BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

OK I wasn’t going to post this but why not……

To HIM or not Him that is the question.

Here’s the deal the last tri of the year for me is Oct 3rd and I need to sign up for it before the end of the week otherwise the price goes up. This is an Olympic length race but it just so happens to be going on simultaneously with a HIM. If you sign up for the Olympic you have till Aug 25 to upgrade to the HIM.

I was always going to do an olymipic this year and do a HIM next year. The easy and safe choice is to sign up for the olymipc and pay the extra fee for the HIM when Aug 25th rolls around.

Question is do I throw caution to the wind (I’m not good at that) and commit myself to the HIM or play it safe and upgrade. The only downside is the money and more importantly that fail safe bail out of just doing an Olympic if I don’t feel like I can do a HIM. I might have regret the day of the race if I don’t do the HIM.

Oh and if it’s of any value I talked w/ my old mentor (bhannahs) and he thought I would do fine at the HIM distance.

Edited by acv 2011-04-27 2:29 PM

2011-04-27 2:49 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Adam, that's a good question. Will this be your A race? I'm guessing it would.

How much would you be pushing yourself to do an OLY?

How much to do the HIM?

IMHO if you can easily/comfortably do the OLY then there's less of a challenge, less of a goal, and it will be a lesser achievement that will motivate you accordingly all summer long. The HIM, on the other hand, could be quite a different scenario.

When it's all over, and you have all winter to think about it, which will you be happier saying:

1) I went conservative and finished an OLY, met my goal, and I'm happy. I stayed within/closer to my limits and will expand my abilities at a comfortable rate. This was wise from both injury prevention and time management standpoints. My significant other doesn't hate me. I'm in a better position to escalate to a HIM with what I know now.

or

2) I challenged myself with a bucket-list kind of goal, didn't hold back, and went for it. I learned/finished/struggled/killed myself/grew from all that effort. I redefined my limits. It was hard as hell and I may have met my ultimate effort, but then again a full IM is now closer to being within my reach (or something I know better than ever is just not for me).

I'm not trying to suggest one is better than the other. Only you can determine which of those suits you, your abilities and freedoms best. Both are admirable. The decision alone will say a fair bit about you. I look forward to hearing your logic as you approach it.

Disclaimer: an OLY will take me another year (minimum) to train for. I wholly admire what you're considering.

2011-04-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: #3469595

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-04-27 3:28 PM

OK I wasn’t going to post this but why not……

To HIM or not Him that is the question.

Here’s the deal the last tri of the year for me is Oct 3rd and I need to sign up for it before the end of the week otherwise the price goes up. This is an Olympic length race but it just so happens to be going on simultaneously with a HIM. If you sign up for the Olympic you have till Aug 25 to upgrade to the HIM.

I was always going to do an olymipic this year and do a HIM next year. The easy and safe choice is to sign up for the olymipc and pay the extra fee for the HIM when Aug 25th rolls around.

Question is do I throw caution to the wind (I’m not good at that) and commit myself to the HIM or play it safe and upgrade. The only downside is the money and more importantly that fail safe bail out of just doing an Olympic if I don’t feel like I can do a HIM. I might have regret the day of the race if I don’t do the HIM.

Oh and if it’s of any value I talked w/ my old mentor (bhannahs) and he thought I would do fine at the HIM distance.

I will put this disclaimer out there first; I signed up for my first IM a week after completing my first sprint.

Your biggest challenge is not completing the race, it is whether you are comfortable that you can commit the time to train for that distance properly.  The biggest difference is not the number of workouts per week, although there is a little of that.  The biggest obstacle people face is the time on the weekends doing the longer bike rides and runs.  In other words, instead of doing 25 - 35 mile training rides on Saturday, you will be building up to and completing several rides of 55 - 60 miles.  Same thing with the run, instead of 6 - 8 mile runs, you will be building to 13 - 14 mile runs.

Really, there is not a big jump in swim volume as the oly distance and HIM distance swim is relatively close.

I beleive if you go to my logs and highlight the calender tab about 25 % down from the top, then click on planned training you will see what my HIM plan is like from now until my race July 17th.  Since it is a custom plan, it has more runs than is standard with the canned plans, and less swims but you will get the idea.  Also, go to the training plans here and look at a couple of them.

Time is probably your biggest obstacle and if you can over come that, you will be fine.

Good luck!
2011-04-27 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3469666

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-27 3:49 PM

How much to do the HIM?

