BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-12 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3495298

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
nmladic - 2011-05-12 9:04 AM

@Nick: Great race! Congrats on finishing and thank you for sharing your experience. Can't believe you got kicked so hard in the head. At the ladies' races I've done, we get kicked but usually it's only a few seconds of hurt and then back to normal. I will have to keep this in mind for the race I'm doing (with guys) in July!

@Christy: My race bike times are always much faster than my average training times, like multiple minutes. I bet on race day the competitive spirit will put some wind in your sails!

I have a question for the group: my tri swim distance is 1.5K, which I believe is around 1,600 yards (please confirm!). I train in a pool. Right now my longest workouts are sets involving 300 meters (3x300 is the most I've done) (I've only been swim training for about a month). What long distance should I be working up to in month 2? Should I be aiming for 3x600, or double the distance of my first month? 

(ps. before you point it out, I know I'm supposed to do some OWS before the big race but I'm not sure it's going to happen. The only OW near me is lake michigan and it's freezing! I'm less worried mentally about the OWS concept because I grew up swimming in lakes, more concerned about making the distance. Pleased to learn that there will be places to rest along the route.

Nicole-1.5km is a little more than 1640yds.  I'm not too sure about what your 2nd month should look like.  How much time do you have before the race? Are you comfortable swimming 300yds continuously? (not sure I spelled that right). If you can swim 3x600, I would say go for it.  You just want to make sure you have enough time to build up before the race. 
Sorry I'm not more help.  Maybe someone else will have an actual answer for you Smile

Christy

2011-05-12 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3494308

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
PnkHxC81 -

In las vegas the bike leg tends to be hilly and windy which effects your time. How do you translate that time to times on courses that are flat? I am trying to get an idea of how much I need to improve to get to certain goals. 

Kevin-that's a tough one.  Hard to compare races as all are different in terms of difficulty of the course or conditions on race day.  USAT assigns a "score" to all racers in sanctioned events.  Basically, there is some formula they use based on the times of certain participants that have prior race ratings.  Not sure how to explain it but it is somewhere on the USAT site.  That score is suppose to assess performance and is used across all races for rankings.  Not sure how well it works but faster folks seem to have better scores than I do....so its at least right in that regard.

You have hills and wind.  Other places have heat and  humidity and I guess somewhere there is that perfect course with the type of weather we dream of. 

Randy
2011-05-12 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nicole-I would shoot for workouts in the 2500 yards/meters as you get closer to the race.  There should be some good workouts in the plans here on BT.  There are also several 2200-2500 workouts posted each week on www.tripower.org in the "new forums" section.  You can always adjust the workouts.  Most swim workouts have intervals in the main set and rarely much in terms of long continuous swims.

The toughest part of any swim for me is getting through the first 300 yards or so.  Over the past couple of months I have started almost every workout with a straight swim of 500 yards or more.  I always struggle to find my breath and settle in with the increased heart rate around 200-300 yards..even when swimming easy.  After I get to 350-400 I typically settle down, find a rhythm and feel comfortable.  I think doing this regularly makes me more comfortable at the beginning of a race.  Also good to work on starting at a more moderate/hard pace to simulate race conditions and then settle into of a pace consistent with the race distance.

Not sure how much that helps.

Randy    
2011-05-12 8:26 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Who is racing this weekend?

I have the Peachtree International outside of Atlanta Saturday morning.  Olympic ...but bike may be 26 miles not sure.

Randy
2011-05-13 1:01 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael

I will be racing this weekend in a local sprint put on by the University I am attending. I am hoping to take home my first overall victory. I placed 3rd overall last year and think with the improvements I have made this year that I have a fairly decent shot at taking it. 

In other news, I was asked to conduct a transition clinic a few weeks ago for university students that might be interested in trying their first triathlon this weekend. The clinic was tonight and went really well. I am no expert and have only been doing triathlons for two years but it was really cool sharing the small amount that I do know and answering peoples questions about first time racing. 

Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend.

@Nick- nice job with your race! 

2011-05-13 6:17 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good luck Matt.

