 21 minutes - the rain held off till I was walking back to the car - perfect 52F. Now for the masters swim.

Congrats on the PR, Speedy!!

2011-03-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3384411

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Baowolf - 2011-03-05 8:01 PM

Woot great race!  I finished the 3 mile run in 17:58 (although the clock said 17:55 when I crossed the line).  That is roughly a 2:30 min PR over my last race of around this distance (a while ago).  My splits were 6:00, 6:00, 5:58.  I ended up coming in 7t h overall (some serious heat out there with some 15 minute times and 2nd in my age group.  But more importantly I beat my 16 year old son by 2:42. 

Other family finshes, 16 year old 3 mile 20:40, wife 26:45, 1 milers 13 year old 8:00, 9 year old 8:40, 5 year old 9:57.  We brought home a 2nd, 4th and 5th place. 

It was pretty amazing, I never run that fast, but it all came together.  When I saw the time from the first mile I figured that the big miles I have been putting in should carry me through and they did.  Phew.  Now my son will have to work for another year to have a shot at me. 

Fast family, you've got!  Super fast splits. Congrats!

2011-03-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3384699

User image

Regular
Minnesota
tjcin - 2011-03-06 7:24 AM

Wow, I just read all the posts on this page and I think Spring fever may have sprung.  Lots of positive people here today.  How about 3 miles in under 18 min?  That one really caught my eye, great job.                                                                                                                                 

This week's Accountability Post:  This past week was week 5  of training for me.  With the exception of one 16 mile bike ride yesterday, I totally rested.  Since I am using the Tri training for fat loss and last week that stalled, I thought it was a good time to take a week off and consume my maintenance level of calories.  This week I am going to follow the plan for S/B/R from Triathlon Training for Dummies, but I am going to mix up my strength training and change routines.  It's 98 days to my Tri.  Good Luck Everyone!

Sounds like you are training smart and doing great! Keep it up!

2011-03-06 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Grats on the 21 min 5k, good splits 6:28, 6:50, 6:40.  With upping your miles I am sure you can hold that 6:30 pace steady through the run and break the magic 20 min barier. 
2011-03-06 3:31 PM

User image

New user
Thanks Ewengler.  After a week off, I am looking forward to this week's workouts.  TJCIN
2011-03-07 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3384737

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ajbrown - 2011-03-06 9:10 AM

I am pretty new to biking and I have some biking questions.  I am riding 2 days a week (on a trainer); one long ride (hour) with high cadence and medium resistance and one speed ride.  This week I added another day of speed.  Is it okay to do multiple speed rides in one week?  Is there something else I should be doing in addition to a long ride and speed?  Every once and a while I throw in some one leg drills and I have a few dvds that I have done in the past too.  I was able to ride outside a few weeks ago and even though it was crazy windy, I was overwhelmed with how hard it was to ride.  It made me rethink a spring tri (which will be my first tri ever) and now I am a bit apprehensive about even signing up for one.  I have a Specialized Dolce Triple - which from reading everyone's bike comments does not sound like the greatest thing but I started biking on my 13 year old nephew's walmart road bike, so mine feels like luxury.  I bought it new (and with no upgrades except clip pedals and shoes and a cadence computer) and it was all that I could afford.  Anyway, I would really appreciate any feedback on the biking.  Thanks  Allison

Oh, I go on Tuesday for a 3 hour bike fitting - really excited about this!

The following is the speed ride that I am doing:

Intermediate Speed Program

Adjust the bike to

Pace

Duration

Intensity (1-10)

Level 3, low resistance

Comfortable

5 minutes

Moderate

2 minutes

Fast

2 minutes

Moderate

5 minutes

Level 7, med - high resistance

Fast

3 minutes

Moderate

4 minutes

Fast

2 minutes

Moderate

5 minutes

Level 7, medium-high resistance

Fast

3 minutes

Moderate

2 minutes

Level 3, low resistance

Slow

5 minutes

Alison,

It sounds to me like you're doing fine on your bike training. Adding a second day of harder bike training will probably be fine. I think most people can handle higher intensity training on the bike without risk of injury. In fact, I would guess that most people could easily afford to work harder on the bike than they do... Just pay attention to how you're feeling as you add that third session, and back off a little if you feel overly fatigued by it.

