BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-07-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #3579900

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED
bad91 - 2011-07-04 11:12 AM

Thx for the good luck!  I did well...i broke 24 minutes.  I did 23:56...so i was under 8 min miles.  I was pretty happy with the outcome.  Not bad for an old big guy!!!    

Happy 4th everyone! 

Congrats on an awesome time!

2011-07-07 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Payson, AZ
So which takes more energy to swim in?  Cold water or hot water?  Pools here are very hot and I feel like I am swimming uphill both ways.  I know your body uses extra calories when swimming in cold water due to trying to stay warm but if it is extra hot are you using extra energy?  It feels like I am.  One thing I did learn today is that you can only zone out so much while swimming though.  Those walls come up quicker then you realize sometimes.
2011-07-08 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3585499

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bzgl40 - 2011-07-07 4:17 PMSo which takes more energy to swim in?  Cold water or hot water?  Pools here are very hot and I feel like I am swimming uphill both ways.  I know your body uses extra calories when swimming in cold water due to trying to stay warm but if it is extra hot are you using extra energy?  It feels like I am.  One thing I did learn today is that you can only zone out so much while swimming though.  Those walls come up quicker then you realize sometimes.
I don't know which one takes more energy, but I am more comfortable during the swim with it cooler. I just finished a lake swim this morning, and towards the end it was hot with my wetsuit on, I didn't feel as fast as the beginning. No walls there, but watch out for the bouy ropes!

Edited by hoots 2011-07-08 8:02 AM
2011-07-09 7:32 PM

Hi Guys!

Hope everyone is staying cool this summer! I finally mustered up the 'courage' to get clipless pedals, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for a newbie on clipless pedals? I spent a good hour today trying to get it into the right configuration, and it seems close enough but only time will tell on longer rides. Other than my fear of falling in the street and getting hit by a car, I don't really know what else to look out for? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jennifer
2011-07-10 7:03 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

My advice for getting comfortable with clipless probably won't help you much.  I went mountain biking on a technical course.  I got really good at getting in and out of the pedals that day.

If you have a good sense of balance and don't freak out easily you'll be fine.  I don't really subscribe to that concept that it's only a matter of time that you will fall cause of clipless.  Sure it is possible but it is not a foregone conclusion.  Until you get comfortable with them keep your tension easy on them.  When coming to a stop don't wait until the last minute to unclip.  When I am at a light or something waiting to go I actually keep one foot clipped in.  I typically only ever unclip one.  So I am always ready to go.  I have the foot up at the top of the pedal stroke so that when the light changes I just start the pedal stroke as I get up and on my seat and then I try and clip in.  If I don't get it no biggy, I might try again if there is not a lot of traffic or I might just single leg pedal through the intersection.  This is much easier if you shift into an easy gear as you come to your stop.

Also, practice balancing on your bike (track stand but you don't necessarily have to do a track stand).  This allows me to clip both feet in as the light is about to change and I can take off quicker when it finally does.  I find that helps in heavy traffic areas.  But you want to be super comfortable doing that.  Also, because I can do that I actually don't unclip all the time when coming to lights.  If I think it will change shortly I stay clipped in.

There will always be times when you'll have to make unplanned sudden stops.  That's where the calm mind comes in. 

2011-07-10 6:27 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I paid for my lack of consistent training today. 1500 meter swim in 39:19, T1 3:29, 42 km bike 1:24:06, T2 1:27, 10 k run 1:01:29. Total time 3:09:44. I decided to add this race to test myself for the HIM in August. I need to continue to work on OWS, specifically sighting. The bike on this one had a hill with 15% grade for 2/3 of a mile. I did OK on that part and just kept grinding. On the run, I have to push myself harder on the last few miles, I didn't leave it all out there.

2011-07-10 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3588752

Hi! Thanks so much for your advice and suggestions! That definitely makes me feel a little better that the myth of 'you'll fall eventually' could be avoided; I think that is my greatest fear. I'll definitely try to be calm as I can be, and practice the track stand!
2011-07-11 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3589397

User image

Los Angeles

hoots - 2011-07-10 4:27 PM I paid for my lack of consistent training today. 1500 meter swim in 39:19, T1 3:29, 42 km bike 1:24:06, T2 1:27, 10 k run 1:01:29. Total time 3:09:44. I decided to add this race to test myself for the HIM in August. I need to continue to work on OWS, specifically sighting. The bike on this one had a hill with 15% grade for 2/3 of a mile. I did OK on that part and just kept grinding. On the run, I have to push myself harder on the last few miles, I didn't leave it all out there.

Very nice!

User image

Los Angeles

hoots - 2011-07-10 4:27 PM I paid for my lack of consistent training today. 1500 meter swim in 39:19, T1 3:29, 42 km bike 1:24:06, T2 1:27, 10 k run 1:01:29. Total time 3:09:44. I decided to add this race to test myself for the HIM in August. I need to continue to work on OWS, specifically sighting. The bike on this one had a hill with 15% grade for 2/3 of a mile. I did OK on that part and just kept grinding. On the run, I have to push myself harder on the last few miles, I didn't leave it all out there.