IMHO if you can easily/comfortably do the OLY then there's less of a challenge, less of a goal, and it will be a lesser achievement that will motivate you accordingly all summer long. The HIM, on the other hand, could be quite a different scenario.

When it's all over, and you have all winter to think about it, which will you be happier saying:

1) I went conservative and finished an OLY, met my goal, and I'm happy. I stayed within/closer to my limits and will expand my abilities at a comfortable rate. This was wise from both injury prevention and time management standpoints. My significant other doesn't hate me. I'm in a better position to escalate to a HIM with what I know now.

or

2) I challenged myself with a bucket-list kind of goal, didn't hold back, and went for it. I learned/finished/struggled/killed myself/grew from all that effort. I redefined my limits. It was hard as hell and I may have met my ultimate effort, but then again a full IM is now closer to being within my reach (or something I know better than ever is just not for me).

I'm not trying to suggest one is better than the other. Only you can determine which of those suits you, your abilities and freedoms best. Both are admirable. The decision alone will say a fair bit about you. I look forward to hearing your logic as you approach it.

Disclaimer: an OLY will take me another year (minimum) to train for. I wholly admire what you're considering.

Good post thanks...

I guess this would be an A race no matter what distance. I really feel like I'm in a good postion to really nail an olympic lenght race. But I also feel like the HIM has been my goal ever since I figured out what for HIM was short for. Smile

Here's another thought if they didn't have the upgrade option no doubt I wouldn't have considered the HIM this year. But the door has been opened and now it's on my mind.

2011-04-27 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3469823

User image

Veteran
Georgia
acv - 2011-04-27 4:51 PM
marvintpa - 2011-04-27 3:49 PM

How much to do the HIM?

or

Good post thanks...

I guess this would be an A race no matter what distance. I really feel like I'm in a good postion to really nail an olympic lenght race. But I also feel like the HIM has been my goal ever since I figured out what for HIM was short for. Smile

Here's another thought if they didn't have the upgrade option no doubt I wouldn't have considered the HIM this year. But the door has been opened and now it's on my mind.

Great post guys..Well here is my two cents worth...Still a newbie second year in, I did an Olympic for my first event, I wanted to do a HIM for my first event this year but after a shoulder injury I regeared my thinking to do that in September now, I signed up for an Olympic instead to replace it.. I feel like this sport is what you put in is what you get in return. October is a ways off, but if you could get the training in I would do the HIM..however  if you see that you are not progressing at the HIM distance training then go for a PR in your Olympic race.. I really love the Olympic, I think though if you signed up for the HIM you would be very happy with yourself in the offseason..

2011-04-27 5:25 PM
in reply to: #3468110

User image

Pro
Houston
robingray_260 - 2011-04-26 10:38 PM

Hey All - sorry I have been out of the loop for the last few days.

I got back from our vacation yesterday and I either have a cold or allergies. But it is kicking my butt right now. So I haven't got a workout in since last Wednesday. I am tapering for Sunday's HM, but usually taper doesn't mean do nothing. I will hopefully get in an easy run and yoga class tomorrow.

Another big issue right now is hubby was just offered a job in Anchorage. Would be a huge promotion for him, but would also mean moving to Alaska. Freaking out right now, stress very high - don't know what to do. sigh.

I'm sorry I missed this post Robin, I would be fah-reaking out if I were you. I have heard Alaska is gorgeous and I've been to Wyoming and know it is gorgeous there. What is your biggest concern with moving? Would this be an indefinite move or something for X amount of years? I moved to Houston 15 years ago with the promise it would only be 3 years but circumstances changed and here I am. It kind of grows on you but I know Anchorage would be very different for me but not sure how much of a climate change it would be for you. Wishing you all the best and calm thoughts during this process.

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-04-27 5:26 PM

2011-04-27 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Wow so much going on...

Robin I hope the stress level goes down a little for you...the idea of moving that far away would be very hard. Hope your feeling better too.

Adam, this will be my first HIM and I'm scared, last year I did one Oly and I gotta say it was tough, but I think at least for me, I'm going to train to do whatever distance I sign up for. My boys are old enough/and at their dad's 1/2 the time so I also have the time to train. I just have to make myself do it sometimes. I think if you want to do it you can.

Geoff, not sure if this was mentioned...I know someone said something about shorts, but one thing I've noticed is that when I'm on the trainer I do better if I Dont have much padding. If I use my tri shorts I'm fine, but have problems with thicker pads. Riding I seem to be ok with either.
2011-04-27 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Thanks Keri and Julie, It will be way easier when we have finally decided, the flip flopping back and forth right now is killing me and I can't tell anyone. The climate is actually similar: WY has the wind where AK has the clouds (right now I will take the clouds)! The hardest part of moving to AK will be just how far away it is from everything.  

