BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-06-01 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3527930

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED
DaveL - 2011-06-01 2:00 PM

Practice race questions.

Flipped the calendar over to June today and I see my first ever Triathlon is 3.5 weeks away. Hurray.

My next swim session calls for a 2500m continuous swim which is great because the triathlon swim is 2000m. For the bike its 55km and the run is 13km. I would like to practice the bike/run brick each weekend before the race. Good idea? I am thinking it will allow me to sort out nutrition and just get used to the distances. I also would really like to get a few open water swims in before the actual race. Does it make sense to actually "do" the race before the race or are the brick workouts enough without adding the swim as well.

As a first race I know it might be a little much but its in the same area as my fall HIM so I figured it would be a good "practice race". My goals are to put in a solid effort, finish and use it as a learning experience for the HIM.

I think you can do as many as 1 open water swim a week without really messing up your training. The purpose of the open water swim is to get comfortable in the wetsuit and in the open water and to work on your sighting while swimming so that you can swim straight during the race. I think that lap swimming is probably better to work on form and endurance and drills.

I really think one practice brick of the actual race distance would be enough. Lots of people don't do bricks and lots of people are of the firm belief that they contribute nothing of value to your preparation in terms of physical ability, it is more of a mental confidence thing.

Over distance biking is a very good idea as it gives you better biking fitness so your run does not suffer so much. I get you wanting to figure out nutrition on the bike so you don't want to suffer so much on the run and have to take a quick detour into the bushes to take care of business but that is a trial and error thing that will take more than 3 weeks to iron out completely and can always pop back off. A short 20 min run off the bike would be good, I think, to feel the pain in your abs and back and sometimes your GI track that appear when running after a long bike ride.

Frankly, you are in pretty good shape for a guy doing his first HIM. Doing over distance runs is insane, so few people get to the point, even in HM training, were they go over 13.1 in training.

In my opinion the best workout to get you psychologically ready for an HIM or IM is the triple brick.

Ride (40k Run 10k) X 3. In your case, it is a bit much in terms of volume but certainly nothing you couldn't handle if you wanted to give it a try. It hurts more than an IM. It is more mentally draining than an IM. But the recovery is relatively quick, well very quick.

Hope that assists.

2011-06-01 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
yes very helpful, thanks. I want to knock out some of the brick sessions for the same reason as why I do overdistance runs, just to "know" that I can do it. For me the mental game is a big one. Furthest run has been 30km but I havent done that in a while.
2011-06-01 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3528009

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH - 2011-06-01 3:42 PM

In my opinion the best workout to get you psychologically ready for an HIM or IM is the triple brick.

Ride (40k Run 10k) X 3. In your case, it is a bit much in terms of volume but certainly nothing you couldn't handle if you wanted to give it a try. It hurts more than an IM. It is more mentally draining than an IM. But the recovery is relatively quick, well very quick. Hope that assists.

Darren - that triple brick sounds freaking insane.  No thanks! 

2011-06-01 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3528100

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-06-01 3:46 PM

BigDH - 2011-06-01 3:42 PM

Ride (40k Run 10k) X 3. In your case, it is a bit much in terms of volume but certainly nothing you couldn't handle if you wanted to give it a try. It hurts more than an IM. It is more mentally draining than an IM. But the recovery is relatively quick, well very quick. Hope that assists.

Darren - that triple brick sounds freaking insane.  No thanks! 

Ha, I know...I mean, a 30k run for IM training is big, that is semi-serious training, lots of people do the IM without that type of a run workout. The 120k on the bike, well that is par for the course and you should be doing at least that on the weekend as you go through the peak in your training. Some people even do bricks like that with a longer bike segment. The thing about running 30k is the recovery you need is significant, but, running 30k and breaking it up with 40k bike rides, well, the recovery is a little easier, seriously. There are a couple of fast guys who like doing it but most people think it is just stupid. The reason that I like it is that it sucks so friggin bad to get back on your bike again and again after running. Your hurts so much. The chaffing you get from the workout is horrible if you aren't lubed up right and you get to really figure out what you can handle on the run as far as nutrition goes, getting on and off the bike messes up your GI track to such an insane degree. It is such a miserable experience and messes with your head in ways that an IM will do, actually worse.
2011-06-01 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY

Edited by benjaminjacobso 2011-06-01 6:54 PM
2011-06-01 8:41 PM

User image

Regular

Alright, I am in full fledged pre-race freak out mode.  (By the way, my logs aren't up to date, as I need to find my garmin cord).  Seriously, I do this every time to some degree and to a large degree for new distances.  I am doing my first triathlon on Saturday.