Very nice!

User image

Los Angeles

Very nice!

2011-07-11 11:50 AM

User image

Los Angeles

Sorry folks, i have no idea what happen with my repetiveness....so i apologize.

This past week, I got my wetsuit (2XU V:2). OMG!!, that thing is great.  I can still in the water and not do a thing and float.  I feel like i am gliding when i swim for once in my life.   Also, i did a decent job of getting it on and off.   So i am a happy guy!   I have my first tri of the summer at the end of the month in Goleta!

Hope everyone is doing well and training hard!

2011-07-11 2:42 PM

User image

Hey guys, back from my frolick in the moutains.  Pulled my calf the day before we left so didn't get any running in, but got some hiking in, including 5 miles one day, lots of hiking down into then out of a river gorge for fishing, got two mountain bike rides in (not very technical, I am a wimp on the MTB), and no swimming.  But came back with a healed calf and 12 caught trout (well, caught and released).  And lots of napping. 

Actually got back friday but been off the computer pretty much.  Since i am not at work LOL

Did my first non-wetsuit Pacific swim yesterday, 1.5 miles and the water is pretty warm.  was a bit bumpy, then ran 5 miles in the evening, so I feel better about alcatraz this weekend.  I am really there more as a tourist than a competitor 

Hope everyone's week is starting out well.  Mondays after vacations suck

2011-07-11 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3588471

User image

irony416 - 2011-07-09 5:32 PM Hi Guys! Hope everyone is staying cool this summer! I finally mustered up the 'courage' to get clipless pedals, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for a newbie on clipless pedals? I spent a good hour today trying to get it into the right configuration, and it seems close enough but only time will tell on longer rides. Other than my fear of falling in the street and getting hit by a car, I don't really know what else to look out for? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jennifer

Go to your local park, and ride around on the grass.  Clip in and out both feet LOTS, just get used to it.  Go ahead and fall down even, it won't hurt    Like Kim said, just anticipate coming to intersections, unclip well before, and if you don't have to stop, just clip back in.  I usually just unclip the left, keeping the right in.  Honestly, I might fall if I swapped that

You might fall eventually, you may not, but I know for me I fell after I got used to them, I just forgot was I clipped in one day and came to a stop and, well.....  Also, make sure you are leaning in the direction of the foot you unclipped    Don't ask me how I know.

2011-07-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3585499

User image

bzgl40 - 2011-07-07 3:17 PM So which takes more energy to swim in?  Cold water or hot water?  Pools here are very hot and I feel like I am swimming uphill both ways.  I know your body uses extra calories when swimming in cold water due to trying to stay warm but if it is extra hot are you using extra energy?  It feels like I am.  One thing I did learn today is that you can only zone out so much while swimming though.  Those walls come up quicker then you realize sometimes.

Warm water is horrible.  I find it much more difficult.  If the water is a little chilly getting in, I find that to be perfect in the long run.  Watch your head 

2011-07-13 4:19 PM

User image

Got back into it this week after last week's vacation.... and boy does it suck.  I am tired and sore, and I haven't even gone that hard.  Ran 5 on Sunday and 4 this morning, my quads and groin muscles are sore!!!!  Haven't been sore from training in a long time.  Very weird feeling.  Last night's swim workout really took it out of me too.  Was going to train right thru the Alcatraz Challenge this weekend but now maybe not....
2011-07-13 11:06 PM

User image

Los Angeles
I hear you Chris.  I am in a training groove and feel great.  I dont want to stop because I am doing well training wise....BUT i do know the importance of rest.  I have 2 weeks before Goleta so one more build week and then taper

2011-07-14 1:13 PM

User image

Sometimes it's very hard to balance rest and training...   Especially if the training is a bit spotty at times.  Really need to come back smartly, and I don't always do that     Also made more difficult if you are "training through" races, as I have been doing.  Nothing really an A race until late August.  Still want to get some volume in, but rest before a race is nice sometimes.

Left work about 4 yesterday, got home around 4:45, laid on the couch.  Didn't think I slept until I was woken up at near 7 by my wife calling and asking what was for dinner.  Guess I did sleep.  Feel MUCH better today, but still going to take it easy on swim tonight, maybe 2K yards, then a short easy 2 mile on the treadmill. 

2011-07-16 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

I HATE to rest!!!  I like high and low intensity days instead.  Low intensity days are more like active rest.  Although occassionally I have to take an actual Rest day. 

Started swimming again.  YAY for me.  Got up this AM at 5 and went right to Walden Pond and swam the 1/2 mile across and back.  Then I started swimming the other way. Didn't get too far.  1.1 mile total I have to take a lot of little rests.  But I know if I keep at it, I can just keep going and going and going!

My sprint is in 3 weeks.  I am doing this as a relay with the hubby and a friend.  Going to NH next week to ride the course with the hubby.  Give him a little confidence.  Its an off road bike,  lots of logs and rocks.  The trail is wide at least...oh yeah its uphill too.  THis will be his first race ever. 

