BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2012-01-04 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3970747

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
Wrkinprogress - great job on the brick.

2012-01-04 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

New user
KY

Thanks you all for the advice about wetsuits.  This group is great, because when you research a question online you get so much conflicting information.  Listening to real people involved in triathlons is just so much better, isn't it?!

Anyway, I have another newbie question about inspires.  When I get an inspire, I hit "reply in their blog," and it takes me to their training log page.  I then hit "inspire," but I don't see their post to me quoted.  Does it just not show up or am I doing it wrong?  Thanks

2012-01-04 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3971419

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
erinrockrun - 2012-01-04 6:04 PM

Anyway, I have another newbie question about inspires.  When I get an inspire, I hit "reply in their blog," and it takes me to their training log page.  I then hit "inspire," but I don't see their post to me quoted.  Does it just not show up or am I doing it wrong?  Thanks

What browser are you using?  I know in Chrome, the inspire will open up another window, in addition to opening up their training log page in another tab.  I suspect many of the other browsers will be similar.

2012-01-04 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3971419

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Erin, my guess is the inspire window is UNDER the blog of the person you are wanting to reply to. Try closing the blog and see if it's there. Also, it won't show up in their blog unless you update the page.
2012-01-04 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3969439

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
TTucker - 2012-01-03 8:33 PM

Okay, so there were too many things/people to respond to so I won't remember who said what....

Ditto!

Despite my conviction that a new bike won't make you a much better/faster racer, I have to admit being a teensy bit jealous of the new wheels some of you are sporting! And I'm totally jealous of the wetsuit. 

Thanks for the info on the beats/minute. I am currently working on improving my running form, which includes upping my cadence to at least 180. 

My minimalist journey... began pretty much right after I started training last winter for my first tri. As I began running in traditional running shoes, I started getting what I called crunchy knees (turns out it's really called runner's knee). So, I began researching on line (I'm a total nerd, it's what I do) and learned all about minimalist running. As a science buff, it all made perfect sense, so I transitioned to Nike Free 3.0s, then to the Merrell Trail Glove and in the process, my knee pain magically disappeared. HOWEVER, I developed a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. As I am getting back into training and looking to increase my distance this year, I needed to get some help. This past weekend, I went to my local running store (Fleet Feet) where they assess your knees, foot, gait and running form and make recommendations based on their observations. Went in wearing my Frees and the guy told me that I should only use those for my short/speed workouts to keep my feet strong. I ended up getting a pair of neutral shoes (Nike Pegasus) and a pair of inserts to correct my mild over-pronation. Yes, this is a complete 180 from the minimalist concept, but holy crap what a difference. I was able to sleep without my foot brace last night - YAY! And so far, no crunchy knees  

So glad to see everyone off to a great start this year and so thankful to be a part of such a motivated and engaged group! 

2012-01-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3971607

Extreme Veteran

Arquillo - Yay for no crunchy knees and being able to sleep without the brace.

Erin - For me the reply inspire and the training log open in new windows and quotes there you don't need to press inspire separately on the training log - that may be why it isn't quoting as it is then technically a totally new one.

Oh and I'm thinking of buying new shoes and using the current ones as "general duties" shoes (they currently do double duty anyway) so I'll keep you posted on what happens with them.

2012-01-05 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3971661

User image

Expert
Falls Church
suzielea - 2012-01-04 7:42 PM

Oh and I'm thinking of buying new shoes and using the current ones as "general duties" shoes (they currently do double duty anyway) so I'll keep you posted on what happens with them.

I really like my Brooks Adrenaline GTS.  Might give them a look.

2012-01-05 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3971607

User image

Expert
Falls Church
arquillo - 2012-01-04 7:08 PM
TTucker - 2012-01-03 8:33 PM

Okay, so there were too many things/people to respond to so I won't remember who said what....

My minimalist journey... began pretty much right after I started training last winter for my first tri. As I began running in traditional running shoes, I started getting what I called crunchy knees (turns out it's really called runner's knee). So, I began researching on line (I'm a total nerd, it's what I do) and learned all about minimalist running. As a science buff, it all made perfect sense, so I transitioned to Nike Free 3.0s, then to the Merrell Trail Glove and in the process, my knee pain magically disappeared. HOWEVER, I developed a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. As I am getting back into training and looking to increase my distance this year, I needed to get some help. This past weekend, I went to my local running store (Fleet Feet) where they assess your knees, foot, gait and running form and make recommendations based on their observations. Went in wearing my Frees and the guy told me that I should only use those for my short/speed workouts to keep my feet strong. I ended up getting a pair of neutral shoes (Nike Pegasus) and a pair of inserts to correct my mild over-pronation. Yes, this is a complete 180 from the minimalist concept, but holy crap what a difference. I was able to sleep without my foot brace last night - YAY! And so far, no crunchy knees  

I had a nasty case of PF too a few years back.  Due to 1) waiting too long to replace shoes; 2) waiting too long to stop running with mild PF; 3) wearing a bad pair of flip flops; and 4) letting my feet get weak by wearing wool felt clogs ALL the time in the house.