Can I even do this?  Am I crazy?  Will I actually be able to bike and run after swimming?  What if I drown on the swim?  (Okay, not too likely given it's a pool swim).  What if my bike breaks down?  Or I forget something vitally important.

I think it would just be easier to focus on my son's triathlon, and ignore mine.

2011-06-02 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3528321

_Deb_ - 2011-06-02 2:41 AM

Alright, I am in full fledged pre-race freak out mode.  (By the way, my logs aren't up to date, as I need to find my garmin cord).  Seriously, I do this every time to some degree and to a large degree for new distances.  I am doing my first triathlon on Saturday.

Can I even do this?  Am I crazy?  Will I actually be able to bike and run after swimming?  What if I drown on the swim?  (Okay, not too likely given it's a pool swim).  What if my bike breaks down?  Or I forget something vitally important.

I think it would just be easier to focus on my son's triathlon, and ignore mine.

Not meaning to sound rude, but get a grip!!

You always sound so prepared for training on the forum and during your planning of sessions. Surely its the same now (if you werent panicking!!)

As this is your first triathlon then of course you want to do well, however it isnt the end of the world!!  If things go a bit wrong, then assess an turn it into an extra group training session.  You seem like you are willing to put the effort in and work towards your goal, thats what your doing, however the first race goes!!

You will probably need to remind me of this before my first race!!!!

All the best though, Mark

2011-06-02 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3528321

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
_Deb_ - 2011-06-01 8:41 PM

Can I even do this?   

Yes - you are very prepared at this point. 

Am I crazy? 

We all are!

Will I actually be able to bike and run after swimming? 

YES

What if I drown on the swim?  (Okay, not too likely given it's a pool swim). 

You won't!

What if my bike breaks down? 

It won't and if it does you fix it or if you can't - you don't.  Not much you can do about this. 

Or I forget something vitally important.

Make a pre-race gear checklist (I already made my checklist for my race at the end of June). 

Good luck in your race!  You'll do awesome!

2011-06-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3528641

User image

Veteran

Deb:
I get where you're coming from.  I did my first indoor tri 5 years ago - or should say I trained for it but got myself so worried that I got sick and could not compete.

....mellow out....have backups (Extra goggles?  Spare shoe lace? etc.) Arrive early. 

When your heat info is out, hopefully your heat is not first, so you can watch other heats and get a sense of the flow of the thing.  In retrospect, I wish I had volunteered at some Tri's before entering - just to really see how it all works.

Rest assured, the folks that are running the show want you to have FUN! 

My fear was that I would finish last.  In fact, that is still my big fear - public humiliation at how painfully slow I am at everything. Swim, bike, run, transition - I am slow. But Tri'ing is fun.  The pure joy of finishing is the unbeatable!

2011-06-02 12:18 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Deb, good to hear you are alive . You will do fine. I think the problem with doing a tri the first time is you have no idea what it will be like. And most people don't. It is a somewhat unique and fringe experience that is completely contrived and is difficult to relate to anything else (except perhaps a dualthlon or an adventure race). It is the fear of the unknown that messes with me. Or not really fear but just plain darn ignorance and a feeling that you are in the dark. After you do one you will see that it really is so simple. Just like running a 10k, one foot in front of the other, except in this case there are other little steps.

In some respects I think that jumping out of an airplane for the first time would cause less apprehension. I mean I would never do it, the idea of doing it freaks me out, but I can very clearly imagine what needs to be done to do it. Put on backpack, Jump (I think the cord pulls itself), my point is there is no unknown as to the process.

Anyways, the process of a triathlon has many steps and until you do it a couple times you cannot hold it all in your head at the same time and it drives people batty. So on race day, you just take each step as it comes, prep, swim, t1, bike, t2, run, beer. Follow a race checklist to make sure you have everything that you will need. If there is a practice transition day go do that if you can. As long as you got all your equipment things will turn out just fine. The flat tire thing, well, that is my fear too, but it has happened to me and it was not the end of the world, just be sure to pack a spare and a pump.