The speed program you're following looks fine. Where did you come across that, by the way? I'd be interested in looking at the whole program. Instead of adding an additional day of the same kind of speed work, you might consider making your third session more of a tempo-type ride. After warming up, do maybe 3 x 5 min @ or just above "threshold" - since it sounds like you're training by RPE, that would be the point where you're breathing is fairly labored, you're feeling some muscle fatigue for most of the 5 min interval. The higher the level of effort you can hold for each 5 min interval, the better. Follow each 5 min effort with about a 2 min recovery. As you get stronger on the bike, work on lengthening the "work" interval, and shortening the "rest" interval. Another type of session you could incorporate would be (after warm-up) to alternate 1 min very hard/1 min easy. Again, as you get stronger, you can progress that to 1:15 very hard/0:45 easy; 1:30 very hard 0:30 easy, etc. Both of these kinds of sessions will help build your ability to hold a harder effort for a longer period of time.

There's a coach here on BT that has posted a link to a great bike training program, you could take a look at that, too. Here's a link to his blog with the program: http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.html

When you say you were overwhelmed by how hard it was to ride outside - what was it that was difficult for you? If it was crazy windy, then don't get too discouraged.... Riding in wind IS hard!! I'm sure you'll be fine for your spring tri! Keep up the good work!

2011-03-07 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3384699

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tjcin - 2011-03-06 8:24 AM

Keep up the good work, Tim! Sounds like you're on the right track!
2011-03-07 6:28 AM
in reply to: #3384804

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-03-06 10:09 AM

Thanks so much for the feedback and encouragement on the Curvelo as well as the clipless pedals!  I really appreciate it.  Jenny, your "honest evaluation" comment was spot on. I love doing events primarily to have goals to keep me interested in being fit, for the atmosphere, and to encourage me to try new things and push a bit more than I would otherwise.  While I do want to improve, I am much more of an enjoy the journey kind of gal than a serious competitor type.  I'm also a bargain hunter, and seeing that curvelo bike w/ all extras for what appears to be a good price in what is likely my size turned my head.  I'm also looking at a new Specialized Dolce Elite (Sram Apex components) at the local bike shop for the same price.  At a gut level it seems more like the right bike for me based on my goals.  Oh, and free fitting and tune ups for life on the new one I'm kinda keen on too

Hey Squirt,

Just to be clear, I didn't mean at all that you shouldn't consider the P2... It is certainly a great deal for the bike, and it might end up being just what you want! I just wouldn't want you (or anyone) rushing into buying a bike just because it's a "good deal". I think you should definitely check it out and take it for a spin. Just make sure it's the right bike FOR YOU before you decide to buy. In the end, whichever bike gets you excited to get out and train will be the right choice! Good luck, and happy shopping!!
2011-03-07 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3384875

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
cobratodd - 2011-03-06 11:16 AM

Great 5k this morning PR at 21:?? - saw the first mile split at 6:28, second mile at 13:20, and a finish around 21 minutes - the rain held off till I was walking back to the car - perfect 52F. Now for the masters swim.

Nice job, Todd! Congrats on the PR!!!
2011-03-07 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran

Who ordered this snow?!  We have ~15 inches on the ground this morning.  I opened the door this morning and the porch steps had disappeared.  The dogs were NOT happy (and they normally like snow - just not when it's over their heads).