Rob will be racing Florida 70.3 this weekend if I remember right?

Anyone else?

Randy

2011-05-13 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!  Can't wait to read all the race reports. 

I have a weekend of dress rehersals and ballet recitals.  I would rather be racing Smile

Christy

2011-05-13 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3496854

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Good luck everyone racing this weekend!!
2011-05-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3496965

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Somewhere between last Sunday and this moment I have lost my mojo. Spin on Tuesday felt weak. I didn't do a swim, as planned on Wed (but I did run in the a.m.). I skipped spin yesterday. Today I went to my tri class and could not get in to it, at all. the spin felt weak again, the run... pft.. I walked. The swim... well I did about a 300 and hung out at the wall chit chatting about the Texas Ironman, which is next weekend.

My legs are on FIRE. It's not my shins, it's the area in between my calves and shins, on the inside. Is there a technical muscle name for that, or is it still your calve?!

I am exhausted. I can't get my diet on track this week.

I sound like such a baby, but I needed to vent!

Anyway... if you find my mojo, please return it... ASAP!!

2011-05-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3496986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
khharms - 2011-05-13 8:04 AM

Somewhere between last Sunday and this moment I have lost my mojo. Spin on Tuesday felt weak. I didn't do a swim, as planned on Wed (but I did run in the a.m.). I skipped spin yesterday. Today I went to my tri class and could not get in to it, at all. the spin felt weak again, the run... pft.. I walked. The swim... well I did about a 300 and hung out at the wall chit chatting about the Texas Ironman, which is next weekend.

My legs are on FIRE. It's not my shins, it's the area in between my calves and shins, on the inside. Is there a technical muscle name for that, or is it still your calve?!

I am exhausted. I can't get my diet on track this week.

I sound like such a baby, but I needed to vent!

Anyway... if you find my mojo, please return it... ASAP!!

This happens to me.  I assume it happens to everyone.  I have a few good weeks where my main focus is training.  Then I have a week where I'm just burnt out.   It happens to be this week too. Maybe your mojos are hanging out together.  I've been looking for excuses not to train.  Just know that in a couple of days you'll be back to training hard and enjoying it.  I think diet has a lot to do with it.  I haven't been eating right this week.  It makes me feel gross and slow, which in turn makes it hard to train. 

Good luck!

2011-05-13 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

@Christy and Randy - Race is July 16. Swimming is definitely my weakest area, so I will be sure to check out the workouts. My BT plan only has recommended times, not distances, so this information is very helpful. I am going to start incorporating longer distances in my swims starting this weekend. I'm comfortable with 300 yds. Think I can push up to a continuous 600 in the next 2 weeks, and will aim for 2500 yd. workouts using tripower.

Once my 10-miler is over (May 28), I am going to focus less on running and a lot more on swimming. My plan is to hit the swimming hard in June to get ready for July.

Thanks!

2011-05-13 2:39 PM

User image

New user

Hi guys. Sorry I haven't been posting at all these last two weeks. Been really busy with medical exams and haven't been reading the forum. Where are we up to with discussions? What are we talking about?

James

2011-05-14 7:37 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
As a discussion, I would love to hear opinions about cycling shoes. I am still in the "cage" pedals. There are so many choices out there!
2011-05-14 10:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey guys. Had good race. 2:27 Olympic distance. 7th out of 40 in age group, more details when I get home tonightRandy
2011-05-14 10:21 AM

User image

New user

I have use both spd mountain bike pedals and look keo pedals on my two road bikes.

Without commenting on price of weight this is my take on them:

The spd's are easy to clip into because you can clip in on both sides of the pedal and iso I use this to commute to hospital as there is alot of stopping. The spd's aren't as solid as the keo pedals. I use keo pedals on my racing bike. They are much more solid and you feel really connected to the bike and get great purchase especially when you stand up on hills. The downside is you can only clip in on one side of the pedal.

I couldn't imagine not clipping into my road bike. It is so easy t there is no wasted movement of the shoe and never do I get foot pain.

I am sure people use other pedals as well but that's my experience so far!