Anyways back to tri talk! Got in a short run today and some abwork. Was supposed to have yoga class but it was cancelled. Tomorrow I hope to get in a swim. Friday will be a short run and the last workout before my HM on Sunday.

I think the discussion on the HIM has been good - don't know if I have anything to add as I have only done sprints. Good luck with your decision!

2011-04-28 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3470312

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-04-27 9:57 PM

Thanks Keri and Julie, It will be way easier when we have finally decided, the flip flopping back and forth right now is killing me and I can't tell anyone. The climate is actually similar: WY has the wind where AK has the clouds (right now I will take the clouds)! The hardest part of moving to AK will be just how far away it is from everything.  

Anyways back to tri talk! Got in a short run today and some abwork. Was supposed to have yoga class but it was cancelled. Tomorrow I hope to get in a swim. Friday will be a short run and the last workout before my HM on Sunday.

I think the discussion on the HIM has been good - don't know if I have anything to add as I have only done sprints. Good luck with your decision!

Glad you got your run in!  How are your legs feeling?  Typically during taper my legs get a little heavy if I don't do some strides or pick ups.  Glad my race Sunday is a B race that I am just training through so I don't have to taper much!
2011-04-28 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Recovery Week!

So do any of you plan recovery weeks? I’m not on a set plan yet I’m just base building to get in shape for my 20 week plan which starts in about a month. I usually do a 3 week build 1 week recovery.

Judging by the way I’ve been feeling and the fact that this is my 4th week of building time & distance I think I’m due for a little recovery. I usually just drop the distance by 15-20% and try to add an extra rest day in. Then I pick up where I left off the week before.

So what do the rest of you do? I’m especially interested in people training for longer distances where the miles really do add up quick.

2011-04-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3470704

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-04-28 8:54 AM

Recovery Week!

So do any of you plan recovery weeks? I’m not on a set plan yet I’m just base building to get in shape for my 20 week plan which starts in about a month. I usually do a 3 week build 1 week recovery.

Judging by the way I’ve been feeling and the fact that this is my 4th week of building time & distance I think I’m due for a little recovery. I usually just drop the distance by 15-20% and try to add an extra rest day in. Then I pick up where I left off the week before.

So what do the rest of you do? I’m especially interested in people training for longer distances where the miles really do add up quick.

Thats a pretty good plan and typical schedule of a lot of plans.  I know when I set up the plan using the custom plan creator here on BT it asked if I prefered a 3 week build or 21 week, which would mean either a recovery week every 4th or 3rd.  I chose every 4th as I seem to well with that.  The volume cut back is good too.

As far as rest days, I am not one to take a rest day very often and it is usually due to outside influences like business travel when I do take one.  But that is a personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer.  I just find that if I do my easy days easy and my hard days hard, I don't need a day of nothing.  There is usually one day a week that my only workout is a swim, so I consider that my rest day for the legs.  But for some people having one or even two rest days a week helps both physically and mentally and is a great tool for injury prevention.

Anyone else have any thoughts on recovery weeks and rest days? 

2011-04-28 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Busy week.  I will have to go back and catch up on everyone's posts.  My son has had a fever on and off since Monday, so I have been home with him.  He went to daycare today, so I get to work.  It also means, I will make it to spin class today.  Dug around in my yard yesterday.  Sore buns and hammies today.

Leaving tomorrow for a 7 hour drive to my parents house.  We will be coming back on Tuesday, so I won't be posting much (probably) until I get back.  BUT I should have plenty of time to run and my dad has a stationery bike - So I will be able to use that. 

2011-04-28 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I'm in the midst of a recovery week.  Which translates to no change on the bike, an 8 mile run last night at a good pace for me and no predetermined bike workouts, just spending easy time on it.  All good.
2011-04-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3470735

User image

Pro
Houston

kenj - 2011-04-28 8:03 AM Anyone else have any thoughts on recovery weeks and rest days? 

My coach has me do a recovery week every 4 weeks usually. It is more obvious if you look at September/October of last year and late February/March of this year. I still train every day but not as long.

As far as rest days I haven't had my coach build them into my training, however, I have taken more than my share this month. With a bunch of kids I figured there would be days I could not train and that day would turn into a rest day. However, I'm not sure I like that anymore. What happens is I miss a day and then I stress about making up the workout(s). It would be nice mentally to know you had a day off coming and you really could enjoy that day off.