Good luck tio all those racing this weekend.

2011-07-16 11:50 AM

User image

Payson, AZ

Speaking of swimming....ugh.  I got my partner to video tape me this morning and I am doing even worse then I thought.  The video from the side clearly shows me pretty much entering with my elbow first instead of my hands.  And from the front you can clearly see my hands (both to make sure I am extra slow) crossing the center line.

Anyone got some good drills to correct those two problems?  I didn't think I was crossing the center line at all.  So what clues can I look for as I swim to prevent that?

2011-07-16 3:39 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I had a short duathlon this morning, it went well! It was 2.5 mile run, 15.5 mile bike, and another 2.5 mile run. I am waiting for the official results to be posted, but my total time was 1 hour 30 minutes, and I don't remember the seconds. According to my bike computer, I averaged 20 mph or better on the bike. More details once the results are up, but the runs were good, too!
2011-07-17 11:53 PM
in reply to: #3599636

User image

hoots - 2011-07-16 1:39 PM I had a short duathlon this morning, it went well! It was 2.5 mile run, 15.5 mile bike, and another 2.5 mile run. I am waiting for the official results to be posted, but my total time was 1 hour 30 minutes, and I don't remember the seconds. According to my bike computer, I averaged 20 mph or better on the bike. More details once the results are up, but the runs were good, too!

Congrats!  Well done

Back from Alcatraz.   A whirlwind trip, LA to SF Sat, race this morning, back this afternoon.  Fun race!  Swim was good, heavy fog in the a..m. caused a drop closer to shore than usual,but during the swim the fog cleared, and the GG Bridge was all lit up as we swam towards it.  And the views from the bridge were absolutely spectacular.  A bit disappointed in the run pace, but it's a bit of a bear of a run, lots of up on the out section.  Good weekend though

2011-07-18 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3566305

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ChrisM - 2011-06-24 5:03 PM

I am not trying to be critical of your involvement.  In fact, I appreciate all the tips you, and others, have shared.  The improvement in my swimming alone has made this worthwhile.  I am usually the lurker on message boards, so I wanted to encourage the others to post.

No worries, didn't take it that way, just wanted to open the floor up for people to chime in if they had ideas. 

[/QUOTE

I lurk in here at times. It's not real active. Sorry if I seem a 'dropout'. I did my first Tri on the 4th of July and had a surprisingly great experience! Since then I've not missed many team workouts and have even hired a running coach. Guess I'm hooked.

Edited by stephsprint 2011-07-18 6:17 AM
2011-07-18 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3599372

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Seren - 2011-07-16 10:25 AM

I HATE to rest!!!  I like high and low intensity days instead.  Low intensity days are more like active rest.  Although occassionally I have to take an actual Rest day. 

Started swimming again.  YAY for me.  Got up this AM at 5 and went right to Walden Pond and swam the 1/2 mile across and back.  Then I started swimming the other way. Didn't get too far.  1.1 mile total I have to take a lot of little rests.  But I know if I keep at it, I can just keep going and going and going!

My sprint is in 3 weeks.  I am doing this as a relay with the hubby and a friend.  Going to NH next week to ride the course with the hubby.  Give him a little confidence.  Its an off road bike,  lots of logs and rocks.  The trail is wide at least...oh yeah its uphill too.  THis will be his first race ever. 

Good luck tio all those racing this weekend.

Very nice!! I love an early morning swim.
2011-07-18 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3588471

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
irony416 - 2011-07-09 8:32 PM

Hi Guys!

Hope everyone is staying cool this summer! I finally mustered up the 'courage' to get clipless pedals, and I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips for a newbie on clipless pedals? I spent a good hour today trying to get it into the right configuration, and it seems close enough but only time will tell on longer rides. Other than my fear of falling in the street and getting hit by a car, I don't really know what else to look out for? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jennifer

Well... I fell again last Thursday... that's 3 in just a couple months. Usually happens when I come to a stop still clipped in and desperately try to unclip. Just go with it when you fall... if you struggle it's much worse.

If there is a stretch where you can practice clipping in and out and stopping, just go do it a zillion times. You can also hang onto a fence or tree or something and practice getting a foot out... whichever one you're most likely to use to balance at a stop light or sign. As someone else said, get a foot out BEFORE you get to the stop. And hey, everybody does it... some of us just do it more than others. I'm usually just not thinking... at end of ride, tired etc. Good Luck!

BTW I am also changing mine to LOOK pedals on the advice of several riders. Easier they say, to get in and out of.
2011-07-18 10:15 AM

User image

Los Angeles

Chris and Hoots good job at your races.

Seren, i love rest too and I finally getting a day today.

Steph keep at the pedals, you will laugh a few years from now, when you arent falling anymore.

I have a swim question...  are there any kicking drills to improve your full leg kick?.  I apparently dont use my whole leg from the hip to kick...i guess i only use from the knee down.   

Have a nice week

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20