BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-02-02 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3955221

Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed

I somehow missed the goggles question.

You don't want to know what I do to keep my goggles fog free....  Really you don't want to know.

I use Swedish goggles, very very cheap, but I love them, they fit me perfectly.  But they don't come with any sort of anti fogging agent on them.  So you jump in the pool, then you spit in each lens.  Rub it around really well. Then dunk the goggles into the pool,  pull them up, then dump the water out.  Don't touch them again.  They are ready to go - fog free. 

2012-02-02 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Yep, my great new speedos did the same thing. They were fine for about 2 weeks then poor all this clear gunmen showed up. So now I spit, try not to rub too much, Camden be nice to others by trying to wash them out in the gutter, not the pool.

Personally I think the best thing for hair other than rinsing immediately before and after is a silicone cap.

2012-02-02 9:56 PM
in reply to: #4024936

Fairfax, VA
esc - 2012-02-02 9:05 AM

No Mayo - 2012-02-01 10:13 PM Hope you all are having a great week so far The weather has been unseasonably warm here as well - into the 50s and even a couple of days in the 60s! Crazy. Definitely going to take advantage of it as much as I can. I need some advice on replacing my planned swim training with Ruth Kazez's 0 to 1 mile in 6 weeks. My first race this year is on May 13, so I wanted to know how to properly maintain & taper those distances from week 7 to race day? This week is week 1. Thanks!

You've got a good chunk of time until race day.  The first thing I would do is concentrate on making it through the six week program.  This will build some consistency in your swim training and help you establish a base.  After that you have a couple of option - buy a book that has swim workouts, find workouts online, build your own swim workouts, workout with a masters program.  The cool thing about swimming is that it is low impact.  You can add intensity to every single workout without much risk of injury.  Once you're comfortable with the yardage you can start pushing the tempo.

If you can get through the final week of the 0 to 1650 program than you can easily do workouts in the 2000 to 2500 yd range and you can keep up the volume until a week before the race.  During race week you'll just want to get to the pool a few times and do some short workouts with intensity.  Basically, you're just looking to keep a feel for the water as you head into race day.

What distance is your May race?  Is it an open water swim or a pool swim?

Ok good to know! I keep applying running principles to all other training :B You're right - I should read up.

The race is a sprint w/ 750 m lake swim. When the weather warms up, I'm gonna try to get in as much ows practice as possible.
2012-02-02 10:09 PM
in reply to: #4026499

Fairfax, VA
KatNWater - 2012-02-02 7:57 PM

If you really care about your hair you can do the following to protect it. 

Before you swim:

Wet hair with tap water

Rub in a handful of a leave in conditioner - can be any brand

Put on your swim cap

After a swim:

Rinse hair as soon as possible

Use a good anti-chlorine shampoo and conditioner

Try to limit heat drying and styling.

Now to be honest, I vary rarely do this.  I did spent all summer teaching swim lessons 6 hours a day, outside in my pool, that I kept on the high side of acceptable chlorine levels because I had 4 year olds in my pool all day.Innocent   My hair was completely fried.  It is now in a very very adorable pixie cut - which was the only thing I could do with it.  I have started the leave in conditioner before I swim now.

I saw a woman use the leave-in conditioner under the cap technique. I was like... "What in the world? Is that lotion?" Now it all makes sense.

My hairdresser says to avoid using hot water too; That seems to help some for me.
2012-02-02 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4026791

Middle Tennessee

I saw a woman use the leave-in conditioner under the cap technique. I was like... "What in the world? Is that lotion?" Now it all makes sense. My hairdresser says to avoid using hot water too; That seems to help some for me.

That will so never happen in my world.  hehehee.  A shower = water almost hot enough to boil me.

2012-02-03 9:20 AM

New user

Hi Goonies

Don't get a chance to post much.  But here goes.....

I see some are getting colds right now with the weather constantly changing.  I swear by odourless garlic.  I take two pills every night and if there is a cold in the house I up the dose to 3-4 at night.  So far I have missed 3 rounds of colds and one round of the flu in the house since October. 

Goggles -I agree with the spit and avoid rubbing the lenses too much.  There are anti fog sprays that you can get but I have never come across one that works good. 

Hair care -using a swim cap is a great idea and wash your hair immediately after your swim.  I use any shampoo that is a "clean" wash, I avoid the colour treated, extra body etc.. ones.  I then use a conditioner with moisturizer in it.  I wash my hair everyday and twice a day if I go swimming. I do have healthy hair or at least that is what I get told when I go to the hair dressers.

Now the question I have is I am getting bad cramps in my calf muscles during my activities and sometimes at night while sleeping.  I stretch, then do a warm up too before activities. Followed by a cool down and stretch afterwards.  I eat a banana for potassium every day and try to consume 6-8 cups of water a day.  Does anyone have advice on what else I can do to avoid these painful cramps??