I think I am going to ask him to build in a day off every other week. If you don't have lots of travel and other things getting in your way of training I think a recovery day is great especially the day after your long ride or run to give your body that recovery.

I am going to expound on that saying that I do believe as we get older we need more recovery time. Those in their 20s and even early 30s muscle repair and fatigue recovery happens faster. My recovery tights are one of my best friends and I know for me it is important to have my long run and long bike days apart - I could never do long run on Friday long bike Sunday. I do my long run Wednesday and long bike Saturday or Sunday depending on schedule.

2011-04-28 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3470785

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-04-28 9:20 AM

Busy week.  I will have to go back and catch up on everyone's posts.  My son has had a fever on and off since Monday, so I have been home with him.  He went to daycare today, so I get to work.  It also means, I will make it to spin class today.  Dug around in my yard yesterday.  Sore buns and hammies today.

Leaving tomorrow for a 7 hour drive to my parents house.  We will be coming back on Tuesday, so I won't be posting much (probably) until I get back.  BUT I should have plenty of time to run and my dad has a stationery bike - So I will be able to use that. 

Glad your son is doing better!  Have a safe trip! Train well!
2011-04-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3470844

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-28 9:46 AM I'm in the midst of a recovery week.  Which translates to no change on the bike, an 8 mile run last night at a good pace for me and no predetermined bike workouts, just spending easy time on it.  All good.

Nice work Ice!

I don't know if your sig line is new or I just hadn't noticed it before, but thats good! 

Edited by kenj 2011-04-28 2:29 PM

2011-04-28 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3470853

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-04-28 9:50 AM

kenj - 2011-04-28 8:03 AM Anyone else have any thoughts on recovery weeks and rest days? 

My coach has me do a recovery week every 4 weeks usually. It is more obvious if you look at September/October of last year and late February/March of this year. I still train every day but not as long.

As far as rest days I haven't had my coach build them into my training, however, I have taken more than my share this month. With a bunch of kids I figured there would be days I could not train and that day would turn into a rest day. However, I'm not sure I like that anymore. What happens is I miss a day and then I stress about making up the workout(s). It would be nice mentally to know you had a day off coming and you really could enjoy that day off.

I think I am going to ask him to build in a day off every other week. If you don't have lots of travel and other things getting in your way of training I think a recovery day is great especially the day after your long ride or run to give your body that recovery.

I am going to expound on that saying that I do believe as we get older we need more recovery time. Those in their 20s and even early 30s muscle repair and fatigue recovery happens faster. My recovery tights are one of my best friends and I know for me it is important to have my long run and long bike days apart - I could never do long run on Friday long bike Sunday. I do my long run Wednesday and long bike Saturday or Sunday depending on schedule.

Good info Keri. 

How often do you interact with your coach and how does this tie into getting your plan changed?
2011-04-28 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
BTW Keri, I just read through the bike strength training thread.  I have some of the same thoughts about swimming as you do with biking, but love the sport and community enough to suck it up and get in the pool.  (And once I get there I usually enjoy it more than I think I will) but I understand what you were saying.

Personally I enjoy the strength training enough to do it anyways, but I think it helps me personally. 
2011-04-28 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3471987

User image

Pro
Houston

kenj - 2011-04-28 2:58 PM BTW Keri, I just read through the bike strength training thread.  I have some of the same thoughts about swimming as you do with biking, but love the sport and community enough to suck it up and get in the pool.  (And once I get there I usually enjoy it more than I think I will) but I understand what you were saying.

Personally I enjoy the strength training enough to do it anyways, but I think it helps me personally. 

This is me too. Weight training is my first love and I like being back in the gym. I don't think it will hurt so I will keep doing it.

A lot of folks find the swim frustrating, I know my husband did. I didn't have a swim background at all but it came pretty easy for me. The issue with the bike is frustration with not getting better and I really am in pain the whole time. I have had several different saddles 3 professional fits, a new crank changes to my cletes etc. and just when I think it is better I realize it's not. However, I am in a much better mood today and I also believe my dedication to the bike is in question. I find the bike very daunting. I put a lot of consistent work in the bike last summer/fall and I feel like I"m starting all over again. We will see. Of course having 5 kids makes it hard to get out for a bike ride. I can check the girls in the Y and go for a run in the neighborhood, can't do that on the bike.