James

2011-05-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3498714

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-05-14 10:11 AM Hey guys. Had good race. 2:27 Olympic distance. 7th out of 40 in age group, more details when I get home tonightRandy

7th out of 40!!  That's great!

2011-05-14 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3498583

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

djb45 - 2011-05-14 7:37 AM As a discussion, I would love to hear opinions about cycling shoes. I am still in the "cage" pedals. There are so many choices out there!

I have Shimano spd's on my road bike.  I like that you can clip in on either side.  I just got a tri bike and I have Shimano 105's on that. I like that they are wider and I feel like i have more  of a platform to push on. My feet don't fall asleep as much riding them either.  Not sure if that's the pedals or the new shoes.  I am still getting use to not being able to clip in on both sides.  It has made for some scary situations. 

Christy

I just realized you asked about shoes.  Oops.  Here are my shoes.

http://gearwestbike.com/product/bontrager-rxl-hilo-wsd-shoes-62460-1.htm

Edited by cbrookhart 2011-05-14 11:16 AM
2011-05-14 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3498714

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

Congrats Randy! Can't wait to hear about it!!

Hope everyone is having a  great weekend - I'm taking some time for myself, getting caught up on house cleaning, laundry and now on to more birthday stuff for my baby. One month until she's ONE. Time went way too fast

2011-05-14 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

I'm still using cage pedals. The clip-in shoes kind of freak me out and seem like an unnecessary expense. Are they really that much better? Why?

I had a terrible run today, and a bad week in general. Been under the weather with allergies and for some reason am just feeling discouraged lately... It's a really busy, stressful month and I'm struggling to make time for my training while fitting everything else in. The Soldier Field 10-miler is in about 2 weeks, so I'm hoping that race provides me with the motivation I need to get through June and July.

Randy - 7th out of 40!? Awesome! Congrats, can't wait to hear more about it.

2011-05-14 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3499032

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-05-14 3:28 PM

I'm still using cage pedals. The clip-in shoes kind of freak me out and seem like an unnecessary expense. Are they really that much better? Why?

I think they are better because you're more connected to your bike.  So, it's easier to push and pull.  You also don't have to worry about your feet slipping out of the cages.  I'm not saying you should go out and get them, just giving you some pros of them.

Christy

2011-05-14 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

This weekend, and pretty much all of last week, is lost for me.  I just had no time to get my workouts it.  I'm really upset about it, but there is nothing I can do.  My gym hours on the weekend aren't great and I'm basiclly a single mom this weekend so, i don't have many options.  I shouldn't complain.  But I get so cranky when I don't workout.  I need some kind of outlet. Plus my HIM is in 6 weeks.  I'm getting nervous and I worry I won't be ready.

Since I can't do much else, I think I'm going to spend some time practicing changing my bike tube and getting in and out of my wetsuit.

Christy

2011-05-14 4:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Survived the 4+ hour drive home and have pulled up final results. Very pleased overall...but I left some time out on the course:

Heading into this I was worried about my run since I had several injuries flare up after my race 4 weeks ago.  I have only run about 30 miles in the last month.  Going in I was hoping to break 2:30.  Broken down I was thinking 30 minutes for swim and 2 transitions.  1:08 or so for bike and 50 minutes for the run.  That left me a little wiggle room to get in under 2:30.

Swim 1500m time 30:07 11/50 in age group (AG) Not a good start.  It was a solid swim in a nice lake.  Consistent effort with no problems but thought 2:30 was out the door when I looked at my watch coming out of the water.  In looking at the results 11th in my AG last year was 26:00.  Not sure if course was long or what but everyone I talked to said there swim was slow...Lots of time to make up.

T1 2:04 pretty good for me.