My 20 miler got done, but it was miserable!  It was raining for the first 2 miles, then turned to pelting sleet for 2 miles, and the snow for the rest.  I was surprised how fast it went from wet roads to snow/slush covered.  It was a slow 20 mostly due to tricky footing and having to get out of the way of cars, but I felt good about getting it done (I was arguing with myself while running about how far I really "had" to go, but ended up doing the whole thing).

Looks like there were several PRs over the weekend.  Congrats!

2011-03-07 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Awesome race, Todd!  Looks like we have a few closet speedy peeps here!

Tribeagle, way to get the 20 done.  You got your mental training in for sure, and the physical is a bonus.

Jenny, no worries, you just wrote what I was thinking.  Validation is good!  The Curvelo is no longer listed, so someone likely snapped it up.  I felt relieved, not disappointed.

Today was a couple of firsts...had some ART done on my IT band and some glute muscle I can't remember.  Topped that off with my first ever spin class this evening.  Oh, and ran 5 miles this morning...sprinkled w/ a bit of walking to keep my HR out of the stratosphere.  Managed to work some too , but will have to do more of the real work stuff and less of the workout stuff tomorrow if I want to pay the bills and buy a bike.

Happy workouts and rests to all!

2011-03-08 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3386090

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tribeagle - 2011-03-07 10:35 AM

Who ordered this snow?!  We have ~15 inches on the ground this morning.  I opened the door this morning and the porch steps had disappeared.  The dogs were NOT happy (and they normally like snow - just not when it's over their heads).

My 20 miler got done, but it was miserable!  It was raining for the first 2 miles, then turned to pelting sleet for 2 miles, and the snow for the rest.  I was surprised how fast it went from wet roads to snow/slush covered.  It was a slow 20 mostly due to tricky footing and having to get out of the way of cars, but I felt good about getting it done (I was arguing with myself while running about how far I really "had" to go, but ended up doing the whole thing).

Wow.... I think we're probably done with snow here for the winter (I probably shouldn't say that too loud!) Nice job getting that 20 miler done in tough conditions. Now it's taper time - right?
2011-03-08 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3387643

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2011-03-08 5:23 AM
tribeagle - 2011-03-07 10:35 AM

Wow.... I think we're probably done with snow here for the winter (I probably shouldn't say that too loud!) Nice job getting that 20 miler done in tough conditions. Now it's taper time - right?

YES!!  Thank goodness! 

2011-03-08 7:22 PM

New user

So I am starting to freak about my first (sprint) tri.  It is not until June but all things considered it is not that far away.  I am starting a structured training plan and am nervous that I won't be able to do it.  I can't do plenty of individual tasks but putting them together seems overwhelming.  My rational mind knows I will be fine come race time but my irrational mind sees what others are doing and feel (for lack of a better word) inadequate.

What were little things that helped you gain confidence? 

2011-03-08 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3389239

User image

peteacher - 2011-03-08 8:22 PM

So I am starting to freak about my first (sprint) tri.  It is not until June but all things considered it is not that far away.  I am starting a structured training plan and am nervous that I won't be able to do it.  I can't do plenty of individual tasks but putting them together seems overwhelming.  My rational mind knows I will be fine come race time but my irrational mind sees what others are doing and feel (for lack of a better word) inadequate.

What were little things that helped you gain confidence? 

1st @tribeagle Impressive!! I wouldn't attempt 1 mile in snow/ice, nevermind 20. Your power of will is inspirational!

@peteacher I absolutely know what you mean! I would suggest putting faith in your training. If you are following the plan relatively closely, you are training your body and it will know what to do and be able to do it. I've had a couple different athletes tell me recently that you're not going to be a rock star when you're training. Training at a steady, comfortable pace (even if it's slow) is doing wonders to prepare your body for the big event.

I have also been told to do brick workouts-even if one part of them is super short. So, when you finish your bike workout go for a short run, even if it's just around the block. This will get you used to the feeling of the bike to run transition and hopefully make it less intimidating. You could even do a short run before or after swimming-just to put the two activities together.  Just a thought-hope this helps!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23