2011-06-02 4:45 PM

User image

Regular

Alright, feeling a little more balanced now.  I'll be fine, and I probably will focus on my son beforehand which will keep me from freaking out.  He's doing the kids' race at 11:40.  My heat is at 2:15.  I'm sure I'll be passed, but I won't be DFL, since there's heats starting until 4:20.  I doubt I'll take that long...

Got our bikes checked today.  Pretty straight forward, and I knew my bike was in good shape, so no worries there.

Lost my normal goggles this week.  I must have left them at the pool last time I swam because they weren't in my swim bag.  I had to use my crappy back up goggles, and they leak even more then I remember.  The only good thing is that they were needing to be replaced soon anyways, and I already have a new pair that are the same ones.  Just need to test them at the pool to be sure they're good.

2011-06-02 9:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Deb, how old is your son, what are the details of his race.
2011-06-03 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3529773

_Deb_ - 2011-06-02 10:45 PM

Alright, feeling a little more balanced now.  I'll be fine, and I probably will focus on my son beforehand which will keep me from freaking out.  He's doing the kids' race at 11:40.  My heat is at 2:15.  I'm sure I'll be passed, but I won't be DFL, since there's heats starting until 4:20.  I doubt I'll take that long...

Got our bikes checked today.  Pretty straight forward, and I knew my bike was in good shape, so no worries there.

Lost my normal goggles this week.  I must have left them at the pool last time I swam because they weren't in my swim bag.  I had to use my crappy back up goggles, and they leak even more then I remember.  The only good thing is that they were needing to be replaced soon anyways, and I already have a new pair that are the same ones.  Just need to test them at the pool to be sure they're good.

Thats better!!  Good luck to you and your son.  Enjoy it!!

2011-06-03 5:49 AM

I went to tri club again last night.

The slow runners had all sloped off, so was a lot quicker pace.  There was occasional stops for one guy, but the 5 mile run was approx 4 mins faster than normal.  It was quite nice!!

The swim was also alot harder session, this was really good.  feeling tired today, but will be going for a gentle jog at lunch time.

The half marathon is fully subscribed, you can normally pay on the day.  So will look for another race.  I feel like doing a 10k to test my pacing.

Cheers,
Mark

2011-06-03 6:21 AM
in reply to: #3530093

User image

Regular

BigDH - 2011-06-02 8:36 PM Deb, how old is your son, what are the details of his race.

He turned 4 in March.  We're both doing the Tinman triathlon in Vulcan.  His is the "tinbit" version.  It's super short, so hopefully lots of fun for him.  25 metre swim, 800 metre bike, and 250 metre run.  He is super excited and keeps telling me he wants to go do his triathlon right now.

My daughter is 2.5.  My biggest concern is whether she will be okay cheering for him but not participating.  She isn't very good at pedaling yet, even on her trike, so putting her in wasn't really an option.  Maybe next year she can do it too.

2011-06-03 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

That sounds really good Deb, I bet you will be so full of pride that your race will go really well.

2011-06-03 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3530297

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
_Deb_ - 2011-06-03 6:21 AM

He turned 4 in March.  We're both doing the Tinman triathlon in Vulcan.  His is the "tinbit" version.  It's super short, so hopefully lots of fun for him.  25 metre swim, 800 metre bike, and 250 metre run.  He is super excited and keeps telling me he wants to go do his triathlon right now.

My daughter is 2.5.  My biggest concern is whether she will be okay cheering for him but not participating.  She isn't very good at pedaling yet, even on her trike, so putting her in wasn't really an option.  Maybe next year she can do it too.

That's so cool on so many levels!  25 meters of swimming is a long way for a 4 year old.  It's very cool that you are getting him involved so early on. 

2011-06-03 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Weekend plans

Saturday - Mtb with my son for an hour or two. Probably run a half after dinner

Sunday - Kayaking AM, short brick session 45min bike 15min run

Monday - bike to work 80km 2.5hrs, bike home 80km 2.5hrs.

2011-06-03 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3530644

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-06-03 8:09 AM

_Deb_ - 2011-06-03 6:21 AM

That's so cool on so many levels!  25 meters of swimming is a long way for a 4 year old.  It's very cool that you are getting him involved so early on. 