Bike 25 miles  time 1:07:21  22.3 mph avg. 4/50 AG.  Oh what could have been.  Felt good on the bike and was moving along well.  At about mile 6 we start up a long hill and as I shift I drop my chain.  Its wedged in so I have to find a place to stop and then work the chain out.  UGH! 2:30 now seems an impossibility.  Figure I lost 2-3 minutes here.  Rest of the bike fairly uneventful.  I just kept plugging and really wasn't upset as I thought 2:30 was lost anyway.  Pushed the last 6 miles or so pretty hard and felt like I was around 1:08 coming into T2.  In looking at the results the top bike split in the AG was 1:05:10..... I might have been close without the chain issue

T2 1:17 not great

Run 10k 46:34 (7:31/mile)  16/50 AG  As I headed out of T2 my watch said 1:40 elapsed time so I needed sub 50 minutes to get in under 2:30.  Felt pretty good so decided I would try to maintain 7:45/mile pace and see how long I could hold on.  The miles slowly clicked by and I was maintaining  the pace so building a little buffer for my 50 minute time.  Faded between miles 3 and 4 but then starting feeling better at mile 4 so pushed a little faster and then pushed a little more to the finish.  I thought I was in the 2:28 range and was really pleasantly surprised with the run.  Hopefully, my quad and hamstring wont flare up tomorrow like they did after my last race.  Very happy with my run.

OVERALL-pleased with the result.  Ended up 7/50 in AG.  This race was considered the USAT Southeast Regional Championships so awards went 5 deep.  Without the chain issue I might have been #4-5 but its not a big deal.....don't really need another coffee cup anyway   Really glad I was able to mark off a couple of my season goals including 1) sub 2:30 Olympic 2) sub 50 min. Olympic 10k run  

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and support

Randy   
2011-05-14 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3499108

User image

Regular
Carmichael

@Randy- awesome race! Way to not let the mechanical issue ruin your day and finish it out strong. For shooting for a 50 min 10K 46 min is outstanding. Hope you recover nicely.

@Nicole and Deb- X2 what Christy said about a more efficient pedal stroke. You lose quite a bit with cages. It might seem intimidating at first to get used to clip in pedals but it really isn't that bad. The first time I wore mine I fell over at a stop sign because I forgot to unclip, that is the only issue I have ever had in 2 1/2 years with clip in pedals. I will never go back! Transitions are so much better as well with clip ins. I have used Crankbrothers pedals because I got a super sweet deal like $30 online. I have had 0 issues with them since I bought them. I ride Specialized Sport Road shoes, which aren't amazing but once again you can't argue with cheap when your a poor college student

For my workout today I did a 40 mile ride with lots of climbing and practiced my transition to the run coming right off the bike. I ran a 6:30 first mile and then walked back home for a cool down. Felt great and I am feeling super excited for my race tomorrow. Good luck to everyone with training.

2011-05-14 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3499194

User image

Master
South Alabama
Matt-thanks. Tough workout for the day before a race.  Good luck tomorrow-tear it up!

Pedals: I use Shimano Ultegra. That is the "SPD" style like other Shimano models. It is what I started withe 2 years ago and have seen no reason to change.  Clipping out really becomes second nature after a ride or two.  Clip in pedals are so much more efficient in transfering power....probably one of the "best bang for the buck" bike upgrades you can make.  I have some basic Specialized cheap bike shoes for training and some LG Tri shoes for races.  Tri shoes will typically have only one strap or a more simplified closure system to make it easier/quicker to use during a race.  

Randy
2011-05-15 5:00 AM

User image

New user

Congrats on the triathlon! Your cycling speed was fantastic and even more impressive considering the 2-3 min stop.

I have read a few posts with people getting down about missing/doing less training in a week? When this happens to me I just make sure the training sessions I do make are high intensity and often my body thanks me for giving it a rest and next session I just feel stronger...

Talking about pedals agaib, I read an article on chainreaction.com that said "Toe clips & straps are still the norm for nearly all bikes between $350 and $1000. They're very inexpensive and don't require the use of a special shoe. But when used with conventional shoes, they tend to focus pedal forces onto a small part of the bottom of your foot, creating fatigue & pain on longer rides as your foot tries to bend itself around the pedal. Also, if the straps are not loosened as you come to a stop... Of course, you can always leave the straps loose, but then your feet don't stay in place without conscious effort to keep them on the pedals. And if you've tightened them down, you need to reach down and loosen them prior to stopping (a somewhat risky operation)."

James

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56