Thanks Annemarie

2012-02-03 9:53 AM

New user

Forgot to add that I read our forum all the time.  I just want to say that you all inspire me everyday to keep my butt moving!!   THANK YOU

Smile

2012-02-03 11:21 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Well Not sure if I'm going to get home today >,< 

My earlier flight got cancelled and now i'm booked for the last flight of the day at 8PM tonight.  Snow is pounding Denver and it is on it's way to Omaha...  If I don't get out tonight it will be snowing here by 2 AM.  My fear is they will then start to cancel flights out of Omaha tomorrow..  I hate winter travel!!

Sorry - Had to vent!

2012-02-03 1:47 PM

Middle Tennessee

joey - I hope you get home!  That has to be so frustrating!

Another 30 min easy run for me today.  I really wish I was at 100%.  I am starting to panic about missing training.  

2012-02-03 2:00 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Joey - good luck getting home!  I've been exactly where you are and its no bueno. 

As for all the insight on hair and goggles...THANK YOU!  I have been wearing a silicone swim cap...but I ordered some leave-in conditioner off of SwimOutlet.com.  So, I'll be using that prior to getting in...I too, will not give up hot, hot, hot showers. 

I also ordered barracuda defogger...so I'll let you know if it works...it was the highest rated one on SwimOutlet...if all else fails, I'll resign myself to the spit method.  I have used baby shampoo for my dive mask...but don't think I'll be dragging the baby shampoo out for pool sessions...I would think a trail of suds isn't something I need to leave in the pool.

Everyone - stick to your guns this weekend and I'll do my best to stick to mine!! 

Ciao!

T.

2012-02-03 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4027363

User image

Veteran
Clemson
amm777 - 2012-02-03 10:20 AM

Now the question I have is I am getting bad cramps in my calf muscles during my activities and sometimes at night while sleeping.  I stretch, then do a warm up too before activities. Followed by a cool down and stretch afterwards.  I eat a banana for potassium every day and try to consume 6-8 cups of water a day.  Does anyone have advice on what else I can do to avoid these painful cramps??

Thanks Annemarie

I'm not sure what help it is but something is off. I was actually going to post this very same question, a lot of times I get calf cramps while swimming. I was told banana and rehydration. I haven't seen very much improvement. And I found out bananas are high calorie. But I also take a multivitamin every day. Maybe salt imbalance? I don't drink many workout or recovery drinks, mostly water and tea. Annemarie, how is your hydration/salt, could that be it? Anyone else have $.02?

Edited by coolgenes 2012-02-03 3:22 PM

2012-02-03 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
This morning my legs weren't as tired as I thought but after yesterday's workout just decided to do TRX. nice change. I definitely need to get on YouTube for some better instructional videos though.

I did something I said I wouldn't, I bought one of those trisuits, SportsBasement had a Zoot one in yellow and black (my favorite color) for $32 and free shipping, I have a hard time getting bike shorts for that so I couldn't pass it up. I doubt if anyone will see me in it for a couple months yet though I'm a little shy for that yet.
2012-02-03 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4028260

Middle Tennessee

coolgenes - 2012-02-03 3:22 PM

I'm not sure what help it is but something is off. I was actually going to post this very same question, a lot of times I get calf cramps while swimming. I was told banana and rehydration. I haven't seen very much improvement. And I found out bananas are high calorie. But I also take a multivitamin every day. Maybe salt imbalance? I don't drink many workout or recovery drinks, mostly water and tea. Annemarie, how is your hydration/salt, could that be it? Anyone else have $.02?

Not definitively, but if you are only getting calf cramps while swimming, it could be from all the toe pointing from the kick, and an muscle strength thing.  You could try doing alternating calf raises/ stretches.  You stand on a step and lift your heels up (stand on your toes) then you drop your heel all the way down, so it is below your toes.  Which alternates a strength build with a stretch.  

2012-02-03 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4028285

User image

Veteran
Clemson
KatNWater - 2012-02-03 4:30 PM

coolgenes - 2012-02-03 3:22 PM

Not definitively, but if you are only getting calf cramps while swimming, it could be from all the toe pointing from the kick, and an muscle strength thing.  You could try doing alternating calf raises/ stretches.  You stand on a step and lift your heels up (stand on your toes) then you drop your heel all the way down, so it is below your toes.  Which alternates a strength build with a stretch.  

That diagnosis actually makes some sense knowing my history. that same exercise was prescribed to me when I was coming back from ITBS. I'll try that thanks. I guess we still need to help Annemarie though as her issue sounds a little different.
2012-02-04 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Happy Saturday...heading out for an 8-9 mile run this afternoon after lunch. Supposed to be warmish and sunny (at least until 3pm) so that will be a welcome change!
2012-02-04 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Happy Saturday!