I agree, that is wild, for a 4 year old, wow. Good for you guys.
2011-06-03 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3530644

User image

Champion
Calgary
db

Edited by BigDH 2011-06-03 9:10 PM
2011-06-03 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3531920

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-06-03 7:59 PM

Weekend plans

Saturday - Mtb with my son for an hour or two. Probably run a half after dinner

Sunday - Kayaking AM, short brick session 45min bike 15min run

Monday - bike to work 80km 2.5hrs, bike home 80km 2.5hrs.

I'm thinking Dave, what you want to do is go for a quick 10k run at lunch on Monday, you know, make a real workout of it. Ha.

2011-06-04 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Well - I had an awesome birthday.  Dragged both kids and my bride out white water rafting.  Back to training Tomorrow.
2011-06-05 9:17 AM

User image

Regular

I am back!  Had a great race yesterday.  I let nerves get the better of for half a week prior, but come yesterday morning, I was actually doing pretty well and managed to keep it better.

I haven't done my full race report yet, but here's the quick version:

The tinbits race:

Unfortunately, it was pretty chilly in the morning when the kids did their race.  I had Sebastian wrapped in a towel until just before he went in the water.  He loved the swim!  The did it in age groups.  Even though he's only just turned 4, he is really tall, so he looked huge next to all the other ones.  He also pretty much led the swim across the pool.  I thought he was making friends with the kid, in a red swimsuit, next to him, but when he got out he told me "I beat the red boy in the pool".  Um, need to remind him that he's supposed to be concentrating on having fun still?  Competitive already?

After getting out of the pool, he was cold.  It was less then 10c (50f).  It's one thing to expect adults to htfu, but I wish he had gotten warmer weather.  I got him dressed and put a jacket on him.  In hindsight, I wish I had put pants on over his swimsuit too.  To be honest, I don't think he enjoyed the bike that much (although, afterwards he said he loved every part).  He was nervous riding on the road (usually rides on sidewalks), and wanted me to have my hand on his back the whole way.  I was walking, and usually I have to at least jog to keep up with him.  He finished it though!

The run he had a great time with, and he went fast!  (For a 4 year old.)  He ran an average pace of 6:40/km and had a top speed of 4:40/km!  (Yes, I know, I timed him, but I'm not even telling him the time; it's just so I can brag...)  You couldn't wipe the smile off his face during the run, and he totally forgot he was cold.

Then he got a medal.  Really, I think that was his favourite part.

My race: It was great!  I felt good throughout.  If anything, I think I could have pushed myself a lot more on the bike and a little more on the swim.  I was worried about running out of energy though.  I killed the run.  I did it in 27:36.  My previous personal best on a stand alone 5k was 29:58, and that was on a short course.  I had no idea I could run that fast, maintain it for any distance, and do it at the end of a triathlon too.

While I said that I could have pushed more, I have no regrets about the race.  I learned a few things, and will do them differently next time, but I had a great first triathlon. 

I was going to do the full race report later, but I might just have time to go and do it now.  If so, I'll let you guys know. 

2011-06-05 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak

Deb, congrats to you and your son on your triathlons yesterday.

Yesterday I went out for a bike ride.  I was going to do a couple loops of my 8.75 mile course and about 2 miles into my second loop I felt the bike getting a little squirly on a couple turns.  1st thing in my mind is I have a flat, so I stop and check it out, sure enough my back tire is starting to get soft.  I turn around and ride back towards home, made it about another mile before I felt like i was starting to hit the rim.  Then I took off my shoes and helmet and walked about a mile home in bare feet.  I don't normally ride with a spare tube (maybe I should), since I normally take my phone and if I have any issues I call back to home base for a support vehicle to come and get me.   The bad thing about it was I was really killing my ride when it happened so I'm sorry I didn't get to finish it out.  I did go out and buy some new tough tires (mine are originals and really starting to get worn down) and a couple more spare tubes, so hopefully I won't have any more issues.  I might also look into getting one of those co2 fix a flat cartridges to take on a ride for occasions like this.

Today looks like a run and swim day.

Edited by nick_318is 2011-06-05 10:49 AM
2011-06-05 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

awesome job Deb and son! sounds like a really fun day. congrats on the killer run.

Nick - yes get a c02 inflation they are great plus it will give you practice (should you need it) for if you get a flat on a race day.

My son and I went out for a run in the morning and we put in just over 3.5km. We then went home he grabbed his bike and we went back out with me running for another 15km. Unfortunately I have developed a bit of a blister on my heal so it looks like running is on hold for a few days.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21