Took a visit to podiatrist, orthotics, foot brace, and many months of no running to get over it.

I have since ditched the orthotics, never wear flip flops, go barefoot in the house all the time, and wear the brace too at the slightest feel of PF.

I also wear a pretty neutral shoe - Brooks Adrenaline GTS.

Glad to see that you have your PF under control!

2012-01-05 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3969839

User image

Expert
Falls Church
tstl - 2012-01-04 12:13 AM
peggyf - 2012-01-03 6:53 PM
tstl - 2012-01-02 10:57 PM

Just had to share my new arrival... she was waiting for me when I got home today... my first "real" wetsuit! I started out with a cheapie Farmer John style that I got on clearance because it had a fingernail hole in it, then got another cheapie FS from Team in Training that is very constricting. So, I picked up a groupon for Trisports.com and went wetsuit shopping. Here she is:

I feel like a REAL triathlete now!

I just hope it's easier to get out of when it's wet. I got into it reasonably well, but when it came time to take it off, a suction had formed between my calves and the suit, and I had to call for a wetsuit stripper (my husband)! It took both of us a good 5 minutes to extract my feet!

I've had good luck with putting Body Glide on my legs below the knee.  Seems to help the suit move over the skin.

2012-01-05 7:39 AM

User image

Regular
Anybody using a Garmin 310XT that is unable to upload a training session? BT recognizes the garmin and looks like it uploads the data, but will not upload the the actual session.  I know a bunch of you are using the 305 w/o any problems after BT fixed uploading issues. Let me know if you were able to correct this and more importantly how you fixed. As always-thanks!
2012-01-05 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3972217

User image

Extreme Veteran

joes - 2012-01-05 6:39 AM Anybody using a Garmin 310XT that is unable to upload a training session? BT recognizes the garmin and looks like it uploads the data, but will not upload the the actual session.  I know a bunch of you are using the 305 w/o any problems after BT fixed uploading issues. Let me know if you were able to correct this and more importantly how you fixed. As always-thanks!

I have the 310XT, and it's been working off and on the last couple of weeks. As of yesterday, the new uploader was working for me, but the day before it didn't. I hope they get it fixed, because the old 'import from Garmin' feature on the log no longer works for me either (I'm a Mac). It uses ALL my resources, freezes my computer, and lately, doesn't even get the data!

2012-01-05 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3972213

User image

Extreme Veteran
hoffsquared - 2012-01-05 6:37 AM
tstl - 2012-01-04 12:13 AM
peggyf - 2012-01-03 6:53 PM
tstl - 2012-01-02 10:57 PM

Just had to share my new arrival... she was waiting for me when I got home today... my first "real" wetsuit! I started out with a cheapie Farmer John style that I got on clearance because it had a fingernail hole in it, then got another cheapie FS from Team in Training that is very constricting. So, I picked up a groupon for Trisports.com and went wetsuit shopping. Here she is:

I feel like a REAL triathlete now!

I just hope it's easier to get out of when it's wet. I got into it reasonably well, but when it came time to take it off, a suction had formed between my calves and the suit, and I had to call for a wetsuit stripper (my husband)! It took both of us a good 5 minutes to extract my feet!

I've had good luck with putting Body Glide on my legs below the knee.  Seems to help the suit move over the skin.

Probably the reason for my problem. The return policy was very explicit that you mustn't use lube when trying it on, or they wouldn't take it back. Of course, if I had had to cut it off myself, they wouldn't take it back, either! I MUST remember to grease the calves with this one!

2012-01-05 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

Took the new bike out for a ride yesterday, yes, in the cold.  Layers were adequate, though I clearly need a different set up for my feet, cause my toes were FROZEN!!!

BUT...I felt FAST on the new bike.  Fast wasn't necessarily the case, but I felt faster.  I can accelerate faster now, and my top speeds are faster, I think (hard to push buttons on the computer with gloves on).  I'm still anxious when I turn sharper corners clipped in, so I tend to slow down a good bit.  But that's just a matter of practice...

2012-01-05 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3972845

Extreme Veteran

Yay for being faster Jen. What sort of layers do you do for the bike?

I know I've done tights (pantyhose variety) with socks over the top and then the shoes for general duties - could that work?

2012-01-05 4:34 PM

User image

New user
KY

OK, I really need to share this with all of you.  The other day on the Runner's World website, there was a workout video entitled "Iron Strength."  It is about a 20 minute workout with varying plyometric exercsies and a little strength training.  You can do it all in the comfort of your own home. I decided to give it a go yesterday morning before class.  Here's what happened:

30 seconds into it I was already out of breath and sweating.  The first exercise was 6-8 sets of 15 plyometric squats.  They KILLED me.  I made it through most of the workout.  I didn't have dumbbells, so the few moves that required them I just improvised.

Afterwards, I went to take my dog outside.  I found that my legs could not transport me down the stairs.  And today is worse.  I dread going to the bathroom because it hurts getting up from the toilet!  I don't recall ever being this sore.  