I know my coach in person, he is local but I do not see him on a regular basis (Houston is a HUGE city) and we don't live near each other. Most of our interaction is done via e-mail but also via inspire here on BT (he is a member and has been a MG mentor in the past). He is a great guy, very even tempered and I appreciate him very much. His strenght is also the swim (swam in college) but he is also a beast on the bike and the run isn't too shabby (he's just pain fast). He writes my plan 4 weeks in advance and before setting it all up he will ask if there are days I cannot train or things he has to keep in mind. He will also make time and pace changes along the line so those 4 weeks are not set in stone.  We have a couple of meetings a year and talk about my goals and what I am wanting to focus/improve on. We set goals for each of my races and I train with those races in mind. I find the accountablility very helpful.

2011-04-28 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
As for as a recovery week , the plans I follow has a cut back on time and distance every fourth week..Like Kenj I try to do something everyday unless work or family comes first. I also start tapering about two weeks out from a race so I will be fresh, but even the taper weeks there is still movement in all three disciplines.. Also if I do miss a workout I don't try to kill myself and make it up I just work a little harder on the next one.. There was a great 12 week  Olympic program in last month Triathlon magazine..
2011-04-28 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I don't usually plan recovery weeks, they seem to just happen. It is the same with rest days - something usually comes up at least once every two weeks if not a lot more. It seems they come in groups too. I will do great for 3 weeks and then miss 4 or 5 days in a row. I try not to sweat it and am luckily eager to get back to training - I know a lot of my friends have trouble getting back started again if they miss a few days.

Ken you asked earlier how my legs were feeling during the taper. They feel great! However, I have only run 1 time in the last week and it was on a treadmill. I have another run tomorrow and hopefully outside.

2011-04-29 4:34 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Good feed back on recovery weeks and rest days!  Nice!

Robin and I have HM's this weekend, good luck Robin and have fun!

Anyone else racing that I missed or big workout plans?
2011-04-29 6:59 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

I have a question for the group about starting to run.

I'm sure we've all encountered the recommended practice of starting slowly. Walk and run, short distances, etc. in order for the body to adapt and acclimate.

My question is, what does "adapt and acclimate" really mean in this case?

My issues when I started running in the past were all joint related. Do joints adapt and acclimate?  I'm having a hard time believing that. Yes, the muscles around them would get stronger but I could do that in a gym. A physio designed some orthotics for me and they seem to be working fine, so that could potentially account for/remedy issues I've had in the past.

The reason I ask is that I don't want to run my way into injury, but I'm running out of time to prepare for my first race of the season. I play a fair bit of hockey and have been riding all winter so I'm not really concerned about leg strength.

2011-04-29 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3472818

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-29 7:59 AM

I'm sure we've all encountered the recommended practice of starting slowly. Walk and run, short distances, etc. in order for the body to adapt and acclimate.

My issues when I started running in the past were all joint related. Do joints adapt and acclimate?  I'm having a hard time believing that. Yes, the muscles around them would get stronger but I could do that in a gym. A physio designed some orthotics for me and they seem to be working fine, so that could potentially account for/remedy issues I've had in the past.

The reason I ask is that I don't want to run my way into injury, but I'm running out of time to prepare for my first race of the season. I play a fair bit of hockey and have been riding all winter so I'm not really concerned about leg strength.

The answer to your question is not a simple yes or no because it depends.  Yes your joints do adapt to a certain degree as does the muscles and tendons that are all part of the package.   But if there are underlying issues beyond just a lack of time running, obviosly running more isn't going to help.  Orthotics may help when they are used properly, and by that I mean with professional advice.  Shoes can also play into this.  The reason the shoe manufacturers have some many different models is because we are all different.  Over pronators, under pronators, heel strikers, mid-foot strikers, heavier folks need additional cushioning.  The list goes on and on.  One of the reasons I recommend going to a running store that fits you in a shoe using videa tape to see your running gait and recommend the proper pair.

Unfortunately Tom, the biking and the hockey help with the lungs, and to some extent the legs, but there is no way to condition the run other than to run.  The bike and the hockey. strength training too if you are into that, may make you a better runner.  Just my opinion.
2011-04-29 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3472818

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-29 7:59 AM

Tom,

You don't have a lot of details in your logs. What distances have you been running and what is the distance of the race and when is it exactly?

I do believe for myself that my joints do need to get in "shape". When I start out they need time to adapt. I have to think that hocky is great for your muscle conditioning but not for joints. 

I know people who go out and run 8 miles after doing nothing the entire winter, I can't. I need to be consistent and need to build a base. I'd love to get a tranier this winter and hit the treadmill at the gym on a regualr basis so I can get up to speed even faster next year.

Good luck!

Edited by acv 2011-04-29 8:09 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72