Well I made it home safe and sound last night around midnight.. 

I had the joy of shoveling about 2 feet of snow this morning since the wife didn't bother to shovel any for the past two days  took about two hours... 

I need to get a swim and run in today, but I don't feel like leaving the house.  I might just jump on the spin bike for a while.

2012-02-04 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4029183

Middle Tennessee

enders_shadow - 2012-02-04 9:02 AM Happy Saturday...heading out for an 8-9 mile run this afternoon after lunch. Supposed to be warmish and sunny (at least until 3pm) so that will be a welcome change!

That sounds delightful!

Joey- glad you made it home.

I am going to decontaminate my house, and get an easy spin in.

2012-02-04 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4029277

Fairfax, VA
KatNWater - 2012-02-04 11:40 AM

I am going to decontaminate my house...

LOL

Edited by No Mayo 2012-02-04 5:08 PM
2012-02-04 5:14 PM

Fairfax, VA
It was ~45 degrees and rainy out, but I forced myself out for a 4.5 miler. My knees were achy towards the end there.

Nowadays, I run on primarily on gravel/dirt trails, but on Monday I did 5k on asphalt and my knees haven't been quite right since. They were aching when I went for another run on Thursday. I went back to gravel for that & yesterday they were already feeling better.

I haven't actually had this issue before, but maybe that's because I used to run mostly on pavement.

Should I mix it up a bit more so I don't kill my knees at any races? Anybody else have similar issues?
2012-02-05 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Holy Wow!  Where did my weekend go??!  I apologize for being out of touch for a few days.  Life went from calm and quiet to insanely busy!  Mostly all of my busy was of the fun variety so I can't complain too much.  Things are finally starting to return my usual boring levels so I'll do my best to get caught up with posts over the next 24 hours.

One thing I saw crop up was a question about muscle cramps.  Unfortunately, there are no firm scientific answers as to why muscle cramps occur.  The two generally accepted answers are (1) dehydration/electrolyte imbalance and (2) training/racing beyond your current fitness level.

If you are eatting a healthy balanced diet and are getting an appropriate amount of water then I would look first at the intensity of your training.  Do you experience cramping during every workout?  Or just during harder efforts?  During all three sports?  Or just one in particular? 

2012-02-05 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4029642

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

No Mayo - 2012-02-04 6:14 PM It was ~45 degrees and rainy out, but I forced myself out for a 4.5 miler. My knees were achy towards the end there. Nowadays, I run on primarily on gravel/dirt trails, but on Monday I did 5k on asphalt and my knees haven't been quite right since. They were aching when I went for another run on Thursday. I went back to gravel for that & yesterday they were already feeling better. I haven't actually had this issue before, but maybe that's because I used to run mostly on pavement. Should I mix it up a bit more so I don't kill my knees at any races? Anybody else have similar issues?

How old are your shoes?  I get achy knees as the milage on my shoes gets too high.  If they are newer shoes than it could just be that you're not used to pounding of the pavement.  If you plan on doing longer road races then you might want to consider slowly adding in some training miles on pavement.  For example, once a week you break one of your shorter runs up so that you run on a combo of pavement and trails.  If you get through that without pain then you can up the percentage of time on the road until, once a week, you are running exclusively on pavement.

2012-02-05 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Ok, I need help. I ran Sat. Morning, nothing too spectacular but a good run. My calves were tight but not abnormal, I had just run Thurs. But then it turned into such a nice day instead of raining I went for an excellent ride. Today my legs are great, except my calves are rocks. What can I do? is this from ridind and running the same day? Will I eventually get used to this?
2012-02-05 9:55 PM

New user

I started concentrating on better stretching on my calf's and eventhough I was drinking water through out the day I started drinking a Gatorade during/after my workouts and the cramps are less. The night ones....I think I have restless legs.....and I always have vivid dreams that wake me so that may be part of it too. As for the intensity of the workouts. Yes I'm doing a lot but I feel the swimming part/days are so enjoyable that they feel like rest days. I know that's strange but I feel natural in the water. Kinda peaceful......with no kids. Thanks for all who gave input.
2012-02-06 12:10 AM

Middle Tennessee
amm777 - are you still waking at night with calf cramps, and having vivid dreams about swimming? If so, that would tell me I was doing too much, too hard. If it keeps up for a few more nights, you might want to consider backing down on how hard/long you are swimming for a few days to see if it helps. You might aslo tyr doing a PM you routine. One that was designed to relax you and give a gentle stretch. I am by no means an expert, this is just what I would try *please disregaurd and weird spellings/typos. I am posting from my phone, and half the time I can't see what I typed*
2012-02-06 12:14 AM

Middle Tennessee
See there is one now. PM yoga routine before bed -
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23