I hope to incorporate this into my workout regime.  It was created by a marathoner/triathlete and I guarantee you will get fantastic results!  Here's a link to the video.  Let me know if you try it:-)

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-266-14177-0,00.html

2012-01-05 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3973520

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
OMG Erin, my butt is sore just watching the first set of pyometric squats!!!!  I HATE being sore!!!!  I can see where it would definitely help though!!!  How do we work being totally sore into our training schedule????  Let us know how long it takes you to recover!!!

2012-01-05 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
erinrockrun - 2012-01-05 4:34 PM

Afterwards, I went to take my dog outside.  I found that my legs could not transport me down the stairs.  And today is worse.  I dread going to the bathroom because it hurts getting up from the toilet!  I don't recall ever being this sore.  

I hope to incorporate this into my workout regime.  It was created by a marathoner/triathlete and I guarantee you will get fantastic results!  Here's a link to the video.  Let me know if you try it:-)

Erin- I don't know if this is a ringing endorsement!  But, good for you!

2012-01-05 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
gnome - 2012-01-05 11:52 AM

BUT...I felt FAST on the new bike.  Fast wasn't necessarily the case, but I felt faster.  I can accelerate faster now, and my top speeds are faster, I think (hard to push buttons on the computer with gloves on).  I'm still anxious when I turn sharper corners clipped in, so I tend to slow down a good bit.  But that's just a matter of practice...

I should probably disclose that I've only been biking for a year, and I spent the first 6 months terrified ever time I biked.  I received a lot of good advice as I worked through this and one of things was to just unclip one foot (should make a difference to your biking) when you encounter something that is making you anxious/causing you to slow down because of it.  So basically when you are taking sharper corners you can unclip one foot, allowing you to relax a little because you know you could more easily get out of a situation, and then be able to take the corners a little faster.  It help me a lot, so just wanted to pass it on it case helps on some level.  

2012-01-05 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3969439

User image

Veteran
Austin
TTucker - 2012-01-03 7:33 PM

Oh yeah and on a neato kind of note....my 16 year old son said that he would like to do a TRI this  year...and wants it to be for a charity!! Pretty cool!! :-)

That's so awesome! Can't wait to hear how it all goes for him!

2012-01-05 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
erinrockrun - 2012-01-05 5:34 PM

haha, no pain no gain, right?!  good luck and keep us posted on how things go!!

2012-01-05 8:47 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
gnome - 2012-01-05 12:52 PM

Took the new bike out for a ride yesterday, yes, in the cold.  Layers were adequate, though I clearly need a different set up for my feet, cause my toes were FROZEN!!!

That would be a dream come true for me -- to feel FAST on the bike!!  That must have felt awesome!! I don't have any good cold weather attire recommendations for cycling b/c I'm a wimp and only ride outside if it's sunny and above 65 (which means I rarely ride outside, I have to fix that!).

2012-01-05 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3973459

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
suzielea - 2012-01-05 5:13 PM

I know I've done tights (pantyhose variety) with socks over the top and then the shoes for general duties - could that work?

My layers were a skull cap and mask for face.  arm warmers, silk thermal layer, then long sleeved running shirt, then nike dry fit jacket, then bike jersey for torso.  short bike shorts, knee warmers (I'm so short they're leg warmers for me!), under armor cold gear tights, and regular shorts for legs.  feet just had regular socks cause i thought i could have used the shoe covers.  

I HATE pantyhose/tights with a vengence.  but I do have some silk liner socks that I use for hiking.  That might work. Thanks for hte idea!

2012-01-05 10:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
erinrockrun - 2012-01-05 4:34 PM

OK, I really need to share this with all of you.  The other day on the Runner's World website, there was a workout video entitled "Iron Strength."  It is about a 20 minute workout with varying plyometric exercsies and a little strength training.  You can do it all in the comfort of your own home. I decided to give it a go yesterday morning before class.  Here's what happened:

30 seconds into it I was already out of breath and sweating.  The first exercise was 6-8 sets of 15 plyometric squats.  They KILLED me.  I made it through most of the workout.  I didn't have dumbbells, so the few moves that required them I just improvised.

Haven't watched it yet but after that I'm scared to,lol. I've found stretching after ST works to stop too much soreness though.

2012-01-05 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3974032

Extreme Veteran
gnome - 2012-01-05 9:16 PM
suzielea - 2012-01-05 5:13 PM

My layers were a skull cap and mask for face.  arm warmers, silk thermal layer, then long sleeved running shirt, then nike dry fit jacket, then bike jersey for torso.  short bike shorts, knee warmers (I'm so short they're leg warmers for me!), under armor cold gear tights, and regular shorts for legs.  feet just had regular socks cause i thought i could have used the shoe covers.  

I HATE pantyhose/tights with a vengence.  but I do have some silk liner socks that I use for hiking.  That might work. Thanks for hte idea!

Jen - glad I could help. Dumb question on the silk - how exactly does it keep you warm?

2012-01-06 3:27 AM

Extreme Veteran

Tried uploading this as my avatar pic but it kept saying the file was too big so you'll have to make do with just having it on the thread:

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61